The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And it will keep happening if companies are so stubborn to embrace new technology. Amazon pretty much killed them all.

Can you imagine of Toys R Us used an amazon like site with multiple sources to sell toys?
They didnt. Very similar error as Blockbuster, who believed they were untouchable.

Same with books and downloadable books....bye bye Boarders Books here. Stupid companies that refuse to adjust their business model.

Figgy1

And Walmart has often been blamed for the Original Department Store Failures.

Me my sadness is in Brick and Mortar bookstores. I loved taking my kids book shopping. Them finding books that they 'wanted' to read was exciting.
I go to a small one which is a mix of new and used books when I'm in that area. I wish there were more that would adopt that model because they could both sell cheaper books and give gently loved ones a new home.

Figgy1

Montessori in my area is a very loosely defined educational definition. We have a Korean based school here that is that but open to everyone. If the teacher is teaching math and you don't 'feel it' you get to get up and go to the back of the room and engage yourself as a student in free time learning. :cyclops: I looked into the school as a daycare for my DD and deemed with that wide spectrum of free-form choice they'd be raising a bunch of idiots.
That would have worked for my James. He's always loved learning:joyfull: When he was little he would pick up a book as often as he would a toy. My older ds is the complete opposite. A perfect example of every child is different

Figgy1

My DD and I will head to Chicago next week. They have their annual Flower and Garden Show at Navy Pier on Lake Michigan. Last year it was 70 degrees. That won't be happening this year though. It is my Ray of Sunshine for the Winter. Hear it was a high of 62 at WDW today. Not a great starting week for Flower and Garden or Spring Break. I'd take that today, highs in the 30s however 62 high in Florida brrrr....though 30 degrees warmer than what I had in December.

Edit: here is a lone little flower that popped up here 6 days ago outside the back door. In a month the balance of them will come to bloom, this little 'beauty' is just a tad early and was met by snow that night.

DXd2AOlXkAADxBw.jpg
I'm so jelly. You know the drill be safe and take lots of pics. ps extra points for tropical plants

Figgy1

I am still awake as I have 2 accesses to cable and or internet here. Both were down. Fooling around with both freak'n woke me up. 1 internet never came back up, cable never came back up, but one internet did so I could at least pull up netflix. At least I have data on my phone.

Amazing how tech agravation wakes ya right the heck back up. :cautious: And tomorrow is the start of Early Day Starts.
*pouts*
Sympathy like. What do you call early?

MySmallWorldof4

That something that baffles me regarding cruise ships.

Royal Caribbean for example, announced it will move one of the Quantum ships to Seattle for Alaska itinerary.. and I'm baffled on HOW THE HELL A HUGE SHIP LIKE THE QUANTUM CLASS can fit in the narrow passages?

When I was at the wonder, we had a bigger Princess ship behind us if I remember correctly, and a same sized Holland American Line (RYNDAM) infront.

And the Princess had to maneouver so slowly in the Sawyer Glacier area (there are 3 VERY narrow areas in Tracy's arm).

I cant imagine a Quantum (20 % bigger than the Grand Princess , 280meters vs 340meters) slowly doing a "turn" in the glaciers area in Alaska. or Fitting in small ports like Ketchikan.

In the other hand, speaking of the new Disney ships.

They are way bigger in gross tonnage (almost 6,000 GT than the Fantasy) but having less capacity (3500 vs 4000 people). Makes me wonder if it will have way more large "family" rooms and suites. Similar to the Quantum and Oasis class.. with its 2 floor lofts and suites.
I would like that idea, as long as they are not the price of 2 cabins. When we went in 2015, that was something I put down in the survey, that they should have family rooms for 6 like they do at some resorts that don't require a suite fee, just an extra person fee.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This actually makes me want to cry. I made it a point to try and buy from TRUs at Christmas time. I always bought the baby stuff from Babies R Us. Amazon toy prices are generally more expensive than other stores and rarely buy toys from them. I read the article and it seems that a buyout in 2005 started the downfall. They couldn't keep up with debt. Poor management and probably a change in kids tastes with more of a move to digital toys led to this. Very, very sad.

Sorry to hear that this closure affected your family. It's lousey when you find somethingthat works well, and then it ceases to exist. :banghead:

This was a topic last night at dinner, with a few guys we know, at our favorite restaurant. None of us has kids, but the main question was just how do these toy companies stay in business to begin with? We were all wondering how many toys actually get sold during the year (aside of Christmas holidays, etc.).

We somewhat came to the conclusion that maybe not as many toys are being sold now (as when we were kids), due to all the electronic gadgets, games, etc., that kids are exposed to nowadays. Again, it was just our theory of the downfall of Toys R Us--and perhaps some wrong management decisions as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom