The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

I'm glad I was born when I was. I got to be a kid. No stress or worries, just play with my friends. Use my red wagon like it was a car and made roads that I would drive across country in. Play baseball with my friends in the field next door. Float around in the little wading pool my parents bought, watch the Mickey Mouse Club with my early love, Annette singing for me and then watching Superman save the world while munching on a fluffernutter. Of course, before that I would sit at the table and use my coloring book while listening to the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet on the radio. Go outside and with a couple of wooden planks and a small sawhorse create my own store complete with cash register. In other words I had a childhood not an adult competition to have the smartest child ever. Will today's kids end up more successful financially then I ever did? Chances are pretty good that they will. It's to bad they missed out on all the joys of being a kid for awhile before being thrust into competition and pressure to learn everything.

I have no way of knowing which was the best way to go and that will probably not show up until after I am taking that dirt nap, but, I still am glad that I got to be that kid. I loved the 50's. They were, in spite of being the cold war time, very fun for me.
I’m so glad that I’m a “young” GenXer I forget the specific term we’re called “Oregon Trail Generation” I think.. we’re some of the last ones to experience that kind of childhood. I would never trade my evening of Kick the Can, or parents’ rule of “come home when the street lights come on”, riding my bike around the neighborhood, to the candy store, and showing up at friend’s houses without our parents scheduling a play date.. Kids today have awesome technology, indoor play places, etc...but I definitely wouldn’t trade my childhood for it.
I think I’m getting old.. because I share the same sentiments as you do, it makes me a bit sad for the current generation of kids.

MySmallWorldof4

Nice!! I have such fond memories of the south shore and the Wildwood piers.. my siblings and I still joke about “watch the tram car” at least a few times per year.lol. Not sure if the trams still repeat that over and over.

If you have to go there, stay somewhere else. We always stayed in Cape May..Our house was so quaint and cute, on the water...we’d fish off the dock, swim, and I vividly remember being worried that people in airplane could see me while I was in the outdoor shower without a ceiling :hilarious:
Most of those houses have been torn down now to build more modern ones, or condo buildings. I hate seeing the photos. I think that’s why I’m hesitant to go back.
Ugh, hated the "Watch the tram car". :banghead::banghead:

MySmallWorldof4

Oh, @MySmallWorldof4 , I haven’t technically vacationed in Hilton Head since the 80s, but I did go for 2 nights for a wedding there about 9 years ago. Haven’t been to Myrtle Beach since the early 90s, my parents took T there for a week this past summer. He enjoyed it!

As far as the east coast (excluding Florida) I spent a lot of time in the Outer Banks, NC as an adult. I haven’t taken T there, we’ll make it eventually. A dream of mine is to own a summer home in Kitty Hawk or Nags Head someday.. such a beautiful part of the country.. I loved it because it wasn’t as commercial as a lot of other spots, but unfortunately that appears to be changing as well.
If only Work didn’t get in the way of travel. ;) Too many places to go, too little time.
That is why we love Hilton Head. It is not too commercialized and they have strict building codes. Amelia Island is beautiful as well. We were there just once, but loved it.

StarWarsGirl

I just wonder how they accepted her if she lacks the basic computational skills needed for your position. :|
I think what happens with my role is that they get desperate for someone to be in the role that instead of taking their time and finding the right person, they rush and end up with someone subpar. There were two people who they hired before they found me. One they fired after three weeks, and the other quit after three days.

We gave this girl a pretty simple assignment with PowerPoint, and she didn't do that too well. I had to go back and reformat. Ugh. Maybe she'll be better tomorrow.

MySmallWorldof4

I'm glad I was born when I was. I got to be a kid. No stress or worries, just play with my friends. Use my red wagon like it was a car and made roads that I would drive across country in. Play baseball with my friends in the field next door. Float around in the little wading pool my parents bought, watch the Mickey Mouse Club with my early love, Annette singing for me and then watching Superman save the world while munching on a fluffernutter. Of course, before that I would sit at the table and use my coloring book while listening to the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet on the radio. Go outside and with a couple of wooden planks and a small sawhorse create my own store complete with cash register. In other words I had a childhood not an adult competition to have the smartest child ever. Will today's kids end up more successful financially then I ever did? Chances are pretty good that they will. It's to bad they missed out on all the joys of being a kid for awhile before being thrust into competition and pressure to learn everything.

I have no way of knowing which was the best way to go and that will probably not show up until after I am taking that dirt nap, but, I still am glad that I got to be that kid. I loved the 50's. They were, in spite of being the cold war time, very fun for me.
I think you grew up during a great time. I think kids had more time to use their imaginations. Actually dh and I were talking the other day. Over 100 and 200 years ago we had some of the greatest inventions created. There were no computers and kids weren't going to fancy schools. They were not bogged down on computers and homework and television. They were able to create because they had few distractions. Think of all the great things Da Vinci came up with that were centuries ahead of his time, or Jules Verne. Einstein, Ben Franklin. So many ideas. We had great thinkers with minimal education per today's standards. They had time to just read great books from the time of the Romans and Greeks, and scholars of their time. They were way more eloquent than people today. The Declaration of Independence is a great example of eloquence. Today's kids need it broken down into words they can understand. And since many don't learn cursive anymore, need it deciphered.:rolleyes:

21stamps

They were way more eloquent than people today.

This. It’s amazing to read historical letters, just written from one person to another. Their vocabulary was more extensive than most people’s today, their eloquence especially.

I’ve thought about this a lot. They were so talented at different things, they were so educated, because they were so well read.. they had time to invent, to learn the piano, to play the piano, they had time for so much creative play.. their days weren’t spent in front of an electronic device.

In some ways we’ve come so far, but in other ways we’re actually behind what previous time periods were, imo.

Of course, on the flip side, there were a large amount of people who were barely educated at all..and at least we don’t have that as much now.

Goofyernmost

I think you grew up during a great time. I think kids had more time to use their imaginations. Actually dh and I were talking the other day. Over 100 and 200 years ago we had some of the greatest inventions created. There were no computers and kids weren't going to fancy schools. They were not bogged down on computers and homework and television. They were able to create because they had few distractions. Think of all the great things Da Vinci came up with that were centuries ahead of his time, or Jules Verne. Einstein, Ben Franklin. So many ideas. We had great thinkers with minimal education per today's standards. They had time to just read great books from the time of the Romans and Greeks, and scholars of their time. They were way more eloquent than people today. The Declaration of Independence is a great example of eloquence. Today's kids need it broken down into words they can understand. And since many don't learn cursive anymore, need it deciphered.:rolleyes:
Even though I cannot agree with you more, I have to admit to being a little shocked :jawdrop: about the comparison of linking my childhood with DaVinci, Jules Verne or Ben Franklin. :(:confused::eek:o_O;) Einstein is at least closer. :joyfull:

Last edited:

MouseDreaming

Ok, so you know how we were all discussing whining earlier this week and I mentioned that Dutch parents weren't as helicoptory as American parents? I present to you exhibit A, also known as complete idiocy:
View attachment 268178

This little 3 or 4 year old was allowed to ride his bike through the grocery store today. The first time I saw him, he was with his dad...he almost ran me over, along with another couple..I jumped out of the way, he swerved to miss the couple, but swerved TOWARD me, so I had to jump back even further. His dad just chuckled and told him not to go too fast. When I took this picture, as you can see, dad was nowhere in sight. I mentioned it to the checkout girl as I didn't see any managerial staff today...there HAD to be someone, but I didn't see them. But I told the girl about it because he could have hit someone....it was lucky I'm mobile enough to get out of the way. Someone elderly or on crutches would not have been able to. But also, what if he had been swerving to miss someone and ran into the shelves and knocked a bunch of stuff off? What if he were in the chip aisle, which is across from the wine, and he knocked a bunch of wine bottles down onto himself and ended up in a puddle of wine with glass embedded in his body? It's an incredibly bad idea to be riding a bike in a grocery store! But the father apparently saw nothing wrong with it. I see this happen a lot....not usually with bikes, but I do see kids allowed to ride on roller skates in the store, or who are pushing one of the mini carts they have, but they keep running into people with them. My rule with those mini carts was, if you can't push it nicely, it goes away....no running, and if you hit someone, it's end game. I certainly wouldn't have allowed my kid to ride their bikes, or a skateboard, or any of the multitudes of other things I've seen. But in the states, the store employees would have let the bike in the door. Here, no one says a thing.
Wow!:jawdrop:

MySmallWorldof4

This. It’s amazing to read historical letters, just written from one person to another. Their vocabulary was more extensive than most people’s today, their eloquence especially.

I’ve thought about this a lot. They were so talented at different things, they were so educated, because they were so well read.. they had time to invent, to learn the piano, to play the piano, they had time for so much creative play.. their days weren’t spent in front of an electronic device.

In some ways we’ve come so far, but in other ways we’re actually behind what previous time periods were, imo.

Of course, on the flip side, there were a large amount of people who were barely educated at all..and at least we don’t have that as much now.
Yes. Bring Thomas Jefferson back and he could talk rings around politicians of today. ;)

Figgy1

Of the three things you mentioned spinach is the only one I ever heard of. Are the other two recently invented words describing tree leaves of some kind. Spinach is OK as long as it comes with meat and it is just the balance diet veggie contribution to a meal (plus you're tough to the finish cause you eats your spinach). Those other two would easily go with groundhog.:);)
I've been eating all of them since I was a kid. How old are you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom