The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Serious decision time here. One of my boys can take more classes if he's homeschooled next year including one advanced class which our district doesn't offer. HELP!!!!!!

@MySmallWorldof4 is the experienced one here, but I’ll give my 3rd party opinion-
Do it!!

I have two friends, one of which is a close friend, who homeschool.. the stuff that their kids are learning is Just So NEAT! They take amazing field trips constantly, they take on subjects during the school day that I can only talk about with my kid in between all of his other stuff.
As i said a few days ago, we’ve also lost quite a few students in T’s class to homeschooling in the past 2 years. I know the parents and they’re still on my social media, one of them started a YouTube channel.. the kids are completely thriving!.. and they still do their sports/extracurriculars with their friends. I’m not exactly sure how they worked that out with the school, but it appears to be going great. :)

wdwfan4ver

Thanks for making me feel young, but, I'm afraid there was no internet when I was growing up. Transistor radios, with lousy sound and no range at all along with the game "Operation" were the electronic highlights of my time growing up. We figured we had gone about a far as we could go with technology.
I remembered getting operation as a gift back when I was a kid. I can't remember if it was for Birthday or Christmas, but that game was a frustrating game. Board games was one of the common gifts my younger brother and I got back when we were kids for Birthdays and Christmas. There was a bunch of games I had growing up that I enjoyed more than Operation such as Mouse Trap, and Sorry!, as examples.

I did not have a computer as a kid although I did use one at school. Internet didn't exist yet before I started middle school. The electronic highlights I had as a kid was remote control car, own television set, video games, light brite, and Transformers shockwave toy.

The way the television set worked was my parents gave it to my younger brother and I as an early Christmas gift when I was in 4th grade, but there was some rules that had to be followed such as doing chores, and homework first before using. The television set couldn't be used if you get grounded.

What a Transformers Shockwave toy is its a robot that transforms into a futuristic gun that flashes and makes sounds. When I was a kid, Shockwave was a neat toy.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Serious decision time here. One of my boys can take more classes if he's homeschooled next year including one advanced class which our district doesn't offer. HELP!!!!!!

Sounds like you have a few options, and that's good.

My first reaction was, won't he miss being in school with other kids? As a kid, I didn't care for school (except for when they let us color--I liked coloring pictures! :hilarious: ). But, I really liked being around all the other kids, and I wasn't an outgoing kid. Also, when I was growing up, if there was any homeschooling going on, none of us knew about it. All the kids on our street went to either public or private schools.

Just wondering: what if he went to school as usual, but took that extra advanced class at home--so he'd have one home-schooled class.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have some ketching up to do, but I had to share because I am a super proud mama. View attachment 284168

DD got a perfect score on her Cito exam. 0% scored higher than she did in math, 4% scored higher than her in language, 6% in reading, and 26% in writing. She did SO well! And her best friend also did really well, with a 544....1 point away from VWO, but she already had the VWO advice anyway, and it can't go down. I suspect it was close, and I suspect that she had a bad day in there during their testing, because usually she's right up there neck and neck with DD. I was kind of expecting her to have a 550 as well, or at least a 549. But both of them got great scores. Really proud!!!

Congrats to her!

21stamps

Cauliflower? He likes to snack on cauliflower?! At his age, and even as an adult, I always go for the sweet stuff. He lucked out that he actually likes cauliflower. :D

I rarely ever buy it! Bought it this weekend for a dish that I made for mother’s day. He’s been snacking on the leftovers ever since.. but it was funny to hear him request it so excitedly as his after school snack. The cauliflower is all gone now.

I don’t really keep sweet stuff in the house... with the exception of ice cream and popsicles. Those stay in the basement though. Not allowed for something like an after school treat.

21stamps

Sounds like it might be a nice opportunity. Would he want to be homeschooled all day? We have some kids that do some classes at home and then some at school.

I want to mention my assessment testing school meeting to you. The teacher said she was frustrated with T’s verbal score as well, because he should have done better.. but not to worry because it is not indicative of what he should have scored.
She told me that as she was reading the questions she would walk around the room. Every time she looked at T - he would answer the next 3 as well!! Problem with that- He didn’t even know the question!!! She said that she told him to stop once, but he kept doing it repeatedly.

I talked to him about that and hope it doesn’t happen again.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I want to mention my assessment testing school meeting to you. The teacher said she was frustrated with T’s verbal score as well, because he should have done better.. but not to worry because it is not indicative of what he should have scored.
She told me that as she was reading the questions she would walk around the room. Every time she looked at T - he would answer the next 3 as well!! Problem with that- He didn’t even know the question!!! She said that she told him to stop once, but he kept doing it repeatedly.

I think it's the cauliflower effect . . . ( :p )

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I didn't think you had much to worry about. That's the problem though with standardized tests, I don't think they always paint the best picture of what kids can do. Some kids get bored and just fill in bubble or click on whatever they feel like at the time, some kids get nervous, some are tired, etc....

donaldtoo

I never had catfish. Last night at a restaurant, I did have (lightly) fried haddock with tarter sauce, though. I love tarter sauce! :hungry: Do you use tarter sauce with fried catfish?

Never had catfish before?!?!?!?! :eek:
Oh my!!! Sympathy like. ;)
You should give I try sometime, I find it very delicious...!!! :hungry:
As far as the tarter sauce goes, some bites with it, some without...the filets (I prefer the spicy ones) are really tasty all on their own...!!! :hungry:
Also, their regular tarter sauce is fine, but I prefer their jalapeño tarter with the kick it has. It's in the little cup in the upper left of this pic...and, yet another... :hungry:!!!!! :hilarious:

image.jpeg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I meant to share this yesterday and forgot....

Our curriculum director has been planning a trip with her family to Disney this June. She has been to WDW before but many years ago, Animal Kingdom wasn't open the last time she went. She did talk to me at various stages, she has not however taken all my suggestions so it should be interesting to hear how things go. Anyway, we talked again on Monday and I got these tidbits from her...

1. The travel agent she booked with quit her agency and right at fast pass booking time she was assigned a new agent. The agent she was assigned has been to WDW once about 15 years ago and didn't really know much about fast passes! :jawdrop: I suggested an agency that I have used a couple times (they booked my cruises and a stay at WDW) that specializes in WDW and there are no fees. So had she gone with my suggestion she would have had oodles of fast pass help.

2. She didn't know anything about rider swap with kids, so I had to fill her in on that. That probably would have changed her fast passes up. I have offered to look at her itinerary and make suggestions. She said she might, meaning she probably won't.

3. It is a multi-generational trip and she commented "I really thought we all would have more time apart, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. But maybe we will be able to separate more when the time comes." I thought that was kind of funny, she is the grandma and wants time away from the grandkids! It seems as if I always hear about people wanting to be together all the time.

4. And the best....They leave on June 30th, late in the day so they plan to go to Toy Storyland on opening day. :eek: I mentioned that they might want to get there especially early that day (I relayed stories I heard about the opening of Pandora last year and what we saw on the opening of Frozen) she looked at me like I was crazy. Granted she said they had a fast pass for something in the land that day but still I think that is going to be crazy to go opening day. I hope for her sake I'm wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom