The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Hi! School has been very busy and these past two weeks in particular have been very hectic. From the start we have had kids in person and over Zoom and that has continued. I only have middle school this year and they are in cohorts (one group together all day) and for the last two weeks we had one group at home in quarantine, any many other kids and staff were out as well. We even broke some of those cohorts in half and had kids doing distance learning in our gyms. Our middle/high school building was down to 1 janitor so the rest of us were left to do cleaning duties and the kitchen staff was down too so many teachers and other staff (and even the husband of one of our administrators) had to step in there too. A school board member even came in as a substitute teacher. Our school board has voted to go totally virtually for pre-school through grade 12 until Christmas break and will assess and maybe continue until mid-January. So there is a bit of a pivot there for us and planning lessons. Luckily the students already had this week off and teacher had inservice which will now be planning time. Uff da! It's been a little crazy, I'm just so tired at the end of the day and haven't posted here much as I don't want to be on the computer as much anymore by the time the day is done.

I think virtual will go okay, the kids all have practice using Zoom and Google Classroom it will be a matter of them showing up! If students don't have internet access they can still come to school and work in our gyms and cafeteria. My concern is still about my Spanish speaking student, I finally have a plan for him (which I have developed basically on my own) now he is going to lumped into the Zooms for all his classes. I did talk to our guidance counselor and I think there might be a plan for bringing him into school maybe with the Special Ed kids that are coming in. But we'll see, 2020 is a go with the flow type of year. We can't even have a staff Christmas party this year, so I am arranging a staff White Elephant alcohol exchange for staff for fun this year instead, I think we all need a little holiday beer, oops I mean cheer! ;) :hilarious:

As for hubs and church, all activities are shut down. There are still services most are online or parking lot (over a radio transmitter). The church does have one in-person service on Sunday and he scheduled it at 8am when he knew he wouldn't get many people. There have only been 2 of those and the first week there were a total of 15 people and last week 3 people for that in person service. For Christmas he is planning 5 services on Christmas Eve and one Christmas Day service and it is reservation only. There is an online reservation site he is using and people can call if they don't do internet stuff. Usually there are only 2 services on Christmas Eve and only on Christmas Day if it is on a Sunday. It will be a different Christmas Eve for sure, I have a reservation for one of the in person Eve services and I'm torn about it. I can't imagine not going to church on Christmas Eve, it is actually my favorite part of Christmas but I'm a little nervous even though I'm in the thick of all these people at school.

Probably more info than you asked for but thanks for asking. 🙂

Good lord . . . you and hubby are spread very thin with so much work to do. I'm thinking that maybe the Zoom schooling might be o.k. through the end of the year, considering how disruptive the holiday season is, to begin with. Maybe with teachers and kids at home learning, it may actually be less stressful all around. I am amazed at how resilient you are with all these changes going on. You deserve a lot of credit, not to even mention the program you've created for your Spanish-speaking pupil as well.

As for the church services, that must also be difficult for your hubs. I'm sure his congregation must still need to connect with him, and many probably miss the in-person services. I'm not surprised that the attendance went way down, as I mentioned, it's the same in my area as well. At least he can do online and sometimes an outdoor service. What intrigues me is how well the Christmas services will go, with some strict guidelines.

Perhaps we all just have to look at all this as something temporary (even though it's been a long time); and eventually at some point next year, I think we'll start to see some normal gatherings again. Hang in there.

donaldtoo

Get used to it, that is something that is going to, not only continue, but expand with every passing year. I remember a little group that I used to hang with at work years ago. We talked about everything and I felt a real part of the discussion. Age never entered the scenario, then during one lunch time one of the guys mentioned that he was in grammar school with my daughter. For a brief period of time all the air in my balloon escaped. I realized that I was not part of that group, but indeed more of a Father figure. Most of the feeling was me, of course, but it still altered how I felt about it. I was the "old" man of the group. Turns out I had socks older then almost all of them.

Yea, I have my pops sock hand-me-downs, and he’ll 88 on Jan. 1st, so I have socks even older than you...!!!!! :hilarious:
JK, LOL, and all that jazz...!!!!! :D

wdwfan4ver

We need a "confused" emoji in the reaction bar. I've never ever heard of anyone having pasta at Thanksgiving.
I haven't either according to memory.

I can tell you that this year thanksgiving will be have Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, Peas & carrots, stuffing, cranberry sauce and Hawaiian rolls for sure. Pumpkin pie for dessert.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Our high school district over the summer hired a firm that teaches remote learning. They supply the well trained in remote learning instructors with certification in the subject they teach. It also allows for a diverse curriculum And special needs. The classroom teachers audit classes while happening and assist students struggling or need revised curriculum. It is what The curriculum it what the comm college does for high schoolers that attend college in their junior and senior years Of high school.
The district tried to let the students come back in October and that lasted 4 days.

This week my DD was told they would not return to the tower until at least after Memorial Day. By Governor new mandates my son had to shutter 3/4 of his facility. Spent 2/3 of his last 2 days furloughing the majority of his staff and had to pick which one of his 3 full time office staff to furlough. He already did this once and half of those went from furlough to being ultimately laid off. He has gone from about 250 well trained employees down to about 35. If a vaccine comes about how he will replace these people will be a challenge. So glad he has a puppy

28DFD529-E61F-48F1-8A0D-67135C1CB6B3.jpeg

Figgy1

Premium Member
Our high school district over the summer hired a firm that teaches remote learning. They supply the well trained in remote learning instructors with certification in the subject they teach. It also allows for a diverse curriculum And special needs. The classroom teachers audit classes while happening and assist students struggling or need revised curriculum. It is what The curriculum it what the comm college does for high schoolers that attend college in their junior and senior years Of high school.
The district tried to let the students come back in October and that lasted 4 days.

This week my DD was told they would not return to the tower until at least after Memorial Day. By Governor new mandates my son had to shutter 3/4 of his facility. Spent 2/3 of his last 2 days furloughing the majority of his staff and had to pick which one of his 3 full time office staff to furlough. He already did this once and half of those went from furlough to being ultimately laid off. He has gone from about 250 well trained employees down to about 35. If a vaccine comes about how he will replace these people will be a challenge. So glad he has a puppy

View attachment 514751
Your poor son all of this has to be so rough on him. He has our sympathy xoxo The Figgy clan

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Good lord . . . you and hubby are spread very thin with so much work to do. I'm thinking that maybe the Zoom schooling might be o.k. through the end of the year, considering how disruptive the holiday season is, to begin with. Maybe with teachers and kids at home learning, it may actually be less stressful all around. I am amazed at how resilient you are with all these changes going on. You deserve a lot of credit, not to even mention the program you've created for your Spanish-speaking pupil as well.

As for the church services, that must also be difficult for your hubs. I'm sure his congregation must still need to connect with him, and many probably miss the in-person services. I'm not surprised that the attendance went way down, as I mentioned, it's the same in my area as well. At least he can do online and sometimes an outdoor service. What intrigues me is how well the Christmas services will go, with some strict guidelines.

Perhaps we all just have to look at all this as something temporary (even though it's been a long time); and eventually at some point next year, I think we'll start to see some normal gatherings again. Hang in there.

Thanks for kind words, please keep us in your thoughts! And Brad has gotten a lot of comments about missing in person worship and him but attendance has been really good for the parking lot services at 9 am every Sunday and he plans to bundle up as the weather continues to get colder as long as needed.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I got more than got my money's worth out of it over the years. Just making baby food and using it for holidays probably had it paying for itself. It's replacement :cry: :cry: :cry: should be here soon and that's where some of the rest of my morning went. The how manyeth replacement model for the one I had doesn't have good reviews so I had to go searching.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

What did you get?

The like is for having a 20 year old dishwasher

Fun game idea... What/who is older, your appliances or @StarWarsGirl 😂😂

StarWarsGirl

What did you get?

Fun game idea... What/who is older, your appliances or @StarWarsGirl 😂😂
Hmm, let's see...

My dad's pencil sharpener vs. Me: the pencil sharpener
My dad's air compressor vs. me: The air compressor, but he's the only one who uses it. I have a newer one that you don't need ear protection to use.
The garage freezer vs. Me: Me, but I think it's older than B
The order entry system at work vs. Me: the order entry system at work. By a decade :rolleyes:

StarWarsGirl

I'll play my food processor was older than @StarWarsGirl, my dh has a table saw about her age. Everything else is younger. I have a really cheap Black Friday hand mixer that's as old as James:eek: My old stand mixer that got passed down when we upgraded is her ageish and still going. My mother in law's stand mixer is almost 10 years older than her
I just named a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other appliances around here that are older than I am, given that my dad will use something until it absolutely dies.

There's a radio in the garage with an 8 track player in it. Still works.

Dad still has a collection of 8 tracks somewhere...

There's also a stereo in the basement that's older than me, but it just died. We should probably get rid of it; there's an Echo down there and it just takes up space.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I just named a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other appliances around here that are older than I am, given that my dad will use something until it absolutely dies.

There's a radio in the garage with an 8 track player in it. Still works.

Dad still has a collection of 8 tracks somewhere...

There's also a stereo in the basement that's older than me, but it just died. We should probably get rid of it; there's an Echo down there and it just takes up space.
Dh has a boom box in the garage that plays cassettes, a functioning Atari with cartridges, some actual as in older than @Goofyernmost antique hand tools, there's a Game Boy no color in the house, a boxes of computer parts some may date back to the stone age, I have a couple of curling irons that were purchased after older ds was born but before James (they work no need to upgrade) @StarWarsGirl you really should rethink the garage;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
@dryerlintfan I just got an inexpensive Hamilton Beach with a spiralizer and ribbon cutter attachment in addition to the usual stuff that comes with a processor. I couldn't find a lot of reviews as it's a new item. It didn't cost a lot 5 years on the motor and my cheapie that has taken some abuse is also a HB

I need something but I can't decide if I should get a hand mixer or a food processor. But the time is drawing near for ginger cookies and I CANNOT do those by hand again 😬😬😂😂

StarWarsGirl

Dh has a boom box in the garage that plays cassettes, a functioning Atari with cartridges, some actual as in older than @Goofyernmost antique hand tools, there's a Game Boy no color in the house, a boxes of computer parts some may date back to the stone age, I have a couple of curling irons that were purchased after older ds was born but before James (they work no need to upgrade) @StarWarsGirl you really should rethink the garage;)
I think the oldest things are probably my violin and viola. They're from the 1800s. I need to put new strings on the viola and get fine tuning pegs for both. They're such good quality, though, that I never want to play anything else.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I need something but I can't decide if I should get a hand mixer or a food processor. But the time is drawing near for ginger cookies and I CANNOT do those by hand again 😬😬😂😂
I use my processor more. I make a batch or several of hummus every week, I have half way decent knife skills so I don't use it for "small" batch slicing but it's convenient for grating carrots, beets etc. I'd get what you'd use more or make your life easier in general

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom