The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

SteveBrickNJ

Thanks, not what my DD was questioning though. She knew the song and meaning of it. She is pretty fluent in Spanish and by the replies so far they are both on it. :inlove:
That's really great then. Sometimes 15 to 21 year olds have a "secret language" and certain words are code for something you would never imagine. I was mostly focused on YOU in case you were toying with "should I let her buy that shirt or shouldn't I? "

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Just finished watching “Hidden Figures”.
Sad in so many ways due to that time in our nation’s history, but, so powerful, and a wonderful message...great flick...!!!!! :happy::)

On a side note:
Youngest DD informed me that the actor (Glen Powell) that played John Glenn graduated from the HS all 3 of our kiddos went to after our oldest DDs freshman year...!!! :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Next time I'm probably going to make a list, or some sort of helpful notes to guide me to say all the "spiel" I had in mind.

Beyond the content these are good words of wisdom:

If you want to connect with your interviewer, don’t:

1. Cross your arms or legs or splay or legs. When in an interview, you should come across as approachable. To achieve this, keep your back straight, your head high, and your chest and arms “open.”
  2. Avoid eye contact. Avoiding eye contact is something insecure people do unconsciously, to avoid confrontation. In an interview, you need to come across as secure and confident, and one way of showing this is to look your interviewer in the eye while you’re speaking. When you look people in the eye, they will in turn pay more attention to you and what you’re saying because they’ll feel engaged.
  3. Stare at a single spot. Interviewers notice when you’re not looking at them. Looking down and staring at one spot while in an interview makes you look like you’re unsure of yourself and what you’re saying. Again, try to look your interviewer in the eye and they’ll pay close attention.
  4. Fidget too much. Fidgeting translates to nervousness, and nervousness is a total distraction. The interviewer ends up focusing on the fidgeting and not paying attention to what you’re saying. To avoid fidgeting, make sure you’re aware of it. Being conscious of your body and of your body language is a great way to avoid fidgeting. A great way to be conscious of your body language is to practice an interview in front of a mirror or with a friend.
  5. Forget to smile. Smiling is a great way to come across as approachable, make your interviewer feel comfortable and willing to listen.
  6. Talk “too fast, too slow, or too low.” If you speak too fast, your interviewer will have hard time following. If you speak to low or slow, you’ll probably bore them. Either way, your attempt to communicate why you’re a good fit for the job will be compromised. Again, practice in front of a mirror or with a friend, find the right volume and tone, work on emphasizing important words and expressions and articulate every syllable.

Gabe1

That's really great then. Sometimes 15 to 21 year olds have a "secret language" and certain words are code for something you would never imagine. I was mostly focused on YOU in case you were toying with "should I let her buy that shirt or shouldn't I? "

I obviously don't talk about my family specifics too often as I've played on this thread a very very long time and those threads prior to this one. I have two adult children both out of college, DD is finishing Grad School the Manchild is older. So basically I let my Mom card go years and years ago. She wasn't looking to buy the shirt, she is pretty fluent in Spanish and was like this is not right.

StarWarsGirl

I decided to do one of those Ancestry.com two week trials for fun.

Now I'm seriously questioning the sanity of my family after they kept naming their daughters "Mildred".
Okay, now the interesting part...

My great grandmother was raised by her grandmother. Her father died when she was two. Her mother supposedly died before that.

Well...

That's not what happened. Her mother left her father, remarried, and died in eastern Maryland in the 1970s.

I mean, dang.

Gabe1

Okay, now the interesting part...

My great grandmother was raised by her grandmother. Her father died when she was two. Her mother supposedly died before that.

Well...

That's not what happened. Her mother left her father, remarried, and died in eastern Maryland in the 1970s.

I mean, dang.

I knew my Mom's family pretty well my Grandmother had the family Bible from generations before and it was very detailed from Births, Marriages, Deaths, disappearing husbands, children outside of marriage, you name it they recorded it in the family Bible.
We knew who immigrated alone, who immigrated with family, from where to where. Who died in an accident or at War and who was given to convents 'cause of family reasons.

Now my Gran, my Dads Mom was a private person. She didn't believe in questions. Now this is where we found our Dang moments too Long after she was Dead.

MouseDreaming

Porque could mean both "Why" and " For what".

Turn down for what?
It doesnt make much sense unless its like a answer for turning down the party noise or something like that.
Turn down for what is a slang term. Our drumline used that as a call response for one game. They had to change it because a parent complained. And then the song it is in, is played during breaks in the game action. I guess the parent figures that is ok. Or football players, who pick the music, trump all. 4 years later, they still play it.

Cesar R M

Fidget too much. Fidgeting translates to nervousness, and nervousness is a total distraction. The interviewer ends up focusing on the fidgeting and not paying attention to what you’re saying. To avoid fidgeting, make sure you’re aware of it. Being conscious of your body and of your body language is a great way to avoid fidgeting. A great way to be conscious of your body language is to practice an interview in front of a mirror or with a friend.
This is a huge problem since this is a CULTURAL difference.
Just like Americans from the USA cannot tolerate how close the Japanese get together when talking (there was an study I remember reading where the japanese separation was like.. 15 to 30 cms, and the american average was 1 meter of separation during conversations).
Americans find the usual expressiveness of latin americans as "fidgeting" when thats incorrect. Hell, I've even read that the gestures and movements of certain groups do annoy them. We gesticulate and use our hands a lot on conversations. and I know americans do not.

Italians for example are supposed to be one of the groups that gesticulate and use their hands the most.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just finished watching “Hidden Figures”.
Sad in so many ways due to that time in our nation’s history, but, so powerful, and a wonderful message...great flick...!!!!! :happy::)

On a side note:
Youngest DD informed me that the actor (Glen Powell) that played John Glenn graduated from the HS all 3 of our kiddos went to after our oldest DDs freshman year...!!! :)

That was such an inspiring story, and one of my all-time favorite films.

(And fun trivia about Glen Powell, too!)

12in12

This is the first time since I was a kid where I went and bought all new clothes for vacation, meaning 5 of the same pair of capri pants (sorry for those of you out there who hate them, but they are just soooo comfy to me) and new earth shoes (my favorite brand). T-shirts I passed on because I still have some of those left.
Having comfortable clothes is very important so I'm glad you got 5 pair of new pants. Those should last you awhile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom