The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Sympathy like.
It's just an amazing night and day difference between what you used to be able to purchase at Disney shops and what is available for purchase now, and how few specialty shops are even left. The specialty stuff is still there at certain places, but, not nearly like it used to be.
Take Main Street USA, as just one example.
Used to be pretty much all specialty shops.
I remember, in recent years, a storm squall just starting to let loose as we were approaching Casey's on the way out of the park. We ducked into Casey's, and just kept walking south inside, occasionally stopping along the way to look at some merch...what the heck?! With the exception of Casey's, the whole west side of MSUSA is just one connected, repeating, homogenized merch shop from north to south. :cyclops:

Rant over.
But, not apologizing for it. :bored: ;)
Sure, but you were pretty happy about it during the storm. I've always been somewhat bewildered about the gene that prompts people to buy, buy, buy anyway. Sure necessities and the occasional souvenir, but, specialty shops in a theme park? I don't grasp that concept at all. When Disneyland first opened, they sold pianos, bras and cars in the shops on MSUSA. Sure it created some type of reality to a make-believe street, but, it really had no reason for people to invest in someplace that rarely sold anything. It was for show mostly. Can you imagine not only putting a car in the colorful Disney bag and then stuffing it in the stroller with little Sally? When DL opened the times didn't really allow for a lot of out of the area guests, so local promotion probably would have been able to sustain itself, but, a place like WDW, which is far more international then local, would have had almost no return at all.

The growth of Disney Parks is easily the real reason for the change over. Even if they wanted to have specialty shops, who would have purchased things to the degree that would be necessary to support that investment. Walt himself wouldn't have invested his money in merchandise that just sat there looking like a real store. It worked to some degree when DL first opened because people might see something they liked and then have gone to the actual sponsors store to purchase it. Not so anymore! We changed and they changed with it.

MouseDreaming

I'm a bit upset. It seems between chorus and band we won't be able to get away for even a long weekend this summer:( I guess I'll be at the pool quite a bit:joyfull: It's not getting away but it's not home:hilarious:
Yeah, family trips get tricky when they hit high school. And now I know it is worse when one is in college. DS had Spring Break, then DD and I had ours the following week. DH refused to get away without DS. And now, trying to plan to get out to see DD march down Main Street is becoming a nightmare. Won't know until beginning of next school year if he is in (what we call) the big boy band, which travels much of the year, or home for the holidays. In which case, he should come with us.

MouseDreaming

Everyone deserves at least a mini-vacation. If they miss just 1-2 days (and then add in a weekend), that could be a nice break. I'm just thinking that not every other kid would have 100% attendance either, particularly in the summer months.
And by me, unless you missed because you were laid up in the hospital, or someone died, there's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom