The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

After numerous panic attacks, I am finally home!!!! They were like you can leave early. It's like I'll leave now but I don't want to seem to greedy.

First picture is the bridge I travel everyday. Picture not taken by me and bridge was closed. And second is my alternate route which I was stuck on the bridge freaking out for a good ten minutes waiting to get by. Might have been shorter but it felt longer. I need a drink. I only have beer....need something stronger.

View attachment 267755
View attachment 267757
That looks horrible, I am glad you made it home safe.

Figgy1

Premium Member
My school stayed open to the end of the traditional school day. The school district canceled all after school and evening events. The wind is really picking up. At 3:45PM I saw one wire dangling and flapping from a utility pole. Windshields are covered with slush. Driveways are still fine.
Thanks for asking.....and wishing all of you a safe and good night. :)
You too! I'm waiting to hear from a friend by Dix who has to work until 6.

Cesar R M

Sympathy like. Calmine lotion, pixie dust and {{HUGS}} from a nice safe distance. I'm afraid of the pox even after getting the shots
Hopefully this thing wont last, my doc gave me the heaviest meds because of the swollen side (her husband who is also a doc, had it near his eye and said it was very painful, no pain yet for me, but I'm definitively not waiting ). so yeah, going to artillery-shot this thing with meds.

12in12

I realize you addressed StarWars but I have for several years arranged for assistance at the airport for my Mom. She is 83 if you are interested?
Yes please. I tagged StarWarsgirl because I know she mentioned it awhile ago. The problem is my sister things it is a bad idea because I am traveling with my mom an can take care of her, I think it will help with my mom's anxiety and speed things up so less chance of my mom becoming upset. My sister also thinks the airline will mess it up and we will waste time waiting for the wheelchair etc.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
In my experience, sports becomes a way into college. Academic scholarships are few and far between, especially at state colleges. And it seems, a lot of families haven't really saved any money for the kids college fund. So for many families here, it seems sports scholarship, or community college. The high school doesn't help with that story. You should see the signing day news spreads my district puts out. Care to guess how many news items are about the academic scholarships, or the few in a very large district that get a full ride because of their academic accomplishments? That would be zero.

And you know what the kid has to do to qualify to play in that sport/activity? In a lot of sports, if you didn't start by the time you were in kindergarten, you missed the window. If it is something that just recently became popular, or they don't start until later, like lacrosse or volleyball, then you are paying thousands of dollars in off season to get your kid more experience, training,whatever. It is a small investment, though on the parents part, since the parent seems to know that their kid will get the full ride scholarship for college. Do they think the kid will do it professionally? Probably not. Do they think it will get their kid into a good school, and allow all parties to be debt free at the end of it? Yes.

It is amazing how much money is out there for for Sports especially at Big Ten Schools, big bucks. But Division 3 Universities actually have major money too out there for scholarships. My niece is at a very awesome small University in middle of no-where NY, their tuition is $52,000 a year rack rate. She knew what she was doing. No she never had the goal of being a professional Field Hockey Player she is Pre-med however getting the first 4 years taken care of frees up options for her pursuing her doctorate degree. These small private colleges often have endowment money galore. My DD was offered just shy of a full ride to Tulane, that school averages over a
2 Billion dollar endowment fund. Can't even wrap my brain around that. My DD attended University of IL-Champaign, (ranked about 25 in the US) they average in their foundation about 1.5 billion.

I so agree, it takes planning to tap into those resources. The average family can't put away $120,000 to $200,000 per child.

12in12

Thankfully, I was able to get home. My plan was to go to the library for a while, and then if it still wasn't clear, go to my friend's since she's near work and has an apartment.

My mom called 911 because no emergency vehicles could get to at least half a dozen houses, including ours, with that tree down, so they acted pretty quickly. She's shaken up. My mother and bad weather do not go together.
I'm glad you got home safe!

donaldtoo

Honestly, the goal is simple- what makes him happy.
That said, I did start him in sports at age 3, which at that time was strictly my decision. I’m a huge fan of sports, I played indoor soccer and sand volleyball until age 36 (I’d still play indoor if I had the time) I’ve had a wonderful experience with sports throughout my life, and I come from a very sports oriented immediate and extended family. Some of my first memories include playing in the dirt at my dad’s baseball games when I was a little kid. Ha ha.
It was important to my parents for myself and my siblings to play sports as well.. we could choose what we wanted to play, or dance or dive.. but they highly encouraged us to do something in school or out of school (we’re all athletic so it wasn’t a bad “forced”). Both of them ended up being our coaches at a few of our different school sports, each until we finished 8th grade.
I think that sports teach great life lessons from a young age.
To be clear- I don’t think sports are the only way, I’m just saying my view for my family.

From a very young age in sports I had to deal with hard work, setting goals, time management, commitment, team work, individual responsibility and accountability to myself, my coaches, and my team.. and sometimes- great disappointment, but other times- great reward. During it all, and as I continued to grow, I made wonderful relationships within my school, as everyone does, but also a closeness with kids and families outside of my school with the select soccer and diving. My diving coach was like a 3rd parent to me. My dad was my soccer coach, so he was my actual parent. ;)
I know that my sister felt the same about her gymnastic coach. My sister is now 34 and my dad still played golf with her old gymnastic coach up until last year when he passed away. My sister and I both had to travel for our main sport. Being in those intense situations, traveling with teammates and their families, made us all form a bond that has lasted even til today.

Regarding club sports - I would love for my child to have the same experience as myself and my sister had as I mentioned above. I would accept if he didn’t want to make that kind of commitment though, and I would never force him. I did let him tryout for baseball last year, but I did not let him tryout for soccer until this past October...even though he asked repeatedly.

So far he hasn’t met a sport that he doesn’t like, although I, as the mean Mom, have said “No” to hockey, and that will not change. He’s been begging for lacrosse for 2 years.. I have said “maybe later” to that. We’re a lacrosse family, at least the men, but logistically I can’t add that sport with 2 other spring sports right now.

Would I like him to get a college scholarship? Of course. But that’s not my motivation for sports. I believe in being well rounded, in formal education, sports, volunteering, other extracurricular activities. We aren’t a family who has much downtime, and I’m sure my kid may appear ‘over scheduled’ to strangers, but I’ve been overscheduled my whole life, so it’s just how I’m wired, and so far he thrives the same way I did.

Again, I’m not saying sports are the end all be all. I was also a Girl Scout (until 6th or 7th grade) and from 7th grade on I volunteered at local places a few hours per week(mandatory in high school), I was and still am an insatiable reader, and I try to push my son towards that more than I’ve ever had to push him in sports.lol.

So I guess this whole story of my background is just saying that- my parents never had dreams or goals of any of us becoming pro athletes or even getting college sports scholarships. My sister was on the national team, but they did not force her, and she retired at 17. They just wanted us to have fun, be active, and have as many experiences as possible.
That’s how I was raised, and that’s what I want for my son.

Interestingly, and I may have mentioned his before, my sister turned down a full ride (for soccer) to a Division 1 State university.. Although I think my dad almost had a heart attack after her reaction, he agreed and supported her with what she wanted for her future, and that school wouldn’t set her up the best way for her career goals. So she declined, and accepted entry into a school which doesn’t allow any academic scholarships for their athletes. Luckily she received a few scholarships thru her high school for college, at least that was some consolation. :hilarious:

I would do the same as my dad if I was ever in that position with my own son.

Being a good human, acadademics, and future career come first, but you can do that while playing sports, and/or any other extracurricular activities. :) The main thing that I want for him, is to never look back on his life and think “I wish I would have done.. or tried.. or experienced...”
With the exception of travel hockey, he’ll never experience that. :joyfull:

Thank you so much for taking the time to give a thoughtful and detailed response. This form of communication can be difficult enough as it is. I knew you wouldn't take offense or think I was being judgemental.
My curiosity was actually originally piqued by your initial post on the subject about you being so sad about it all at that point. That's all. That's what prompted me to ask. It had absolutely nothing remotely close to do with calling your parenting decisions into question.
I was genuinely curious as to the motivation behind it and if there was some sort of end goal, in your thinking about it. Again, that's all, no judgement. How that got all skewed as to me attacking you and your parenting, I have absolutely NO clue. :cyclops:
And, quite frankly, your response was what I was hoping to hear! All reasonable and honorable goals!
Unfortunately, not so much for too many families I grew up around. They wanted Dimaggio's and Pele's. Just nuts.

Myself, and all 3 of my younger sibs played organized sports. I started playing Little League Baseball at age 5. Pop was the coach of my first team. I played every position on the team, but, mostly pitcher.
After the second season, I moved up a notch to a different team and coach. Pop did not follow. I had two younger bros that he coached and moved up, too. We were never the coaches son favorites. If I was havin' a bad day on the mound, I was gone like everyone else.
My pop became very well known as a man of integrity from day one, and all of us children learned from it.
I remember 2 seasons (by this time I was already playing soccer in HS) he had a kiddo on his team that was just really not good, but, yet he loved baseball. The kiddo thought he would be benched the vast majority of the time like he had on a previous team. Nope, pop played him like every other kiddo. At one point, one of the parents of a "star" player on the team booed when my pop put that kiddo in. My pop called a time out and went into the stands to address this moron. My pop is only 5'-7" tall and this guy towered over him. Pop asked him... "Did his parents not pay the same amount of money as you did for your child to play baseball?!?!?! If you don't like it, take your child off this team!" Pop was ed. One thing for this clown to do this in private, but, a whole other thing to do it in public...sooo, pop let him have it right back in public...!!!!! :hilarious:
Good Lord, I love and respect my pop...!!! :inlove:
Anyway, we ended up playing baseball/softball and soccer for many years.
Myself and my next youngest bro attended school board meetings back in the day to get soccer into our school athletics program in HS. As a result, it was included beginning my junior year. I was a varsity starting defender on that team my junior and senior years.
I played baseball up until 14 and then fell in love with soccer! So much running and so much skill involved at the same time. I used to be able to juggle a soccer ball like a maniac (as well as a Hacky Sack)...!!!!! :happy:
I also played soccer and softball beyond HS in Austin city leagues, and played with my pop in an IBM soccer league for a few years when he worked there.

As far as our kiddos are concerned, DS played soccer for 3 seasons when he was really little. He has Aspurger's and is in the autism spectrum. He mostly played goalkeeper, and was amazingly fearless. His job was to go get the ball and keep it from getting in the goal. I can't remember how many times we thought he would get his face kicked in!
Funny thing is, the only time that ever came close to happening was when he was playing defense and he tripped forward just as an opponent was kicking the ball...the opponent accidentally kicked him square between his nose and upper lip...!!!!! :in pain:
A gasp from the crowd...!
Amazingly enough, there was no crying, no blood, no missing teeth, etc. Woof! But, if you would have seen it...!!!!! :in pain:

Our DDs were never really interested in sports, but we spent many years with them involved in Girl Scouts and HS choir. We spent a combined decade selling as much as 1500 plus boxes of GS cookies a season, and working University of Texas concessions (everything from 10-hour stints at home football games, to basketball games, to concerts, etc.) to earn money for their choir trips.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter what a loving family does to make it all work for them, it's the love and respect that count...! :happy:

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond in the way you did. It was classy, and much appreciated!
Also, a very sincere best of luck to you and your son that all goes well with all of that...!!!!!!!😃

Songbird76

Go to the Netherlands, you would be very average height for a woman. I am 5.8 (1.75cm) and a bit short around a lot of younger Dutch people.
So true...I'm considered pretty short here at 5'5 and 3/4" I think DD is going to pass me, thank goodness. My husband is 6'2", my brother is 6'4", my husband's brother is also 6'4" so there's height on both sides of the family...it just skipped me. But hopefully my kids will get the tall gene. DD is one of the tallest girls in her class, and she's not a WHOLE lot shorter than I am.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yes please. I tagged StarWarsgirl because I know she mentioned it awhile ago. The problem is my sister things it is a bad idea because I am traveling with my mom an can take care of her, I think it will help with my mom's anxiety and speed things up so less chance of my mom becoming upset. My sister also thinks the airline will mess it up and we will waste time waiting for the wheelchair etc.

My job when I worked at Ohare was 'special services' for passengers so my experience is more from this side of the pond. I do flag her ticket as requesting a wheelchair which is often a version of a golf cart depending on the airline and length of the concourse. I do this if I am travelling with my Mom or not. My my over the last 5 years has become overly anxious about anything out of her routine. We check her bag (one less thing for her to fret about and worth the $25 just for that) They pick her up at the check in counter. They take her to security. The special needs passengers here are taken through as a priority. They take her to the gate and notify the gate agent that she is special assistance. They put her on the plane before any general boarding, take her to her seat, help her store her carry on belongings. Upon landing the attendant notifies her they will take her off last. She is picked up again by special services in a wheelchair and taken to baggage claim and we are on our way or my Sister then meets her down there.

This works out so well for my Mom and her anxiety. We started doing this after one trip about 5 years ago when her flight kept changing gates and then was cancelled. She was so overwhelmed, melted down. They rebooked her on another flight but several terminals away, Ohare is huge and not well thought out. A real good ticket agent calmed her, ordered a wheelchair and got her to where she was going. My Mom really enjoys vacations once she is on them it is just the travel itself that wears on her. Both my Sis and I want her to keep traveling with us despite her being a handful stress wise during the travel hours. I really am a fan of special services it tones down the stress. The upside is we get to take her along on many vacations instead of her just remaining at home. In 2 weeks she will go the Florida Keys which is a lot of plane changes which she has done before this way. Chicago to Cleveland, Cleveland to Miami and Miami to the FL Keys.

Any other questions just ask. It is so kind of you to take Grandma along. My kids are very accustomed to me pushing my folks to go with us over the years and Grandma has lots of happy memories being included.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom