The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MouseDreaming

So.. got an additional email from the cruise recruitment company. turns out that the addendum in my interview was "looks nervous and this affected his ability to express his ideas".

and out of the 4 guys, only 1 passed this interview. They invited me to try again next year.. hmm...

I definitively wasn't that nervous and more like "I need food" kind of way after waiting 6 hours for my interview turn ( I was the last one who wasn't told to "come back later").
But, now you have that feedback. And you know to eat well before your interview, if you could possibly be waiting 6 hours (6 hours is crazy, by the way), before your actual interview.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
So.. got an additional email from the cruise recruitment company. turns out that the addendum in my interview was "looks nervous and this affected his ability to express his ideas".

and out of the 4 guys, only 1 passed this interview. They invited me to try again next year.. hmm...

I definitively wasn't that nervous and more like "I need food" kind of way after waiting 6 hours for my interview turn ( I was the last one who wasn't told to "come back later").

In the military we had a saying.... Perception is Reality.

If you weren't nervous, that's great! But you still came across nervous and gave the impression that you were nervous. So sit with that and try to figure out what you were doing that would give that impression. That way you can improve.

I'm sorry you got passed over for this. I know you really wanted it.

Songbird76

Well, it's good feedback anyway. You can practice that..maybe practice answering questions in a mirror, or record yourself so you can see any mannerisms that make it look like you are nervous, etc.

Edited to add: it may also be a good idea to bring some snacks in case you have to wait a long time.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

This is off any previous topic but I'll share it anyway. My band room is right near the lunch room. Between lesson groups I decided to take a break from my 5th graders and I visited the lunch tables for the kindergarten kids. As soon as I got to a certain table a little boy had his lunch bag on his head. The girl next to him looked me right in the eyes and with a big smile she said: "Joey said his lunch smells like dog poopy" o_O
What a difference between kindergarten and 5th grade :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rista1313

This is off any previous topic but I'll share it anyway. My band room is right near the lunch room. Between lesson groups I decided nto take a break from my 5th graders and I visited the lunch tables for the kindergarten kids. As soon as I got to a certain table a little boy had his lunch bag on his head. The girl next to him looked me right in the eyes and with a big smile she said: "Joey said his lunch smells like dog poopy" o_O
What a difference between kindergarten and 5th grade :rolleyes:

Is it really though? LOL

Cesar R M

Sure, but they should have given everyone a time, even if it was 15 minutes apart. So if he was running behind and you were told to be there for 1, maybe your wait would have been an hour and not six.
That is the funny thing, because the guys who were AFTER me (those who had low level jobs, like waiters) were told to "come back in 1 hours".

Anyway from around 900 people who were interested in the jobs, we were around 50-60 people only in the short list.
And I think only 20% made it further.

Cesar R M

But, now you have that feedback. And you know to eat well before your interview, if you could possibly be waiting 6 hours (6 hours is crazy, by the way), before your actual interview.
I actually had a few options but I they told me to wait. I did not expect to be called last.
I had an energy bar which I devoured. And then they only had coffee, water and cookies.

Cesar R M

Well, it's good feedback anyway. You can practice that..maybe practice answering questions in a mirror, or record yourself so you can see any mannerisms that make it look like you are nervous, etc.

Edited to add: it may also be a good idea to bring some snacks in case you have to wait a long time.
Next time I'm probably going to make a list, or some sort of helpful notes to guide me to say all the "spiel" I had in mind.

donaldtoo

On our last cruise (on Royal Caribbean) the Activities Director seemed to have sooo much fun. She ran the Karaoke that I participated in and also Zumba that my wife went to. I think I can tell the difference between someone who smiles because that's their job and someone who really likes their job. She got a kick out of my singing Frank Sinatra's "New York New York". Whenever I saw her at a distance interacting with her cruise peers she seemed like she was right where she hoped to be in life.
I know Cesar does not want to be an Activities Director but I'm building up to my wish to agree with @MinnieM123 re. when working with others that you like..... that feeling of "being part of a group/team"....that can make life enjoyable. A good boss is important in any line of work ;)

Yep, I’ve heard horror stories about pretty much every occupation you can think of, including my own.
I once worked with someone who’s previous employer kept track of every key stroke and icon click they made during the work day.
They had someone on staff for specifically analyzing this data and would reprimand/fire those who were not holding up to any “standard” they had.
Just ludicrous in the creative field I’m in, as there are constantly revisions, modifications, tweaks, etc., during the process. Plus, a few of us are still crankin’ out old school drafting table stuff from time to time, and there’s no way to keep track of those pen strokes other than a perceived deadline in a partners head...!!!!! :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom