The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

It's going to be a cluster as you said. As in the ads for NFL made it sound amazing and when you got there construction walls everywhere. That was the year we were going to do UNI instead but after James broke his arm we decided on another long trip and couldn't swing both but we got SWW and Billy D and @MouseDreaming so it worked out
Not that it has any weight to it, but, I would think that the only place that is going to be a madhouse is DHS itself. The opening will bring in a lot of people, but, a vast grouping of them are going for Star Wars only. They aren't interested in the other parks at the opening. Sure, there will be some spill over, but, not as bad as it might seem it would be. DHS, the Water Parks and the Hotels/Restaurants will require that you make reservations as quickly as possible for either on or offsite accommodations.
I would make an offsite reservation now not later. You can do that before the mad rush kicks in. Then if you want and can get an onsite reservation, just cancel the first one. Seriously, this is going to be big... don't wait.

MySmallWorldof4

7-9 is what would normally be expected for that time of year, but that's why we're going this year. Because it was expected to be lower crowds because of Star Wars land opening in Cali first, in the Summer, and not until Fall in Florida. Touring Plans' crowd calendar listed everything as being between 2 and 4, with the exception of AK, which was at a 5 every day, probably because of Pandora. But that was the busiest park. And they offered free dining for the Summer months....something they have never done before from the sounds of it, which would indicate their bookings for this Summer were way down and they were trying desperately to attract people in the Summer even though SW wouldn't be open. I'm guessing that didn't work very well, and now they are rolling out the SW part that's likely to be finished so they get bookings. I know, we have 2 weeks, and I make lists, but I was really looking forward to some nice low crowds. Especially since we'll have a large group for the first week and won't be able to just do what we want to do. We are not park commandos...we can't be with DS, and he can't handle the huge crowds. I wanted to take advantage of the timing so we wouldn't have a bit more flexibility and DS wouldn't get so overstimulated. We'll just have to deal, I guess, but it's disappointing.
I have been to WDW twice in the middle of July. Is that when you are going? I remember thinking that it seemed quieter that time of year than it was in May. That was 2015 and 2017.

MySmallWorldof4

See, this is what makes me wonder. I'm guessing that they weren't getting enough bookings...a lot of people decided to go to DLR instead where they could do SW in the Summer, since a lot of people can't really travel in the off season. They have to go in the Summer, and if you're going to make only one trip, and you have SW fans, it's logical they will choose California. So I'm thinking they offered the free dining at WDW because bookings were low...and I'm guessing that the free dining promotion didn't solve the problem. The only thing that would solve the problem is opening SWLand, because that's what people are waiting for. Obviously, it wasn't going to be complete, so...what to do....open a small portion to get people to book vacations as soon as possible. And, they probably also have it in the back of their heads that by opening in stages, people will have to make multiple trips to see it all. I think they are banking on people being unwilling to wait until all of it is open...they are hoping the die hard fans will want to be among the first to experience it (or to not understand how insanely busy it's going to be) so they won't want to wait. So then they will have to come back. Just my theory.
But if you remember back in 2016, Rivers of light was supposed to debut in....I want to say February...then they said Spring....then it was April, then it was June, then it was pushed back indefinitely and they put the Jungle Book projection show as an intirim show. ROL didn't end up opening until 2017, a full year after the announced date, and that was for one attraction/show that didn't already have a following. They have a habit of being late. So if they weren't going to make the fall deadline for SW, and people are putting off trips until it opens, they HAD to get people to book trips NOW. Pretty much their only option is to open part of it so they can say "See? We opened it early!" and get bookings so they have some breathing room for the construction of the rest of the land. It saves their image and gets the cash flowing again.

As for a 1/2 day park, I totally get why people say that. I'd be happy to skip it altogether other than the jedi training for DS, and eating at Prime Time. We had to get there at rope drop to sign DS for jedi training, and we had to stay late to see Fantasmic, but there was nothing really in between that we HAD to do, except the Frozen Sing-along. We had to stay for DS to do the jedi training in the afternoon, and we had ADRs for lunch and Dinner. If it weren't for the Jedi Training being the only thing DS is excited about, I would just skip it and have more time at Epcot and MK or our resort. Even TSL isn't a draw for me. The movies are meh for me and I don't think the kids have ever even seen 2 and 3. So I guess for me, it's not even a 1/2 day park. But that's the cool thing about Disney....something for everyone. I hope you get to see everything on your September trip! If you aren't planning to visit SWL, you might want to consider rope dropping HS. SW isn't going to have fastpasses, at least initially, so everyone will be rushing in at Rope drop, which means they WON'T be rushing TSL...you will have a better chance of seeing those things at rope drop while everyone else runs to SW.
Your speculation on why they are opening only part of SWL seems spot on. They must be behind on a lot of it and probably cannot make the deadline for the whole thing. I thought it was weird they were offering free dining for the summer as well. That offer is go e now. I guess the booking window for it ended. They are offering up to 40% off rooms for passholders, which having been a passholder a few years, haven’t seen in many years. Last year the highest I remember seeing was 25%. I was starting to think AP’s were not worth it. Ours have expired and if we purchase it would just be for one to get the benefits. Not sure we will do that though. If we really like Uni, we may spend less days at Disney and combine trips. We will see.

MySmallWorldof4

At least what is falling now, won't be around long. Now if we could only get rid of all the ice mounds.
The piles of snow in the parking lots here has to be over 10 feet high. We still have at least 4 inches of snow covering the ground. Our front steps don’t get much sun as that side of the house faces the northeast. They still have some icy bits even though they were shoveled. I still hear ice in the windshield wiper well area of the car when I make turns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom