The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Still hiring subs here. Teachers will be reporting to the school, and teach from there. DS has a friend who is a recent college grad, taking a long term sub position for someone on maternity leave.

Edit @MySmallWorldof4 it says the post of yours that I am replying to is here, but it isn't. Weird.
Yeah, I don't know what happened to it. I have to contact my friend today and see if she got contacted by the schools. She was so devastated because she had a teaching degree. She graduated in 1991 from college. She taught a little bit but then got a job with Verizon and worked her way up. She was traveling so much and they have 2 kids. One is a senior this year and the other is 9. She wanted to spend more time with them. Her husband works for Verizon and does well so they thought she could just do early retirement and do subbing. It worked fine until March when school closed. Now she is regretting her decision and kicking herself because money is tighter than she expected. I told her she did what was best for her family. She literally was away every couple of weeks for days at a time because she did training. She is thinking of finding a full time job not in teaching but I told her to push and see what she can do within the school system.

Don't remember if I said it was a shame for how your coworkers seemed to ignore you. That just really is sad. People stink.

SteveBrickNJ

Yeah, I don't know what happened to it. I have to contact my friend today and see if she got contacted by the schools. She was so devastated because she had a teaching degree. She graduated in 1991 from college. She taught a little bit but then got a job with Verizon and worked her way up. She was traveling so much and they have 2 kids. One is a senior this year and the other is 9. She wanted to spend more time with them. Her husband works for Verizon and does well so they thought she could just do early retirement and do subbing. It worked fine until March when school closed. Now she is regretting her decision and kicking herself because money is tighter than she expected. I told her she did what was best for her family. She literally was away every couple of weeks for days at a time because she did training. She is thinking of finding a full time job not in teaching but I told her to push and see what she can do within the school system.

Don't remember if I said it was a shame for how your coworkers seemed to ignore you. That just really is sad. People stink.
I am wondering how the school districts in NJ will fair regarding having enough substitute teachers this autumn.
I'm really not allowed to discuss much on educational topics (so kindly don't ask ;))and I have no first hand knowledge of anything related to that anyway..so I'll just leave it at that. Just hoping for the best. :)Gonna switch subjects just below....

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

I am thinking ahead to my retirement years...whenever that will be....and wondering if a good job for me someday would be a front desk staff member at my local Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood NJ. Did any of you ever work in that kind of job?......or do you know someone who ever worked at that job? You guys kind of "know me". Could you imagine me doing that? All candid feedback is welcome! :)20200807_124515.jpg

MySmallWorldof4

I am thinking ahead to my retirement years...whenever that will be....and wondering if a good job for me someday would be a front desk staff member at my local Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood NJ. Did any of you ever work in that kind of job?......or do you know someone who ever worked at that job? You guys kind of "know me". Could you imagine me doing that? All candid feedback is welcome! :)View attachment 489479
You seem real personable so I could see you doing that, plus you would get some nice hotel discounts.

SteveBrickNJ

You seem real personable so I could see you doing that, plus you would get some nice hotel discounts.
Thanks @MySmallWorldof4 😊. As you may know, I have traveled so much and stayed at countless number if hotels. I take mental notes on my interactions with the front desk people. I try to put myself in their shoes. The drawback would be that as a newbie I am sure I would at times have to work the midnight thru morning shift. Anyone else have any thoughts or feedback?

StarWarsGirl

There is a chair being swallowed by a cat! :hilarious:
And the thing is that's my desk chair!

She finally got out of it and moved to the bed. Mostly because I used my lunch break to work out and she's fascinated by my mini elliptical.

Then I was on the floor stretching and I see a face...
20200807_133043.jpg

Now they're both asleep. Why Belle has picked the floor is beyond me.
20200807_133723.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Congratulations to Brian! That is awesome. You are never too old for a career change and nurses are always needed.
At first, I asked if he was suicidal. He said he won't be near a hospital for two years. OK!
I am thinking ahead to my retirement years...whenever that will be....and wondering if a good job for me someday would be a front desk staff member at my local Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood NJ. Did any of you ever work in that kind of job?......or do you know someone who ever worked at that job? You guys kind of "know me". Could you imagine me doing that? All candid feedback is welcome! :)View attachment 489479
I don't see why not. Have reasonable expectations for salary.
Is quarantining for 14 days part of receiving a positive COVID test? Even if it is, this is the dumbest thing I can think of not requiring for people returning to work after testing positive.

I believe it is, but I haven't checked.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Jack is staring at the kitchen, and won't go in. He put one paw ahead, and then pulled it back quickly. He's in shock.

You see, we had a drop in humidity today. So, I figured since it was cooler, I'd finally wash the kitchen floor.

Somehow, a clean floor is an unfamiliar (understandable), and terrifying phenomenon to him. Obviously, he prefers a dry, dirty floor! :hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
So, it has been an eventful few days. Our school districts have decided to start remote, until case counts come down. With no in person school, no lunch. Temporary lay off notice for me came the next day. Not a main source of income for us, but nice to have a little "extra". I am actually more upset that no one at the actual school has even sent an email, or reached out to me in anyway. And all of my supervisors keep texting and calling me. I don't have any more info, and all the calls and texts cost me money, that I never thought about before. It ws part of the job, so to speak. Now, it isn't. At first, I felt like I needed to say something to everyone. And then I realized, no one felt the need to say anything to me. So, I guess we will see who is coming back to cover lunch when achool decides to open, again. Not sure I want to hang around and run lunch for them, at this point.

On the bright side, DD was pretty happy when I told her that even though school is at home, I will still get up with her in the morning, and make sure she has breakfast. Her smile made me smile. Really hoping some part of her senior year can be salvaged. And, I just want to add, I do agree with the decisions that are being made, just frustrating. You still have that sense of loss. And wondering about when this will finally turn in a more positive direction.

Thanks, I feel a bit better now. @ajrwdwgirl How about a lot of pictures, so I can feel like I am there, too? And @Mr Ferret 88 , keep your pictures coming, too. DS has been looking at them. He has been dreaming of all the places he is going to go when this is done. 22 with a "travel bug" and can't go anywhere. Makes for a lot of time to write that list.
{{HUGS}} from a nice safe socially distanced distance

Figgy1

Premium Member
I am definitely pro-face mask wearing. I bought a few from etsy. One of them is from Legend of Zelda.

I mean, my main thing is people on etsy have made better designs for much cheaper.

It's like Disney used leftover fabric from the underwear lines, lol.
My guys have been into their Star Wars ones. One of these days I'm going to make something besides masks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom