• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

btw, yesterday I put an SAT registration question on a Chit Chat forum independent thread. Approx. 18 hours later I've had no responders.
Not every thread you make is going to get an answer. Either they aren't seen because of how many posts & replies are made or people just dont have an answer for it. That's how forums work.

Yeah, there are a lot of really interesting people. My uncle (mom's brother) served in WWII in the battle of the bulge. Somewhere along the line, we THINK at the bulge, he was shot, but he survived. We don't really know for sure where he was or anything because he never talked about the war at all. And he came home with PTSD and his doctor told my grandmother to get him a dog...dogs were good for calming and the care of another living thing gave them something to focus on. He always always had a dog after that. He wasn't "interesting" as far as doing great things when he got home, but just that he survived...what he saw and lived through....and he was always kind.
My grandfather was at the Battle of the Bulge as well, he too got shot there. He had shrapnel in his neck for the rest of his life, it was lodged in a spot so close to the vertebrae & nerves that they feared if they tried to get it out he would be paralyzed. So he went in regularly for checkups on it to make sure it wasn't shifting, if it was they would've attempted but it never shifted.

He too never really talked about his service. I had to do a report on WWII my sophomore year of high school so I tried to interview him. All he did was tell me about the shrapnel (which I already knew) and listed a couple battles, then he handed me some sort of book that was about his regiment (or platoon or whatever they call it in the Army) and his discharge papers. I wish he would have actually told me more but he didn't. I don't know what happened to that book, I gave it back to him, but I have a copy of his discharge papers.

Overall, he wasn't a warm fuzzy grandfather. He didn't have much interest in me or my sister. However, his brother had been taken captive by the Japanese in WWII and actually was tortured by them, he had his fingernails pried off and part of his thumb chopped off. He was the nicest guy and really caring towards people and he would talk about his experiences I guess (I don't remember much unfortunately). My grandfather actually had 4 brothers that all served in WWII, so a total of 5 sons. He and the brother I mentioned were the only ones injured, so all came back alive. Kind of a miracle really. But it is weird to think of how their experiences might have impacted them so much and in different ways.

Those of you getting bad weather stay safe! Cuddle up at home and have some hot cocoa (if you like) and watch some movies! :)

By us it is a gray day, but the temp is somewhat mild. It is so strange though to look outside in the middle of January and see only scant traces of old snow and ice and bare ground. I'm sure we will get our fair share in the future but I can't remember any year of my life it being almost mid-January without snow cover. To be honest it makes me happy and sad all at the same time. My co-worker is convinced that she and I have jinxed the weather because we both bought sets of snowshoes to use this winter!:joyfull:

The white carp should start flying here, any minute now. Luckily, DS's competition is just a few towns over. I need stronger than industrial strength blowers to move that carp to @MinnieM123 and @Mr Ferret 88 .
We’re up to about 5” here in Indy. I can’t complain, it’s a lot less than we used to get in Wisconsin...

Just 2-4 for me hopefully. Wonder how @21stamps and @dryerlintfan are. Heard Ohio is getting hit bad.
Yes, I drove an average of 15mph on the side streets today.. drove 40mph on the highway when coming in to work.

T’s basketball games were cancelled due to the weather. I’m not sure if basketball and soccer will get cancelled tomorrow as well.. haven’t heard anything yet.
He’s sled riding right now with his cousins, so T’s loving the snow!

@MouseDreaming T’s school also has outdoor recess unless temps are below zero. They just bundle up. The girls are allowed to wear leggings under their uniform skirts (in the winter)..but I still feel bad for them.

Yes, I drove an average of 15mph on the side streets today.. drove 40mph on the highway when coming in to work.

T’s basketball games were cancelled due to the weather. I’m not sure if basketball and soccer will get cancelled tomorrow as well.. haven’t heard anything yet.
He’s sled riding right now with his cousins, so T’s loving the snow!

@MouseDreaming T’s school also has outdoor recess unless temps are below zero. They just bundle up. The girls are allowed to wear leggings under their uniform skirts (in the winter)..but I still feel bad for them.
Have a safe drive home.

Today is one day closer to spring. It's practically mid. January already! Each day we experience the sun sets later than the day before.:cool:
I'm just overflowing with positive thoughts today :D
btw, yesterday I put an SAT registration question on a Chit Chat forum independent thread. Approx. 18 hours later I've had no responders.
My dd will be taking the ACT. What was your question?

Top Bottom