The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

FutureCEO

After numerous panic attacks, I am finally home!!!! They were like you can leave early. It's like I'll leave now but I don't want to seem to greedy.

First picture is the bridge I travel everyday. Picture not taken by me and bridge was closed. And second is my alternate route which I was stuck on the bridge freaking out for a good ten minutes waiting to get by. Might have been shorter but it felt longer. I need a drink. I only have beer....need something stronger.

1520021254951.png
1520021417565.png

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
After numerous panic attacks, I am finally home!!!! They were like you can early. It's like I'll leave now but I don't want to seem to greedy.

First picture is the bridge I travel everyday. Picture not taken by me and bridge was closed. And second is my alternate route which I was stuck on the bridge freaking out for a good ten minutes waiting to get by. Might have been shorter but it felt longer. I need a drink. I only have beer....need something stronger.

View attachment 267755
View attachment 267757

You deserve a drink! Glad you're home safe!

Figgy1

Premium Member
After numerous panic attacks, I am finally home!!!! They were like you can early. It's like I'll leave now but I don't want to seem to greedy.

View attachment 267755
View attachment 267757
Yikes glad you're safe! Enjoy your beer. I did a bit of @BuddyThomas storm prep a bit of rum, a small bottle of vodka and just a wee bit of wine:angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Because my dh must like to sleep in an unheated garage???? One was for my mom so I don't mind doing that one most of the time and everybody chips in to cover my expenses. A restaurant would be nice but between allergies and some medical issues finding one can be a bit of a carpshoot.

Hahaha! I understand it is nasty out your way. Must be a bit nippy in the garage! :joyfull: Fair given how HOT your kitchen is going to be.

Gabe1

After numerous panic attacks, I am finally home!!!! They were like you can leave early. It's like I'll leave now but I don't want to seem to greedy.

View attachment 267755
View attachment 267757

Oh my goodness. I bet you are stressed. We've been getting updates on east coast weather. Now seeing pictures the reports are not matching the visuals. Glad you're safe.

MouseDreaming

View attachment 267755
View attachment 267757
Glad you are home safe!

Gabe1

As far as the expectations, I can only speak for myself and what I have seen, but I vowed not to do that to my kids because my mother's expectations put too much pressure on me in school. When I came home with an A-, I was threatened that all of my extra-curriculars would be taken away if I didn't "get that grade up there where it belonged." It wasn't so much that my mom was trying to live vicariously, but I think in her case, she felt a certain amount of judgment as a single mom. We lived in a town where the majority of people worked for one of the coal mines and were more than comfortable financially. The majority were also LDS and married. Needless to say, we were outsiders....poor, divorced parents, Lutheran, and not coal miners. We didn't fit in, and I think my mom felt she had a reputation to uphold...she had to prove that just because her marriage didn't work, and she wasn't rich, didn't mean she was a bad mom and so we had to perform well to show everyone else that we were just as good as they were. We were told we didn't "have a real family" because my parents were divorced. My brother was gifted and never had to crack a book open, whereas I had to stay up late to get my homework done...it was a struggle for me. But I was expected to get good grades so no one could say my mom wasn't doing a good job. I don't regret the good grades, or the speech and debate trophies (I actually LOVED Speech and Debate), while I only played basketball to please my mom....I was not good at it. But I don't regret doing the things I did, I just wish my mom hadn't put so much pressure on me about it. Did it really matter in the long run that I got an A- in one class one quarter instead of an A? I would feel such anxiety on report card day....what if I had blanked on a math test? What about that one assignment that I got a B on....was that going to kill my GPA? I remember crying in 7th grade because I got a B+ in Science...I was afraid to take my report card home. My friends thought I was being a Drama Queen, but their parents all would have been THRILLED with a B+. And from what I saw of other parents....there was a dad who would go to his son's basketball games and shout insults at the kid. He was kicked out of more than one game. Then he'd come to the kid's band concert and sith with his arms folded and a scowl on his face....he didn't want to be there....band was beneath the likes of his kids. Parents who weren't proud of their kids unless their kid was the top athlete or top academic achiever. Sure, there were some who were proud of their kids when they did well, and were ok with it if they DIDN'T, but at least in my case, that didn't happen. If I didn't achieve, I was in trouble and there were consequences! I was supposed to do just as well as my brother did, but let him have the glory and not outshine him in any way that would make HIM feel bad, because he was "used to being better at things". (Yes, I have a lot of resentment about it) I don't think anyone ever noticed that pressure on me....I was just the kid who got good grades, was in every activity under the sun, a typical responsible high-achieving teen. But they didn't see what happened when I brought my report card home, or the time that I won the school speech contest and came in 2nd in the district...better than anyone from my school had ever done in districts...and my mom said "Well, it's not first." and I wasn't allowed to be proud of it, because my brother had competed in the school contest as well and I beat him, which would make him feel bad because he was used to being smarter than me. You might not notice, but I'm willing to bet there are lots of kids who are mostly doing the things they do to try to make their parents proud of them and not because they truly love what they are doing. Perhaps it's not the majority, but it probably happens more than you know about.

Good for you. And it goes to show ya that you don't have pressure kids. I find it beyond awesome what your daughter has achieved is the perfect example. *happy dance*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom