The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I saw this article online earlier in the week, Lou mentions a lot of good places! :)
It was a nice article. Springboarding off a discussion earlier this week a couple of us on this thread played on Lou's Discussion forum for many years until Lou let it go for bigger and better things for himself. He is a man that loves his food and is blessed by being anointed by Disney. While he does write very eloquently I have never seen him write of any food he has not adored, went to restaurant that wasn't perfect. While the picks he did choose for People are mostly awesome in their own right I do wrestle more with his reviews over less blessed that are my true standby reviewers,my go to ones. But the food photo were awesome to look at. No way am I paying $40 for dessert, wonder if he did?

Have a good dinner! Will we get some pictures?:happy:

We met up with some friends at an awesome Japanese/Chinese Restaurant.
o.jpg

I did indulge in the glass of wine that was suggested by someone ;), we ordered a bottle and it was one of the best Rieslings I have had in a long while. Reminded me of Epcot Germany of years gone by.
o.jpg

o.jpg

Dragon Roll and Spring Rolls
o.jpg

Peppered Garlic Beef, portion enough for a family. A bit on the sweet side over savory.
o.jpg

Fried Rice a given but very tasty again enough for a full family
Not everyone does Mongolian Beef correctly. Some are served almost with a gravy vs a glaze brazing to the meat itself. Was done so well.
convert

The fortune cookies were the only disappointment, keep in mind I never eat those cookies, nasty. But I have to say these were the oddest fortunes. The words were in English however the fortunes made no sense. Wasn't like we were not getting it but whoever translated....well lets say it was like pick 5 words from the English language and done. Genuinely no sense, it was so funny.
fotolia_2337243_XS.jpg

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Littlest dd had a birthday party to go to at a local arcade/climbing jungle thing/batting cage place. I hate it there. It is at least 30 years old and probably saw its better days 20 years ago. It needs a major renovation. There were 2 other parties going on so there were kids everywhere. Dd was walking with a cupcake to a table I was at and she got sideswiped by a boy who was a head taller and probably twice her weight. She didn’t see him coming. Her poor head hit the ground. Of course he didn’t say sorry. He ran off. I just carried her to the table. Another mom got her an ice pack and they replaced the cupcake. I knew she would survive though when 10 minutes later she asked if her friend was going to open her presents there or at her house.

OMG. That's so terrifying!! I'm so glad she's okay!!

Gabe1

Okay for those who wanted to see the princess room in all its glory.... Here's how i painted gender neutral room before...
View attachment 267915

And here's how the princess room looks now (which definitely fits her personality better)...

View attachment 267916
View attachment 267917
View attachment 267918
View attachment 267919

Of course some photos had to be included from our trip to Disney...
View attachment 267920

And here's the royal Highness herself...
View attachment 267921

You cannot tell from the pictures but that pink wall is glittery and sparkly. It's too subtle to show up in the photos though.

*** APPLAUSE *** How awesome!!! And A looks very happy about her Princess Suite.

Funny, in the photos I was trying to spy the sparkle wall, noted to ask and then the very last sentence. :geek:
I adore how all of her Princess Dresses are lined up in her closet.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It was a nice article. Springboarding off a discussion earlier this week a couple of us on this thread played on Lou's Discussion forum for many years until Lou let it go for bigger and better things for himself. He is a man that loves his food and is blessed by being anointed by Disney. While he does write very eloquently I have never seen him write of any food he has not adored, went to restaurant that wasn't perfect. While the picks he did choose for People are mostly awesome in their own right I do wrestle more with his reviews over less blessed that are my true standby reviewers,my go to ones. But the food photo were awesome to look at. No way am I paying $40 for dessert, wonder if he did?

We met up with some friends at an awesome Japanese/Chinese Restaurant.
o.jpg

I did indulge in the glass of wine that was suggested by someone ;), we ordered a bottle and it was one of the best Rieslings I have had in a long while. Reminded me of Epcot Germany of years gone by.
o.jpg

o.jpg

Dragon Roll and Spring Rolls
o.jpg

Peppered Garlic Beef, portion enough for a family. A bit on the sweet side over savory.
o.jpg

Fried Rice a given but very tasty again enough for a full family
Not everyone does Mongolian Beef correctly. Some are served almost with a gravy vs a glaze brazing to the meat itself. Was done so well.
convert

The fortune cookies were the only disappointment, keep in mind I never eat those cookies, nasty. But I have to say these were the oddest fortunes. The words were in English however the fortunes made no sense. Wasn't like we were not getting it but whoever translated....well lets say it was like pick 5 words from the English language and done. Genuinely no sense, it was so funny.
fotolia_2337243_XS.jpg

The food at that restaurant looks like it was really good. The garlic pepper beef really looked tasty. I too would want it more savory than sweet. I'm glad you had a pleasant night out. 😀 I'm not a fortune cookie fan either, at least to eat. I do enjoy reading the fortune.

Gabe1

Littlest dd had a birthday party to go to at a local arcade/climbing jungle thing/batting cage place. I hate it there. It is at least 30 years old and probably saw its better days 20 years ago. It needs a major renovation. There were 2 other parties going on so there were kids everywhere. Dd was walking with a cupcake to a table I was at and she got sideswiped by a boy who was a head taller and probably twice her weight. She didn’t see him coming. Her poor head hit the ground. Of course he didn’t say sorry. He ran off. I just carried her to the table. Another mom got her an ice pack and they replaced the cupcake. I knew she would survive though when 10 minutes later she asked if her friend was going to open her presents there or at her house.

Poor thing. Hope she is ok. I always hated those places. Playland in a Petri Dish
th

Gabe1

The food at that restaurant looks like it was really good. The garlic pepper beef really looked tasty. I too would want it more savory than sweet. I'm glad you had a pleasant night out. 😀 I'm not a fortune cookie fan either, at least to eat. I do enjoy reading the fortune.

Thank you. Everything was so good. The Mongolian was the star though. However they season the beef/glaze was a bit different than I've had before and it was the best I ever had. Everything had a bit of a twist there on traditional foods, even the dipping sauce for the Spring Rolls. The garlic pepper beef was so good too, the meat chunks were huge an inch by an inch or a bit bigger. It made the meat inside very tender. Can't ever remember needing a knife for Asian food.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Thank you. Everything was so good. The Mongolian was the star though. However they season the beef/glaze was a bit different than I've had before and it was the best I ever had. Everything had a bit of a twist there on traditional foods, even the dipping sauce for the Spring Rolls. The garlic pepper beef was so good too, the meat chunks were huge an inch by an inch or a bit bigger. It made the meat inside very tender. Can't ever remember needing a knife for Asian food.

There was a place we used to go to in St Paul that was Mexican/Asian fusion. It was all really good, I was reminded of it when I read that your food had a twist. We would go there sometimes before hockey games but it was a bit longer of a walk to and from the area. We might have to check it out again soon.

Gabe1

The Terminix man that was here yesterday didn't do much. He placed two mouse traps virtually next to each other behind/near our back door. There's a huge separation between the door, and the floor, even with the door closed. Our house/door has shifted a whole lot due to construction, and huge trucks traveling down the streets nearby. There are also two holes/cracks nearby outside the back door. Not sure how mice are entering exactly, but after moving lots of stuff from under my back porch we found lots of evidence of mice. Mice Poop everywhere. I swept and vacuumed a lot yesterday. My grandson's cousin appeared just at the right time, and I put him to work. The area is less cluttered now, and I think the food source has been removed. Didn't think mice would eat grass seed, or I wouldn't have stored the 1/2 used bag where it was. My tenant is keeping her cats in because she's afraid they will touch the traps. The traps are one of those cardboard glue traps, and then another one with bait, but that's all enclosed. Do I feel better. No Not really. I walk around my house always looking. Even though technically the mouse was never up here. Did get upstairs, but the cats killed that one. I still think the cat/cats carried that one up there, or chased it, but they're not talking, so I don't know for sure.

Oy. I feel your pain. We had a detached garage back in the corner of the property. Man kittycorner behind us for awhile was a breeding ground for mice and other nocturnal creatures galore.

We learned too about grass seed that winter. We bought airtight smaller drums to keep stuff like that in, Rubbermaid tops don't keep mice out, the can wiggle between lid and container.

We didn't need a professional to deal though even though there were lots of mice by the time we discovered them in the winter. We put out decon boxes. Originally we bought the container of decon and put it in smaller containers like cream cheese containers.

Mice get thirsty so to make sure they would kick the 'ole bucket we also filled small containers of anti-freeze for the car (the kind that smells sweet to little critters and they warns will kill small animals) for them to drink if thirsty. It worked and worked well. Over the next 20 years we'd every few years see a dead mouse but never any evidence of them moving in. That decon was always in place there after as was the little dishes of antifreeze.

th
th

Gabe1

There was a place we used to go to in St Paul that was Mexican/Asian fusion. It was all really good, I was reminded of it when I read that your food had a twist. We would go there sometimes before hockey games but it was a bit longer of a walk to and from the area. We might have to check it out again soon.

I can see those two mixing well. Both seem to include those sweet chili sauces and ginger. I make pork carnitas and you are right kinda similar. :hungry:

donaldtoo

Hopefully they also have everything in their basement and garage stored in plastic tubs. But... The repair process for flooding can be lengthy if the damage is deep. I've seen houses condemned for flood damage, too.

About 15 or so years ago my folks were out of town at a class reunion in my moms hometown of Shiner, Texas. On that Saturday night I got a call from their next door neighbor . He said there were sheets of water running out of their garage and down the driveway. I hopped in my car and headed that way immediately. They live in the same neighborhood as we do 8/10s of a mile down the road and have always had a key with their permission, as they do to our home. I got there and sure enough sheets runnin' down the driveway. I opened the front door and stepped onto the raised tile entry and could hear a loud water spewing sound from the bonus room off the garage. I flipped on the entry light and saw that there was about 2 inches of water already on the floor. I was not standing in the water when I turned on the light. I made my way to the bonus room utility closet where the water was coming from. When I opened the louvered doors I was being sprayed directly in my face by a burst cold water line to the washer. I backed off for a second, held my breath, and then dove in to shut it off. After that, I was just standing there soaking wet and just agog...did this really just happen...?!?!?!
I had to hunt my folks down, as this was before they had a cell phone (heck, it was before we had cell phones, actually). I finally got ahold of an aunt and uncle that lived in moms hometown and they went to the reunion to get them and take them to their place so they could call me. They had planned on spending the night down there, of course, but headed home immediately. While they were on their way I called a company that pop knew the insurance would cover. They came out pretty quick.
Mom and pop were home a coupla' hours later (around midnight). Even only 2 inches of water is a mess. They lived on a concrete slab throughout the entire house, all the baseboards removed, 2 in. diameter holes drilled down low in all the sheetrock walls, and drying fans blowing for I can't even remember how long, but, it was a long time.
Just something you want to put behind you.
Never heard of anything like it anywhere before or since, but, all of us have used nothing but braided steel lines for all of our washer connections since.
2 inches was bad enough, I can't even imagine anything more.
Sincerest prayers to all the flood victims.

Gabe1

What kind of Daisies? My BIL's ex-wife's family has a Gerbera farm. That's their business...we're still on good terms with the family, though the ex is kind of...woohoo. I wonder if they also export seeds. Probably not, though.

Not a clue. They are sold by a US company but state seed origin Netherlands My guess is they import them from the Netherlands bulk. But the package of seeds are not traditional packaging. It is air tight and foil-ish inside similar to a moist hand-wipe or alcohol wipe packaging. I've never seen that here and I buy a lot of seed. What is awesome is the beautiful smell of this packet, it smells like a meadow. Can't recall seed ever being fragrant from a package.
Now we will see if they grow. :rolleyes:

Cesar R M

sounds like they imported bootleg style cookies that were mass translated using google lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom