The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Oops, I haven't given up anything . . . :cautious:
You don’t have to! Sorry if it sounded like I was saying as much. That was not my intention I’m the slightest bit.

It’s just something that I do, and I’m glad that my son has taken such an interest this year.
The post was really less about Lent and more about giving/learning...and my Starbucks addiction being on a temporary hiatus ;)

My younger brother and I never received that type of money from the tooth fairy when we were kids. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was either was 50 cents or 75 cents per tooth.

Same, but back then I could actually buy something with 50 or 75 cents.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That is funny. My little one has lost her 2 bottom teeth and she has a few that are a little loose. The tooth fairy has given her $5 per tooth. That has been the going rate around here. She can pick out something cute at 5 Below with her Tooth Fairy money.

Wow! $5.00 a tooth . . . that's a pretty good haul. When I was a kid, I only got chump change . . . :cautious:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Jumping in here to say hello! I've been quietly following along. Trying to be a little more active here, and I FINALLY have trip planned for this year, so i'm getting super excited. :)

The Fort is fun at Christmas time. We had Christmas dinner at Hoop dee and was a Christmas show, so freak'n much fun. My family back then was young so it was a hit. Dragged (ha) my DS up on the stage to 'play' Rudolph in one skit.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I hope this post is ok here, but on the fund raising/donation subject.. we’re doing something really neat right now.. this is the first year that T has been old enough to really get into it.

For Lent, our school sends home a “rice bowl”.. the child has to put in a minimum of $1 per day for every day of Lent. They earn this money from us parents by doing chores, helping a neighbor, etc.

Besides the money though, it comes with a booklet of recipes/photos/descriptions, every week is a different country where we discuss the poverty/social issues in that country, and prepare meals from that country.

He’s really into it this year, the past years have just been “I need to put money in for the poor”.. but now he’s just as interested in the different cultures and their struggles.

It appears that this year’s overall theme has a lot to do with women’s struggles in some countries and also refugees. I thought it was a good year to discuss all of that, and I’m glad they chose those subjects for the theme.
(I should add- it’s not political at all, I hope it didn’t sound that way. The point is learning, empathy, help. It also breaks down exactly what $1 per day can do for people in some of these countries, and then we can make our own goal from there.)

That sounds like a really good way to meaningfully teach the children. Did they purchase a program to use for this or did someone develop the booklet on their own?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom