The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MouseDreaming

Just wondering--could all the parents of these girls get a petition together, to present to the school principal or superintendent? I know you're more concerned about the safety, versus the practice time they need, so I figure the other parents must be feeling the same way. It's too bad they can't practice outside, although not while there is snow on the ground.
Already been done and the short story is district referred it back to admin. Their position is they researched it and it is safe. Case closed. Move on. We have also done research. The people who sold the flooring were shocked when they heard how it was being used. Doctors notes, comments. Sadly, I don't think they are interested in changing anything until someone is seriously injured and there is a lawsuit.

MouseDreaming

Just wondering--could all the parents of these girls get a petition together, to present to the school principal or superintendent? I know you're more concerned about the safety, versus the practice time they need, so I figure the other parents must be feeling the same way. It's too bad they can't practice outside, although not while there is snow on the ground.
This is not an outside sport. They really need barres, mirrors, a proper shock absorbing floor at the least.

I think the performance they put in this past weekend was amazing, given the fact they need someone to watch and give them corrections. They can't see for themselves what is going on. DD went to the first comp with no tape of her doing the dances. The coaches do not have comp dance experience, either. So they don't really know much about technique. This is so frustrating to me, but my daughter wants to dance. I just sake my head at this point.

Goofyernmost

My brother is in Davidson County, so I'm assuming his area may have been hit harder than yours. He wouldn't be one to tell me though. If he lost power, he'd just wait it out for days, until it came back on. (It's that old, tough, ex-Marine thing .. . ;) )
In all fairness, what good would it do to say anything about it. Are you going to bring him a big ole box of Eveready batteries? I don't remember where you said he lived, but, Davidson County is about 70 miles west of here and there is a good chance of power outages. From what the news said that area got hit pretty hard. The west of us are still cleaning up from Florence and Matthew.

donaldtoo

Today is mine and DWifeys 30th wedding anniversary...!!!!!!! :joyfull: :inlove: :happy:

We went to a local hibachi/teppanyaki place with the kiddos to celebrate tonight...great food and another great time...!!! :happy: :)

30CE08CB-8BE8-4677-B38E-A3A29BC5E1F3.jpeg

DS and the rest...!

F808662E-590F-4092-9CCE-CCA60A81210E.jpeg
350DEBE6-2833-4393-A3BB-76A06E2C39D0.jpeg

Our chef...!

DD76D74E-CE4B-4053-893C-A1EE97B1221C.jpeg

DS modeled my beer...!!!!! :hilarious:

41302D64-4884-4B17-8223-5AB0D44B2420.jpeg

Soup..!!! :hungry:

A0AE8893-0242-41E7-B995-D9C4EE1D1D30.jpeg

The requisite “volcano”...!!! ;)

37911130-CD2E-4E01-8E9A-ADA9BAF2C681.jpeg
0055CCF8-A8A7-44DC-8310-7E6D3AB13A7F.jpeg

Cookin’ it up...!!! :hungry:

A4B9C59A-D8C6-4CE8-AD8A-DEB373C91891.jpeg

My shrimp and scallops...!!!!! :hungry: :)

BF36CD21-CB06-4F42-A56E-70304AEB5577.jpeg

MySmallWorldof4

You'll be amazed re. what I'm about to share.
My wife was in the bed that would be wheeled into the operating room. She'd gone through all the million questions, changed to the hospital gown, given the urine sample, had the I V drip in her arm.....ready to go.....then the head surgical nurse approached us and says that the surgeon is unable to make it. He is not present in the hospital!
He, the surgeon....will HIMSELF be operated on sometime in the future.....and HE..the SURGEON was at an appointment FOR HIMSELF at a location 20 miles north of the hospital my wife and I were in. HIS appointment to see his surgeon for a consult for himself was at 10:30am. THAT surgeon was running behind schedule. My wife's surgeon chose to stay there and be seen by his surgeon rather than reschedule for his personal visit and come down south 20 miles and perform my wife's surgery.
We were in such shock that we did not ask about that. It would seem logical that if they don't want us to sue them, they will not bill us for something their surgeon did wrong.
The surgeon called my wife's cell moments ago and said that he was at his cardiologist and the cardiologist got backed up.
The surgery is rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon.
Wow, that is shocking. I understand doctors need to see doctors too, but his appointment should have been scheduled on a not surgery day.

MySmallWorldof4

Our drama and the injuries go together. Our practice space is terribly inadequate. Admin thinks the girls are fine dancing on the concrete cafeteria floor with a very thin practice floor over it. It offers no shock absorption. 2 of 3 captains out with knee injuries, quite a few who didn't go out for competitive dance because of this. 13 made the team. 11 are dancing. This is very small for a team. No alternates this year, either.

And DD is home early, because they have no practice space today. I don't know how that even happens.

This is all just the tip of the iceberg.
Sympathy like. Why aren’t they offered gym space?

MySmallWorldof4

Don't think much of the Admin. people who think it's fine for the kids to dance on a concrete floor (with just a thin practice floor over it). That's one way to injure joints. And then for your DD to be sent home early, because there was no practice space today? I'd love to know what other sport took their practice space? Not knowing all the details here, my "impression" is that the dance activity is not being taken seriously at all by the school admin. people.
I second this.

MySmallWorldof4

That is just it. Even though every district around us, and the state classify it as a sport, in our district it is a club. Hopefully, this will change with the new teacher contracts that are being negotiated.

I also suspect that they are thinking of old Pom team spirit squads, that did a kick line, a Pom pass, not much else. So different now. Handsprings, aerials. By the way, my DD is pretty sure she thinks she can do it. (For those who don't know, it is a no hand cartwheel). I have already told her, I prefer her to not do it in the cafeteria. Bad enough if you wipe out on a gym floor.
Yep, they do not see it as a sport. Way more acrobatics on dance teams now. Youngest was talking about doing aerials in the car the other day. She can do a one handed cartwheel now. She is working on getting her back handspring and round off back handspring. She can do them on the tumble trak, but not the floor yet. In any case the athleticism of girls on the dance teams and cheer teams aren’t taken seriously. If you watch a competitikn now, stuff these kids do is amazing.

MySmallWorldof4

Right? If the kids get hurt because of unsafe conditions, isn’t the school accountable?

MySmallWorldof4

This is not an outside sport. They really need barres, mirrors, a proper shock absorbing floor at the least.

I think the performance they put in this past weekend was amazing, given the fact they need someone to watch and give them corrections. They can't see for themselves what is going on. DD went to the first comp with no tape of her doing the dances. The coaches do not have comp dance experience, either. So they don't really know much about technique. This is so frustrating to me, but my daughter wants to dance. I just sake my head at this point.
Is there a team in a local dance school? Or is that too catty and expensive?

MySmallWorldof4

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Already been done and the short story is district referred it back to admin. Their position is they researched it and it is safe. Case closed. Move on. We have also done research. The people who sold the flooring were shocked when they heard how it was being used. Doctors notes, comments. Sadly, I don't think they are interested in changing anything until someone is seriously injured and there is a lawsuit.

That's terrible.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
In all fairness, what good would it do to say anything about it. Are you going to bring him a big ole box of Eveready batteries? I don't remember where you said he lived, but, Davidson County is about 70 miles west of here and there is a good chance of power outages. From what the news said that area got hit pretty hard. The west of us are still cleaning up from Florence and Matthew.

Oh, I know, and that's why I don't ask him. But, it's more that he's not the talkative type to begin with, so I give him space. He likes to work out things on his own.

By the way, he wasn't affected by Florence of Matthew previously, but I'm sure his area got some ice damage the past few days, with this most recent storm.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Today is mine and DWifeys 30th wedding anniversary...!!!!!!! :joyfull::inlove::happy:

We went to a local hibachi/teppanyaki place with the kiddos to celebrate tonight...great food and another great time...!!! :happy::)

View attachment 332605

DS and the rest...!

View attachment 332607
View attachment 332606

Our chef...!

View attachment 332611

DS modeled my beer...!!!!! :hilarious:

View attachment 332609

Soup..!!! :hungry:

View attachment 332610

The requisite “volcano”...!!! ;)

View attachment 332613
View attachment 332612

Cookin’ it up...!!! :hungry:

View attachment 332614

My shrimp and scallops...!!!!! :hungry::)

View attachment 332615

Yum-o-rama!!! And congratulations to you and dwifey on your anniversary! So nice that the family could join in on the party! :happy:

P.S.: Emy stole the show, as usual -- so cute!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom