The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I am busy trying to avoid Mt. Washmore, now.
I tried that once, it only grows:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:
Sympathy like. I just have to have it put away. I think that is the worst part. :(

I'll probably earn myself a cage for this à la @Mr Ferret 88 ... But my husband does our laundry while I'm at work (he works from home). I haven't had to actually do laundry for years, except after camping or vacation....

Songbird76

I didn't go to preschool either, although some were available. We just couldn't afford it. I remember the HUGE thing stressed to me by my family was that I needed to know how to tie my shoes on my own before kindergarten :joyfull::joyfull:

From preschool. Preschool is the new kindergarten and we're expecting our children to learn more things, earlier than ever
Right, but not everyone can afford preschool. So if you can't afford preschool, and you aren't particularly well educated yourself, where does your kid learn all the stuff they need before kindergarten? When I was doing my observations before my student teaching, I was at a k-12 school and one of my 8th graders there I'm pretty sure was illiterate. I gave a quiz and one of the questions had something to do with "How does the French Horn differ from other brass instruments?" and this girl's answer was "5". You ask the kids to read a paragraph in the textbook, she's not even looking at the book. I asked the teacher about it...this girl had been moved SO many times, and it seems that every time someone talked to the parents about their concern, they moved. So if that girl has kids, how would they learn the basics when their mother can't teach them, and because she's illiterate, she's not going to get a great job...she probably can't afford preschool. So that's my question...public school is free, so everyone can send their kids there, but preschool is expensive...How can you expect kids to get that education prior to the free education?

StarWarsGirl

Right, but not everyone can afford preschool. So if you can't afford preschool, and you aren't particularly well educated yourself, where does your kid learn all the stuff they need before kindergarten? When I was doing my observations before my student teaching, I was at a k-12 school and one of my 8th graders there I'm pretty sure was illiterate. I gave a quiz and one of the questions had something to do with "How does the French Horn differ from other brass instruments?" and this girl's answer was "5". You ask the kids to read a paragraph in the textbook, she's not even looking at the book. I asked the teacher about it...this girl had been moved SO many times, and it seems that every time someone talked to the parents about their concern, they moved. So if that girl has kids, how would they learn the basics when their mother can't teach them, and because she's illiterate, she's not going to get a great job...she probably can't afford preschool. So that's my question...public school is free, so everyone can send their kids there, but preschool is expensive...How can you expect kids to get that education prior to the free education?
Preschool is required here and is free. It was also free but not required when I was a kid; but we were in the middle of a move and my parents didn't send me.

Songbird76

It’s definitely a requirement to be able to read and write before kindergarten at all of the schools I know of here. Like I said, it wasn’t like that when I was a kid.

I feel the same regarding Ivy League schools. My brother in law was accepted to Yale, he placed in the 30th %.. 30% of kids were supposedly “smarter” than him. I know he agonized over the decision to attend or not, ended up deciding it wasn’t worth the stress. He attended a different private university, finished number 1 in his class every year.. he’s an orthopedic, which one would have given him the better advantage? Top of his class in a great school, or middle-ish of his class in an Ivy League school”, I think the former.. and it worked out for him.

My high school’s curriculum set us up to be accepted into any university of our choice, meaning they had a minimum required curriculum/extra curricular/volunteer/community requirements to give us the basics.. but your performance in those requirements determined what schools you got into.. not the high school alone. Most people didn’t end up going Ivy League, I think it was around 15%. The school did help with admissions into other schools though, and the student ratio of obtaining college scholarships was huge.
The specific school only gets you so far though, for sure. A kid can achieve exactly the same in public school or home school.
Yeah, my brother had Cornell recruiting him. I remember him talking to them on the phone and he asked about scholarships....they could offer him a scholarship but they didn't give large ones. My brother had received a full ride from University of Wyoming....so he turned Cornell down. He got off the phone and was like "I can't believe I just told Cornell NO!! It's CORNELL!" But he couldn't justify going there when he had a full ride waiting for him somewhere else. If the goal is to get a degree, you might as well get it where you won't have to go into debt...sure, certain schools have a particular status that goes with it, but you don't NEED it. And, like you said, better to be at the top of a smaller school than middle of the pack or lower at an Ivy League. I don't think the education you get at an Ivy League school is THAT much better than a regular University...you are paying for the name.

Songbird76

Preschool is required here and is free. It was also free but not required when I was a kid; but we were in the middle of a move and my parents didn't send me.
Really? I've never heard of free preschool, but that's awesome! It isn't required here, but the city pays for it, so we figured, why not? Socialize them, get them used to structured learning, and give mommy a bit of a break! But, I've never heard of it being free in the US!

wdwfan4ver

No, I don't know what made him step away from posting, for the most part. Heard at one point that he might do a blog or something, but no news on that at all either. Not being an insider, I have no scoop on what went down with him. I do check his thread a few times a week with the all new crowd in there, hoping he'll pop in again at some point. I also miss PhotoDave up in N&R. Think those guys and a few others have just moved on .
I actually saw 2 posts by WDW1974 last week. Once in a while he posts on Tom Bricker's Disney website on the articles Tom posts. Tom's website is called Disney Tourist Blog. I go to Tom Bricker's website once in while although I don't comment on Tom's site.

Last edited:

21stamps

Yeah, my brother had Cornell recruiting him. I remember him talking to them on the phone and he asked about scholarships....they could offer him a scholarship but they didn't give large ones. My brother had received a full ride from University of Wyoming....so he turned Cornell down. He got off the phone and was like "I can't believe I just told Cornell NO!! It's CORNELL!" But he couldn't justify going there when he had a full ride waiting for him somewhere else. If the goal is to get a degree, you might as well get it where you won't have to go into debt...sure, certain schools have a particular status that goes with it, but you don't NEED it. And, like you said, better to be at the top of a smaller school than middle of the pack or lower at an Ivy League. I don't think the education you get at an Ivy League school is THAT much better than a regular University...you are paying for the name.
I think the stress is a big part of it for a lot of prospective students. School is stressful enough, does someone want to add the pressure that Ivy League brings?
I think for many people, it’s just not worth the environment, especially when they wouldn’t stand out as much as they would elsewhere, with less stress.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
He fought through cancer in his mouth and throat area last year. His dentist first noticed it and he wasn't a smoker or tobacco user. Around Thanksgiving this year things were going well, and then less than a month ago he started feeling out of sorts and went back in. He was set to do intensive treatments starting this week, I believe. He was about 38 years old and had a lovely 3 year daughter. It is just so sad.

Hubs is dealing ok with it, but he didn't sleep much and I didn't sleep much worrying about him. We will probably have to miss the funeral, which Brad is pretty upset about. The funeral hasn't been announced yet but we are assuming it will be Saturday and we will be on our way to WDW that day. I really hope for hubs sake the funeral is on Friday. I won't be able to with him because it was announced a week ago that we don't have any subs for that day but at least he could go.

Condolences to Brad and you, on the loss of your friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom