The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Me too....I miss her so much. I've thought about writing to her daughter, but I don't want to intrude or seem stalkerish. Betty's husband't obituary is online and it mentions their daughter's name, and I remember Betty saying her daughter ran a Disney fan website, so I'm sure we could find her, but I don't know if she'd want to hear from us.
It is just so strange how she and moxo just dropped out. Even if she couldn’t get a computer hooked up, she had a cell phone and could have used that. We can only pray that she is fine, that they are fine, and their lives have just taken another path.

MySmallWorldof4

Although I don't have any kids, I can appreciate your concern. I'm sure it's entirely different when you're actually a parent. Part of what I wonder is if it's worse now than years ago, when I walked to school starting at the age of 5, and up through grade school. (High school was much father away, and took a school bus to that.) With so much access to instant news now, we hear more stories involving kids. So, I've wondered if it was any safer back when I was a kid, or if (more or less) the same amount of incidents happened (but we didn't hear about all of them on TV or radio, for example) when we were growing up.

(Side note: we used to just "free range" all over the town, when we went out to play! Sometimes I hung out with one of my brothers, and we covered miles in our adventures--at least we thought they were big adventures! :p)
I have wondered the same thing myself. I will say that when we grew up there were mental institutions that housed those with mental disabilities. We no longer have those institutions, and those that require medication do not always take it. Not that I approve of what some of those facilities were rumored to have done, but I am just commenting that they are no longer.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Oh my!
Out like a light in 15 seconds, and then off to la la land again within 10 mins. after middle-of-the-night weeweeville, I can only imagine...somehow, I’m older than you are...!!!!!!! :hilarious:;):)
Sometimes quicker then that. I have been known to not remember my head even touching the pillow. In the all things must come to an end column... lately, due to some new medication, the after weeweeville situation results in my not getting to sleep within that allotted 10 minutes and my giving up and hitting the computer for about an hour or so and then I can go back to sleep right away again.

Goofyernmost

Me too....I miss her so much. I've thought about writing to her daughter, but I don't want to intrude or seem stalkerish. Betty's husband't obituary is online and it mentions their daughter's name, and I remember Betty saying her daughter ran a Disney fan website, so I'm sure we could find her, but I don't know if she'd want to hear from us.
I understand some degree of trepidation, however, since you are inquiring about a friend that no longer is in contact and concerned about possible health situations, I don't see that as being intrusive. If something has happened, it isn't out of line to politely ask. Her daughter might not have known about her being on this board since as I recall, she did share some stuff about her daughter and she might not have wanted her daughter to know she was sharing. Worth a try, at least. The worst case scenario, she won't reply. Asking once, is not stalking, it is showing concern.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Today is one day closer to spring. It's practically mid. January already! Each day we experience the sun sets later than the day before.:cool:
I'm just overflowing with positive thoughts today :D
btw, yesterday I put an SAT registration question on a Chit Chat forum independent thread. Approx. 18 hours later I've had no responders.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yeah, there are a lot of really interesting people. My uncle (mom's brother) served in WWII in the battle of the bulge. Somewhere along the line, we THINK at the bulge, he was shot, but he survived. We don't really know for sure where he was or anything because he never talked about the war at all. And he came home with PTSD and his doctor told my grandmother to get him a dog...dogs were good for calming and the care of another living thing gave them something to focus on. He always always had a dog after that. He wasn't "interesting" as far as doing great things when he got home, but just that he survived...what he saw and lived through....and he was always kind.

My grandfather was at the Battle of the Bulge as well, he too got shot there. He had shrapnel in his neck for the rest of his life, it was lodged in a spot so close to the vertebrae & nerves that they feared if they tried to get it out he would be paralyzed. So he went in regularly for checkups on it to make sure it wasn't shifting, if it was they would've attempted but it never shifted.

He too never really talked about his service. I had to do a report on WWII my sophomore year of high school so I tried to interview him. All he did was tell me about the shrapnel (which I already knew) and listed a couple battles, then he handed me some sort of book that was about his regiment (or platoon or whatever they call it in the Army) and his discharge papers. I wish he would have actually told me more but he didn't. I don't know what happened to that book, I gave it back to him, but I have a copy of his discharge papers.

Overall, he wasn't a warm fuzzy grandfather. He didn't have much interest in me or my sister. However, his brother had been taken captive by the Japanese in WWII and actually was tortured by them, he had his fingernails pried off and part of his thumb chopped off. He was the nicest guy and really caring towards people and he would talk about his experiences I guess (I don't remember much unfortunately). My grandfather actually had 4 brothers that all served in WWII, so a total of 5 sons. He and the brother I mentioned were the only ones injured, so all came back alive. Kind of a miracle really. But it is weird to think of how their experiences might have impacted them so much and in different ways.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Those of you getting bad weather stay safe! Cuddle up at home and have some hot cocoa (if you like) and watch some movies! :)

By us it is a gray day, but the temp is somewhat mild. It is so strange though to look outside in the middle of January and see only scant traces of old snow and ice and bare ground. I'm sure we will get our fair share in the future but I can't remember any year of my life it being almost mid-January without snow cover. To be honest it makes me happy and sad all at the same time. My co-worker is convinced that she and I have jinxed the weather because we both bought sets of snowshoes to use this winter!:joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom