The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It's been reported on the news here(SC) over 40,000 kids have not turned in one assignment since the schools closed-- sad parenting

I have 4 middle school students who have not done any of their classwork for any class. One of those students hasn't even joined Google Classroom, I even sent home a paper packet of the work but still nothing. We have all called and emailed these students, our guidance counselor and principal have called too. Many other students have been doing lackluster and only doing a few things. It is really frustrating. I know that a few of our kids have had enormous responsibilities put on them at home and have terrible home lives in the best of times (sometimes school is their escape). I am willing to give those students a break but I've also had a few students that after one week said they were too overwhelmed. Maybe they were and maybe they are just using it as an excuse to be lazy. If it is laziness on the students part or even the parents end then that is really disappointing. I would think now would be a time to step it up and show responsibility. I'm not a parent but with our students and it looks like yours there might be some parenting issues.

On the flip side I have been really impressed with some of my students. I have two kids in particular that haven't been the best students but have been really rockin' this virtual learning. They have been turning in stuff way before the due date, making corrections on work (without me asking them to), and asking questions (they never do that in class). They do have parents that are supportive but they are essential workers so they haven't been with their kids 24-7. So it is nice to see these kids stepping up and being responsible for their education. There are other students who have been doing a fantastic job too, but these two really stand out.

John park hopper

On the flip side I have been really impressed with some of my students. I have two kids in particular that haven't been the best students but have been really rockin' this virtual learning. They have been turning in stuff way before the due date, making corrections on work (without me asking them to), and asking questions (they never do that in class). They do have parents that are supportive but they are essential workers so they haven't been with their kids 24-7. So it is nice to see these kids stepping up and being responsible for their education. There are other students who have been doing a fantastic job too, but these two really stand out.
Hate to say this but these will be the ones who succeed in life

Rista1313

That is so sad. Hope they reopen schools in the fall. Obviously not all parents can handle homeschooling.

My husband and I were talking about this..... not everyone is cut out for homeschooling, and you have to remember that some of the parents that are at home during this time, they are still working from home.... now imagine trying to juggle working, dealing with your kids while you work, let alone trying to teach them while you work. This is why teachers should get paid more.

Songbird76

It's been reported on the news here(SC) over 40,000 kids have not turned in one assignment since the schools closed-- sad parenting
Our schools are opening up here on June 2nd, and E's school sent us a letter this week about how they are going to decide who gets to move on to the next year since they won't have time for a bunch of tests. Normally there is a test week in late June or early July as a last chance to get grades up, etc. They haven't been able to give tests since the lockdown (or at least not that count for a grade) because they can't give instruction like usual and some kids are struggling. So this year, they are taking the grades as they were before the lockdown, then the effort that the kids have made during the lockdown (turning in homework, attending the video calls, etc) and then their work from June 2nd to the end of the year to decide whether kids move on or not. I'm thinking E's class might be a LOT smaller next year. She said already in January that 1/3 of the class was in danger of failing, mostly due to Math, Physics, German, and French, I think. But she said her math teacher gave a test a couple of weeks ago, which can't count towards their grade, but apparently most of the class did very poorly. So the teacher asked what the problem was, and my daughter said she didn't know why she would have done poorly and the teacher assured her that she actually did really well. But I guess there are some kids who haven't done any of the homework for 2 chapters. I asked her how much that was....how fast do you go through a chapter? She said they do 1 section per week, and each chapter has around 6 sections. So that means that several of the kids haven't done any homework since the lockdown started....at least in Math, which is one of the core subjects and is weighted more heavily than the others. So if 1/3 was already in danger before the lockdown, and they haven't put in any effort since the lockdown started, I'm afraid those kids are going to be out! Even if they work really hard starting from June 2nd, their previous records are against them. The school isn't going to allow any tests for a grade until next school year, so they can only use homework to get their grades up in that month and a half. E's grades are all great and she's in no danger, but I feel bad for her because some of her friends have really struggled. One of them almost didn't pass last year...I'm betting she won't pass this year and that will really upset E to lose that friend in her class. She's tried to tutor her friends and it has helped, but I don't know that it will be enough.

But it's not quite all down to bad parenting....some of these kids have parents who have to work and aren't there to help them with their school work. And even if they are, some parents don't understand the work themselves let alone enough to help their kids. I certainly can't help my son with German or French. And the poor teachers are doing their best, but A's teacher has young children, and his wife had something happen that she landed in the hospital (I want to say something with pregnancy. It was not Covid related) and so he was trying to take care of his kids by himself and teach on the computer at the same time. It's just not ideal. Everyone is doing their best, but while some kids (like my daughter) thrive in this kind of situation, another kid just can't keep up and doesn't have a parent with the skills to help.

Songbird76

I have 4 middle school students who have not done any of their classwork for any class. One of those students hasn't even joined Google Classroom, I even sent home a paper packet of the work but still nothing. We have all called and emailed these students, our guidance counselor and principal have called too. Many other students have been doing lackluster and only doing a few things. It is really frustrating. I know that a few of our kids have had enormous responsibilities put on them at home and have terrible home lives in the best of times (sometimes school is their escape). I am willing to give those students a break but I've also had a few students that after one week said they were too overwhelmed. Maybe they were and maybe they are just using it as an excuse to be lazy. If it is laziness on the students part or even the parents end then that is really disappointing. I would think now would be a time to step it up and show responsibility. I'm not a parent but with our students and it looks like yours there might be some parenting issues.

Were you able to get ahold of the families of those who haven't turned in any work or joined Google Classroom? I ask because they said here there are still 500 students who have disappeared....they have no idea where these kids are. It was at 5000 a month ago, so they've found 90% of the missing kids now, but there are still some who are lost.

Songbird76

My husband and I were talking about this..... not everyone is cut out for homeschooling, and you have to remember that some of the parents that are at home during this time, they are still working from home.... now imagine trying to juggle working, dealing with your kids while you work, let alone trying to teach them while you work. This is why teachers should get paid more.
AMEN to that. If nothing else good comes from this situation, I hope people start to acknowledge how amazing teachers are and that they get paid more!! One of my high school classmates was posting common core math that she was trying to help her son with. She was so frustrated! And while I can hold my own when it comes to things like English grammar, music (obviously), and look stuff up for history or geography, I can't really help with things like German, French, Physics....and I haven't done advanced math for decades...I can't really help with that. I'm lucky that both of my kids are math whizzes and have far surpassed anything I can do, so they don't NEED help with that. My son actually helps his teacher with English because he speaks more fluently than the teacher. And I can't even imagine being a teacher right now....you can't do anything about it if a kid just doesn't show up to the video call for instruction. It's not like being in the classroom where you can look them in the eyes and tell them to knock off whatever they are doing, or keep them after class, etc. It's got to be difficult right now!

wdwfan4ver

I have a stuffed Dumbo collection. He'd be in such trouble. 😂
My mom has a baby Yoda now and my dad has him part of the small dumbo group my mom has on the couch with him being the leader. My mom has stuffed Dumbos multiple places.

My dad did give some of my moms stuffed Dumbos individual characteristics including one being a doctor.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

All right Bowie fan! Love that song!

Absolutely loved his music...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
I love sooooooo much music from the 70’s...the last 2 years we lived in No Cal (we moved back to Texas in ‘76) I road a bus to and from junior high (7th-8th grade there), and all the busses were big diesel ones and had radios on ‘em. The bus drivers always had it tuned to KLIV in San Jose which, at the time, played all the top 40 stuff (I googled it, and now it’s an all news radio format) of the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom