The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Good idea. While it is important to learn how to be a good loser, it can be frustrating and bring on bad behavior if it happens all the time.
This reminds me of the movie The Whole Nine Yards. Sometimes you need a win to get your head back in the game.

I’m sure you ladies remember my frustration with our school soccer coach a little over a year ago.. and why I decided to let T go to a club. I didn’t want to turn into her.. I don’t want to frustrate my team and parents in the same way!

That said, I’ve wanted to give as much playing time as possible to a few boys.. 1 has never played soccer at all, period, and his parents bought him shoes, shin guards, a ball, plus the jersey and player fees for just these 8 games (he’s not playing next session because he has a main part in the school play, they have a lot of practices).. I have 2 other boys who are very similar to him, maybe played one season of outdoor, and then I have some who play at school, but don’t really understand the game.
Then I have 2 boys who are really good, 2 who are decent, and a few who are mediocre. There’s not enough talent to cover our deficiencies, and we have tried to keep T and L (our two best) in at different times to help cover/make plays but give everyone else playing time.

Last night we started T and L together, and the other boys who have a grasp on the game. They scored right off the bat, and the boys sitting out were cheering for them.
T & L played all but maybe 7 minutes of the game. I hate that because they’re both the coaches kids.. but it really did make a difference, and we rotated the other players in and out.
Here’s what happened- it motivated the kids!! Every single one of them played so hard.. and I think having 2 anchors really did help them.

We got lucky last night because we were the first game, I asked everyone to be there 40 minutes early so I could warm up and talk with them. We did drills.. I explained the plays, where they need to be on the field, and even took outy dry erase board to draw for them. That helped as well.

In the end we lost 6-2. It was the same team we lost to on Sunday, 13-0. I’d say 6-2 is a definite improvement, and I was proud of every one of them. They were all happy after the game, even with the loss.. and the parents were happy as well.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I’m sure you ladies remember my frustration with our school soccer coach a little over a year ago.. and why I decided to let T go to a club. I didn’t want to turn into her.. I don’t want to frustrate my team and parents in the same way!

That said, I’ve wanted to give as much playing time as possible to a few boys.. 1 has never played soccer at all, period, and his parents bought him shoes, shin guards, a ball, plus the jersey and player fees for just these 8 games (he’s not playing next session because he has a main part in the school play, they have a lot of practices).. I have 2 other boys who are very similar to him, maybe played one season of outdoor, and then I have some who play at school, but don’t really understand the game.
Then I have 2 boys who are really good, 2 who are decent, and a few who are mediocre. There’s not enough talent to cover our deficiencies, and we have tried to keep T and L (our two best) in at different times to help cover/make plays but give everyone else playing time.

Last night we started T and L together, and the other boys who have a grasp on the game. They scored right off the bat, and the boys sitting out were cheering for them.
T & L played all but maybe 7 minutes of the game. I hate that because they’re both the coaches kids.. but it really did make a difference, and we rotated the other players in and out.
Here’s what happened- it motivated the kids!! Every single one of them played so hard.. and I think having 2 anchors really did help them.

We got lucky last night because we were the first game, I asked everyone to be there 40 minutes early so I could warm up and talk with them. We did drills.. I explained the plays, where they need to be on the field, and even took outy dry erase board to draw for them. That helped as well.

In the end we lost 6-2. It was the same team we lost to on Sunday, 13-0. I’d say 6-2 is a definite improvement, and I was proud of every one of them. They were all happy after the game, even with the loss.. and the parents were happy as well.

Just food for thought here.... the only sport I really watch is hockey, so bear with me,.... but in football there's a quarterback. In hockey there's a captain. Every team needs an anchor. It's a thing in pro sports, and it's okay to make it a thing in kid sports.

21stamps

Just food for thought here.... the only sport I really watch is hockey, so bear with me,.... but in football there's a quarterback. In hockey there's a captain. Every team needs an anchor. It's a thing in pro sports, and it's okay to make it a thing in kid sports.
You’re right.
I know, I just don’t want to be that ParentCoach who’s kid gets the most playing time, along with the other ParentCoach’s kid. We’ve really tried to avoid that.. especially because it’s an indoor league without post season tournaments/league trophies ... but from talking to the parents yesterday, I don’t think they would be upset by it. We’re going to do that moving forward.

We only have 2 games left this session, 2 boys aren’t returning next session due to other conflicts, I’ve added one more but not going to replace the other.. this will allow for more playing time for everyone while we play T and L more, those two need to be on the field at the same time.. rotating one each in offense or midfield, and defense. It moved the ball so much better. To their credit, and T’s attitude adjustment, they helped motivate and direct some kids, without being nasty about it., just teamwork.

The boy who’s never played had a great game last night., T went up to him afterwards and said “Wow, you were on fire! Great game!”.. and then said to me in the car “Mom, I can’t believe how well J played, it was incredible.” Moments like that, when a player suddenly shines, that makes these 4 consecutive losses much easier to swallow.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
You’re right.
I know, I just don’t want to be that ParentCoach who’s kid gets the most playing time, along with the other ParentCoach’s kid. We’ve really tried to avoid that.. especially because it’s an indoor league without post season tournaments/league trophies ... but from talking to the parents yesterday, I don’t think they would be upset by it. We’re going to do that moving forward.

We only have 2 games left this session, 2 boys aren’t returning next session due to other conflicts, I’ve added one more but not going to replace the other.. this will allow for more playing time for everyone while we play T and L more.

Roll with it for the next two games and go easy on yourself. Who knows, maybe the next session will bring a kid who isn't T and will make a great anchor as well. Just be sure that if you pull T from being the anchor, it's because the other kid is better/more skilled and not because you feel guilty having the coaches son be anchor. That wouldn't send a good message to T or the others if they were not. Skill based play promotes skill strengthening.

21stamps

Roll with it for the next two games and go easy on yourself. Who knows, maybe the next session will bring a kid who isn't T and will make a great anchor as well. Just be sure that if you pull T from being the anchor, it's because the other kid is better/more skilled and not because you feel guilty having the coaches son be anchor. That wouldn't send a good message to T or the others if they were not. Skill based play promotes skill strengthening.

Thanks so much for the advise. We finished in 2nd place last year (but we didn’t play up a year that session), we were 2nd or 3rd this year after our first 3 games, but in 4th going in to last night, not sure if we dropped or not., there’s no way we’ll finish in the top 3, which is ok, but if I don’t start winning games then no one will want to play for me next year anyway. I don’t want to become the Marvin Lewis of T’s school. 🤣
I’ll be happy if we finish 4th-5th, just not 6th-8th ;)

21stamps

Echo dot down to under $30

3rd gen?!

I bought two Echos and an echo dot 3rd gen for my parents for Christmas... along with smart lightbulbs, two outlets.. and a smart doorbell. I’ve considered exchanging one if the Echos fo the echo with a screen ( I forget the name).. I could do that and exchange the dot, probably come out the same with the savings.

Last edited:

21stamps

Speaking of Amazon. Does anyone have tips on the Echo? Is set up easy?

Obviously I don’t have one, I ordered as gifts and assume my mom will have to set up an Amazon account. Is Prime a requirement with the Echo?
If so, can I give her an Amazon gift card to cover 2 years or something? I didn’t even think about that until just now. I can’t really give a gift that requires a subscription from the receiver. I’ll have to google that I guess.

Ugh, why did I bend my ethics on Amazon.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
3rd gen?!

I bought two Echos and an echo dot 3rd gen for my parents for Christmas... along with smart lightbulbs, two outlets.. and a smart doorbell. I’ve considered exchanging one if the Echos fo the echo with a screen ( I forget the name).. I could do that and exchange the dot, probably come out the same with the savings.

I love the one with the screen. I currently have mine in the gym but I'm going to move it to my bedroom so my kiddo can watch movies on the weekend mornings while I attempt to get more rest, LOL

StarWarsGirl

Not true in all cases. My dad got married young with my mom played a positive influence on him.

Out of anything, he's more mature now than he first met my mom before dating. What happened was my dad was only 18 or 19 at the time. Not everyone completely matures at same time.

What my mom got is faithful, caring, and loving husband.
My parents had the opposite problem. My mom was 19 and my dad was 25 when they married. There's a lot she says she would have done differently if she had been older. Her mother was a witch, and she tried to hard to be the opposite of her mother when she was younger.

Of course, they've been married for 33 years now, but my dad has some very bad habits that he did not have while dating my mom, and my mom didn't know enough to call him on it. He was way more affectionate while they were dating as well. He is not affectionate at all now except when my mom makes him be. He doesn't even hug me or my brother. And then suddenly bodily noises became not only acceptable, but hilarious, according to my dad and my brother. Which is when my mother and I are both like, "How old are you?" :hilarious:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Obviously I don’t have one, I ordered as gifts and assume my mom will have to set up an Amazon account. Is Prime a requirement with the Echo?
If so, can I give her an Amazon gift card to cover 2 years or something? I didn’t even think about that until just now. I can’t really give a gift that requires a subscription from the receiver. I’ll have to google that I guess.

They are ridiculously easy to set up. If she wants to play music she'll need a music service. I use Amazon Music, and it's pretty inexpensive... like $4 a month or something.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
My parents had the opposite problem. My mom was 19 and my dad was 25 when they married. There's a lot she says she would have done differently if she had been older. Her mother was a witch, and she tried to hard to be the opposite of her mother when she was younger.

Of course, they've been married for 33 years now, but my dad has some very bad habits that he did not have while dating my mom, and my mom didn't know enough to call him on it. He was way more affectionate while they were dating as well. He is not affectionate at all now except when my mom makes him be. He doesn't even hug me or my brother. And then suddenly bodily noises became not only acceptable, but hilarious, according to my dad and my brother. Which is when my mother and I are both like, "How old are you?" :hilarious:

The hard reality is that you just never know. People are grab bags. Even if someone fits you perfectly now, that's not to say they'll fit you perfectly in a year, or five years, or twenty. The best we can all do is be the best version of ourselves. Relationships are not 50/50, they're 100/100. And as long as we're willing to give ourselves to the relationship and our partner is too, and we're both putting in at least 70/70, it's going to work out.

People are never exactly who you think they are because we look at them with so much personal bias.

Rista1313

The hard reality is that you just never know. People are grab bags. Even if someone fits you perfectly now, that's not to say they'll fit you perfectly in a year, or five years, or twenty. The best we can all do is be the best version of ourselves. Relationships are not 50/50, they're 100/100. And as long as we're willing to give ourselves to the relationship and our partner is too, and we're both putting in at least 70/70, it's going to work out.

People are never exactly who you think they are because we look at them with so much personal bias.

I think it's mostly because people grow and change as we grow older... I know I'm not the clingy girlfriend/wife I was when I was young and in my first marriage.

StarWarsGirl

I don't think it requires a Prime subscription. That's only for if you order from Amazon via Alexa. She will need an Amazon account to complete the set up (it essentially serves as a hub for smart devices). I can't imagine it's super hard.

StarWarsGirl

That's why I'm hesitant about getting married...ever. I know people my age who dated their SO for a year, and then got married. I'm like... you're stuck with this person for the rest of your life. Did ya really get to know them all that well? I couldn't do that. I need more time to really get to know the person. I'd rather be alone than be with the wrong person.

Since I don't want kids and don't have to worry about the clock ticking biologically, I'd rather take my time and really get to know the person so there are fewer surprises if I were to marry

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That's why I'm hesitant about getting married...ever. I know people my age who dated their SO for a year, and then got married. I'm like... you're stuck with this person for the rest of your life. Did ya really get to know them all that well? I couldn't do that. I need more time to really get to know the person. I'd rather be alone than be with the wrong person.

Since I don't want kids and don't have to worry about the clock ticking biologically, I'd rather take my time and really get to know the person so there are fewer surprises if I were to marry

It's good to take your time and get to know someone, but don't forget to think with your heart too. People can hurt you in relationships, but there's so much growth there. There's so much adventure. There's so much looking back at a bittersweet memory and thinking.... it didn't work out, but I'm so glad I tried, or I never would have done this thing that shaped who I am as a person.

Be wise, and you are wise. But also sometimes be impulsive and "go with your gut"

donaldtoo

Son of Flubber . . . classic :hilarious:

Indeed...!!! :)

the-absent-minded-professor-original.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom