The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Even my RCA cube television that cost more than double with only a few channels in 1984 when I purchased the TV, it was manufactured in MEXICO without shipping costs over an ocean.
1984 was pre-NAFTA.
There were very few producers of TVs back then.
They had no competition from Japanese or Chinese.

The computer tech firms just followed the norm of what already established. Prices on computers were dropping even before the majority were manufactured elsewhere.
Again, go to any computer site and you still still find high end machines costing 3000+ USD.

The only difference is VARIETY now that the manufacturing power and automation allows for more than a few models.

Companies that had like 3-4 models now have like 40-100 to cater to all the population segments.
HP back then only had like 6 models and they were all for business. Home systems costed a lot and at most were 1 or 2 models.
Now you have 10+ models with 5-6 variants each one.

Dell for example.. still has 3000+ prices for their top of the line business laptops and computers.
The cheap labor move to manufacture outside the USA came after the boom in purchases and the substantial decrease in price for same prior to these modern electronic pieces being manufactured elsewhere.
There is a reason the wages have became stagnant too and the maximization of value (aka testing constantly what the max $$$ people would pay for products).
The rise of Wall street as the only metering for a company's value.

StarWarsGirl

By the way, I found Ralph Breaks the Internet absolutely hysterical. I think it's more of a movie geared towards adults that kids can also enjoy. There were parts that I was cracking up over, and the kid next to me kept looking at me like I'd lost my mind. Although this is still the funniest moment between the two films...the princess scene being a close second.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
1984 was pre-NAFTA.
There were very few producers of TVs back then.
They had no competition from Japanese or Chinese.

Again, go to any computer site and you still still find high end machines costing 3000+ USD.

The only difference is VARIETY now that the manufacturing power and automation allows for more than a few models.

Companies that had like 3-4 models now have like 40-100 to cater to all the population segments.
HP back then only had like 6 models and they were all for business. Home systems costed a lot and at most were 1 or 2 models.
Now you have 10+ models with 5-6 variants each one.

Dell for example.. still has 3000+ prices for their top of the line business laptops and computers.

There is a reason the wages have became stagnant too and the maximization of value (aka testing constantly what the max $$$ people would pay for products).
The rise of Wall street as the only metering for a company's value.

:)
Yeah in order to respond to a few of these specific topics you brought up which kinda leans into a Political discussion (NAFT and Stagnant Wages are hot button talking point issues in the states) Best time to end a discussion before anyone wades into that swamp.

:inlove:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have a love hate relationship with Thanksgiving. I love the prep, cooking, time with family and doing the last of the Christmas shopping:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:. I hate the exhaustion and migraine that always seems to follow:banghead: I fell asleep with a blanket over my head with Frozen on very low. Just waiting for round 2 of Tylenol to kick in

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl , what fun things are you doing at DL today? :)

We went to Disneyland and played for the last day. Until 7 then we had to leave. We left for the airport 4 hours early because we heard that LAX was going to get slammed today. And we have had previous experience with Lax traffic. It took about an hour to get within about 2 miles to the airport then basically a dead stop for 30 minutes. Then we decided to walk the mile and a half with a bunch of other people along part of the freeway and road. Once we were through security we had about an hour and 45 before our flight! Currently we are waiting at the gate waiting to board soon (it’s about 10:45 pm here). I’m sure glad we left early!

Cesar R M

By the way, I found Ralph Breaks the Internet absolutely hysterical. I think it's more of a movie geared towards adults that kids can also enjoy. There were parts that I was cracking up over, and the kid next to me kept looking at me like I'd lost my mind. Although this is still the funniest moment between the two films...the princess scene being a close second.

did you watch the after credits? the trolling was immense XD

I still dont think anyone can beat Macy's parade by Cartoon Network during the Foster's home for imaginary friends segment.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We went to Disneyland and played for the last day. Until 7 then we had to leave. We left for the airport 4 hours early because we heard that LAX was going to get slammed today. And we have had previous experience with Lax traffic. It took about an hour to get within about 2 miles to the airport then basically a dead stop for 30 minutes. Then we decided to walk the mile and a half with a bunch of other people along part of the freeway and road. Once we were through security we had about an hour and 45 before our flight! Currently we are waiting at the gate waiting to board soon (it’s about 10:45 pm here). I’m sure glad we left early!
Sympathy like and safe travels

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have an artificial Christmas tree that I can take out at any time.

I've been helping my dad with decorations inside and outside. The outdoor decorations are done. He needed help for the outdoor due to the amount outside in terms of making it quicker.

My dad stores his indoor decorations in cubbyhole upstairs in their house, but he can't get inside cubbyhole due to his bad knees. The only way to go inside cubbyhole is by kneeling on wooden floors.

My dad for indoor decorations has stuff that you need a step stool for. It more than the tree for the step stool. Snow flakes on the Styrofoam ceiling by putting ornament hook on ribbon. The ribbon itself gets attached to the snow flakes. The dinning room and the kitchen is where the step stool is needed too.

My mom can't take the boxes and bins out due to weight of them and she has a bad back even before I was born.

As the expression goes, "it takes a village"--:). You all contribute in different ways to getting the holiday decorations up!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Haven't been to a movie in years. I did hear on the news this morning, however, that this particular movie broke box office records over the weekend. There must be something good about it! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Yikes! Glad you planned to leave early to get to the airport. Can't believe they let people walk along the side of the freeway! :jawdrop:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom