The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sounds like you have a few options, and that's good.

My first reaction was, won't he miss being in school with other kids? As a kid, I didn't care for school (except for when they let us color--I liked coloring pictures! :hilarious: ). But, I really liked being around all the other kids, and I wasn't an outgoing kid. Also, when I was growing up, if there was any homeschooling going on, none of us knew about it. All the kids on our street went to either public or private schools.

Just wondering: what if he went to school as usual, but took that extra advanced class at home--so he'd have one home-schooled class.
It would have to be the whole day, most of his friends live within biking distance and coloring?

Figgy1

Premium Member
What does he want to do? And is the advanced class something he needs for his future career? Would you be able to teach/help with the advanced class material? And what would you do after that one year? Would he be better off in the long run for having those extra classes, or would it be just for the sake of having those classes?
In the long run we think it will help him, we're not positive but almost certain. We're going to talk to somebody at the school before the end of the year and depending on how it goes he may finish at home or not. We're still gathering info.

Songbird76

In the long run we think it will help him, we're not positive but almost certain. We're going to talk to somebody at the school before the end of the year and depending on how it goes he may finish at home or not. We're still gathering info.
I would say find out what's most important to him. It may help in the long run, but there will also be sacrifices he would have to make, mostly social ones. But, is he going to be ok about not getting to attend school events or be in school activities? Or is there a way to work that out with the school that he would technically be under their umbrella, but would just have his lessons at home? Can he handle the workload of the packed schedule to the degree that everyone is agreed on, or is the quality of his work going to decrease because he doesn't have the time to put into every subject? Weigh the long term benefits against the short term sactifices and see what comes of it. It's a pretty big decision. And also, how are YOU going to feel about being a teacher? It will mean a lot of sacrifices on your part, too, and you won't have a whole lot of flexibility because you'll still have the other one in Public school, correct? So you will still be bound to standard school vacations and times, etc.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I would say find out what's most important to him. It may help in the long run, but there will also be sacrifices he would have to make, mostly social ones. But, is he going to be ok about not getting to attend school events or be in school activities? Or is there a way to work that out with the school that he would technically be under their umbrella, but would just have his lessons at home? Can he handle the workload of the packed schedule to the degree that everyone is agreed on, or is the quality of his work going to decrease because he doesn't have the time to put into every subject? Weigh the long term benefits against the short term sactifices and see what comes of it. It's a pretty big decision. And also, how are YOU going to feel about being a teacher? It will mean a lot of sacrifices on your part, too, and you won't have a whole lot of flexibility because you'll still have the other one in Public school, correct? So you will still be bound to standard school vacations and times, etc.
The amount of work is the one thing we're not worried about. As far as helping when he needs help we're not too worried about that either my dh has agreed to help if he needs to and I have a couple of friends with advanced degrees that have also offered to help if needed. The only subject we have any concerns about is Spanish but he seems to be picking it up with no problems yet. We still have to work out what he can and cannot do with the school. It's almost as much info to go through as taking several courses ourselves:banghead: He has a few close friends who live close enough so that won't be too much of an issue. The one thing we found out that he likes is he can design his own phys ed. As long as he logs in a certain amount of activity each week he's covered. I like that he can pop in my workout or yoga dvds in bad weather, follow along and it counts as does going on any of my long walks or hiking in the woods. Bowling also counts. Right now we're taking in as much info as we can.

21stamps

Well, to be fair, I met my husband over 20 years ago on an online game and we were friends for several years before we started "dating" and met in person. I was in a relationship when I was on that game and got to be friends with my husband. It wasn't until I ended that relationship that my husband said he would really like a chance with me. I wouldn't be able to do the internet dating thing either. Personally, I hated the dating scene, no matter which form it took....it's all varying degrees of awful and I'm so glad to not to have to deal with it anymore. But when my husband and I got together, meeting people on the internet wasn't quite as scary, and the people I met were people I'd been talking to for years, just like on here. You are going to be in a particular place, you meet to say hi or get drinks or whatever. I wouldn't have the nerve to date someone from the internet now. Yikes. But like I said, there was usually someone with me whenever I met someone, and I always met in a public place so if it was a creeper, I would never have gone anywhere with them. The worst experience I ever had was when we (my ex and I) invited some people for their spring break and the one turned out to be the most annoying, hyper, worst house guest ever. He brought this big pointer stick that he called a "sword" and he kept swinging it around in our tiny little apartment and I had to ban it inside....he was like a toddler. He ripped our bed sheets and didn't tell us....I discovered it after they left. We were poor college students and had carefully budgeted for food and had all the meals planned out and he went through our freezer and insisted on making dinner, but using things I had for 3 nights all in one dish, and then we had to go buy more stuff we didn't have the money for, but they hadn't brought any money with them, so couldn't contribute for groceries. And then he kept saying he was the best house guest ever because he made dinner one night, which was chicken breast with campbells cream of mushroom soup over it, and some minute rice. So it wasn't that they were creepers, just really annoying and rude...insisting we HAD to let them make this food because what we had planned wasn't nearly as good as what he could make, how Wyoming didn't really have real mountains...the mountains he was used to were so much better....everything he did/had was so much better. I couldn't wait to see the back of him. They wanted to prolong their trip and we were like "Oh, no, we can't let you do that...your friends and family will worry if you don't get home when you're supposed to!" Other than that, I've never really had a bad experience meeting a friend from the internet, and in a way, it was no different than having a pen pal that you finally get to meet. You correspond for years and really feel like you know them. I was fortunate in that MOST people were pretty much exactly like they were on the internet. But, in this day and age, I don't think I would do things the way we used to....it would just be a very short meet up because we happen to be in the same place, not that you work out a plan and go somewhere specifically to meet that person. More like "Oh, hey, I'm going to be in Disney then, too! Shall we meet up for a drink?" rather than "I'd really like to meet you.....how can we make that happen?" But I'm also a different person than I was when I was 20. My 20 year old self was not as aware of the dangers, and was much more social than I am now.

Ugh, what horrible houseguests! I’m glad you didn’t allow them to extend!
That’s neat how you met you husband!

21stamps

Big weekend-

T’s track and field events at school (his favorite day of the year) tomorrow morning.

1 soccer game tomorrow night.

1 baseball game and 2 soccer games Saturday.

2 soccer games Sunday.

Forecast for all 3 days- Thunderstorms

:(

Their last soccer practice was cancelled last night. I’m going to set a bunch of fans out in my yard, will that blow the clouds away?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Big weekend-

T’s track and field events at school (his favorite day of the year) tomorrow morning.

1 soccer game tomorrow night.

1 baseball game and 2 soccer games Saturday.

2 soccer games Sunday.

Forecast for all 3 days- Thunderstorms

:(

Their last soccer practice was cancelled last night. I’m going to set a bunch of fans out in my yard, will that blow the clouds away?
I hope you have better luck blowing the rain away than I did blowing the snow to @MinnieM123

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
What clothing do you wear in your house in the winter? At 58 I would be layered with a jacket.

We keep our house pretty cool in the winter and fairly warm in the summer. We have a horrifically inefficient system because all our air vent covers are broken and we haven't replaced them, so we basically heat and cool based on the kid's room. Which is on the top floor so it needs to be heated way less than the rest of the house. We just wear hoodies and slippers, and keep our house around 63. If we went down to 58 my husband would need a full blown snow suit, LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom