The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Sounds like that other kid needs some psychiatric counseling.
Oh he probably has that. You don't get into my son's school without having been tested for and diagnosed with Autism, severe ADHD, or Oppositional Defiant disorder. You can't get in without a diagnosis, and proof that the kid can't be in a regular school because they need help that a regular school can't offer. And DS's school has on site Psychological staff and various programs through the school for mental health issues. DS also has a psychologist that he sees regularly...I imagine this kid probably has gone through similar channels, but where DS was sped through the process because of the severity of his case, this boy has probably been waiting to be approved since before DS even applied. Someone I work with applied for her son to go to the high school (same school, different campus) and it took MONTHS to get his approval and he had a diagnosis already when he was 5 or 6. So knowing this kid who is now at the school with DS, I'm sure he was evaluated and required to get help to stay in school until he could be placed at DS's school. Heck, he could be one of the kids who was expelled for bullying DS. We know there was at least one other boy who was expelled, and the school wouldn't tell us WHO they were taking a closer look at, but there were a few boys who they were considering expulsion for because of the bullying...not just of DS, but many other kids as well. But this kid was definitely one of the big names we heard....the kid would walk down the hall right next to DS and continuously step on his feet and "pretend" he didn't see him, among other things. But he would have had to get counseling before they decided he couldn't be in a regular school, I'm sure.

FutureCEO

12in12

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep, and as I have been griping about, the hotel discounts this year stink so far. My pin code discount was no better than my AP discount, where last year the AP was better than the general discount. This year the Spring hotel discount was only 20% off for deluxe, and 15% for moderate. You used to get at least 30% for deluxe. I hate complaining about Disney as it is my happy place, but they are starting to make me mad

Sure I get it. Nothing is really discounted. Although back in the early 2000's, they had some nice discounts. The best was in '09 where they were offering a full package(tickets, room, and dining plan), buy 4 days get 3 free, or was it buy 5 days get 2 free? Regardless, they did offer some good deals in the past to get people into the parks. Now I guess they are so filled, that they think they can keep higher prices and people will just come. At some point, something has to give though.

I also recall far better discounts years ago. As others have pointed out, they've converted many more hotel rooms into DVC--which is cutting down the room inventory for non-DVC rooms. Hence (even more) inflated prices are being charged for a limited inventory. They're getting the money, so there's no incentive for them to stop inflating prices anytime soon.

I kinda threw my hands up in the air about 7 years ago, and now I stay at either Swan (Westin) or Dolphin (Sheraton), because they're both still on property. (Starwood manages both of them now for Marriott.) There's more opportunity to negotiate better rates with these 2 hotels, as they're constantly adjusting prices, depending upon demand. Also, they do a fair amount of convention/meeting business, and I wait for them to release block holds--and they drop the prices then to fill available rooms. That's when I go in for the kill. :p

Conversely, the WDW owned hotels tend to only have a few rate structures by season.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yup. They're making hay while the sun is shining now.

Had an elderly boss years ago. He'd tell us that when things are going great, people tend to think that's the way it will always be. But when things eventually turn in the other direction, people think that's the way it will always be. Yet, what goes up, will (eventually) come down, and vice versa. Lather, rinse, repeat -- he said he saw this over and over throughout his business life, and he was the CEO of a company.

If I didn't know better you'd think you were a stock broker. Been a dang yo-yo as of late.
Natives are getting restless it appears.

donaldtoo

Sounds a lot like here. I was surprised my road isn't under water, and neither were any that I pass on my way to take DD to school. The ducks and geese are enjoying the new lake across the street. And the sewers are pretty full of water, right now. Kind of worried about using water in the house that isn't necessary. Looks like we aren't done with it yet, though. I wish I could fast forward to about 3 AM when it should finally finish in an icy glory. (Heavy sigh)

And drivers, really. Not too difficult to slow down. Probably would have gotten wherever faster and safer.

Belated sympathy like.
Hope the weather is better by now!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I disagree. Their business model is to offer artificially inflated prices with discounts on top of that. Being on these boards for a year now, it is obvious that the majority of Disney goers are expecting some level of discounts on their trip (room, ticket, free dining, free upgrades, etc.). It's not just our entitled culture, it's the way their business model works. Aside from a few resorts/ sections of resorts, very few people expect to go to Disney and pay the full rack rate.

So really, their rack rate plus their discount is their base rate. Since their discount was lowered this year, their base rate was increased. That's a sneaky way of not raising the rack rate too much but still heavily raising the base rate.

Yep! You are going to be a very savvy student entering your MBA program even before your first class.

When do you start?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom