The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

So....I guess I'm going to be tutoring our neighbor girl in English..sort of? I went to the grocery store, and I was walking back and our neighbor down the street was at our door. (They are from Iran and there are always delicious smells coming from their house....I want to go eat dinner there!) Her daughter is the same age as DD....they went to the same school for a while and then the girl transferred to a Montesori school. But, she's at DD's school now, but doing one level lower, and apparently she's doing really well in everything....except English. She's barely passing, and if they don't pass, they have to redo the year. So the mother BEGGED me to please help her as she's heard me speaking English to my kids. I have never given English lessons before, though I did volunteer with ESL in college, teaching foreign kids to speak English, but they were LITTLE kids. We watched a lot of Barney. I don't think a 13 year old is going to want to watch Barney. So I'm a little out of my depth, but I want to help her, and when I mentioned DD is fluent in English, we decided that might be better. This poor girl looked sooooo uncomfortable, and when I mentioned that DD can speak fluently, she looked so much more relaxed and I asked her if she would prefer that, so it's more like talking to a friend than getting an English tutor and she looked relieved. So DD and the girl exchanged information and she will come over once a week to speak English and I can help with the grammar and technical things. Wish me luck.
Good luck!!!

MySmallWorldof4

I need some help....I'm almost positive that someone here or in the Trip Reports said they are a dietician/nutritionist. Anyone know who that is? DS has been having troubles sleeping for years now, and he'll come in right after he goes to bed, saying he is thinking about death, but he would never tell us what was wrong. We knew some of it was when he was bullied so badly, and it stopped for a while after we switched schools, but it's been happening again lately and last night he told DH that he's afraid he's going to die because he's a picky eater. DH explained that, while yes, his diet could be healthier, we are working on that and he's learning to try a few things....he'll eat pasta now, and rice, he'll eat spinach in lasagna, and peas with rice and beef, and he loves milk, so he is not going to die because he ate chicken nuggets twice this week. He is not convinced, because daddy never studied nutrition and what does he know about it? He's terrified that he's going to die in the immediate future because he doesn't like fruits and vegetables. We need someone who has actually studied and has a degree in it to tell him that he's in no immediate danger of imminent death.
Why don’t you take this as an opportunity for him to try fruits and vegetables. Long term without eating fruits and vegetables is not good for cells. They need micronutrients from them for normal biological processes. You know my son is picky. I had it last week. I juices apples and carrots for him in our juicer and basically told him to drink it. End of story. If he didn’t want to eat the food because of texture, then he could at least get the nutrients from them through fresh juice. He finished the glass and has some everyday now. Just a thought. One of my degrees is in biology. ;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Thank you as of now no fever knock wood.(ferret's head) and I'm feeling almost back to normal except for the tired part, as for a nap ROFLMAO but I got some Basin time. Basin fixes almost everything:joyfull:

Basin does a good job fixing stuff! Before we went to Disneyland a couple weeks ago I was feeling a little draggy like a cold was coming on, I took a bath with a Basin bath bomb and started feeling better after it.

donaldtoo

World has gone bat crazy.

And in addition to the above, my rant today is about the people who "bought": their college aged kids admission into some top colleges. But wait, there's more -- While two of the more well-known Hollywood types were at the federal courthouse in Boston today, there were actually some fans outside, waiting to get autographs and selfies with them??!! Are you kidding me??!!

Because of these mothers, (and about 18 other lesser known, but wealthy people, who bought college admission for their kids), the dreams of some other qualified, hard working, young people, never came to fruition, as they lost their acceptances by someone who stole it from them. I'm beside myself over what I saw on my local news stations here this evening. :mad:

Yep, bat stuff crazy all the way around.

donaldtoo

A few of our students in the past few years have been accepted into some elite schools, like Harvard, Stanford & MIT. My students worked HARD to get into those schools. They earned their ACT & SAT scores and then their scholarships and it makes me mad to think of some people just buying off ACT/SAT proctors and schools. I am not naive to think that it hasn't happened for a long time but it makes me sad and mad on behalf of the people who actually deserve to go to these schools and get bumped for the cheaters.

Hopefully the silver lining in all of this is that from here on out things will be monitored much more closely, resulting in this type of shenanigans occurring much less frequently.

MySmallWorldof4

Wasnt that because it was super cold and the cold lasted way longer than normal?

I remember someone from here mentioned there was snow.. in June??
I know we planted a little later. The temperature was colder than average I think last summer, but the rain really did a number on the garden. That was what my SIL’s friend who is a Master Gardener said anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom