The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Were you able to get ahold of the families of those who haven't turned in any work or joined Google Classroom? I ask because they said here there are still 500 students who have disappeared....they have no idea where these kids are. It was at 5000 a month ago, so they've found 90% of the missing kids now, but there are still some who are lost.

I have gotten a hold of 3 of the 4 kids. The one who hasn't yet joined Google Classroom for any of his teachers I haven't personally reached, called and emailed but they didn't return. Our principal got a hold of the mom 2 weeks ago and said they had internet problems but it was getting fixed that day, but still nothing. That is sad about the kids that are missing, I hope they are just avoiding calls and emails and not physically lost or harmed.

StarWarsGirl

Dad finally figured out last week that my friend came with us on our hike. His response: "Your mother will be very upset if you get coronavirus." "Yeah, I told Mom. Didn't feel like hearing you nag."

As we were leaving today, he says, "Don't invite your friend!"

It was a tad late as she'd already been invited...šŸ˜‚

StarWarsGirl

AKA for... I will be upset because I love you.... but I'll blame your mom.
Yup.

The thing is that my mom is usually the more worried between the two of them, and initially she was the more panicked one. Now she's less panicked. Basically, she doesn't want me at the grocery store or pharmacy. Every place else, if I say I'm going, she's like, "Cool, see ya later." Dad on the other hand...he started out being chill, but now he's the panicked one. Which contrasts sharply with his ideas that the whole thing is overblown and stuff needs to reopen. I told him he cannot have it both ways.

Yesterday, my mom was eating a bowl of precut pineapple. I'm extremely allergic to pineapple, which is why she only buys it precut. I stood too close to it yesterday while she was eating and had a reaction. Lips started itching, I could taste it, whole nine yards. Had to go take a Benadryl. I told Dad that at this point, I think between coronavirus and pineapple, I'm more likely to be taken out by a bowl of pineapple.

Songbird76

I have gotten a hold of 3 of the 4 kids. The one who hasn't yet joined Google Classroom for any of his teachers I haven't personally reached, called and emailed but they didn't return. Our principal got a hold of the mom 2 weeks ago and said they had internet problems but it was getting fixed that day, but still nothing. That is sad about the kids that are missing, I hope they are just avoiding calls and emails and not physically lost or harmed.
Here, a lot of the missing kids were from foreign families, so they assume the families went back to their home countries either to visit or to live again, or that the parents' dutch is not good enough to understand that they were supposed to do remote learning. That was what they said in the news report a month ago. And then in the one this week, they said the ones who are still missing are largely special education kids, but I'm not sure if they were elementary or high school level. But I know that some of my parent friends with kids at A's school have said they are struggling. One of my friends from work, she said her son's location (A's school has 5 different locations for secondary education) is allowing 4 kids from his class back in the school building to get standard lessons already, because they were struggling too much with the remote learning. So her son was going back to school already. And one of E's friends that lives a street over from us, she has been going to a regular school, but it's not going well and they are switching her to A's school, but they have to do an IQ test to figure out where they want to place her. She started out in what they call a dakpan class, which is a class that's kind of between 2 levels. She was between A's and E's level. But she didn't do well, so they moved her to A's level and she's actually doing worse than she was in the dakpan class. So they need to see if she can handle that level if it's in the special education school. But they had just arranged all the testing and everything, and then Corona happened, and everything was canceled and now she has to wait. So I don't think she's going to school at all right now because she's not going to stay in the regular school, but doesn't know which level she'll be in the special ed school, and she was failing anyway, so she'd have to redo the year anyway. But I don't know if those are the kids who are considered "missing" or not.

E's school said that when they open June 2nd, kids will not be able to use public transportation to get to school, which will be a real problem for Alex's school because there are very few who live in this town. I know some kids who come all the way from Arnhem, 40 minutes away! I don't know how they are going to do that!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Here, a lot of the missing kids were from foreign families, so they assume the families went back to their home countries either to visit or to live again, or that the parents' dutch is not good enough to understand that they were supposed to do remote learning. That was what they said in the news report a month ago. And then in the one this week, they said the ones who are still missing are largely special education kids, but I'm not sure if they were elementary or high school level. But I know that some of my parent friends with kids at A's school have said they are struggling. One of my friends from work, she said her son's location (A's school has 5 different locations for secondary education) is allowing 4 kids from his class back in the school building to get standard lessons already, because they were struggling too much with the remote learning. So her son was going back to school already. And one of E's friends that lives a street over from us, she has been going to a regular school, but it's not going well and they are switching her to A's school, but they have to do an IQ test to figure out where they want to place her. She started out in what they call a dakpan class, which is a class that's kind of between 2 levels. She was between A's and E's level. But she didn't do well, so they moved her to A's level and she's actually doing worse than she was in the dakpan class. So they need to see if she can handle that level if it's in the special education school. But they had just arranged all the testing and everything, and then Corona happened, and everything was canceled and now she has to wait. So I don't think she's going to school at all right now because she's not going to stay in the regular school, but doesn't know which level she'll be in the special ed school, and she was failing anyway, so she'd have to redo the year anyway. But I don't know if those are the kids who are considered "missing" or not.

E's school said that when they open June 2nd, kids will not be able to use public transportation to get to school, which will be a real problem for Alex's school because there are very few who live in this town. I know some kids who come all the way from Arnhem, 40 minutes away! I don't know how they are going to do that!

Are students going to have the option at all to continue with remote learning for the rest of the year, or do they have to go into the building? It seems like some people might still have concerns about gatherings and if transportation is an issue virtual learning might be a valid option.

Songbird76

Are students going to have the option at all to continue with remote learning for the rest of the year, or do they have to go into the building? It seems like some people might still have concerns about gatherings and if transportation is an issue virtual learning might be a valid option.
Well our elementary students already went back on the 11th of May and my understanding is that they are not being penalised for staying home. Some teachers have chosen to stay home and I guess they arrange virtual learning for those not wanting to go back yet. High schools will open on June 2nd (June 1st is a holiday) and schools are only allowed to have as many stuents as can safely keep distance. They will be allowed to decide for themselves how to do this. We haven't heard anything from A's school, but E's school is saying only 11 students per class and each class will have a set classroom and the teachers will move from room to room. They will alternate who goes each day, is my understanding, and when they are not physically at the school, they will follow along at home with virtual learning and must be logged in and present for each hour. They want to make sure each student has the opportunity to get face-to-face instruction like usual, but they can't do that if all the kids are on site at one time. E's class only has 19 students, so they will be split in half, but some of the classes will have to be divided into 3 groups. That's the advantage of E being in a more specialized group, being dual immersion. They only have 2 classes of 20 in her year doing the dual immersion. So I think they go every other day, where the standard classes are closer to 30 students, so they only go once every 3 days. I think A's school will probably just stay as it is...their maximum class size is 9, which they already have the distance in their classrooms. Their biggest issue will be break times...they won't be able to have all the kids have break time together. And I don't think they will have PE.

E's school said something about arranging transportation for anyone who lives at least 8km from the school (we're only 1.5 km away. She's there by bike in under 5 minutes), but I'm not sure if the taxis that bring kids to special ed schools count as "public transportation" or if that's what they'll use. If that's what they use, I don't know how they will have enough of those taxi buses, or enough drivers. We only live 2 km from A's school, so he's there in about 7 minutes, but I think he's the only one in his class who lives in town...possibly the only one in his whole year at his location. His school services the entire region for kids with Autism. Most of the kids are brought by taxi bus, but I'm not sure if that is considered public transporation or not, and if they will be able to use that to get to school. If not, then I'm guessing they will have to keep doing virtual learning, but what I'm understanding is that special ed schools like A's are the ones struggling the most with virtual learning. It's really hard for them to work from home. Distractions, changed routine, etc....they really need the structure of the regular classroom. I'm guessing that's why we haven't heard from them what they are planning...they probably haven't worked it out yet themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom