The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
@StarWarsGirl when you travel with your grandmother do you get airport assistance? I am wondering if it would be useful to get for my mother since she gets very stressed going to security etc.

I realize you addressed StarWars but I have for several years arranged for assistance at the airport for my Mom. She is 83 if you are interested?

Gabe1

So my mom sent me this...
View attachment 267756
Tree from our neighbor's house fell over and is now blocking the street and is in our driveway.

I'm not going home any time soon. And not by choice.

Yikes! Sure hope your Public Works Dept will at least come and clear the trunk out of the middle of the road.
Thank goodness a car or a person wasn't in the road when that one came down, roots and all.

MySmallWorldof4

In my experience, sports becomes a way into college. Academic scholarships are few and far between, especially at state colleges. And it seems, a lot of families haven't really saved any money for the kids college fund. So for many families here, it seems sports scholarship, or community college. The high school doesn't help with that story. You should see the signing day news spreads my district puts out. Care to guess how many news items are about the academic scholarships, or the few in a very large district that get a full ride because of their academic accomplishments? That would be zero.

And you know what the kid has to do to qualify to play in that sport/activity? In a lot of sports, if you didn't start by the time you were in kindergarten, you missed the window. If it is something that just recently became popular, or they don't start until later, like lacrosse or volleyball, then you are paying thousands of dollars in off season to get your kid more experience, training,whatever. It is a small investment, though on the parents part, since the parent seems to know that their kid will get the full ride scholarship for college. Do they think the kid will do it professionally? Probably not. Do they think it will get their kid into a good school, and allow all parties to be debt free at the end of it? Yes.
I agree with starting kids early in some sports. I started ds in gymnastics at 9 and the oldest dd was 12. One dd was 5. Youngest started at 24 months and the only reason I started her was because she constantly wanted to be upside down. She would also do backbends off my lap and i would flip her onto her feet. She loved it from day one and for a toddler, was the only kid who actually listened and paid attention. She is the only one who has truly excelled and at 4 they asked her to be on a prep cheer team because she was so focused at a young age. She still is very focused and of all the kids is the most competitive and goal oriented even at 7. All kids are different. I don’t push, I just have followed her lead. I do see cheer as a way for a possible scholarship in the future if she continues, especially since it is now going to be an Olympic sport. It has also been a great way to make friends and learn about teamwork.

Gabe1

The snow is up to the boys knees. Inside is good

I'm waiting for FedEx to come and pick up my weeks worth of documents. Went out to look at the little river and it still isn't all that little but it has moved close to its banks but it is still real high. I'll take that over all that snow?

Is it going to be July by the time your boys are on summer vacation?

SteveBrickNJ

@SteveBrickNJ how is it down your way? Hope everybody is safe.
My school stayed open to the end of the traditional school day. The school district canceled all after school and evening events. The wind is really picking up. At 3:45PM I saw one wire dangling and flapping from a utility pole. Windshields are covered with slush. Driveways are still fine.
Thanks for asking.....and wishing all of you a safe and good night. :)

StarWarsGirl

Yikes stay safe. What's your game plan until you can get home?
Thankfully, I was able to get home. My plan was to go to the library for a while, and then if it still wasn't clear, go to my friend's since she's near work and has an apartment.

My mom called 911 because no emergency vehicles could get to at least half a dozen houses, including ours, with that tree down, so they acted pretty quickly. She's shaken up. My mother and bad weather do not go together.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm waiting for FedEx to come and pick up my weeks worth of documents. Went out to look at the little river and it still isn't all that little but it has moved close to its banks but it is still real high. I'll take that over all that snow?

Is it going to be July by the time your boys are on summer vacation?
The evil side of me is screaming YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pool time with no kids:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: Reality I'd feel guilty doing that:banghead:

Cesar R M

After numerous panic attacks, I am finally home!!!! They were like you can leave early. It's like I'll leave now but I don't want to seem to greedy.

First picture is the bridge I travel everyday. Picture not taken by me and bridge was closed. And second is my alternate route which I was stuck on the bridge freaking out for a good ten minutes waiting to get by. Might have been shorter but it felt longer. I need a drink. I only have beer....need something stronger.

View attachment 267755
View attachment 267757
wow thats insane!
those are caused by the strong winds?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom