The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I knew my Mom's family pretty well my Grandmother had the family Bible from generations before and it was very detailed from Births, Marriages, Deaths, disappearing husbands, children outside of marriage, you name it they recorded it in the family Bible.
We knew who immigrated alone, who immigrated with family, from where to where. Who died in an accident or at War and who was given to convents 'cause of family reasons.

Now my Gran, my Dads Mom was a private person. She didn't believe in questions. Now this is where we found our Dang moments too Long after she was Dead.
When I was growing up, my parents and grandparents never talked about the past, but, even if they had they really weren't able to go back much more then two generations. They always told me that we were German and that the spelling of our last name was changed during WWI because of it's German Spelling. About three years ago I sat down and did a family tree, working backwards it appear that my namesakes, came here from Great Britain in the mid 16 hundreds. The patriarch was given a land grant by whomever was King of England at the time for about 100 acres near Boston. It followed a perfect line right to myself. So I am not German at all, not even close.

An interesting note was that the original patriarch arrived here with his wife and two young boys. Just months after they arrived, he died. Then due to the fact that, at the time, the wife had no rights to anything, the land grant was revoked. It didn't say how she supported herself and her two children for over 18 years until the Crown finally gave her three acres of the original 100. I was a descendant of one of his/her sons. They never amounted to anything famous, a family trait that I continued to uphold, and they never ventured very far away from Boston, ending up near the Canadian Border of New York state, where over the years we all seemed much more French Canadian then British. As far as I know, I am the only one that ever located very far away from New England.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Gee thnx now I can't decide if I want to make rice or tapioca pudding today;)
I loves me some tapioca pudding, but, it takes to long to make and requires constant stirring and I just don't have that kind of time. I have to watch grass grow (sorry, but, yes that is happening here in the Carolina's) In fact they have mowed here for the last four weeks. Pretty much what the groundhog predicted. Short winter.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is a huge problem since this is a CULTURAL difference.
Just like Americans from the USA cannot tolerate how close the Japanese get together when talking (there was an study I remember reading where the japanese separation was like.. 15 to 30 cms, and the american average was 1 meter of separation during conversations).
Americans find the usual expressiveness of latin americans as "fidgeting" when thats incorrect. Hell, I've even read that the gestures and movements of certain groups do annoy them. We gesticulate and use our hands a lot on conversations. and I know americans do not.

Italians for example are supposed to be one of the groups that gesticulate and use their hands the most.

This is fair. But it gives you two options. Conform and try to suppress the things you know are going to make you look nervous to the person interviewing you based on their culture, or call out the elephant in the room and reference it yourself.

Sometimes just acknowledging it can make a huge difference. It puts you both on the same side.

Goofyernmost

Yesterday was too windy to be outside and today it's raining. I'm feeling like a shut in:(
Lately, I have been sleeping longer due to the increased meds for my back issues. Saturday, I slept for 8 straight hours. I know for some that isn't a big deal, but, trust me it has been years since I slept that many, uninterrupted, hours.

I woke up in the worst mood that I have ever been in since my pre-retirement days. I felt like I had been a prisoner, not because of weather, but, because of back pain that stopped me from doing very much. Apparently this med increase has helped a lot, because my back has been much better. I was swearing at everything that a saw, everything I heard on the TV, you name it, I was that angry.

So I hopped in my car and drove east to I-95, drove in sort of a triangle 150 miles until I arrived back home. At that time I realized how much I have associated I-95 with good times. How making the trip from Vermont to Florida and warm air, palm trees and fun times with my family via I-95 was burnt into my brain so strongly that just riding on that highway, pointed south, just worked like a warm blanket. It helped that it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, and the temperatures hit, a low humidity, 70 degrees. It felt so good to get back outside, even in a car.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

When I was growing up, my parents and grandparents never talked about the past, but, even if they had they really weren't able to go back much more then two generations. They always told me that we were German and that the spelling of our last name was changed during WWI because of it's German Spelling. About three years ago I sat down and did a family tree, working backwards it appear that my namesakes, came here from Great Britain in the mid 16 hundreds. The patriarch was given a land grant by whomever was King of England at the time for about 100 acres near Boston. It followed a perfect line right to myself. So I am not German at all, not even close.

An interesting note was that the original patriarch arrived here with his wife and two young boys. Just months after they arrived, he died. Then due to the fact that, at the time, the wife had no rights to anything, the land grant was revoked. It didn't say how she supported herself and her two children for over 18 years until the Crown finally gave her three acres of the original 100. I was a descendant of one of his/her sons. They never amounted to anything famous, a family trait that I continued to uphold, and they never ventured very far away from Boston, ending up near the Canadian Border of New York state, where over the years we all seemed much more French Canadian then British. As far as I know, I am the only one that ever located very far away from New England.
That is so interesting! Amazing to know that at one point your family owned property that is now worth millions of dollars. I guess that is kind of sad too.

MySmallWorldof4

I loves me some tapioca pudding, but, it takes to long to make and requires constant stirring and I just don't have that kind of time. I have to watch grass grow (sorry, but, yes that is happening here in the Carolina's) In fact they have mowed here for the last four weeks. Pretty much what the groundhog predicted. Short winter.
I wish. Haven’t seen a flower even. Waiting for buds on trees to show themselves.

MySmallWorldof4

Lately, I have been sleeping longer due to the increased meds for my back issues. Saturday, I slept for 8 straight hours. I know for some that isn't a big deal, but, trust me it has been years since I slept that many, uninterrupted, hours.

I woke up in the worst mood that I have ever been in since my pre-retirement days. I felt like I had been a prisoner, not because of weather, but, because of back pain that stopped me from doing very much. Apparently this med increase has helped a lot, because my back has been much better. I was swearing at everything that a saw, everything I heard on the TV, you name it, I was that angry.

So I hopped in my car and drove east to I-95, drove in sort of a triangle 150 miles until I arrived back home. At that time I realized how much I have associated I-95 with good times. How making the trip from Vermont to Florida and warm air, palm trees and fun times with my family via I-95 was burnt into my brain so strongly that just riding on that highway, pointed south, just worked like a warm blanket. It helped that it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, and the temperatures hit, a low humidity, 70 degrees. It felt so go to get back outside, even in a car.
I get that same happy feeling on 95, even if I am not going to Florida. I associate that road with great family memories, even if some of them are crawling at 15 mph. Glad the drive helped your mood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom