The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's getting better!! The swelling has gone down so much that it now just looks like a handful of bug bites!!

I'm positive it wasn't spiders, but cannot tell you for sure it was mosquitos. The other bites I had were definitely mosquito bites but those went away like they normally do. We were walking in a field in the Katrina Memorial but it was really dark out. I somehow didn't experience any mosquito bites anywhere else in the city, and that's impressive. I wish the tour guide would have mentioned it though because I had bug spray wipes in my purse I could have used.

The only one other possibility I'd worry about are tick bites. Those also look better after taking antihistamines for few days, but the poison is in your bloodstream. Those are treated (best if early on) with antibiotics. I'm not saying it was a tick, only that we don't know what actually bit you. Hopefully just a mosquito bite.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sorry I got behind again but I had an MRI with contrast and it made me ill. (My fifth in the past year. You'd think I'd have built up a tolerance to it.) I've been down and out for a few days but will get ketchuped soon. 😍

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I was wondering where you were. And contrast affects people differently, and even if it hasn't bothered you before, nothing is cast in stone with that stuff.

donaldtoo

Happy birthday to your mom! My dad was born in 33, and my mom in 38. My mom talked about air raid drills, and ration stamps, etc. She kept the old ration stamp booklets and I have an album with them and she wrote out some things she remembered from that time.

Thank you for the birthday wishes for my mom!

My folks both lived so far out in the country they never had air raid drills, but, they have talked about ration booklets, scrap iron drives, etc. before.
First the depression, then WWII following pretty much directly...crazy times.

donaldtoo

Now, that is fascinating. I would have thought that kerosene lamps were out of vogue at the time they were going to school, but like you said, it was a rural area--and it took some time for the REA to take effect in their area. This is the stuff I love reading about--individual histories of people who lived back then.

It is, indeed, some cool history!
I actually remembered to ask mom when we were over at their home on Sunday for her 79th birthday, and she, without hesitation, answered that it was 1949 before they got electricity...!!! :cyclops:
I never got around to asking pop.
And, I still remember going with my grandparents and parents, when I was a child, out on the farm at night with an adult carrying a kerosene lamp for light. I remember my grandfather on my moms side saying one time that the kerosene was cheaper than flashlight battery's and lasted longer, at the time.
I always just remember liking the softer yellow light from the kerosene lamp...! :happy:

wdwfan4ver

I know. Life is so unfair. Gimme some of that snow!! :banghead:
I think you would be jealous of Door County. They already have a record of Snow up there in April. They had a least two snow Snow Storms this month. They got over 40 inches of snow this month already. At least most of the flowers aren't coming in before next month.

The Apple Trees and the Cherry trees aren't affected up in Door County either since they usually bloom in the May 20th to May 25th range. What I mentioned Cherry trees is very important. Door County is one of the top 5 Cherry producers of the entire United States and the businesses up there use Cherries for a lot of stuff.

During the weekend, they got 30 inches of snow. All I know is Door county From November to right now got a record in snow. They got nearly 9 feet of snow during the 2017-2018 snow season.

The most snow Door County ever got before this was in 2008-2009 when they had 95.1 inches.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

View attachment 277900
View attachment 277901

It was Hope Cemetery. Nothing really to look at, but it had such an interesting history!!

When DWifey and I were in NOLA for our 2nd wedding anni. we took a bus tour involving several cemeteries. It was explained to us that all were above ground crypts because of the water table, and they would just stack family members on top of each other, as they passed.
But, all those cemeteries were closer to the French Quarter, which is notoriously known for being under sea level.
Where was that cemetery...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom