The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
They seem to want a complete change to have everything digital. Before you know it, there will be no more tellers. :(

And not only that, but there could be additional collateral damage. If they will no longer have tellers, that may also mean that they won't have anyone working at the bank, to fill up the free lollipops bowl, or the coffee (k-cups) display, when you go there. :cautious: That's why I like going to the bank -- for my free lollipop, and cup of coffee! ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Interesting, as I was referring to the cars computer/system needing to reset by having to drive it several miles before it “gets it” that all is now OK and the “check engine” light goes off. I haven’t heard of any trouble mechanics have been having with diagnostic equipment.

As you know, I do all of our brakes myself.
I had too many mechanics in years past tell me that my pads were gettin’ thin and should be replaced now/very soon, only to go home and pull the wheels to find out that was a bunch of Bravo Sierra. :rolleyes:
I think I posted a little while back that youngest DD was convinced her front brakes were all worn down because of the vibration, yet there was absolutely no grinding noise. I told her it sounded to me like the rotors were warped. Sure ‘nough, when I pulled the wheels she had at least 3/8” left on all 4 pads.
I plopped some new rotors on, problem solved. I suggested she quit diving into stops, ‘cause all that constant back and forth between frictional super heating and cooling is what warps them.
That was a few months or so back, and, so far, I haven’t heard of any more braking vibration.......yet...!!! ;)
And, now that I think about it, I’ve never actually had to have front end work done on a car before... :cyclops:

Also, I haven’t had to pay for a set of brake pads in years, as AutoZone has a lifetime warranty...!!!!! :)

That's great that you can do the brakes yourself. Hubs does probably 60% of all the mechanical repairs on our car, but will take it to our (trusted) mechanic for other things. It's really good that hubs has mechanical training (from years ago--had some sort of certification from a community college in Colorado).

Funny thing is that sometimes he'll diagnose a problem quicker than our own mechanic can. But hubs will pay him do the work, if it's something that has to be done up on a lift (which we obviously don't have), or if he doesn't have the right tools. There's also a few specific repairs that he just doesn't like to do, so he'll pay the mechanic to do those. But overall, he's saved us thousands of dollars over the years, because he can fix many things himself. :)

The front end work (late last year) had to do with a (rod?) that was ready to break (or something like that). He let the mechanic do that one, and do the (worn down) brakes at the same time. I will say that the car handled much better after that particular (rod, or whatever it was) replacement. (He had suspected that the car had been in some sort of accident, prior to when we bought it, used.)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That's great that you can do the brakes yourself. Hubs does probably 60% of all the mechanical repairs on our car, but will take it to our (trusted) mechanic for other things. It's really good that hubs has mechanical training (from years ago--had some sort of certification from a community college in Colorado).

Funny thing is that sometimes he'll diagnose a problem quicker than our own mechanic can. But hubs will pay him do the work, if it's something that has to be done up on a lift (which we obviously don't have), or if he doesn't have the right tools. There's also a few specific repairs that he just doesn't like to do, so he'll pay the mechanic to do those. But overall, he's saved us thousands of dollars over the years, because he can fix many things himself. :)

The front end work (late last year) had to do with a (rod?) that was ready to break (or something like that). He let the mechanic do that one, and do the (worn down) brakes at the same time. I will say that the car handled much better after that particular (rod, or whatever it was) replacement. (He had suspected that the car had been in some sort of accident, prior to when we bought it, used.)
Probably a tie-rod. (part of the suspension)20130528193806_5017.jpg

The threaded part under the blue bit

Rista1313

I see only 2 locations for Herb & Fire in MI, so if that’s the case, I dont’ quite consider that a typical “chain” place, yet.
We have a Blaze about 5 mins. away...not sure why we haven’t been yet, but, need to get there soon...!!! :cyclops:;):)
And we also have a family-owned Italian restaurant called Reale’s (I’ve mentioned them before, and they’ve been featured on our local news more than once) that also makes some really good pizzas as well. One location, and they moved here from New York several decades ago, and are very proud of their 100+ year old recipes, as they should be...not inexpensive, but, so beyond darn worth it...!!!!!!! :hungry::)

OH...! I thought that one was a national chain! Learn something new everyday. We have lots of regular old pizza places around here too. Not as good an NY though!

Goofyernmost

They seem to want a complete change to have everything digital. Before you know it, there will be no more tellers. :(
Exactly the same thing that was being said when the first ATM's came on line around 25 or 30 years ago. Hasn't happened yet for the same reasons almost. With the original cause of failure to take hold was that they charged for each ATM transaction, even at your own bank. Why would I stop at the outside ATM (i.e. Debit Card) and pay to use it, when I could just walk in, go to a teller or write a check and do the same thing for no charge. It was something that wasn't all that well thought out at the beginning. Now it is more that external machines rely heavily on the humans to be smart enough or mentally tuned into modern technology enough to use them. People in my age group fall into two categories.... those that cannot grasp every part of it (like programming), but, don't have a problem with technology and those that have convinced themselves that they cannot master it. They can use a calculator and a typewriter, but, haven't yet figured out that basically all a computer is would be those two skills on steroids.

My credit union pays me to use my Debit Card now. 3% on my balance every month when I use it 30 times or more. No limit on how much the purchase is either. Want to buy a pack of gum everyday, it counts. I carry cash in my wallet, but, sometimes the same $20.00 will stay in there for months which probably throws off the money in circulation calculations all off.

Goofyernmost

And not only that, but there could be additional collateral damage. If they will no longer have tellers, that may also mean that they won't have anyone working at the bank, to fill up the free lollipops bowl, or the coffee (k-cups) display, when you go there. :cautious: That's why I like going to the bank -- for my free lollipop, and cup of coffee! ;)
Just like with any business venture, there will always be someone with incite that will realize the business potential connected with human interaction. There will always be people that have fallen behind on the technical world and need or want stress reducing help from actual humans. If that is recognized, then there will always be other places to store one's money, fill the lollipop bowl. Who actually needs coffee, really! 🤮

Goofyernmost

I can do all that stuff even to the point of completely overhauling my engine, I just don't anymore. That's why I lease now. By the time I need any of those "not covered by the warrantee" repairs, it's time for the lease to end and I get a new one. It has been a long time since my fingerprints were packed with non-removable grease that had to be worn off.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Day 3 of staycation. Took a nice long walk in a nature area this morning. Then I stopped in to a roast beef place (a small place that's been around since the 60's--and none of the decor looks like it's ever been changed :p. I like this little restaurant because the roast beef sandwiches are awesome. I also observed that guys really like roast beef. I was the only chick in there -- and about 20 guys! :hilarious: (Ambulance drivers in particular seem to flock to this place.)

This afternoon I cleaned the oven (had to -- there was smoke when it heated up . . . :joyfull: ) and did some financial stuff.
Did you forget to take the manual out before turning it on?:cautious: and ovens need to be run before using to burn off any residual chemicals. Wait you're cooking? Was the fire department and poison control alerted?:cautious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Makes me happy to deal with a credit union:inlove: We deal with real people:inlove:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is why A loves the bank! The free lollipops! And sometimes they put out cookies.

93boomer

Premium Member
The 3 times we’ve stayed there we’ve never had any noise issues.
Maybe it was the time of year...just lucky...not sure...?
I know the 2 times we’ve stayed at POR there were never any noise issues...Bayou building layout and the fact that the pool is on an “island” probably takes care of most of that...!!!!! :hilarious:;):)
Probably the time of year. It was summer and the walls are thin there. We heard all our neighbors talking in their rooms.
POR and POFQ are our favs. They are so much quieter. No thin walls either!😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom