The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

FutureCEO

This is beyond cool. The British paramedics are using a personal jetpack to lift them to mountainous terrain rescues. So much faster than trekking in to the injured. (Really interesting video, even if you only have time for 2 1/2 minutes, of the 5 minute video.)

@FutureCEO in particular, I figured you'd love this, since it's British. :happy: (P.S.: Hope your new job is going well.)

That is really cool. Like the Jetsons. But think of the cost.

Britain: free or low cost
USA: You owe the next 24 years of your salary

But job is going well. I still like it after 2.5 weeks which I think is a personal best.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
This is beyond cool. The British paramedics are using a personal jetpack to lift them to mountainous terrain rescues. So much faster than trekking in to the injured. (Really interesting video, even if you only have time for 2 1/2 minutes, of the 5 minute video.)

@FutureCEO in particular, I figured you'd love this, since it's British. :happy: (P.S.: Hope your new job is going well.)

I thought we had a rule about not posting things that would get the ferret in trouble no matter how cool they are ;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl , how is the teaching going lately? I have a feeling that you've been very busy dealing with all the various changes. I know that around here, many schools have a hybrid model. Sometimes that gets changed as well, if a kid tests positive. It's really difficult for schools and families to navigate through all this. I hope your area has a low infection rate.

Does your hubs have any in-person Sunday services, or does he do them online? Around here, the in-person attendance in various churches, etc., is down well over 50% for months now (even with social distancing, masks, etc.) People are nervous about congregating in enclosed spaces with others for 30-45 minutes. The TV (and online) services of many denominations, have picked up a large following, as a result.

Hi! School has been very busy and these past two weeks in particular have been very hectic. From the start we have had kids in person and over Zoom and that has continued. I only have middle school this year and they are in cohorts (one group together all day) and for the last two weeks we had one group at home in quarantine, any many other kids and staff were out as well. We even broke some of those cohorts in half and had kids doing distance learning in our gyms. Our middle/high school building was down to 1 janitor so the rest of us were left to do cleaning duties and the kitchen staff was down too so many teachers and other staff (and even the husband of one of our administrators) had to step in there too. A school board member even came in as a substitute teacher. Our school board has voted to go totally virtually for pre-school through grade 12 until Christmas break and will assess and maybe continue until mid-January. So there is a bit of a pivot there for us and planning lessons. Luckily the students already had this week off and teacher had inservice which will now be planning time. Uff da! It's been a little crazy, I'm just so tired at the end of the day and haven't posted here much as I don't want to be on the computer as much anymore by the time the day is done.

I think virtual will go okay, the kids all have practice using Zoom and Google Classroom it will be a matter of them showing up! If students don't have internet access they can still come to school and work in our gyms and cafeteria. My concern is still about my Spanish speaking student, I finally have a plan for him (which I have developed basically on my own) now he is going to lumped into the Zooms for all his classes. I did talk to our guidance counselor and I think there might be a plan for bringing him into school maybe with the Special Ed kids that are coming in. But we'll see, 2020 is a go with the flow type of year. We can't even have a staff Christmas party this year, so I am arranging a staff White Elephant alcohol exchange for staff for fun this year instead, I think we all need a little holiday beer, oops I mean cheer! ;) :hilarious:

As for hubs and church, all activities are shut down. There are still services most are online or parking lot (over a radio transmitter). The church does have one in-person service on Sunday and he scheduled it at 8am when he knew he wouldn't get many people. There have only been 2 of those and the first week there were a total of 15 people and last week 3 people for that in person service. For Christmas he is planning 5 services on Christmas Eve and one Christmas Day service and it is reservation only. There is an online reservation site he is using and people can call if they don't do internet stuff. Usually there are only 2 services on Christmas Eve and only on Christmas Day if it is on a Sunday. It will be a different Christmas Eve for sure, I have a reservation for one of the in person Eve services and I'm torn about it. I can't imagine not going to church on Christmas Eve, it is actually my favorite part of Christmas but I'm a little nervous even though I'm in the thick of all these people at school.

Probably more info than you asked for but thanks for asking. 🙂

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We need a "confused" emoji in the reaction bar. I've never ever heard of anyone having pasta at Thanksgiving.

I've never heard of having pasta for Thanksgiving either, just not what our menu was traditionally for us. I'm not against it though, if there was some mac and cheese or baked ziti at Thanksgiving I would put a scoop on my plate. As a family we always (and still do) have a wild rice side dish for Thanksgiving but Brad thought it was weird at first but in our area wild rice is a fairly common thing because wild rice was commonly grown in our the area.

donaldtoo

Yup, this was a blast! :p

After 3 p.m. yesterday, I had the TV on in the background for a few hours, and was watching some of it on the Science Channel. Then I logged in to the NASA live stream as it got closer to lift-off. It was really fun to watch, and lord knows, we need an exciting diversion these days. :happy:

Funny thing was that the live stream on my phone did not have the 1-2 second delay, that was on one of the regular TV channels. So, I could see the "live" moment of lift-off on the phone first, and then see if again (not quite so "live") about a second later, on TV! :hilarious:
Yep, watched it here too, and very exciting...!!! :)
So glad we don’t need the help of the Russians to get our people into space anymore.
The long gap between the end of the shuttle program and this era always frustrated me. :bored:
This all took partnering with private industry on a scale never seen before, but, I have no problem with that, at all...I’m just glad we’re all in again...!!!!! 🇺🇸:happy:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hi! School has been very busy and these past two weeks in particular have been very hectic. From the start we have had kids in person and over Zoom and that has continued. I only have middle school this year and they are in cohorts (one group together all day) and for the last two weeks we had one group at home in quarantine, any many other kids and staff were out as well. We even broke some of those cohorts in half and had kids doing distance learning in our gyms. Our middle/high school building was down to 1 janitor so the rest of us were left to do cleaning duties and the kitchen staff was down too so many teachers and other staff (and even the husband of one of our administrators) had to step in there too. A school board member even came in as a substitute teacher. Our school board has voted to go totally virtually for pre-school through grade 12 until Christmas break and will assess and maybe continue until mid-January. So there is a bit of a pivot there for us and planning lessons. Luckily the students already had this week off and teacher had inservice which will now be planning time. Uff da! It's been a little crazy, I'm just so tired at the end of the day and haven't posted here much as I don't want to be on the computer as much anymore by the time the day is done.

I think virtual will go okay, the kids all have practice using Zoom and Google Classroom it will be a matter of them showing up! If students don't have internet access they can still come to school and work in our gyms and cafeteria. My concern is still about my Spanish speaking student, I finally have a plan for him (which I have developed basically on my own) now he is going to lumped into the Zooms for all his classes. I did talk to our guidance counselor and I think there might be a plan for bringing him into school maybe with the Special Ed kids that are coming in. But we'll see, 2020 is a go with the flow type of year. We can't even have a staff Christmas party this year, so I am arranging a staff White Elephant alcohol exchange for staff for fun this year instead, I think we all need a little holiday beer, oops I mean cheer! ;) :hilarious:

As for hubs and church, all activities are shut down. There are still services most are online or parking lot (over a radio transmitter). The church does have one in-person service on Sunday and he scheduled it at 8am when he knew he wouldn't get many people. There have only been 2 of those and the first week there were a total of 15 people and last week 3 people for that in person service. For Christmas he is planning 5 services on Christmas Eve and one Christmas Day service and it is reservation only. There is an online reservation site he is using and people can call if they don't do internet stuff. Usually there are only 2 services on Christmas Eve and only on Christmas Day if it is on a Sunday. It will be a different Christmas Eve for sure, I have a reservation for one of the in person Eve services and I'm torn about it. I can't imagine not going to church on Christmas Eve, it is actually my favorite part of Christmas but I'm a little nervous even though I'm in the thick of all these people at school.

Probably more info than you asked for but thanks for asking. 🙂
I don't know where to begin. I feel for you, all the teachers and students with everything having to be done on the fly and good luck with your ESL student. If regular zoom doesn't meet his needs the law is on your side. I'm also sending prayers and pixie dust to B this has to be hard on him at this time of year but I'm glad he's able to still do the drive in but I'm a big fan of drive in anything. For you I'm wishing lots of holiday beer er um cheer nope you deserve the beer!!!!!

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I've never heard of having pasta for Thanksgiving either, just not what our menu was traditionally for us. I'm not against it though, if there was some mac and cheese or baked ziti at Thanksgiving I would put a scoop on my plate. As a family we always (and still do) have a wild rice side dish for Thanksgiving but Brad thought it was weird at first but in our area wild rice is a fairly common thing because wild rice was commonly grown in our the area.
@Tony the Tigger we need to do another intervention:eek:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't know where to begin. I feel for you and all the teachers and students with everything having to be done on the fly and good luck with your ESL student. If regular zoom doesn't meet his needs the law is on your side. I'm also sending prayers and pixie dust to B this has to be hard on him at this time of year but I'm glad he's able to still do the drive in but I'm a big fan of drive in anything. For you I'm wishing lots of holiday beer er um cheer nope you deserve the beer!!!!!

thanks for the well wishes. I did buy myself some holiday cheer last night.
430785BE-8525-4EC0-8BC9-64B234AE6605.jpeg

@Tony the Tigger we need to do another intervention:eek:

I’m not anti-pasta so it would be a very easy intervention!!😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom