The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

The Loma Prieta earthquake was a huge event in my childhood, destroying many of our historic buildings and causing some poor lady to die while going pee int he bookshop. For us, it's one of those defining moments where you know exactly where you were and what you were doing.

It didn't make the list below but only barely below these others at a 6.9.

Not a fan of having to share the same tectonical fault lol.

In our case.. our quakes are harder in strength because there are 4 different tectonic plates crushing each other infront of Mexico (western side) and 2 of them can cause megathrust quakes (those quakes that devastated Japan and Indonesia were mega-thrust ones.. )
Pacific, Rivera, Cocos and North American plates.. crashing to each other..
Cocos being the most active in activity and strength and has hit my country quiet a few times. So I feel your pain.

I think the strongest quake I've ever felt was a 7.5 one, close to the source.

Last edited:

Songbird76

I agree about having to stop at more than one store. Luckily I have 3 grocery stores within 2 miles of my house. I do most of my shopping at Aldi, I get my meat from another store. And if there is something I can't get at the 2 stores, I can get at the 3rd usually. Sometimes it's a pain, but it does save me Disney money in the long run.
Aldi is literally next door to Albert Heijn...they share a building. And I walk to the store, so there's no gas money. I do buy some things at Aldi, but not much...and the cashiers at Albert Heijn are SO much nicer. I don't know why, but the majority of the people at our Aldi seem annoyed if you ask a question like....where to find something, or if something is just out of stock or if it's gone forever. The ones at Albert Heijn bend over backwards to try to help you, and if they can't answer your question, they'll go get one of the managers to help you. That's probably just our Aldi though. I'm betting it's not like that everywhere. I went in once, and they don't have baskets, and I had just gone in for one thing, so I hadn't gotten a cart. The carts are outside and you have to have a 1 euro coin to get one out (you get it back when you return the cart). So I got the one item I needed, and I was walking through and I remembered I needed peanut butter, so I grabbed a jar, and then I saw something else I needed. I was trying to hold it all, but the peanut butter slipped and fell and the jar broke. I felt really bad and I offered to pay for it, plus the new jar but the cashier chewed me out about not getting a cart, and was just really mean about it. You'd have thought I ran over someone's pet the way she scolded me, and I was like...look, if you don't want people to carry things, provide baskets. I did not need a cart for 3 items...I'm just a clutz. It's not like I purposely dropped it, and I offered to pay for it since it was my fault.
Anyway, I just avoid Aldi if I can. Like I said, maybe it's just our Aldi...maybe others are 100 times better. I just dislike going in there. It gives me a really bad vibe and I can't wait to leave, and the lines are always really long. Now I want to go to one in the US just to compare.

Songbird76

I hate to tell you he wouldn't believe you if you were a doctor, then it would be you didn't specialize in nutritional medicine, if you did then it wouldn't be pediatric nutritional medicine etc, etc, etc............….............. Kids:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: The boys have told my dh he doesn't know anything about computers or electronics:rolleyes:
No, DH sat down with him and asked him if it would make him feel better if her heard it from a dietician/nutritionist or doctor and he said yes, because they have actually studied it, and we haven't. He's not sure we know what we're talking about because we haven't studied it. But a doctor has to know about those things, so he said he would trust that.

donaldtoo

The Loma Prieta earthquake was a huge event in my childhood, destroying many of our historic buildings and causing some poor lady to die while going pee int he bookshop. For us, it's one of those defining moments where you know exactly where you were and what you were doing.

It didn't make the list below but only barely below these others at a 6.9.

Oh, I definitely remember the Loma Prieta quake of '89, even though we had long since been back in Texas.
We were gettin' ready to watch game 3 of the World Series on TV between the A's and the Giants at Candlestick Park when it hit.
Terrible damage and loss of life, and so very sad.
A huge portion of the Nimitz Freeway collapsing, Severe damage to the Oakland Bay Bridge, liquefaction and building collapse in San Francisco's Marina District, etc.
My mothers cousin and her family still lived in Watsonville at the time and they suffered major damage.
Strangely enough, and I've posted about this before, one of the small earthquakes I posted about experiencing when we lived in No Cal was in Watsonville in about '74.
We were at my mothers cousins place on Thanksgiving and had just sat down at the table to say Grace when it started.
Nobody said a word, but, we all got up pretty quickly and walked out the back door to their auto court. It stopped after about 20 seconds or so, but, we watched as the old house still kept swaying back and forth and creaking as it did, until it finally slowly settled. We all kinda' just looked at each other, filed back inside, sat back down, said Grace, and continued on with the festivities almost like it never happened, and I don't remember any aftershocks.

IIRC, you lived in Santa Cruz at the time, and the had some pretty severe damage as well.
A huge, defining event indeed, and so sorry you had to go through that as a child.
Fortunately for us, the only large quake that happened in Cali. when we lived there was the San Fernando quake of '71 at a 6.5 magnitude that did a lot of damage down there.
We actually have the Balcones Fault here that pretty much runs right through Austin, but, it's been inactive for over 10,000 years.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Aldi is literally next door to Albert Heijn...they share a building. And I walk to the store, so there's no gas money. I do buy some things at Aldi, but not much...and the cashiers at Albert Heijn are SO much nicer. I don't know why, but the majority of the people at our Aldi seem annoyed if you ask a question like....where to find something, or if something is just out of stock or if it's gone forever. The ones at Albert Heijn bend over backwards to try to help you, and if they can't answer your question, they'll go get one of the managers to help you. That's probably just our Aldi though. I'm betting it's not like that everywhere. I went in once, and they don't have baskets, and I had just gone in for one thing, so I hadn't gotten a cart. The carts are outside and you have to have a 1 euro coin to get one out (you get it back when you return the cart). So I got the one item I needed, and I was walking through and I remembered I needed peanut butter, so I grabbed a jar, and then I saw something else I needed. I was trying to hold it all, but the peanut butter slipped and fell and the jar broke. I felt really bad and I offered to pay for it, plus the new jar but the cashier chewed me out about not getting a cart, and was just really mean about it. You'd have thought I ran over someone's pet the way she scolded me, and I was like...look, if you don't want people to carry things, provide baskets. I did not need a cart for 3 items...I'm just a clutz. It's not like I purposely dropped it, and I offered to pay for it since it was my fault.
Anyway, I just avoid Aldi if I can. Like I said, maybe it's just our Aldi...maybe others are 100 times better. I just dislike going in there. It gives me a really bad vibe and I can't wait to leave, and the lines are always really long. Now I want to go to one in the US just to compare.

The ones in the US also do not have baskets and you have to deposit a quarter to get a cart.

I bring a reuseable shopping bag with me and use that as my basket. I put things into it while I shop, then I put them on the belt, and right back into it.

Rista1313

Same here, we pay a quarter 25cents for our carts and get it back upon return. Because I know they don't have baskets, I bring a reusable bag in when I only have a few things to pick up. Most of our Aldi people are nice, but I always feel bad for them because Aldi works them hard!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Oh, I definitely remember the Loma Prieta quake of '89, even though we had long since been back in Texas.
We were gettin' ready to watch game 3 of the World Series on TV between the A's and the Giants at Candlestick Park when it hit.
Terrible damage and loss of life, and so very sad.
A huge portion of the Nimitz Freeway collapsing, Severe damage to the Oakland Bay Bridge, liquefaction and building collapse in San Francisco's Marina District, etc.
My mothers cousin and her family still lived in Watsonville at the time and they suffered major damage.
Strangely enough, and I've posted about this before, one of the small earthquakes I posted about experiencing when we lived in No Cal was in Watsonville in about '74.
We were at my mothers cousins place on Thanksgiving and had just sat down at the table to say Grace when it started.
Nobody said a word, but, we all got up pretty quickly and walked out the back door to their auto court. It stopped after about 20 seconds or so, but, we watched as the old house still kept swaying back and forth and creaking as it did, until it finally slowly settled. We all kinda' just looked at each other, filed, back inside sat back down, said Grace, and continued on with the festivities almost like it never happened, and I don't remember any aftershocks.

IIRC, you lived in Santa Cruz at the time, and the had some pretty severe damage as well.
A huge, defining event indeed, and so sorry you had to go through that as a child.
Fortunately for us, the only large quake that happened in Cali. when we lived there was the San Fernando quake of '71 at a 6.5 magnitude that did a lot of damage down there.
We actually have the Balcones Fault here that pretty much runs right through Austin, but, it's been inactive for over 10,000 years.

Yes Santa Cruz. And we're equally nonchalant about earthquakes!! LOL.

As a child the greatest impact was the poor lady who died in the Bookshop Santa Cruz. She was in the middle of going to the bathroom. I don't know why that stuck with me like it did, but my greatest fear in life has always been to die while going to the bathroom, because of that woman. That's all they talked about for weeks when they mentioned her. That she was going to the bathroom. I remember being incredibly embarrassed for her.

When I was in Iraq, sometimes the mortar sirens would go off while I was using the bathroom and I would straight panic. Because that would just be my luck, LOL. Thankfully only a few close calls, and none of them caught me with my pants down, LOL

MySmallWorldof4

No, DH sat down with him and asked him if it would make him feel better if her heard it from a dietician/nutritionist or doctor and he said yes, because they have actually studied it, and we haven't. He's not sure we know what we're talking about because we haven't studied it. But a doctor has to know about those things, so he said he would trust that.
Regular MD's spend about 30 minutes on nutrition in med school. I would take him to a nutritionist.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I kept forgetting to post these, but @Gabe1 just posted about Aldi, and it reminded me...I've never been to an American Aldi store, but I mentioned that over here, our Aldi is tiny and lacks variety. So Aldi is remodeling and I snapped some pictures so you can see how big it is.

View attachment 363203

This is the entire store.
View attachment 363204

And then a few days later with the floor in place:
View attachment 363205

They open back up Friday....I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the new set up.
Thanks for that. I’d say ours are maybe 1/3 larger. Almost all have been remodeled in the last 1.5 years and set up reset. All are utilitarian.

Aldi has a unique business model here. They stock canned goods, refrigerated, frozen and most produce in their cardboard boxes they were shipped in shipped in. Employees are trained to do every position. Replacement food comes daily. Produce is always fresh. Overwhelmingly their food is generic. Their breads are equal to house brands in large chains. That is were I see the most choices. Their prices are better than Walmart by a lot. Most products are good quality.

I buy a lot of my staples there from spices to frozen green beans also items like diced tomatoes and sauce I buy in volume. Items like their carrots always have the best flavor. The most employees I’ve seen at one here is 3 at a time. Here they pay better than most similar stores and are always cheerful.

Cesar R M

Thanks for that. I’d say ours are maybe 1/3 larger. Almost all have been remodeled in the last 1.5 years and set up reset. All are utilitarian.

Aldi has a unique business model here. They stock canned goods, refrigerated, frozen and most produce in their cardboard boxes they were shipped in shipped in. Employees are trained to do every position. Replacement food comes daily. Produce is always fresh. Overwhelmingly their food is generic. Their breads are equal to house brands in large chains. That is were I see the most choices. Their prices are better than Walmart by a lot. Most products are good quality.

I buy a lot of my staples there from spices to frozen green beans also items like diced tomatoes and sauce I buy in volume. Items like their carrots always have the best flavor. The most employees I’ve seen at one here is 3 at a time. Here they pay better than most similar stores and are always cheerful.
oh.. and happy belated birthday? I'm unsure.. it is today or was it yesterday?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom