The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

I swear my ex would have been able to burn water. He was terrible. Burned everything from hamburger helper and riceroni to potatoes. He just wasn't a cook. It's nice that my husband is completely competent in the kitchen. Though his mother must enjoy things burnt...probably good, because she is NOT so good in the kitchen. She doesn't follow instructions on anything, and she is always going around turning burners up or down. This weekend, we were at their house and they asked me to make Chicken-a-la-king, which is something they don't have in the Netherlands, but I made it once and they liked it. (except they won't eat it on bread, they use rice.) First she kept changing the settings I had on the burner and I had to keep turning them back down, and she keeps questioning how I am making it. Hello....it's MY recipe, you've never had any other version than MY recipe...I know more about how to make it than you do! So I had bread just for myself, because I prefer it on bread. She gets out the toaster and she sets it for how long she thinks it needs, and I pulled it out before it was even done and it was dark brown, almost burnt, and hard as a rock. I like my bread golden brown. I said "Whew....got it out just in time. It almost burned." and she looks at this dark brown bread and says "Oh....you call that almost burnt? I always do mine longer." And whenever I make any sort of thing in the oven....pizza, rolls, etc, I get them out when they are golden brown and she'll tell me they aren't done yet, they need a few minutes. And if SHE'S making them, you won't be able to bite into them. To each his own, but I prefer to make my own stuff at their house so I can have food that isn't burnt and that has flavor.
With them it's not just the burnt water but the half raw poultry:hungover::hungover::hungover:

StarWarsGirl

Sweet potatoes are a new like for me. I used to eat the terra chips and the sweet potatoes were my favorite in the group. I couldn't eat them any other way though. The thought of the mash with marshmallows is just gross to me. Anyway, I learned how healthy they were, and there are nutrients my body needs from them, so I started trying something different like a hash they serve at Satuli. It was really good. So, maybe it is the way that it is prepared that determines like. I hated brussels sprouts as a kid, but love them roasted with garlic.
Not for me. I have evidently hated sweet potatoes since my mom tried to feed them to me as a baby. I stuck my tongue out with the food still on it. I've tried it different ways, sweet potato fries, the marshmallow thingy, as a hash...nope. Last year at work, there was a chilli cook off, and there was this one chilli that everyone else loved, and I had an unexplained hatred of it...and then I looked. Someone put sweet potatoes in perfectly good chilli. You can imagine my horror. Doesn't matter how you prepare it for me; at the end of the day, it's still sweet potato.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Not for me. I have evidently hated sweet potatoes since my mom tried to feed them to me as a baby. I stuck my tongue out with the food still on it. I've tried it different ways, sweet potato fries, the marshmallow thingy, as a hash...nope. Last year at work, there was a chilli cook off, and there was this one chilli that everyone else loved, and I had an unexplained hatred of it...and then I looked. Someone put sweet potatoes in perfectly good chilli. You can imagine my horror. Doesn't matter how you prepare it for me; at the end of the day, it's still sweet potato.
How about yams? 🙂

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Nope. Still a sweet potato.
While they’re often marketed interchangeably (most likely because of a somewhat similar appearance), the truth is, yams and sweet potatoes are very different root vegetables.
According to Chef Marc Bauer, master chef at the International Culinary Center, a yam is characterized by dark and sometimes rough skin, though the flesh is whiter in shade and dry. “Yams require more oil, cream, or butter when cooked and are generally more starchy than the modern sweet potato,” Bauer says. They’re also grown all over the world. Roast them with other veggies for a delicious side dish, dice them up into a hearty yam stew, or, if you’ve got a sweet tooth, try a batch of candied yams coated in butter and brown sugar.
Sweet potatoes on the other hand, have a lighter skin, with tapered ends, and a light yellow to deep orange flesh. First introduced to the U.S. many decades ago, sweet potatoes have a naturally sweet taste (hence the name). As a result, you won’t have to add as much butter, oil, or cream in order to enjoy them, says Bauer. And when it comes to recipe ideas, the possibilities are endless: Try sweet potato fries, mashed sweet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, or loaded baked sweet potatoes (to name a few). 😄😄😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom