The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

Just what kind of bacon do you speak of Sir. Those Canadian Circles or the American rectangles?

You would have love my St. Louis Ribs this evening.

baby-back-ribs.jpg

meatballs were delish

thumb_600.jpg

And for my meatless friends (no chicken) but sorry B A C O N sorry you'll have to pick it out
Those meatballs look Delish!

MySmallWorldof4

I mentioned our broken garage door a while back. The repair company said the door company no llonger makes our door so our options were a new panel, or a new door. Problem is the new panel wouldn’t look like the old and we have 2 garage doors, so one wouldn’t look like the other if we changed. Anyway just to change a panel would have been over $500 with labor. Mind you the only thing that was broken was the bracket that attaches to the garage door opener. So, dh and I looked on the door company’s website for repair parts and lo and behold they had a bracket that was universal. For $30 we figured it was worth a shot. Guess what? It works!!! :)

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

ridiculous how your prices are pretty similar to Mexico.

Around 4 avocados (1 Kg) is around 60 to 80 pesos depending on what the local big retailers say)
You can get them waaay cheaper if you drive near the avocado farms or the street vendors (like half the price)
Guess if you have a garden in Mexico you can grow one too. If I ever move to Florida I am getting one, as well as lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit. ;)

Rista1313

I mentioned our broken garage door a while back. The repair company said the door company no llonger makes our door so our options were a new panel, or a new door. Problem is the new panel wouldn’t look like the old and we have 2 garage doors, so one wouldn’t look like the other if we changed. Anyway just to change a panel would have been over $500 with labor. Mind you the only thing that was broken was the bracket that attaches to the garage door opener. So, dh and I looked on the door company’s website for repair parts and lo and behold they had a bracket that was universal. For $30 we figured it was worth a shot. Guess what? It works!!! :)

Companies are so ridiculous... they would rather give you the most expensive option rather than offer a more affordable solution and keep a loyal customer. I'm so glad the universal bracket worked for you!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We were told by “experts” we were doomed every 6 mos. or so for the entire time we lived in No Cal from ‘68-‘76 back in the day.
We had earthquake drills at school, and we had at least 3 small-ish earthquakes that I remember while we were living there, that I’ve posted fun about before here a few times, so not going back into detail...interesting experiences, though.
All that being said, and as you posted, unfortunately, California is looooooong overdue for a major quake.

The Loma Prieta earthquake was a huge event in my childhood, destroying many of our historic buildings and causing some poor lady to die while going pee int he bookshop. For us, it's one of those defining moments where you know exactly where you were and what you were doing.

It didn't make the list below but only barely below these others at a 6.9.

Rista1313

The Loma Prieta earthquake was a huge event in my childhood, destroying many of our historic buildings and causing some poor lady to die while going pee int he bookshop. For us, it's one of those defining moments where you know exactly where you were and what you were doing.

Funny (to me) story... when I moved with my first husband to Alaska, I had no idea they had earthquakes up there! 1st morning in new apartment and my bed is shaking.... I thought my husband or sister in law was being funny. By the time I figured out what it was, it was over... another time my couch did the wave, and my front door flew open...

Of course only being 22, I had to call my dad and tell him the ground moved..... o_O

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Funny (to me) story... when I moved with my first husband to Alaska, I had no idea they had earthquakes up there! 1st morning in new apartment and my bed is shaking.... I thought my husband or sister in law was being funny. By the time I figured out what it was, it was over... another time my couch did the wave, and my front door flew open...

Of course only being 22, I had to call my dad and tell him the ground moved..... o_O

I learned as a teenager that Montana actually has the most earthquakes in America. You don't hear about them though, because most of them are not strong enough to register. Earthquakes happen all over the place, but they're usually low enough to maybe spook some animals and register on the richter scale, but not high enough for us to feel it or notice it.

Rista1313

I learned as a teenager that Montana actually has the most earthquakes in America. You don't hear about them though, because most of them are not strong enough to register. Earthquakes happen all over the place, but they're usually low enough to maybe spook some animals and register on the richter scale, but not high enough for us to feel it or notice it.

Didn't know that! About 7 years ago or so... a state south of us had an earthquake, and we felt it way up here... I was sitting at my desk and thinking... yikes am I haven't a seizure...??? Finally I said outloud, "does anyone else feel that?" It was a long one... luckily I wasn't the only one who felt it!

Goofyernmost

We have plenty of Polish deli's here (the town is pretty much 1/2 polish, 1/2 dutch, and a big mix of mutts) but I truly haven't seen this kielbasa loaf!

Plenty of Meijers.. they are headquartered here.... I'll have to check next time I'm there...
It could be due to location as to what it is called. In Vermont there was a very small Polish population. I found basically the same flavor in a loaf called "Old Fashioned Loaf". Both had about the same spicing and bold flavor, but, I have found neither of them in the past decade or more. I have seen Polish Ham, but, I find that no matter what prefix is used, it is still just ham. Reinforcing the theory that a pig is a pig is a pig. :happy:

Goofyernmost

Yes, the magic of DIY approach. My SIL has no mechanical knowledge at all. They had a ceiling heating and AC air intake that had the cover fall off. leaving just an ugly 20X20 filter and frame to look at. They asked a couple "professionals" how much it would be to replace the cover. They were quoted extreme numbers to replace it, so they left it the way it was. I was walking through Lowe's and spotted the entire assembly for the cost of $40.00. I told them about it, but, due to my present physical problems expressed that I wasn't sure I would be able to keep my balance on the ladder.

To my surprise, they went to Lowe's and bought the assembly. They brought it home and my SIL, who previously was afraid to do anything that required a screwdriver because he felt he couldn't do it, was able to install it on his own and told me about it after. He did a great job, it looks like a skilled carpenter did the job. I think he discovered a new hobby. It is possible that it all could turn out to be a disaster depending on what degree of "remodel" he decides to do.

MySmallWorldof4

Was that the quake that happened during the World Series? I was watching the game my sophomore year in college when it happened.

Songbird76

The Efteling actually has 3 overnight choices, one is the hotel with regular or themed rooms.
The second is a very basic bungalow park with limited facilities and the third is a beautiful holiday park with different style of old Dutch houses, a pool, restaurant and shop. Efteling entrance is included in the price of your stay however all three options are expensive, to me it's worth it because I love being there but other people just shake their head and look elsewhere, as an overnight guest you do get early morning access to a limited number of rides.
Yeah, I looked into staying 2 years ago when we went, but DH didn't think we really needed to do that. But, when we went, they had extended hours on certain nights, and we went on one of those days and stayed the whole day. I remember that by the end, DD was in tears....there was something with her pants rubbing on her skin and she was in pain. AND we didn't know about DS's Autism at the time, and DH had not learned to be patient, etc. Now that we know DS's limits, and we went in the off season, it would really have been nice to have 2 days and to be right there. I knew there were several options for lodging there, but I couldn't remember how many and what they all are. I know the hotel is closest, and then the others are farther away....that's about as much as I remember. Maybe next time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom