The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

It was similar for me with the Challenger disaster back in 1986. I was in grade school when the explosion happen, but didn't remember anything mentioned about. There was no television in the classroom for the Challenger launch. I don't think my parents mentioned it to me at the time either.
I wasn't alive for Challenger obviously, but I remember Columbia quite clearly. I remember seeing it on the news; I was seven.

Songbird76

I remember the Challenger explosion quite clearly. I was in 4th grade and we were all gathered in the Art room to watch the launch live on tv. We were all excited about the teacher being on board and looking forward to the broadcasts she was going to do for students. When we saw it explode I don't think all of us kids knew what happened, I know I didn't. I had never seen a launch before. So when the teacher turned off the tv quickly and told us it was time for recess (and it wasn't) we all knew something had gone wrong. After the recess our teachers told us what happened. I remember my parents, especially my mom being really upset about it as well.

Apparently my husband's mom applied to be the teacher on the Challenger and did get a letter back about it. Lucky for her, she wasn't picked in the end.
I was in 3rd or 4th grade as well and we were in the school library to watch the launch....same thing, excited about the teacher on board. When it exploded, we were confused, because we didn't THINK that was what was supposed to happen. I think they just kind of hurried us out of the library and back to our classroom.

Lilofan

I wasn't alive for Challenger obviously, but I remember Columbia quite clearly. I remember seeing it on the news; I was seven.
Speaking about in the news , the trial of OJ in the early 1990s gripped and divided the nation when he was found not guilty . A comic once wrote
Q - What did OJ ask the judge when he was found not guilty?
A- Can I have my bloody gloves back?

donaldtoo

I remember the Challenger explosion quite clearly. I was in 4th grade and we were all gathered in the Art room to watch the launch live on tv. We were all excited about the teacher being on board and looking forward to the broadcasts she was going to do for students. When we saw it explode I don't think all of us kids knew what happened, I know I didn't. I had never seen a launch before. So when the teacher turned off the tv quickly and told us it was time for recess (and it wasn't) we all knew something had gone wrong. After the recess our teachers told us what happened. I remember my parents, especially my mom being really upset about it as well.

Apparently my husband's mom applied to be the teacher on the Challenger and did get a letter back about it. Lucky for her, she wasn't picked in the end.

When the Challenger tragedy happened, I was 23 years old and at work that day.
We weren’t watching the launch on TV, as shuttle launches were pretty routine at the time (although the teacher in space aspect added interest to it - interesting about your MIL), but, I always had the radio on. After I heard what happened, and spread the news, someone (can’t remember who) turned on a small TV in their office, and we saw it all.
The Columbia tragedy happened on a Saturday, so we were all at home that day, as it started breaking up over Texas.
We knew about the debris issue during launch, but, many “in the know” seemed to not be too concerned about it.
I have very vivid, sad, memories of both incidents.

donaldtoo

Hey, how's the mosquito population in everyone's area lately? We seem to have a bumper crop of them this summer (maybe because of all the rain?). All I know is that they always bite me. :cautious: Annoying, but even more than that, my county is listed at high risk for West Nile recently. :jawdrop:

Mosquitos were a problem here earlier this spring and summer when we were getting quite a bit more rain. But, not so much now, as it’s been relatively dry lately, which is pretty normal for us late summer/early fall.
But, yes, West Nile Virus was also reported on the rise in our county during those earlier, wetter, days.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hey, how's the mosquito population in everyone's area lately? We seem to have a bumper crop of them this summer (maybe because of all the rain?). All I know is that they always bite me. :cautious: Annoying, but even more than that, my county is listed at high risk for West Nile recently. :jawdrop:
Actually not too bad. That being said the citronella plants on my deck are doing their usual excellent job and I spray before going walking outdoors so that may skew my view

wdwfan4ver

I got bit a week ago despite I was sprayed. I got bit on the head and a couple times on the neck while mowing the lawn. I was mowing my parents back and front yard.

My dad was given orders not to mow lawn by the doctor.

wdwfan4ver

How's your dad doing?
He's doing okay although he's been frustrated at times. The frustration is not a surprised because he was this way when recovering from his triple bypass back in 2011.

He saw his regular doctor soon to be 2 weeks ago and did get answers such as what caused his heart attack. His scheduled cardio exercises are starting tomorrow. His instructions were to take it easy for 4 to 6 weeks. He's going to see the cardiologist later this week. The instructions included not allowed to do stuff like mowing the lawn or using the snow blower.

What caused his mild heart attack of his 3 bypasses were blocked. Bypass because he had triple bypass surgery in 2011 after heart scan was done after failing stress test. His former doctor in 2011 wanted that stress test before he was able to do some type of an exercise program to lose weight that my dad wanted. That stress test in 2011 prevented a heart attack from happening during the winter of 2011-2012.

The other 2 bypasses look so good that they can last another 20 to 30 years.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

our city is spraying for mosquitoes because two of their samples tested positive for west Nile.

Figgy1

Premium Member
He's doing okay although frustrated at times. The frustration is not a surprised because he was this way when recovering from his triple bypass back in 2011.

He saw his regular doctor soon to be 2 weeks ago and did get answers such as what caused his heart attack. His scheduled cardio exercises are starting tomorrow. His instructions were to take it easy for 4 to 6 weeks. He's going to see the cardiologist later this week. The instructions included not allowed to do stuff like mowing the lawn or using the snow blower.

What caused his mild heart attack of his 3 bypasses were blocked. Bypass because he had triple bypass surgery in 2011 after heart scan was done after failing stress test. His former doctor in 2011 wanted that stress test before he was able to do some type of an exercise program to lose weight that my dad wanted. That stress test in 2011 prevented a heart attack from happening during the winter of 2011-2012.

The other 2 bypasses look so good that they can last another 20 to 30 years.
From what I understand no lawn care including raking or leaf blowing are also on the list of activities not to do after such procedures. Prayers and pixie dust for a speedy recovery

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Can't really say about the mosquitos in our yard we have a company come and spray our yard from April until the first frost. They use a natural based spray so it is safe for Kapono and our garden. It does a good job of keeping the skeeters away and it is supposed to kill ticks as well. It doesn't do a whole lot to deter flies though.

I haven't really noticed any skeeters on walks either.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
When the Challenger tragedy happened, I was 23 years old and at work that day.
We weren’t watching the launch on TV, as shuttle launches were pretty routine at the time (although the teacher in space aspect added interest to it - interesting about your MIL), but, I always had the radio on. After I heard what happened, and spread the news, someone (can’t remember who) turned on a small TV in their office, and we saw it all.
The Columbia tragedy happened on a Saturday, so we were all at home that day, as it started breaking up over Texas.
We knew about the debris issue during launch, but, many “in the know” seemed to not be too concerned about it.
I have very vivid, sad, memories of both incidents.

I remember the Columbia too, when I first caught a glimpse of it on the news I thought it was the Challenger anniversary but I quickly realized it wasn't.

93boomer

Premium Member
We have a ton. I can't get outside in the evening without getting bit.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We have a ton. I can't get outside in the evening without getting bit.
The raccoon and James would suggest
flamethrower GIF

Goofyernmost

I think you're missing a good bit of crap that happened in your lifetime, but listing it all out isn't necessary. Except covid has been the pretty major recent one.

As for the second point, I think the only person who was unable to get it on this thread was me, and I got my first shot a couple of weeks ago, so you're good. But that's an entirely different story.
There are a lot of things I left out, but the ones I listed were more the things that directly affected me. Perhaps surprisingly, the worst was the Cuban Missile Crisis. We lived on the east gate of Plattsburgh AFB which was a Strategic Air Command base that had a large contingency of B-52's loaded with Nuclear weapons. That place was also considered that first place that Russia would bomb in the event of war. I was 13 years old and had a real threat of not getting any older. My bedroom window overlooked the entrance and the guard house and for what seemed like forever, cars continuously were arriving and entering the base not leaving until an agreement was reached. The big jets were in the air for most of the time, but the base was on super high alert. The city of Plattsburgh never got into the fallout shelter frenzy back then because we all knew that if a nuclear bomb had detonated anywhere on the base, a shelter would only serve as a travel vessel to the moon. All that would be left behind is a humongous creator.

I also think that anything prior to my fun vacation to the Vietnam War had the most affect. After you had people you didn't even know lobbing rockets and shells at you willy-nilly, the rest of everything, is just another thing to live through and certainly not shocking in the sense that it causes extreme anxiety. It really does not get anymore personal than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom