The Culmination of It All - Tom & Sarah's WDW HONEYMOON Pre-Trip Report

It really has been a long time in the making. It has been roughly two and a half years since I first reported our Engagement during Christmas Wishes! on the Beach of the Polynesian. During that time, we have taken four additional trips to WDW in August 2008,
November/December 2008, August 2009 and October 2009.

For those unfamiliar with us, here are the characters to the Story. I'm Tom, the male. Sarah, female, is my beautiful fiancee.

The planning began almost immediately after we returned from that engagement trip with the first inquiry being a substantial one: Walt Disney World wedding? This question was one that we really struggled with. If we did a Disney wedding, that would effectively preclude many family members from attending, either as they wouldn't or couldn't fly, or that it would be too expensive for them to attend. Conversely, the wedding is about us, and Walt Disney World is definitely the location that best represents us. Me being the selfish one, I was slightly leaning towards the WDW option, while Sarah was leaning towards the other option, a wedding at our college, which is also conveniently halfway between Indianapolis, Sarah's hometown, and Plainwell (Michigan), my hometown. When we went on the August 2008 trip, we met with a Disney Fairytale Wedding planner, which sealed the deal. Although there are options priced for all budgets, the value for our money we could get in Valparaiso far exceeded Disney's comparable offering. Thus a Valparaiso wedding it would be.

The only other planning detail to which I can speak is the photographer, as that was my main task. My requirement here was that we find someone better than me. While that might sound arrogant, there are a surprising number of terrible wedding photographers out there. It seems these days anyone who buys a DSLR immediately fancies themselves as a professional. That is not the case. (Let this be a word of caution to any of you about to get married...make sure you do your homework and get an actual wedding photographer, not some cheap-o fly-by-night hack). It took a little while, but I ultimately found a great guy, who also happens to be a stunning photographer. Certainly miles above my ability, so I have no worries there.

If you have other questions about the planning details (I know that stuff might appeal to girls, and I suppose is a proper subject for a pre-trip report!), pose them here, and maybe Sarah will stop out of the shadows of lurkerdom, and post to answer them. Anything else you want to find out about the wedding can be found at our Wedding Website, AyresBricker.com.

Okay, enough actual wedding details--after all, this is a pre-trip report! Let's get discussing that minor detail that seems to follow the wedding...THE HONEYMOON!

Since we couldn't do a WDW wedding, we decided we had to do a WDW honeymoon! We started planning this at around the same time wedding planning began, with the fitting resort destination being the Polynesian. After all, it was where we got engaged, and our "dream" resort. Then we saw the price tag. Unfortunately, being a student doesn't pay as well as it might seem, so that was difficult to stomach.

Still, it would be our honeymoon, and we thought we deserved a little luxury. I started tossing around ideas, and one that I kept coming back to was Disney Vacation Club. We had already done several DVC tours (mostly for the free swag) both in WDW and at the Doorway to Dreams store in Chicago, and were subscribed to several resale emails, so much of the homework there was already done. I began pricing it out, and for only about $1,000 more than it would cost to stay at the Poly (assuming a reasonable discount on the Poly for our stay) we could buy a DVC contract that, if we banked all of our 2009 points and borrowed all of our 2011 points, would be enough to stay at Beach Club, BoardWalk, or Bay Lake Tower (three other "dream" resorts) for the duration of our stay. Even though the contract would cost $1,000 more, it was much more palatable given that it would have a great amount of residual value after our honeymoon. So we did it. It cost a substantial amount of the money we make with our summer jobs, and since we've made a lot of sacrifices during this school year and have been on a tighter budget, but we are both pretty happy about that decision.

With DVC, as you may know, you may book your non-home resort 7 months in advance. This meant that early one morning last December, we both got up and made the call to DVC at exactly 9 a.m. to book BoardWalk (first choice), Beach Club (second choice), or BLT (third choice). Sarah got through first. I watched with much eagerness. I saw her eyes light up. They BoardWalk! Woo hoo, 7 days at BoardWalk!!!

Our excitement at that point probably couldn't be much higher. Until a couple of days later, when Sarah convinced me that we should stay 10 days. I was reluctant about this at first, as I will be taking the Bar Exam in July, and I should be studying for long portions of the day everyday from May until July. Taking seven days off already has me a little nervous. But like I said above, it's our honeymoon--what the heck...and it's Disney! I can always retake the Bar! :ROFLOL:

Unfortunately, we did not have enough points to book the additional days at BoardWalk, nor was there any availability even if we did, so Sarah booked the additional three days at Old Key West. Not too shabby!!!

Around that same time, which was my finals time for the Fall semester, Sarah undertook the massive task of making our Advance Dining Reservations. Massive task is not an understatement. Since the park hours were not yet posted, Sarah made many reservations, most of which will be canceled when we get closer to the date of the actual honeymoon. Below are the ADRs we have currently. The ADR in italics is one we likely will use, bold is ones we'll definitely use, and regular font are ones likely to be canceled.

Sunday June 13, 2010:
Dinner - Kouzzina
Dinner - Garden Grill
Dinner - Kona Cafe
Dinner - 'Ohana

Monday June 14, 2010:
Lunch - Sci Fi Diner
Dinner - Sanaa
Dinner - Coral Reef
Dinner - Yak & Yeti

Tuesday June 15, 2010:
Dinner - Yak & Yeti
Dinner - Le Cellier
Dinner - Biergarten
Dinner - Coral Reef
Dinner - Sci Fi Diner

Wednesday June 16, 2010:
Breakfast - Cape May Cafe

Thursday June 17, 2010:
Dinner - Le Cellier
Dinner - 'Ohana
Dinner - Kona Cafe

Friday June 18, 2010:
Breakfast - Crystal Palace
Dinner - Victoria & Albert's

Saturday June 19, 2010:
Lunch - Beaches and Cream
Dinner - California Grill

Sunday June 20, 2010:
Dinner - Kona Cafe
Dinner - The Wave
Dinner - 'Ohana

Monday June 21, 2010:
Dinner - Sci Fi Diner
Dinner - Coral Reef Cafe
Dinner - Yak & Yeti

Tuesday June 22, 2010:
Dinner - Le Cellier
Dinner - 'Ohana

Wednesday June 23, 2010:
Breakfast - Crystal Palace

In the original post, I also had our tentative touring plan, but I think I will hold off on reposting that (it's almost bed time!) until a later date when I can be a little more thorough with it. Plus, I want to give you something to look forward to! :p We have been planning on a daily basis, so I will keep updating as more details are decided upon. Until then, thanks for reading and giving me something to do as I count down the 73 agonizing days (well, 72 agonizing days since the day before should be pretty fun!!!) until the Honeymoon!

fyn

I'm not too worried about second-guessing the photographer. I've never done much portrait work, so my ability as far as that type of photography goes is likely pretty low.

It's OK to stare longingly at your bride. It's not OK to stare longingly at the photographer's equipment...

...while your bride is around.

DrummerAlly

Great Pre-Trip Report! We have some things in common!

My fiance and I also struggled with the Disney Wedding vs. Wedding with Family struggle and we came up with the exact same solution - a wedding at our alma mater and honeymoon at Disney. Our Wedding is in July at Rutgers University and then the Yacht Club for the honeymoon! Your DVC solution is fantastic, I wish we had thought of that....

Best of luck to you both, looking forward to your post trip! :wave:

margot2791

I've been reading your trips reports and even took a peak at your wedding page. Congrats! Amazing photography too. Cannot wait to see the 'disneymoon' trip report!

DebDeb

Disneymoon ! Love it! I too have followed you two from a far and have enjoyed your photos, your love for each other, and all things Disney! Yall are precious! We will be at WDW around the same time as your "Disneymoom" so if you see someone waving and pointing at yall like a crazy fan it will be my family!!:wave:Your biggest fans from Texas!

disneygirl1

Ahhh!!! I am so excited for you guys!!! Seems like just yesterday I read your engagement trip report! My how time flies! I can not wait to see pics from the wedding and Honeymoon!!!

Gosh Tom, I could not even imagine trying to study for the bar and plan and have a wedding a at the same time!!! I'm just finishing up grad school in June and I'm completely overwhelmed!

Can't wait to hear more details. Heading over to your wedding page now!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Alright, here is the tentative schedule as it currently stands. Most of our visits are based upon starting the day in the park with morning EMH and ending the day in the park with evening EMH. Although we typically have marathon stamina, I know getting up for morning EMH will not happen everyday. In that case, in order to avoid crowds, we will switch to whatever is lowest on the TouringPlans.com crowd calendar. I am also hoping that some afternoons (the ones we're visiting EPCOT while staying in BoardWalk) we will return for an afternoon nap while the crowds are the worst. I think we both will have a tough time taking time out of the day to sleep, knowing that so much fun is to be had right outside our doors, so it is difficult to say whether that strategy will work. I will revise this calendar to make it more detailed with those contingencies at a later date.

Sunday June 13, 2010:
Following dinner, visit Magic Kingdom until close

Monday June 14, 2010:
Rise early for DHS morning EMH
leave for dinner midday
after dinner, visit Animal Kingdom late-afternoon until close

Tuesday June 15, 2010:
Rise early for MK morning EMH
leave for EPCOT evening EMH, stay until close

Wednesday June 16, 2010:
DHS/MK both open until 11pm

Thursday June 17, 2010:
leave midday for EPCOT evening EMH, stay until close

Friday June 18, 2010:
leave midday to prepare for Victoria & Albert's

Saturday June 19, 2010:
Relax in the EPCOT area around the resort
go to the MK following dinner

Sunday June 20, 2010:
Rise early for EPCOT morning EMH
leave midday for MK evening EMH, stay until close

Monday June 21, 2010:
Leave midday for AK evening

Tuesday June 22, 2010:
Leave midday for EPCOT evening EMH, stay until close

Wednesday June 23, 2010:
Arrive early for Crystal Palace breakfast, stay as late in the MK as we possibly can until the Disneymoon is over...I am already sad and the trip hasn't even started, let alone ended :(

maroman

Tom, I'm just curious. Why did you decide to purchase into the DVC rather than just buying points from a member and having them book a reservation for you? I found someone who helped us with our last 3 trips down. We stayed at Old Key West, Boardwalk and Beach Club all for probably half of what we would have had to pay normally.

I wish you both nothing but the best this year, keep up the great work with all the photos.

Mark

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Great Pre-Trip Report! We have some things in common!

My fiance and I also struggled with the Disney Wedding vs. Wedding with Family struggle and we came up with the exact same solution - a wedding at our alma mater and honeymoon at Disney. Our Wedding is in July at Rutgers University and then the Yacht Club for the honeymoon! Your DVC solution is fantastic, I wish we had thought of that....

Best of luck to you both, looking forward to your post trip! :wave:

Yeah, buying DVC would've worked great. It might still be an option if you buy now (takes about 6 weeks to close); you might end up in Saratoga or Old Key West, though. I'd probably just stick with YC. I'm sure it'll be awesome!

I've been reading your trips reports and even took a peak at your wedding page. Congrats! Amazing photography too. Cannot wait to see the 'disneymoon' trip report!

Thanks for reading and stopping in to say hello!

Disneymoon ! Love it! I too have followed you two from a far and have enjoyed your photos, your love for each other, and all things Disney! Yall are precious! We will be at WDW around the same time as your "Disneymoom" so if you see someone waving and pointing at yall like a crazy fan it will be my family!!:wave:Your biggest fans from Texas!

If you see us frolicking around the parks, stop us to say hello! Glad you've enjoyed the photos and everything!

Popping in to follow along! :)

Thanks!

Ahhh!!! I am so excited for you guys!!! Seems like just yesterday I read your engagement trip report! My how time flies! I can not wait to see pics from the wedding and Honeymoon!!!

Gosh Tom, I could not even imagine trying to study for the bar and plan and have a wedding a at the same time!!! I'm just finishing up grad school in June and I'm completely overwhelmed!

Can't wait to hear more details. Heading over to your wedding page now!

To be fair, I am not necessarily planning a wedding. I participate in some aspects of the planning (i.e. my opinion is solicited), but for the most part, it's all Sarah. I could never do it!

Tom, I'm just curious. Why did you decide to purchase into the DVC rather than just buying points from a member and having them book a reservation for you? I found someone who helped us with our last 3 trips down. We stayed at Old Key West, Boardwalk and Beach Club all for probably half of what we would have had to pay normally.

I wish you both nothing but the best this year, keep up the great work with all the photos.

Mark

We also considered renting, and that was what we were going to do before we just decided to go for it because, after doing the math, the break even point for renting versus buying resale (especially with the depressed market) wasn't that great of an amount of time. Granted, it might have been pragmatic to save that money and put it towards other necessary investments, but the problem was that doing so is easier said than done. Not that we are by any means financially irresponsible (very far from it), but not having it has forced us to be very conservative with how we have spent money this school year (for example, with the exception of a couple of McDonald's stops, we haven't gone out to eat in about 7 months). Now I know we could have just set that money aside and restrained ourselves from touching it, there is something about actually not having it that really makes you realize what is a necessity versus what is a luxury.

popsicletrees

I'm so excited for you and Sarah! Your trip reports are some of my favorites to read. I couldn't talk my fiance into going on a Disneymoon next month. He told me that he would have considered it if we hadn't gone this past January. If only I knew that in advance. About the bar, you can always take it in the winter... I know how stressful that is, so best of luck to you!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Tom, I noticed that you guys are only going to Animal Kingdom one day and that's just for part of that day. Just wondering why? Do you not like that park? What's the story?
Great pre-trip report, btw. Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I'm so excited for you and Sarah! Your trip reports are some of my favorites to read. I couldn't talk my fiance into going on a Disneymoon next month. He told me that he would have considered it if we hadn't gone this past January. If only I knew that in advance. About the bar, you can always take it in the winter... I know how stressful that is, so best of luck to you!

Well that stinks! Unfortunately, taking the Bar in February isn't quite an option as that significantly would hamper my income (and possibly employ-ability in general).

Tom, I noticed that you guys are only going to Animal Kingdom one day and that's just for part of that day. Just wondering why? Do you not like that park? What's the story?
Great pre-trip report, btw. Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

That was definitely a planning error. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the schedule for the 21st, but that should have had us in AK again. It is since been updated. I'd like to head over there for another morning, as well so we can hit the headliners without the waits.

Question:
We have heard a lot of negative things about the Sci-Fi Diner. We have wanted to go there a while because the ambiance looks great, but the negative reviews about the food have us pretty scared. Any experiences you can share with the restaurant to help us make the decision?

If you don't recommend the Sci-Fi, anything not on our list that you do recommend (nothing at the Studios) that might be classified as a 'hidden gem'?

Thanks!

lebeau

Question:
We have heard a lot of negative things about the Sci-Fi Diner. We have wanted to go there a while because the ambiance looks great, but the negative reviews about the food have us pretty scared. Any experiences you can share with the restaurant to help us make the decision?

If you don't recommend the Sci-Fi, anything not on our list that you do recommend (nothing at the Studios) that might be classified as a 'hidden gem'?

Thanks!

Everyone should try the Sci Fi once!

I've heard all bad reviews about the food. Personally, I've never experienced a bad meal at Sci Fi. The food is about what I would expect from Disney. The reason to go is the atmosphere. The place is practically an attraction in and of itself.

Don't let anyone dissuade you. Check it out for yourself. I think you'll have fun even if the food doesn't knock your socks off.

I posted a lengthy description of our most recent meal at Sci Fi here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4048620&postcount=98http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=564728&page=7

Check it out if you want to read more.

harveyt0206

I have to second what Lebeau said about Sci-Fi. I was extremly worried about the food considering the bad rap that place gets. In the end I think my low expectations worked in our favor because I was pleasantly surprised with how much we enjoyed our meals. I ordered the ribs with cole slaw and fries. For some reason, I really enjoyed the cole slaw. Weird thing to enjoy about a meal...I know. Hubby ordered the shrimp and bow tie pasta and ate every last stinking bite.

On the dessert side, I ordered some apple crisp type thing and was not pleased with it. But by that point I was so full it didn't matter.

I definitely think it is worth the visit. That's just my two cents.

KJ1081

Now I know we could have just set that money aside and restrained ourselves from touching it, there is something about actually not having it that really makes you realize what is a necessity versus what is a luxury.

Amen! As a fellow starving student, I couldn't agree more. Good luck on the bar!

Congratulations and I can't wait to read more!

cemeb4dk

Congrats to both of you. We had our honeymoon in WDW, in Aug of 02. Where we bought into the vacation club on our honeymoon. Its one of the best decisions we ever made. Some thought we were crazy buying that on our honeymoon, and you guys stepped it up and bought befor eyou got married. Thats awesome and your right, for a little extra money your getting years of vacations than just a weeks worth. Wise investment as we have never regretted it one bit.

LisaG23

:wave:Congrats on your upcoming marriage and Disneymoon Tom and Sarah!!!!! I look foward to reading about your many adventures....I hope to be writing my very first trip report when i return from my may8-16 trip to the World with my hubby. I introduced him to WDW in 2007 and he as been hooked ever since. We make 1-2 trips per year to WDW and are soooo excited to introduce our daughter to WDW in Dec for her first trip which will be on her 4th birthday!!!!!!!! This may will be our 4th trip without her but we will be doing research to see what we want to have planned for her induction into our club for DISNEY FANATICS!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see your pics and report, i hope my trip report is half as good as yours.......i may need some practice.:ROFLOL:

LisaG23

as for Sci fi
Dont go by my opinion, while the atmoshere is cool at Sci-fi, i have been there 3 times(not my choice other people demanded it) and gotten sick twice. But thats just me........many love it.

disneygirl1

Hi Tom!!! :wave: Hope all is well! I personally go to the Sci-Fi almost every trip I go on.... The food is average at best, but the atmosphere is why we keep going back. I also have an 8 year old son who things it the best thing since slice bread :ROFLOL: So that too is a major factor for our continuous visits!

plaz10

I'm so excited to read your trip report! it's always filled with gorgeous pictures, I love it!

As for Sci Fi..I've only been once. Yes the atmosphere is cool but I found the food to be terrible. And for a honeymoon trip, you might want to consider not being able to sit across and look at Sarah. It's just a thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom