The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Really, you've got to get with the times. Go buy yourself a nice, new washing matchine. Dump your present one--

View attachment 268256

:hilarious:

ETA...
Even my grandmother on my dads side had one like this with a hand-cranked wringer, and then hung it on a line.

image.jpeg

The washer was in the wash house right next to the smokehouse about halfway between the barn and the farmhouse.
But, my mother on my moms side always did it in a kettle with a fire under it outside, and then hung it all on a line.
Old methods die hard, sometimes.
That was as modern as their washing/laundry ever got.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I cringe when the school’s name comes up on my phone, I immediately think “please don’t tell me he’s sick and ask me to come get him!” Luckily it’s typically a playground fall, and the nurse is calling to tell me what happened, that he’s fine, and what she did to treat him. (Usually a bandaid and a lollipop lol)
About 50% of the time school and daycare was a trip to the Doc or ER.

DS in HS-his spotter pushed him off the balance beam
DD 2 years old-a boy picked up a wagon and hit her in the head with it, there is a big bump
DS friends mom-he fell 2.5 stories out of tree as my DD was chashing him in the tree trying to kiss him. She was 7 years old, he was 9.
DD Primary school-she was walking backwards like her teacher down the hallway. She slammed her head into the IBeam (had a cover the next week)
DS middle school-tug of war gym sock, sock won forehead stitches
DD Intermediate School-swim team practice-DD fractures pinky and pulls away ligaments from bone by getting finger stuck in lane line doing backstroke (after I heard full story from DD I told her coach he was a PIN HEAD)

My Sunday evening ritual is a bubble bath with a glass of Chianti. I’ve never purchased anything from Basin, always hear great things..maybe I should. The store definitely smells good!

When my DD was about 2 had my bathtub removed and a Jacuzzi bathtub in its place. Not a hot tubby thing a very deep but long Jacuzzi tub. Suddenly everyone wanted to use my bathroom :cautious:

Riesling please!

Last edited:

Gabe1

I'm not really into name brand or trendy either. I like the Vera Bradley bags because they are the right size I need and I like the cross body style. I also like that they are cloth and I can put it in the washer when it gets dirty. I have one of them going through the wash right now! :) The price isn't too bad for the quality. I liked them before they started doing Disney patterns so when the Disney patterns were released that was a nice bonus!

Simmons has Vera in some of their Outlet Malls. The one in Aurora/Naperville has a nice one and their discounts are deep. Even better around holidays when they hand you a coupon walking in their door.

I've been a fan of Vera but I've since found Sakroots. They follow the same styling and whimsical patterns but their material has a seal to it and it repels dirt etc far better, as does the Kipling Purses and who doesn't love a baby gorilla? Both Sakroot and Kipling are priced fairly. Kipling is also more waterproof than Vera is. Sakroot is the most indestructible of the 3 I own. I just bought one for my iPhone 10
that I haven't bought yet. lol. :rolleyes:

Gabe1

Disney said nope as well, but, I still saw them there just last year. (Roller shoes)

Both of my kids had Heely's.
th
th

They were not expensive. Macy's even sells them $24-60 depending on quality of shoe.

I saw Heely's at WDW both trips last year. Kids were being responsible with them. Much better than the adults on their tank mobility carts. I saw his and her ones like this on the path from Circus to space. The picture does not do justice to how freak'n big these are. They said they pulled a trailer and ride them up the ramp to load.

afi1.jpg

Gabe1

you forgot "might have torrential rains and hurricanes" and "destroyed by mosquitoes" in the list.

In all my years at Disney there was only one vacation that we had issues with mosquitoes at POR but yes it needs a hurricane factor, though Florida had gone 10 years I believe without one until the two back to back ones recently.
That can be enough now.

Gabe1

you forgot "might have torrential rains and hurricanes" and "destroyed by mosquitoes" in the list.

Irma rained a great deal day #1 but nothing I had not seen at home multiple times a year. Disney pretty well shut things down at the resort at around 930pm as the winds really picked up. I remember 'cause we left Artist Point and were heading to the lounge next door. We had sat on our bums the entire day so there wasn't Disney exhaustion happening. We went to our room, played on our various devices and fell asleep. My DD and I slept through the night unlike my son who said he heard all the rain, noise and wind. Me not at all. I awoke well rested in a dry intact room with power. The sun was out. Wilderness had just added the cabins and a lake side restaurant so many plants, trees and bushes were newly planted and had not rooted. Many of them were on their sides but not causing any issues as they were tiny. I saw 2 trees down, one near the path to the MK boats and one blocking the bus path to reach the covered staging area.. The only other issues and it was nasty was the path from WL to Fort Wilderness. That was a war zone of toppled evergreen, very skinny thin and old short rooted trees. In hindsight a stupid tree for Disney to plant in mass. These are the same trees that catch on fire on bus routes during the summer with the summer thunderstorms. My guess is Disney got away from these particular trees as they topple easily and catch fire quickly.

Mosquitoes have never been an issue on Disney Property in 3 decades with my family. One time and that year was not pleasant that trip and it was a 4th of July trip, heart of summer. Never before, never after so Disney is quietly doing something. I get the fear. It is real especially for woman. You dont expose yourself to those bugs 6 months before becoming pregnant or once you are pregnant. My good friends and neighbors for decades new daughter in law and older-ish for starting a family was told since they honeymooned in the Caribbean not to become pregnant for at least minimum 6 months. She is waiting a year. I so so understand the fear of mosquitoes and young woman. Like AIDS in its dawning years so much to learn yet. Us we are not in that demographic so I'm not as concerned as some could be. Me if I was that age Disney would be the place to vacation before becoming pregnant and while pregnant. A September and December trip. Not a mosquitoes to be found. It may cost a fortune but they do behind the scene watch out for their guests. A bonus to so many. Me I appreciate not slapping the little boogers.

Gabe1

As a side note.. if I was to ever have another child (which isn’t happening), I would never invest the same amount of money into “early learning” as I did with T. (some of the ridiculous preschool/PreK schools, not all early learning centers) I’ve expressed that sentiment to friends/family members with new babies when they’re stressing over enrolling at infancy, it’s the biggest scam (for lack of a better word) in the US, I think. Don’t get me wrong, I loved what he learned during that time, he would constantly surprise me with facts that I didn’t even know that he knew.. but now that he’s in second grade, I don’t think it gave that much of an advantage, not enough to justify the insane amount of money spent, or the stress of the decision when he was a baby.
Depends Hindsight. I have 2 one could have used straight daycare. The second surpassed the early learning and could have used so much more. Depends on the kid and when they are babies we don't have hindsight to fall back on. Roll of the dice at birth.

Gabe1

This was my dilemma with Kindergarten. Preschool, PreK 1 and PreK 2 were at a “school”/early learning center that was open til 6pm. He stayed there all year round for the ‘summer camp’ as well. I registered him for Kindergarten there, but I also registered for K at our current school. I was on a wait list anyway, kept going back and forth with the decision, and part of me hoped the wait list would make the choice for me.

Well we got a call that March to come in for an interview.. I was still undecided, mostly because I knew he would have more days off and obviously earlier dismissal at the K-8 school. Finally, mainly because of his shyness, I decided to just go ahead and make the switch, I thought it would be easier for him than to come in to first grade with kids who already knew each other.

He did stay enrolled for the after care at the early learning center, and he has continued to do their summer camp ever since.. but this summer will be the first that we aren’t doing it. We’re doing a variety of other camps instead.

That first year of kindergarten was such a shock and adjustment to my schedule after what we had previously!

*pixie dust* Did it. It is hard. I wish I could say it gets easy after a while. It does not from what I did with my kids this millennium. I finally quit. Dual careers were not working for the 4 of us 2 careers and 2 kids. I started a business of my own which began with my youngest a preschooler and my son in 4th grade. I couldn't deal with that former career and raise my kids. If a barge hit a bridge I had to go. Try and find a baby sitter at 3am when your hubby has to be at work at 7am. It became beyond stressful and I was more dependent on friends to pull my DS out of daycare and bring him to soccer practice with their kid. I wrestled with others doing for my kid that I could not. For the most part daycare worked well. School did not. Not here anyhow. The pros and cons of small town life. So I started my own business and had more control over my hours, continued my career but with the wiggle room I needed for 20 years thereafter to raise the family I brought into the world. I was lucky that all worked out for me. Wasn't easy but I would have gone bonkers if I tried to keep up with what was not working.
More hindsight I would have split the responsibility between me and Dad more equally. Lessons learned. A fault of mine is to solve issues. Sometimes letting the 'other' figure it out would have been a blessing. Do overs.

Cesar R M

Irma rained a great deal day #1 but nothing I had not seen at home multiple times a year. Disney pretty well shut things down at the resort at around 930pm as the winds really picked up. I remember 'cause we left Artist Point and were heading to the lounge next door. We had sat on our bums the entire day so there wasn't Disney exhaustion happening. We went to our room, played on our various devices and fell asleep. My DD and I slept through the night unlike my son who said he heard all the rain, noise and wind. Me not at all. I awoke well rested in a dry intact room with power. The sun was out. Wilderness had just added the cabins and a lake side restaurant so many plants, trees and bushes were newly planted and had not rooted. Many of them were on their sides but not causing any issues as they were tiny. I saw 2 trees down, one near the path to the MK boats and one blocking the bus path to reach the covered staging area.. The only other issues and it was nasty was the path from WL to Fort Wilderness. That was a war zone of toppled evergreen, very skinny thin and old short rooted trees. In hindsight a stupid tree for Disney to plant in mass. These are the same trees that catch on fire on bus routes during the summer with the summer thunderstorms. My guess is Disney got away from these particular trees as they topple easily and catch fire quickly.

Mosquitoes have never been an issue on Disney Property in 3 decades with my family. One time and that year was not pleasant that trip and it was a 4th of July trip, heart of summer. Never before, never after so Disney is quietly doing something. I get the fear. It is real especially for woman. You dont expose yourself to those bugs 6 months before becoming pregnant or once you are pregnant. My good friends and neighbors for decades new daughter in law and older-ish for starting a family was told since they honeymooned in the Caribbean not to become pregnant for at least minimum 6 months. She is waiting a year. I so so understand the fear of mosquitoes and young woman. Like AIDS in its dawning years so much to learn yet. Us we are not in that demographic so I'm not as concerned as some could be. Me if I was that age Disney would be the place to vacation before becoming pregnant and while pregnant. A September and December trip. Not a mosquitoes to be found. It may cost a fortune but they do behind the scene watch out for their guests. A bonus to so many. Me I appreciate not slapping the little boogers.
My only issue with mosquitos was during a boat trip from Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness.
and near the "river" canals in Universal Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom