The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

That is funny! I was I guess 12 or so when that show came out? I watched it with my family and had a slight crush on Dirk Benedict. Speaking of here is another film we started letting my kids watch, Spaceballs. It went over quite well. Anyway, I didn't seem to be bothered by the violence in The A-Team. It definitely wasn’t as graphic and bloody like a lot of movies are now. I love Colin Firth and dh and I watched The Kingsman. That film was over the top bloody and violent. Too much for me.
I actually love the Kingsman movies, both are very over the top but so silly I can take the gruesomeness. I won't watch anything that is very cruel or doesn't end well.

12in12

Also an excellent movie about empowering yourself even if you are a "freak" to other's eyes.
Very true!

Where I’m standing is a parking lot.. there is a riverboat Landing at the end of it. It’s definitely not supposed to be flooded.

I just took this from google.. here is what those other photos normally look like-
It’s called the Serpentine Wall, but it’s under water right now. The photos from last night just show the very top step.
View attachment 265567

The below photo is the same area..it’s hard to see because of the dark, but only the top remains dry land.
View attachment 265568
Yikes, that is very high water.🤤

12in12

I never watched the show. No interest in the movie. My dd never mentioned it either. Sometimes dh thinks I am a little too strict with the kids and what they watch. He says they would hear and see a lot more if they were in a regular school. I reply, umm yeah, that was one of the reasons we homeschool right? :rolleyes:
I think it is better to be a bit too strict, what's the rush to expose kids to things. They have their whole adult lives to experience things but only such a short time to be innocent kids.

21stamps

Very true!

Yikes, that is very high water.🤤

Here’s a better comparison photo (credit Cincinnati Enquirer) Luckily where I live my house and street do not flood.. only baseball fields are under water. This is considered “minor/moderate flooding though”. Cincinnati has had much worse. More accurately, the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky/Indiana area. Between all of the rivers and streams it can get bad quickly.
AABBBAE4-B6F6-4D1E-9E42-86899BF8F956.jpeg

MOXOMUMD

My parents had us watching Rocky Horror Picture Show since I was around five years old. We also watched Pretty Woman and other inappropriate movies, and we watched The Simpsons a lot which our friends weren't allowed. I remember babysitting a friend's kids and print in a movie that was a childhood favorite is mine called Adventures in Babysitting thinking it would be a great movie because I loved it at their age. I had to turn it off after seven minutes because there had already been over twenty curse words :hilarious::hilarious:
Same here. I remember staying up late and watching Benny Hill on my little black and white tv and laughing my butt off. :joyfull: When I was 12 I stayed over at my friend's and her brother (who was 18) was supposed to watch us until the mom (a nurse) got home from the late shift. He and a buddy wanted to see a movie and had to take us and he sneaked us into Porky's. I still smile about that because he thought we'd be so embarrassed and shocked but we laughed the whole time. My dad just said I know the difference between right and wrong and let it go that we went.

21stamps

I never watched the show. No interest in the movie. My dd never mentioned it either. Sometimes dh thinks I am a little too strict with the kids and what they watch. He says they would hear and see a lot more if they were in a regular school. I reply, umm yeah, that was one of the reasons we homeschool right? :rolleyes:

I’m the same way, with the exception of Star Wars. I don’t know what kiddo is going to hear at school, but I don’t want him to be the one to say something inappropriate! I shield him from a lot, News and Movies/shows/media. I just want him to be an innocent kid for as long as possible.

MOXOMUMD

Guardians definitively is more for adult teens and higher than kids. Because it has a lot of sexual inuendos and double valued words (in the dirty way)

For adults, its hilarious.. for kids.. well.. Then remember even old series like Bugs bunny used to have some of that kind of content a lot.
Animaniacs too.
There is a very popular kids cartoon on Nick now (not Spongebob) that has a few adultish jokes. Every time one episode plays with a certain joke my daughter says "that sounds so wrong". Littler kids wouldn't think twice about it.

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member
Still plague infested. My poor mother is on antiobiotics now. She was taking care of me while being sick herself. And yes, I normally take care of myself when sick, but my parents confined me to my room for a few days, so she was having to do everything, including bringing me food. My brother has the cold and basically doesn't leave his room when he's home. Even my dad is sick. The man is never sick.

I'm back at the doctor for a follow up. My cough has been keeping my up at night even with prescription meds, and that's not good. The only way I've gotten to sleep is having Belle against my chest. Why that works is beyond me, but I get to coughing and she just crawls on top, and it calms down the cough enough so I can sleep.
Hope you feel better!

Songbird76

Stitch is a favorite around here as well. Here is a picture of ds at 8 months old on his first Disney trip in 2004. Stitch didn’t want to let him go. :)It was a memorable moment for me. I don’t think the characters are allowed to hold kids anymore.
View attachment 265347
Awww...really cute, but I think that would have freaked me out if a character didn't want to give my kid back!! When we went in 2010, DS was 2 and didn't want to get in any of the pictures without daddy. As much as he LOVED Princess Jasmine (she was his favorite and he even had a Princess Jasmine Barbie doll because he and DD fought over the one until we bought him his own), he would not take a picture with her without daddy. I can only imagine how I would feel if someone would not relinquish my child!! What did you do?

Goofyernmost

I must have very lenient parents because my brother was watching James Bond at 10. :hilarious: I don't care for James Bond, although if you force me to watch a James Bond movie, I'll watch The Spy Who Loved Me in a pinch. The Bond girl in that one is bad ***.

Mine didn't have too many strict rules. No PG-13 movies unless they were pre approved until I was about 12. By the time I was in high school, I knew enough to self censor, so there weren't any rules. I just knew they probably wouldn't be okay with R rated movies with lots of sex scenes. Other than that, they basically just let me choose entertainment for myself.

My mom even let me watch When Harry Met Sally at 13. There's just one particular scene that she skipped...:joyfull:

Keeping in mind I was a rather mature teen who didn't sneak around, so they didn't feel the need to censor my emtertainment. They just trusted me to be responsible.
Oh, SWG, you weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when this all happened. I'm trying to remember the name of the group of Church Ladies that ran an organization, that I think I remember being called the Legion of Decency. This was long before the G, PG, PG13, R and X was even thought of. Anyway the Catholic Church condemned 007 because of the violence, but, mostly the s e x. Bond girls were often scantally clad. I was basically a non-sneaker myself. But some things brought out the rebel in me. My parents weren't exactly snow white either, but, they did follow the dictates of the religion, within reason.

Songbird76

That was nice of you! Starting a school year on a birthday isn’t any fun.

I think I agree with you about the later start. Spring can be iffy weather wise, at least August is guaranteed to be warm enough to be outside.. and swimming!
Our first day of school was 8/24 this year, 12pm dismissal..I get it, unpacking and getting situated. Our last day of school is 6/1, 10am dismissal. I don’t even understand why the kids are going to school on that day.
Maybe they don't expect many to show up for the last day anyway, so they figure they let the kids who do show up out early? I remember when I was in elementary school, the last day was track and field day...blech. I hated track and field day. But in high school, half the kids skipped anyway, or parents pulled them out to start vacation early and avoid crowds and peak season travel rates. So maybe it's just a token day to fullfull the quota of days without actually having to do anything that day?

MOXOMUMD

I must have very lenient parents because my brother was watching James Bond at 10. :hilarious: I don't care for James Bond, although if you force me to watch a James Bond movie, I'll watch The Spy Who Loved Me in a pinch. The Bond girl in that one is bad ***.

Mine didn't have too many strict rules. No PG-13 movies unless they were pre approved until I was about 12. By the time I was in high school, I knew enough to self censor, so there weren't any rules. I just knew they probably wouldn't be okay with R rated movies with lots of sex scenes. Other than that, they basically just let me choose entertainment for myself.

My mom even let me watch When Harry Met Sally at 13. There's just one particular scene that she skipped...:joyfull:

Keeping in mind I was a rather mature teen who didn't sneak around, so they didn't feel the need to censor my emtertainment. They just trusted me to be responsible.
It's such a wide spectrum of parenting styles in the world today. I think it goes back to having an old soul child for me. When she was little she had no princess interest but could quote Indiana Jones movies as a kindergartener. The only rules I've ever really set was no "making babies" scenes in anything until your older. I have a sister that shielded her kid from everything and he grew up very naive about the world. She gives me grief because my daughter was four when she went to her first concert. We're total opposite parents even though we're family.

Cesar R M

Where I’m standing is a parking lot.. there is a riverboat Landing at the end of it. It’s definitely not supposed to be flooded.

I just took this from google.. here is what those other photos normally look like-
It’s called the Serpentine Wall, but it’s under water right now. The photos from last night just show the very top step.
View attachment 265567

The below photo is the same area..it’s hard to see because of the dark, but only the top remains dry land.
View attachment 265568
holy crap, thats a lot of water!

StarWarsGirl

Oh, SWG, you weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when this all happened. I'm trying to remember the name of the group of Church Ladies that ran an organization, that I think I remember being called the Legion of Decency. This was long before the G, PG, PG13, R and X was even thought of. Anyway the Catholic Church condemned 007 because of the violence, but, mostly the s e x. Bond girls were often scantally clad. I was basically a non-sneaker myself. But some things brought out the rebel in me. My parents weren't exactly snow white either, but, they did follow the dictates of the religion, within reason.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cesar R M

There is a very popular kids cartoon on Nick now (not Spongebob) that has a few adultish jokes. Every time one episode plays with a certain joke my daughter says "that sounds so wrong". Littler kids wouldn't think twice about it.
Really? what show? o_O

I do not watch those channels, just download episodes of shows I like from time to time (like TMNT)

Songbird76

No is should be fine, a little romance but nothing too racy. Topics such as racism is dealt with, but that could be a good educational discussion later.

And since you homeschool, you could make it a research assignment for them to research the real person and compare to the movie.
I would add that there are some intense scenes...like, a fire...it's pretty suspenseful. But I wouldn't say there's anything really inappropriate. It's mostly about prejudice...not just the racism, but also classism (rich vs. poor) and discrimination/persecution of people who were different. So the underlying message would actually be a great way to introduce those topics with your kids and discuss things like bullying. But some of it might be a bit suspenseful for at least the 7 year old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom