The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

I carry wipes EVERYWHERE! I notice A holds utensils differently, too, just like a little kid does. He HAS had physical therapy for fine motor skills...his handwriting is illegible. So I suppose that could be part of it, but anything with chocolate...a muffin, a donut, a cookie, it's going to be all over. And any dish with rice, if we can get him to eat it, it will end up all over the table too. But he won't eat cotton candy or funnel cakes. He will eat plain chocolate ice cream, or vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, but no whipped cream or garnish on it. And ice cream is probably the messiest.
A gets water all over the bathroom, too. But I think that's mostly because he turns the water off and steps right out and comes in to use the hair dryer. I dry off before I step out of the shower. He's not proficient with the towel. He'll grab it on his way out of the shower, but he doesn't really use it to dry off, so he drips water in his wake. I think the towel might feel rough to him, so he doesn't like it against his skin?
Trouble with fine motor skills is also a fairly common issue with autism. B has Occupational therapy in school for years and years. His pencil grip isn't correct either. Of course, neither is mine, so we have to wonder if it's also genetic. We encouraged him to play video games to help with that as well. There's a Wall-E video game we have that he watched me play enough that he knew how to do it. Playing with blocks also helped. He's fine with eating crumbly foods for the most part now. It's stick stuff that gets everywhere or stuff with sauces. It's gotten better as he's gotten older, though.

It could be the towels. B has specific towels that are the only ones he'll use at home. He also gets the hair dryer out and uses that to dry himself out. Still...he never used to do that on vacation. Driving me crazy. I told him if he's going to make a mess, he needs to clean it up. He was not happy with me. 🙄

Figgy1

Premium Member
The picky eating is one thing that gets better as they get older. He used to eat nothing but chicken strips and PB&J and wouldn't eat any snacks in the parks. My mom used to have to pack Goldfish and lug them around the park.

Now he'll eat pizza, fried chicken, and asian-style food. He'll also eat the quick service at Pandora because it's close enough to Asian style. He'll do the chicken at Flame Tree Barbeque too; we used to have to get him just french fries. For breakfast he'll eat Mickey waffles, bacon, or pancakes if we're doing a sit down breakfast. For a quick breakfast, he'll do cinnamon buns or donuts from Joffery's (the vanilla with sprinkles, not the chocolate ones. He's like me in that respect; we do not like chocolate icing). He'll snack on a churro or a cookie during the day. French fries are also a good standby.

He will not eat fruit except for apple sauce. He does not like pasta in any way, shape or form. He won't try Mexican. Which sucks, because pasta and Mexican are my two favorites, and I'm not big on the Asian. With the exception of PB&J, he does not eat sandwiches, which is why we were amazed that he wanted to try a burger. It's taken him 18 years to get to that point. He also doesn't want anything fancy. For instance, we could get him to eat steak at Le Cellier, but he just wanted it plain with fries. Try to make it too fancy, and he doesn't want it.

My mom went to a seminar where an adult with autism explained food aversion. He said it's very visual, at least for him. For instance, that person said he will eat pizza, but not lasagna. He knows that basically, lasagna is cheese and tomato sauce, like pizza, but because of the way it looks, he can't bring himself to eat it. Textures and temperature can also be an issue. B won't eat anything cold aside from maybe a few bites of ice cream here and there.
Just from what your saying, still makes him sound controlling, just because he might be less controlling with your ex doesn't mean it's normal. How he's acting is not normal.

Sorry..it's really not my business...it's just every time you describe this stuff it makes me want to hit him with that frying pan!
I may have forgotten to mention my older ds will not eat melon, any melon which I seem to forget about because James is allergic and we don't often have them in the house, he also won't eat raw peaches which I forget about because James eats them before anybody can get to them or they get bought in sufficient quantity to can. Runs and hides under large heavy rock

Figgy1

Premium Member
Trouble with fine motor skills is also a fairly common issue with autism. B has Occupational therapy in school for years and years. His pencil grip isn't correct either. Of course, neither is mine, so we have to wonder if it's also genetic. We encouraged him to play video games to help with that as well. There's a Wall-E video game we have that he watched me play enough that he knew how to do it. Playing with blocks also helped. He's fine with eating crumbly foods for the most part now. It's stick stuff that gets everywhere or stuff with sauces. It's gotten better as he's gotten older, though.

It could be the towels. B has specific towels that are the only ones he'll use at home. He also gets the hair dryer out and uses that to dry himself out. Still...he never used to do that on vacation. Driving me crazy. I told him if he's going to make a mess, he needs to clean it up. He was not happy with me. 🙄
My older ds cannot ride a bike, not even with training wheels:(

MySmallWorldof4

I think it's so sad that people can't even do what's right for the sake of their kids. And you know their kids are watching and this is not a lesson that will serve them well in the future. It's good that there are at least SOME of you who have been able to avoid taking part in the drama and are just trying to find a way to move on. I hope that's what the owner will take away from it, not that it's not worth it. I can understand she is probably hurt and insecure now because she's been burned and it seems like the problem parents are the loudest at the moment, as it usually is. But if enough of you show her support, maybe she can rally enough to finish out the year with those of you who have shown you can be trusted. How many do you need for a team? And do you need alternates in case someone is sick/injured? Or does everyone compete in every competition? I'm so sorry you all are experiencing this...I'm still appalled at the behavior of the problem parents.
You need 5.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oh, I don't. That's why I told him "Or you could just let me do it the way I do it." He still argued, but I bought the buttermilk, and I kept my word that I wasn't cutting the lettuce. I think for the most part it's just that he hates shopping so he's grumpy when he goes to the store. He just complains about everything and he tries to get out of there faster by reducing what we buy. So if I have a list of 10 things, he'll ask me "How many of those things do you HAVE to get today?" and he'll try to get me to put off anything that will keep him in the store a few seconds longer. He'll have holes in his shoes and put off shopping for new ones for weeks just to avoid going into a shoe store. In general, I try to do any and all shopping by myself and only involve him when I don't have a choice. Obviously, I can't try on his new shoes for him, so he HAS to be there for that. But if I have a few other things to do, and I suggest going on the weekend to get those items and he can get new shoes, he'll say ok, but when we get to the centrum, he'll say the shoes can wait, and then he'll ask me if I REALLY need everything on my list that day or can I come back by bike sometime during the week. So I usually try to spare both of us the agony and just do the shopping myself, whether it's groceries, or clothes for the kids, or kitchen tools, etc. He doesn't do it to be controlling, and with almost everything else, we work well together and make a great team. My ex-boyfriend was super controlling, so I won't put up with that anymore, but I WILL make compromises where I can if it's not important to me. But I can also dig in my heels if I disagree.
Did you ever get your drivers license? Leave him home and drive yourself? It would rub me wrong to be asked to ride a bike when he doesn’t ride a bike. If it is weekend just take care and get the stuff the family needs. He doesn’t have to shop and you don’t have to be on a bike in bad weather Win Win

Cesar R M

Oh boy, got a message about my job posting on Indeed... they told me about the positions available and I would be a good match. Then it started to look like the classic scam. Well see what this guy answers.. because everything seems by the letter scam.

Now need to wait to see if they actually tell me to "buy" some X hardware. (it seems to be a Texas phone? why is he calling my CAN phone? to make things funnier, its a VOIP soft phone)

*edit*
lol, its a by the book scam. Found other sites with the exact same texts being sent to random people.
I wonder if they are automated as they answered for my "I want more information" XD

Last edited:

Songbird76

My older ds cannot ride a bike, not even with training wheels:(
Oh we had issues with that. A can ride a bike now, but he's not good at stopping or starting. When he had physical therapy the first time, I asked about the gross motor skills because my FIL had been trying to teach him to ride a bike, but it wasn't working. He just couldn't do it. So the PT worked with him and got him to the point that he could at least stay upright, but told me not to let him ride anywhere but on our street, which is really quiet. When we transferred him to the special school, we had no choice but to have him ride his bike home, but that's why I had to bike with him. Just staying upright kind of takes his full concentration and he has no insight into traffic. He can't look at a driver coming from the other direction and see "Oh, that person doesn't see me. I'd better wait." or "He's signaling for me to go first." He just can't interpret the traffic situation and adjust accordingly. His school campus now is less than 10 minutes by bike, so he goes by himself now, but he's had some tense moments, and he's still not completely coordinated. I don't know what we'd have done if he couldn't ride a bike at all. We'd have been in trouble.

Songbird76

Did you ever get your drivers license? Leave him home and drive yourself? It would rub me wrong to be asked to ride a bike when he doesn’t ride a bike. If it is weekend just take care and get the stuff the family needs. He doesn’t have to shop and you don’t have to be on a bike in bad weather Win Win
I have my 3rd driving lesson tomorrow morning. I really really don't like it. I was so frustrated last week. The instructor has pedals on his side of the car so he can adjust if you don't. But he keeps up a running instruction. "Now, give it a little gas. Foot off the gas, push the clutch in, shift, now release the clutch slowly, and give it gas, now we're going into 3rd. Foot off the gas, push in the clutch. All the way down, now into 3rd and release the clutch slowly..." So even when I was doing it he still kept up the running instruction, so it felt like I was doing it wrong and he thought he needed to tell me everything. Then one time, he told me to press the clutch, but he already had his side pressed all the way down so I couldn't even FIND the clutch. It wasn't where I was putting my foot. Then we came up on a speed limit change and I needed to slow down. Now, I remember my mom telling me about the only time she ever got a ticket, it was a speed trap. You went from a 50 to a 20 right after a curve, so you didn't have time to slow down to 20 by the time you reached the sign unless you knew it was there, which as a tourist, she didn't. So the rule is that you have to be slowed down to the new speed by the time you reach the sign. Apparently that's not the case here. So I saw the sign and started to brake so I'd slow down and he tells me not to brake. I pointed out the sign and he says to try to slow down without hitting the brake, just taking my foot off the gas. He said you've got time to slow down to the new speed. And every time we came up to an intersection where I might have to stop, he told me not to brake. I tell you, it's so different than driving in the US and all the insticts I have, to leave enough time to get slowed down, or to be cautious when approaching an intersection, etc....if you do that here, you'll fail your drivers test. All the "defensive" driving? They don't want you to do that here. You're supposed to just keep moving if you can and not hit the brakes until the last possible second if you absolutely need to.

Sorry...driving lessons are a sensitive subject for me right now. I'll get there, but I'm not enjoying the process.

Rista1313

I have my 3rd driving lesson tomorrow morning. I really really don't like it. I was so frustrated last week. The instructor has pedals on his side of the car so he can adjust if you don't. But he keeps up a running instruction. "Now, give it a little gas. Foot off the gas, push the clutch in, shift, now release the clutch slowly, and give it gas, now we're going into 3rd. Foot off the gas, push in the clutch. All the way down, now into 3rd and release the clutch slowly..." So even when I was doing it he still kept up the running instruction, so it felt like I was doing it wrong and he thought he needed to tell me everything. Then one time, he told me to press the clutch, but he already had his side pressed all the way down so I couldn't even FIND the clutch. It wasn't where I was putting my foot. Then we came up on a speed limit change and I needed to slow down. Now, I remember my mom telling me about the only time she ever got a ticket, it was a speed trap. You went from a 50 to a 20 right after a curve, so you didn't have time to slow down to 20 by the time you reached the sign unless you knew it was there, which as a tourist, she didn't. So the rule is that you have to be slowed down to the new speed by the time you reach the sign. Apparently that's not the case here. So I saw the sign and started to brake so I'd slow down and he tells me not to brake. I pointed out the sign and he says to try to slow down without hitting the brake, just taking my foot off the gas. He said you've got time to slow down to the new speed. And every time we came up to an intersection where I might have to stop, he told me not to brake. I tell you, it's so different than driving in the US and all the insticts I have, to leave enough time to get slowed down, or to be cautious when approaching an intersection, etc....if you do that here, you'll fail your drivers test. All the "defensive" driving? They don't want you to do that here. You're supposed to just keep moving if you can and not hit the brakes until the last possible second if you absolutely need to.

Sorry...driving lessons are a sensitive subject for me right now. I'll get there, but I'm not enjoying the process.

It doesn't help that you are having to learn on a manual. I'm guess that's the norm over there, and not all automatics like over here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom