The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I was alive for it but remember nothing about it. Honestly, I'm just as glad that I learned about it as more of a history event. Enough horrible stuff has happened during my lifetime.
My, of age, generation got to experience, The Cuban Crisis, the Vietnam war, the assassination of President Kennedy, the live broadcast of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassination of Martin Luther King, the assassination of Robert Kennedy, 9/11 and the January 6th insurrection. Personally, I've had more than enough.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

In all the trips we've taken neither boy ever asked for a balloon.
Mine did, but they never got one. For one thing, when we planned our trips we always told the girls that if they wanted to buy something special they needed to save their allowances and buy whatever they wanted. In those days, we were on a strict budget. So when they begged and pleaded for a balloon I simply said. You have money buy yourself one. All of a sudden it was no longer needed. I believe both left WDW with the same amount of money that they went with. They desperately wanted whatever Dad and Mom would pay for otherwise, meh!

StarWarsGirl

My, of age, generation got to experience, The Cuban Crisis, the Vietnam war, the assassination of President Kennedy, the live broadcast of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassination of Martin Luther King, the assassination of Robert Kennedy, 9/11 and the January 6th insurrection. Personally, I've had more than enough.
And now covid. Don't forget that.

Lilofan

After 9/11 a number of people enlisted in the military to join the fight on terror. One of my fellow peers back in the day had a son who enlisted in the Army and joined the infantry. He was KIA a week before Mothers Day in 2003 fighting the enemy in Afghanistan. I will never forget 9/11 .

wdwfan4ver

I was alive for it but remember nothing about it. Honestly, I'm just as glad that I learned about it as more of a history event. Enough horrible stuff has happened during my lifetime.
It was similar for me with the Challenger disaster back in 1986. I was in grade school when the explosion happen, but didn't remember anything mentioned about. There was no television in the classroom for the Challenger launch. I don't think my parents mentioned it to me at the time either.

Goofyernmost

And now covid. Don't forget that.
If I do that, I have to include the first decade of my life which had a Polio epidemic. We solved that quickly by all of us being smart enough to get vaccinated. (I know the reaction some will have to this, however, please understand that I am fully aware that some can't get it, so this is not directed at those being in that unfortunate position.)

Goofyernmost

It was similar for me with the Challenger disaster back in 1986. I was in grade school when the explosion happen, but didn't remember anything mentioned about. There was no television in the classroom for the Challenger launch. I don't think my parents mentioned it to me at the time either.
By the time the challenger launched the space program had achieved some pretty spectacular stuff. As humans do, overexposure tends to decreased interest. I still remember the Mercury program launches. Watching little tiny 10" B&W TV screens in school during the early launches.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I remember the Challenger explosion quite clearly. I was in 4th grade and we were all gathered in the Art room to watch the launch live on tv. We were all excited about the teacher being on board and looking forward to the broadcasts she was going to do for students. When we saw it explode I don't think all of us kids knew what happened, I know I didn't. I had never seen a launch before. So when the teacher turned off the tv quickly and told us it was time for recess (and it wasn't) we all knew something had gone wrong. After the recess our teachers told us what happened. I remember my parents, especially my mom being really upset about it as well.

Apparently my husband's mom applied to be the teacher on the Challenger and did get a letter back about it. Lucky for her, she wasn't picked in the end.

Songbird76

Mine did, but they never got one. For one thing, when we planned our trips we always told the girls that if they wanted to buy something special they needed to save their allowances and buy whatever they wanted. In those days, we were on a strict budget. So when they begged and pleaded for a balloon I simply said. You have money buy yourself one. All of a sudden it was no longer needed. I believe both left WDW with the same amount of money that they went with. They desperately wanted whatever Dad and Mom would pay for otherwise, meh!
We gave our kids each a small amount with which to buy souveniers on our vacation, and of course Oma and Opa also gave them some, and my brother and his husband gave them each a little. This was on our 2016 trip. E saw a pair of Minnie ears that she loved and really wanted. We looked and couldn't find them in the parks, so we made time to go to Disney Springs to check World of Disney. They were $27! We have always taught the kids to check prices, and to think about what else they could get with that money and how much they really wanted that item and was it worth it. She decided it wasn't worth that much. Seriously, there were t shirts that cost less and she wouldn't be wearing the ears outside of Disney, so it really wasn't worth the money for something she'd only wear for a week or so. Then for the 2019 trip, we just made our own ears so we could have whatever we wanted for a lot cheaper!

StarWarsGirl

If I do that, I have to include the first decade of my life which had a Polio epidemic. We solved that quickly by all of us being smart enough to get vaccinated. (I know the reaction some will have to this, however, please understand that I am fully aware that some can't get it, so this is not directed at those being in that unfortunate position.)
I think you're missing a good bit of crap that happened in your lifetime, but listing it all out isn't necessary. Except covid has been the pretty major recent one.

As for the second point, I think the only person who was unable to get it on this thread was me, and I got my first shot a couple of weeks ago, so you're good. But that's an entirely different story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom