The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

As one of our resident vegans I quite agree!
Whenever I hear someone refer to plant based "meat", I'm like...
giphy.gif

donaldtoo

I learned to drive a stick shift and had a 1956 Chevy 2dr 327 engine and 4 on the floor prior to entering the service in 68. Loved that car and loved the manual trans just fun to drive, hard to find a stick shift these days

I first learned to drive in a ‘63 International Harvester pickup with 3 on the tree.
I drove 5-speed manuals for about 27 consecutive years, and loved them. Generally, better gas mileage and, at one time anyway, about $800-$1000 less on sticker price, although we haven’t bought a new car in decades. I know that there are still plenty of folks drivin’ manual tranny vehicles, at least around these parts. I taught my DWifey to drive stick (minds outta’ the gutter, please...except mine, obviously :cautious::D:hilarious::cautious:) shortly before we were married. She’s very proficient at it. The only reason the car I’m now drivin’ isn’t stick is ‘cause it was given to us...manual tranny or not, a free car is a free car...!!!!! :D;):hilarious:
My pop owned both a ‘55 Chevy and a ‘57 Chevy with a Power Pack (4 bbl carb, dual exhaust, and I also believe a more high performance cam, solid lifters, and lighter and larger intake and exhaust valves). To this day, pop regrets sellin’ the ‘57.
Your ‘56 sounds SWEET...!!! :)
Although, obviously, not original, as the largest small block V-8 you could get that year was the 265 c.i., and the only manual tranny offered was 3 on the tree. Yours definitely sounds like a higher performer...!!! :)
Do ya’ have any pics ya’ can share...?

Anyhoo, pops ‘57 Chevy looked pretty much like the one below. If you look really close you can see some of the gold trim that designated it as a Power Pack option. The pick below that shows the touches of gold trim more clearly...!!! :)

E8837592-CD69-44E7-A19F-C09916224F65.jpeg
CA1435D8-E978-4723-90F1-4841AE2E036F.png

donaldtoo

OK, minus about 3.55 secs., but, commercial break on AMC during “Ghostbusters II”.....

487C562F-B3D0-4EBE-8547-9E7A5BD91E7F.png

Not as crazy as Freeforms 6:15 that I’ve posted at least twice before, but, geez...!!! :facepalm:
And, as I’ve posted before, I remember commercial breaks in my youth bein’ about 90-120 secs., even if it was one of the 3 major networks of the time showin’ a popular old movie on TV. You had to use the potty and get some more popcorn pretty darn fast...!!!!! :hilarious:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have my 3rd driving lesson tomorrow morning. I really really don't like it. I was so frustrated last week. The instructor has pedals on his side of the car so he can adjust if you don't. But he keeps up a running instruction. "Now, give it a little gas. Foot off the gas, push the clutch in, shift, now release the clutch slowly, and give it gas, now we're going into 3rd. Foot off the gas, push in the clutch. All the way down, now into 3rd and release the clutch slowly..." So even when I was doing it he still kept up the running instruction, so it felt like I was doing it wrong and he thought he needed to tell me everything. Then one time, he told me to press the clutch, but he already had his side pressed all the way down so I couldn't even FIND the clutch. It wasn't where I was putting my foot. Then we came up on a speed limit change and I needed to slow down. Now, I remember my mom telling me about the only time she ever got a ticket, it was a speed trap. You went from a 50 to a 20 right after a curve, so you didn't have time to slow down to 20 by the time you reached the sign unless you knew it was there, which as a tourist, she didn't. So the rule is that you have to be slowed down to the new speed by the time you reach the sign. Apparently that's not the case here. So I saw the sign and started to brake so I'd slow down and he tells me not to brake. I pointed out the sign and he says to try to slow down without hitting the brake, just taking my foot off the gas. He said you've got time to slow down to the new speed. And every time we came up to an intersection where I might have to stop, he told me not to brake. I tell you, it's so different than driving in the US and all the insticts I have, to leave enough time to get slowed down, or to be cautious when approaching an intersection, etc....if you do that here, you'll fail your drivers test. All the "defensive" driving? They don't want you to do that here. You're supposed to just keep moving if you can and not hit the brakes until the last possible second if you absolutely need to.

Sorry...driving lessons are a sensitive subject for me right now. I'll get there, but I'm not enjoying the process.
I don’t have good memories of drivers ed either. But remember you drove state side and all was well. I am a firm believer woman can drive equally as well as men. I remember my Dad trying to squash my Mom learning to drive when I was small. Driving is a great equalizer for women if you enjoy it or not. Is there a female instructor available? You might get better encouragement from a fellow woman wanting woman to diced in driving.

Tony the Tigger

Oops, I did it again, Britney. Just submitted my orders. Haven't been to bed yet. Have to be at the store in a few hours...

But it was worth it. The new UK distributor came through in fine fashion, the order arrived the day after I placed it - which I find remarkable. Of course, the shipping was nearly $200, but that still works out to only about $1 per item - similar to some of my domestic distributors for shipping that can take anywhere from 2 days to 5 days. Fingers crossed that customs is nice to us again, or this new order won't arrive on Friday, and we'll be without the merch all weekend.

Tonight, the new store hosted a meeting of a group I joined consisting of local business owners. It meets once a month. This was only my second meeting. In addition to the business owners, we had the mayor, vice-mayor, a commissioner, a police officer, and several other City employees. I guess it can't hurt to be "in good" with those folks! ;) It went well, introduced my store to a bunch of new people, and made for a nice ring at the end of the day. I had some nice flatbreads brought over from the craft beer place in our plaza, and brought some liquor from home.

I really have to get to sleep. This time, it's Ketel One with St. Germain Elderflower liqueur. You guys will get this: it reminds me of a martini from Le Chefs de France. I don't remember the other ingredients, but that gets me close enough. A couple of pieces of leftover flatbread, and hopefully I'll be down for the count momentarily. ETA: I just googled their drink menu and nothing like that is on there anymore LOL.

Night/morning all.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oops, I did it again, Britney. Just submitted my orders. Haven't been to bed yet. Have to be at the store in a few hours...

But it was worth it. The new UK distributor came through in fine fashion, the order arrived the day after I placed it - which I find remarkable. Of course, the shipping was nearly $200, but that still works out to only about $1 per item - similar to some of my domestic distributors for shipping that can take anywhere from 2 days to 5 days. Fingers crossed that customs is nice to us again, or this new order won't arrive on Friday, and we'll be without the merch all weekend.

Tonight, the new store hosted a meeting of a group I joined consisting of local business owners. It meets once a month. This was only my second meeting. In addition to the business owners, we had the mayor, vice-mayor, a commissioner, a police officer, and several other City employees. I guess it can't hurt to be "in good" with those folks! ;) It went well, introduced my store to a bunch of new people, and made for a nice ring at the end of the day. I had some nice flatbreads brought over from the craft beer place in our plaza, and brought some liquor from home.

I really have to get to sleep. This time, it's Ketel One with St. Germain Elderflower liqueur. You guys will get this: it reminds me of a martini from Le Chefs de France. I don't remember the other ingredients, but that gets me close enough. A couple of pieces of leftover flatbread, and hopefully I'll be down for the count momentarily. ETA: I just googled their drink menu and nothing like that is on there anymore LOL.

Night/morning all.

Go to sleep, for heaven's sake!!! :joyfull:

Very good news about your new UK distributor -- you're doing so well. :happy:

And I love how you're hob nobbing with all the movers and shakers in your area. :D

(P.S.: Now that you're famous and wealthy, please don't forget all us "little people" here.) ;)

Tony the Tigger

Go to sleep, for heaven's sake!!! :joyfull:

Very good news about your new UK distributor -- you're doing so well. :happy:

And I love how you're hob nobbing with all the movers and shakers in your area. :D

(P.S.: Now that you're famous and wealthy, please don't forget all us "little people" here.) ;)

We'll see if/when "wealthy" happens. I'm playing the long game LOL.

Btw, since when do manuals cost more than automatic transmissions? I've always found it was the other way around. Bonus: much less expensive to replace a clutch vs. a transmission! Disclosure: I haven't driven a manual since the early 90's. Lived up a big hill in Budd Lake, NJ. Burnt out that clutch twice in as many years LOL.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We'll see if/when "wealthy" happens. I'm playing the long game LOL.

Btw, since when do manuals cost more than automatic transmissions? I've always found it was the other way around. Bonus: much less expensive to replace a clutch vs. a transmission! Disclosure: I haven't driven a manual since the early 90's. Lived up a big hill in Budd Lake, NJ. Burnt out that clutch twice in as many years LOL.

I've seen it up here in cars for sale -- the manuals are more expensive, because (from what I'm told), they are not making as many of them anymore. Hence, the rise in price.

Now, go and get some shut-eye! :D

FutureCEO

I've seen it up here in cars for sale -- the manuals are more expensive, because (from what I'm told), they are not making as many of them anymore. Hence, the rise in price.

Now, go and get some shut-eye! :D

I always thought manuals were cheaper,a t least if you build a car online. Only 1K cheaper but still you never see manuals on the lot.

But on the gas mileage note, my car is still getting great mpg. I'm averaging 43.5 with 15,000 miles. And I don't have a hybrid or anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom