The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Temporary lay off notice for me came the next day. Not a main source of income for us, but nice to have a little "extra". I am actually more upset that no one at the actual school has even sent an email, or reached out to me in anyway. And all of my supervisors keep texting and calling me. I don't have any more info, and all the calls and texts cost me money, that I never thought about before. It ws part of the job, so to speak. Now, it isn't. At first, I felt like I needed to say something to everyone. And then I realized, no one felt the need to say anything to me. So, I guess we will see who is coming back to cover lunch when achool decides to open, again. Not sure I want to hang around and run lunch for them, at this point.

That's really poor policy that no one reached out to you. Sorry to hear this. You deserve better. What is wrong with people?

Goofyernmost

I was supposed to be taking a small road trip with a friend to the coast near the end of August. Wanna know were we where planning? A place called Ocean Isle, NC. I had never heard of it until the plans came up and now it is famous for being the place that our (unpronounceable name) hurricane made landfall. Cleaned out a lot of stuff. Also has had fires burning down groups of buildings over the last few days. At this point we haven't heard if the condo we were going to be in was damaged or not. It was (hopefully IS) right on the beach, but the Island was closed to everyone since then so no inventory can be taken. I haven't been anywhere in over a year and a half so what are the odds that the one place we decided on, in the whole country, is the very place a hurricane would decide to pull over to the side of the ocean and become a land storm. Hopefully we will hear something today.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So, it has been an eventful few days. Our school districts have decided to start remote, until case counts come down. With no in person school, no lunch. Temporary lay off notice for me came the next day. Not a main source of income for us, but nice to have a little "extra". I am actually more upset that no one at the actual school has even sent an email, or reached out to me in anyway. And all of my supervisors keep texting and calling me. I don't have any more info, and all the calls and texts cost me money, that I never thought about before. It ws part of the job, so to speak. Now, it isn't. At first, I felt like I needed to say something to everyone. And then I realized, no one felt the need to say anything to me. So, I guess we will see who is coming back to cover lunch when achool decides to open, again. Not sure I want to hang around and run lunch for them, at this point.

On the bright side, DD was pretty happy when I told her that even though school is at home, I will still get up with her in the morning, and make sure she has breakfast. Her smile made me smile. Really hoping some part of her senior year can be salvaged. And, I just want to add, I do agree with the decisions that are being made, just frustrating. You still have that sense of loss. And wondering about when this will finally turn in a more positive direction.

Thanks, I feel a bit better now. @ajrwdwgirl How about a lot of pictures, so I can feel like I am there, too? And @Mr Ferret 88 , keep your pictures coming, too. DS has been looking at them. He has been dreaming of all the places he is going to go when this is done. 22 with a "travel bug" and can't go anywhere. Makes for a lot of time to write that list.

Sorry to hear about your lay-off. That stinks.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I was supposed to be taking a small road trip with a friend to the coast near the end of August. Wanna know were we where planning? A place called Ocean Isle, NC. I had never heard of it until the plans came up and now it is famous for being the place that our (unpronounceable name) hurricane made landfall. Cleaned out a lot of stuff. Also has had fires burning down groups of buildings over the last few days. At this point we haven't heard if the condo we were going to be in was damaged or not. It was (hopefully IS) right on the beach, but the Island was closed to everyone since then so no inventory can be taken. I haven't been anywhere in over a year and a half so what are the odds that the one place we decided on, in the whole country, is the very place a hurricane would decide to pull over to the side of the ocean and become a land storm. Hopefully we will hear something today.

Hope you will still be able to go.

21stamps

So, it has been an eventful few days. Our school districts have decided to start remote, until case counts come down. With no in person school, no lunch. Temporary lay off notice for me came the next day. Not a main source of income for us, but nice to have a little "extra". I am actually more upset that no one at the actual school has even sent an email, or reached out to me in anyway. And all of my supervisors keep texting and calling me. I don't have any more info, and all the calls and texts cost me money, that I never thought about before. It ws part of the job, so to speak. Now, it isn't. At first, I felt like I needed to say something to everyone. And then I realized, no one felt the need to say anything to me. So, I guess we will see who is coming back to cover lunch when achool decides to open, again. Not sure I want to hang around and run lunch for them, at this point.

On the bright side, DD was pretty happy when I told her that even though school is at home, I will still get up with her in the morning, and make sure she has breakfast. Her smile made me smile. Really hoping some part of her senior year can be salvaged. And, I just want to add, I do agree with the decisions that are being made, just frustrating. You still have that sense of loss. And wondering about when this will finally turn in a more positive direction.

Thanks, I feel a bit better now. @ajrwdwgirl How about a lot of pictures, so I can feel like I am there, too? And @Mr Ferret 88 , keep your pictures coming, too. DS has been looking at them. He has been dreaming of all the places he is going to go when this is done. 22 with a "travel bug" and can't go anywhere. Makes for a lot of time to write that list.

Sorry to hear about your lay-off. Glad that you’ll be able to be home with her and create a different set of memories for senior year.

How is your daughter feeling about school? I’m assuming it affects dance as well.

21stamps

Hope he makes it.

I’m 99.99% certain that he did. I stayed to watch. The pitching station was 5 pitches each kid, T threw 4 strikes out of 5 balls, the 5th ball was a little high.
Fielding - grounders (positioned at short stop) 5 balls, stopped every one, also 4 perfect throws to first base, one was a little high, but still catchable.
Fly balls infield- caught all 5, 5 good throws to 1st.
Fly balls outfield, 5, - caught 3, then dropped one but recovered immediately, perfect throw to 2nd base, also missed one that was behind him, tipped his glove, recovered quickly.
Batting they got 3 hits, had to run on the 3rd- hit one wayyy out in the outfield, uncatchable. Hit a line drive that almost took out the pitcher’s (adult) feet, and the 3rd cracked another one way in the outfield, was able to make it to 3rd base. All 3 hits would have been on base and no outs.
One of the other parents said ‘wow, I didn’t expect that skinny kid to hit like that’ 🤣

I can not imagine that his performance would not earn an offer. He was on fire, minus the drop and tip in outfield (which he never plays), but he was so quick to recover that I don’t think it will make a difference. I would say he was in the top 3 at tryouts, there was another kid who threw 5 perfect strikes (faster than T’s pitches), and also hit 3 guaranteed on base hits.

My perfect scenario- An offer will be enough, he’ll know that he could do it, but decide to decline and stick with school.

School tryouts (for stacked team) are next week, but there’s no way that he won’t make that one... I hope he decides to stay with school, and the stacked league will be enough to feel competitive and decent training without the inevitable massive soccer conflicts.

The more I think about it, the more I think that someday, maybe soon, he might choose baseball over soccer. I hate that he will eventually have to choose. We’ll see..,I’ll try to juggle for as long as possible.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Do you remember @Courtney6682 ? She used to do trip reports here, she’s on my FB.. was at WDW a few days ago.. your photos remind me of hers!

The parks were near empty and she was posting the most amazing wait times and pics!!

Have so much fun!!!

No I don’t remember her. It is pretty empty which is good and bad. Thanks though I think it will be fun.

MouseDreaming

That's really poor policy that no one reached out to you. Sorry to hear this. You deserve better. What is wrong with people?
Jokes on them, if I decide not to come back. No one else knows how to do it. And in the best of times, I have been working with a shortage of supervisors, because the district can't find enough people. I am usually 2-4 rooms short. Imagine trying to find at least 18 last minute. And background checks can take anywhere from a week to more than a month. Maybe I don't want to go back and be in charge of that cluster. Hmmm.

MouseDreaming

Sorry to hear about your lay-off. Glad that you’ll be able to be home with her and create a different set of memories for senior year.

How is your daughter feeling about school? I’m assuming it affects dance as well.
She is apprehensive. But, we are both going to be positive at this point, and muddle through it.

Dance is open. She seems pretty up in the air about it though. As a performing troupe, most of their performances were at senior living facilities. The one competition they do would be around April, so who knows. She also isn't feeling great about being in an enclosed space, with face mask optional. Truthfully, I have a hard time with that one, too. On the other hand, she told me she has been looking forward to her senior solo since she was little.

I think the hardest part for her is the loss of things that have been taken for granted as part of the high school experience. She is sad that there will be no Homecoming, game or dance. No poms. Competitive dance is on the high risk list, so we'll see about that. And, she worries that there will be no prom again this year. Again, totally understand it all, but you still mourn over the loss of these milestones.

MySmallWorldof4

There is a place right by the house and my store. Haven't had a chance to investigate with the hurricane, and wanted to see how things went first. But I'm going to have to make an inquiry asap.

She does and she is! (Except when she just puts her head in the shade. 🤪 )

I have no idea what we're doing.

I don't think I can justify park tickets right now. We enjoy a nice resort stay, and it's big time jonesing time, since my bday is coming up at the end of the month, and our anniversary a week later. We also have friends who will be there on our anniversary. We go almost every year at this time.

The variables: Kylie's leg. I'm not dragging her around if she's in bad shape, and would rather not leave her at Best Friend Pet Care like that. We could possibly leave her home with the sitter for an overnight.

Brian just passed his "TEAS" test to get into nursing school. He has secured funding (partly by cashing out from his 401K.) He's just waiting on his background check to come back in about a week, and then school starts on my bday :)bored:) but it's all remote for now.

We have at least $1500 in Disney points, so a quick two or three night trip wouldn't cost much out of pocket at all. (Is V&A open? LOL.) I would love one glorious meal out of it if possible.

If we stay in the cabins (which we had booked last year but changed at the last minute) then Kylie could stay with us without walking all through the Yacht Club or Riverside, we'd be away from possibly asymptomatic carriers in our own private place, and we'd explore new things. Don't know if she'd be comfortable enough for us to leave her and go to dinner - but that's much more likely to work out in a cabin than in a room.

Since first looking into this a week ago, room rates have already inched up a bit. That annoys me. But the FL rate seems to be as high as what the AP rate usually is (we let those expire.)

We also have a decent sized in store event on 8/29. So some things point to better sooner rather than later, some things point to later rather than sooner. It may end up nothing! We'll see.
Congratulations to Brian! That is awesome. You are never too old for a career change and nurses are always needed.

21stamps

She is apprehensive. But, we are both going to be positive at this point, and muddle through it.

Dance is open. She seems pretty up in the air about it though. As a performing troupe, most of their performances were at senior living facilities. The one competition they do would be around April, so who knows. She also isn't feeling great about being in an enclosed space, with face mask optional. Truthfully, I have a hard time with that one, too. On the other hand, she told me she has been looking forward to her senior solo since she was little.

I think the hardest part for her is the loss of things that have been taken for granted as part of the high school experience. She is sad that there will be no Homecoming, game or dance. No poms. Competitive dance is on the high risk list, so we'll see about that. And, she worries that there will be no prom again this year. Again, totally understand it all, but you still mourn over the loss of these milestones.

Hopefully we get a legit vaccine soon, and she’ll be able to end the year with the normal activities, even if modified.
I feel for her and all high school kids. ❤️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom