The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Thank you. Wow, what a jerk! I’m glad that all of this happened after I stopped shopping there.. I had no idea.

I honestly don’t remember anything special about their employees.. they were all kids... just like all of the similar storesAE, Hollister, etc..... but I don’t ever recall being in there and thinking “this is a beautiful staff, I want to look like them!”.
The stories of making them work out, are horrible! I wonder if that only happened in Europe? Shocking either way!!
It gets even worse. If your skin wasn't the right color you were excluded and they even made people dye their hair if it wasn't the right color. They have had a strange idea of beauty

21stamps

It gets even worse. If your skin wasn't the right color you were excluded and they even made people dye their hair if it wasn't the right color. They have had a strange idea of beauty
Omg.
I have no idea where I was while all this was happening. I’m really glad you guys brought it to my attention. No Abercrombie for T when he reaches their sizes!

I’m trying to rack my brain thinking back to the years when I did go there for myself, or presents for younger sister and niece and nephew... whatever the company was going for was not anything I noticed, which is obviously not what they were going for. Stupid and discriminatory for no reason at all.
I’m going to ask my sister if she knew about this. I know that there’s no way it could have been publicized when she shopped there, she wouldn’t have for sure. So crazy. So sad.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

This situation just plain stinks. I don't see why they need to make you move when you are perfectly happy with the apartment as is. Are they giving no one a choice? When dh and I first got married, we lived in a rental. It was actually a lovely little enclave with attached ranch style homes. They had started renovating some after we moved in but were only doing the renovations once a tenant had purposely moved out. That seems to be a much fairer way to treat tenants, especially those that have lived there a long time.
Here's the deal, the turn over here is huge. Mostly because they charge luxury prices for things that are well below luxury level. Since they started doing this upgrade, as it were, there are only 30 out of 148 that haven't been renovated. Up until now they also only did it after tenants moved out. Those that are left are retirees that moved in years ago because at the time they were charging the proper amount for what was offered. They are comfortable, clean and handy to most places in the area, but, hardly luxury.

So now what we have here are people that have been here long term, some in their 90's, that are not transient and had intended to stay. They labeled these places as "classic" that rented for less. Now if nothing is forced the remaining 30 will have to wait for us to die off and they just plain do not want to wait. In the very building I reside, there are three classic apartments left. One on the ground floor behind me, is occupied by a lady my age that is still working and the other is a young, robust, if not a little bit lazy, man that doesn't have a job, but, has rented 3 external garages that are filled to that max with stuff he gets at auctions and resells out of them. I almost never see him take anything out, so it is mystery where he gets the money to pay the rent for his apartment and 3 garages. The Garages are $65 per month each. This is no exaggeration, he has so much stuff, just thrown in there that they are constantly having to repair the doors because thing inside are falling forward and damaging the doors. However, his apartment is on the third floor so that is harder to lease. Both the lady and the man have told me that they just recently signed a years lease. They have singled me out, because, they seemed surprised when they found out that I was living on SS, was no longer able to work, but, not classified as disabled, apparently look younger then I am (I guess my mirrors are liars, because when I look into them I only see an old man). So of the three here, I drew the short straw. Instead of seeing the profitability of having a no problem, guaranteed tenant they are looking at the immediate cash increase if they can rent the apartment. In the meantime there must be at least 12 empty ones in the complex. Shortsighted, thy name is business. Just having me move will render the apartment empty for at least a month with a loss of the revenue of my rent payment until it is occupied again. I fail to see where that is a bonus, plus those of us that are left here would have been staying on and those that are currently coming in are just here until they find a home they can buy. Sort of a revolving door. Right now a "classic" is paying only $100.00 per month less then what an upgrade pays. Every time someone leaves, even if it is a new model, they have to go in and repaint and clean up, touch up. I fail to see the wisdom in doing what they are doing, but, I am old school, the old way of doing business no longer applies.

As for me, even if I wanted to stay I still have to move for them to upgrade the apartment because they are unwilling to attempt to do it with me still here. So, no choice, one way or the other I'm out. What I am trying to do presently is extend it for another year, so I don't have to be out until January 2020 with a proviso that they will wave any notice of moving penalty. They're the ones that want me to move, not me. This is going to cost me cash as well. And since none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, it might not matter in the long run. Sorry about the ramble, but, it has a lot of twists and turns.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Can I vent for a few seconds? I know that I have mentioned in the past, that I have trouble dealing with the phrase, "Thank you for your service" when random people find out that I am a Vietnam Veteran. I know that most people are sincerely trying to show an appreciation of what was a sacrifice, in some cases an extreme sacrifice and I should be appreciative. However in a effort to point out why, so many times it just seems like empty words, let me say something about an experience I had just this week.

I believe that I have spoken about the housing situation that I am currently having to deal with. For those that don't... I have been told that I will have to move out of my apartment shortly because they are in the process of upgrading all the apartments to justify charging up to $300.00 per month more for them. My place is quite comfortable, but, there idea upgrading is the following.... Replace all perfectly good appliances with the currently popular stainless exterior, paint the really rich looking Oak Cabinets a cold white and change the handles. Modify and replace the current durable counter tops with a fake granite top that is so flimsy that a neighbor accidentally placed a hot pan on it just for a brief moment and it burnt through the fake immediately, Change the wall color from off white to light tan, replace my almost new carpeting with a slightly darker one (either one is really just a tan), change out the linoleum entrance, kitchen and bathroom, with a very dark stone like pattern. For that my apartment rent goes up $100.00 per month. I have savings and do have the money to pay it, but, if it were my choice I would never have rented an apartment even at my lower rate that felt as cold as their new design.

Anyway, in the process of trying to negotiate with my property manager we were discussing the various reasons why I was upset about being told a 70 years old, a veteran and in need of a ground floor apartment due to a leg injury that makes stairs a problem, has to up an move so they can do that. When we got to the point of discussion where the fact that I was a veteran came up, she looked at me and said... Thank you for your Service! I almost gagged at the irony of that. Here she is telling me that I have to uproot and move for what will ultimately be an extra $100.00 per month in their pocket and instead of just trying to show a concern not only for the elderly or the veteran, it was all about money. Regardless of the fact that even if I found a way to pay the higher rate, I still had to pack up my stuff, and relocate. I have been here for 8 years, have paid the rent on the first day of the month every single month that I have lived here, do not complain about anything and have tried to be a good tenant... it just doesn't matter what hardship is inflicted on anyone as long that the $$$$$ keep being the priority in life.

Sorry... just feeling a little angry and hurt that trying to do the right things gets one no place. OK, done with that. I know that people my age have much bigger problems then mine and I am reminded of that every time I make a trip to the VA hospital for the clinics. That usually helps me snap out of my self pity and just move forward. One more thing I will get through, I'm just getting tired.

You're in a tough spot, and I don't envy your situation at all. It sucks, period. As for the guy commenting about your service, yah, that was a bit of slap in the face considering a veteran (who had always paid rent on time and didn't bother anyone for years there) was having the rug pulled out from underneath him. In that context, it was pretty darned insensitive on his part.

But, if I may, not everyone who says thanks to you for your military service, is like that guy. So I hope you can see his comment as a more isolated situation, and accept that others who thank you for your service,truly mean it from the heart and want nothing in return from you.

93boomer

Premium Member
As you may recall last year my husband couldn’t put up his outside Christmas decorations because of a broken ankle, but this year he is able to put them up. Here are a couple quick pictures from the light test tonight. There are a few more decorations on the side and back of the house. It was just a quick test they will be not be on again until after Thanksgiving.

View attachment 326493View attachment 326494View attachment 326495View attachment 326496View attachment 326497
Cool. He did a good job!!

Songbird76

Can I vent for a few seconds? I know that I have mentioned in the past, that I have trouble dealing with the phrase, "Thank you for your service" when random people find out that I am a Vietnam Veteran. I know that most people are sincerely trying to show an appreciation of what was a sacrifice, in some cases an extreme sacrifice and I should be appreciative. However in a effort to point out why, so many times it just seems like empty words, let me say something about an experience I had just this week.

I believe that I have spoken about the housing situation that I am currently having to deal with. For those that don't... I have been told that I will have to move out of my apartment shortly because they are in the process of upgrading all the apartments to justify charging up to $300.00 per month more for them. My place is quite comfortable, but, there idea upgrading is the following.... Replace all perfectly good appliances with the currently popular stainless exterior, paint the really rich looking Oak Cabinets a cold white and change the handles. Modify and replace the current durable counter tops with a fake granite top that is so flimsy that a neighbor accidentally placed a hot pan on it just for a brief moment and it burnt through the fake immediately, Change the wall color from off white to light tan, replace my almost new carpeting with a slightly darker one (either one is really just a tan), change out the linoleum entrance, kitchen and bathroom, with a very dark stone like pattern. For that my apartment rent goes up $100.00 per month. I have savings and do have the money to pay it, but, if it were my choice I would never have rented an apartment even at my lower rate that felt as cold as their new design.

Anyway, in the process of trying to negotiate with my property manager we were discussing the various reasons why I was upset about being told a 70 years old, a veteran and in need of a ground floor apartment due to a leg injury that makes stairs a problem, has to up an move so they can do that. When we got to the point of discussion where the fact that I was a veteran came up, she looked at me and said... Thank you for your Service! I almost gagged at the irony of that. Here she is telling me that I have to uproot and move for what will ultimately be an extra $100.00 per month in their pocket and instead of just trying to show a concern not only for the elderly or the veteran, it was all about money. Regardless of the fact that even if I found a way to pay the higher rate, I still had to pack up my stuff, and relocate. I have been here for 8 years, have paid the rent on the first day of the month every single month that I have lived here, do not complain about anything and have tried to be a good tenant... it just doesn't matter what hardship is inflicted on anyone as long that the $$$$$ keep being the priority in life.

Sorry... just feeling a little angry and hurt that trying to do the right things gets one no place. OK, done with that. I know that people my age have much bigger problems then mine and I am reminded of that every time I make a trip to the VA hospital for the clinics. That usually helps me snap out of my self pity and just move forward. One more thing I will get through, I'm just getting tired.
I'm so sorry.....and it does sound like empty words coming from someone who has no empathy. Like....thanks for what you've done, but we're not going to do anything to help you out because it would inconvenience us. I really truly believe my dad passed when he did partially because he was facing having to move. He lived on that ranch his whole life and always paid his lease on time.....he gets to 84 and they tell him he needs to leave and take his cattle with him. Where was he going to go??? As much as I wanted to see him go somewhere where he could be closer to healthcare facilities and neighbors who would look after him, he didn't deserve to have everything suddenly ripped out from under him. I think a lot of times, people look at the elderly and think "Well...it will be easy enough to take advantage of that."
I really hope you can find some sort of organization to help either fighting it, or subsidizing a new residence for you. You really don't deserve to be treated this way, and it's really shocking that someone would thank you for your service by taking away your home. How do these people look themselves in the mirror every morning? How do they look you in the eye?

Goofyernmost

You're in a tough spot, and I don't envy your situation at all. It sucks, period. As for the guy commenting about your service, yah, that was a bit of slap in the face considering a veteran (who had always paid rent on time and didn't bother anyone for years there) was having the rug pulled out from underneath him. In that context, it was pretty darned insensitive on his part.

But, if I may, not everyone who says thanks to you for your military service, is like that guy. So I hope you can see his comment as a more isolated situation, and accept that others who thank you for your service,truly mean it from the heart and want nothing in return from you.
I never thought everyone was just using the words without the emotion. But, I feel that more are just parroting then sincere. However, I would never say anything to anyone that said it other then thank you. Most of the time it is fine. I have a problem with military and X-military saying it. It feels to me like someone is expecting me to say it back. I looked at military people as all doing a supportive job. We didn't go in the service for the purpose of getting accolades and we really are/were in the same boat so it is like self praise. Yes it is complicated, but, I guess it's better then being simple. :angelic: It seems to me similar to my saying it must be amazing being a Father, when I am a Father myself. But, all of us have some form of idiosyncrasy, that one is mine. It really doesn't amount to anything, just a certain amount of bitterness that I have carried with me since 1970.

BTW, that "guy" was a "girl". I guess the female of the species can be insensitive too.

Last edited:

Songbird76

We went and saw The Nutcracker and the four realms tonight and it exceeded my expectations. I must confess, I am not a fan of the ballet, in general. Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, whatever...it makes no sense to me. I don't understand what's being portrayed. So for me, the original ballet version is really not that appealing. I went once in college when my boyfriend at the time was in the orchestra, and I like the music, but ballet just isn't my thing. But someone here said the movie was not the same story, and that gave me some hope that I might like it, and it had Mackenzie Foy in it, so I decided to give it a try, and I'm glad I did. And I had no idea who else was in it, but I was like..." Hey!! There's Mr. Darcy!" and then "So....when does the Hollowgast arrive?" and then "Is that Keira Knightly???" (Brilliant performance....it took me a while to recognize her because her voice and everything were so different.) I'm really bad with actor names...so mostly I recognize them from some other movie they are in, hence the Pride and Prejudice and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children references.
But I liked it a lot more than I was expecting, being based on the Nutcracker. And DD liked it, too. But I don't know enough of the original to tell you how closely (or not) if follows the storyline in the Ballet. I liked that it wasn't your standard ballet, but if that's what you love, I'd guess you probably won't like this version so much? Costuming was pretty cool...I love Clara's wardrobe/accessories. And I liked that there was just a touch of humor in a couple of places. Anyway, I'm glad I went. Has anyone else seen it?

MySmallWorldof4

We went and saw The Nutcracker and the four realms tonight and it exceeded my expectations. I must confess, I am not a fan of the ballet, in general. Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, whatever...it makes no sense to me. I don't understand what's being portrayed. So for me, the original ballet version is really not that appealing. I went once in college when my boyfriend at the time was in the orchestra, and I like the music, but ballet just isn't my thing. But someone here said the movie was not the same story, and that gave me some hope that I might like it, and it had Mackenzie Foy in it, so I decided to give it a try, and I'm glad I did. And I had no idea who else was in it, but I was like..." Hey!! There's Mr. Darcy!" and then "So....when does the Hollowgast arrive?" and then "Is that Keira Knightly???" (Brilliant performance....it took me a while to recognize her because her voice and everything were so different.) I'm really bad with actor names...so mostly I recognize them from some other movie they are in, hence the Pride and Prejudice and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children references.
But I liked it a lot more than I was expecting, being based on the Nutcracker. And DD liked it, too. But I don't know enough of the original to tell you how closely (or not) if follows the storyline in the Ballet. I liked that it wasn't your standard ballet, but if that's what you love, I'd guess you probably won't like this version so much? Costuming was pretty cool...I love Clara's wardrobe/accessories. And I liked that there was just a touch of humor in a couple of places. Anyway, I'm glad I went. Has anyone else seen it?
I saw it and I believe I was the one who said it was a different story from the ballet. I enjoyed it as well. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom