The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Oh, SWG, you weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when this all happened. I'm trying to remember the name of the group of Church Ladies that ran an organization, that I think I remember being called the Legion of Decency. This was long before the G, PG, PG13, R and X was even thought of. Anyway the Catholic Church condemned 007 because of the violence, but, mostly the s e x. Bond girls were often scantally clad. I was basically a non-sneaker myself. But some things brought out the rebel in me. My parents weren't exactly snow white either, but, they did follow the dictates of the religion, within reason.
Me a twinkle in someone's eye? My mother wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when Dr. No came out, and my dad was 2. Feelin' old? :hilarious:

Goofyernmost

Me a twinkle in someone's eye? My mother wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when Dr. No came out, and my dad was 2. Feelin' old? :hilarious:
At one point I had included your parents in that picture, but, I couldn't remember their ages so I took it out. To answer your question there isn't a minute anymore that I don't feel old. All I have to do is remember my YOUNGEST daughter is 42 years old.

21stamps

Maybe they don't expect many to show up for the last day anyway, so they figure they let the kids who do show up out early? I remember when I was in elementary school, the last day was track and field day...blech. I hated track and field day. But in high school, half the kids skipped anyway, or parents pulled them out to start vacation early and avoid crowds and peak season travel rates. So maybe it's just a token day to fullfull the quota of days without actually having to do anything that day?

Kiddo attends a private school so I don’t think it had anything to do with a quota, it’s typically an out of uniform day and they basically clean out their lockers/bins/go to church/have donuts/Say goodbye to the 8th graders. Some people do miss it for vacations, but outside of that everyone attends that I know of. 10am is just such an inconvenient dismissal time for working parents.

We have an “Olympic Day” in May.. kind of similar to a track and field day. Different stations of obstacle courses, relays, bike races, rope pulls. I think one of my son’s most proud days at school was when he was in first grade, his 8th grade “big sib” won a medal in each event.. it’s T’s goal to do the same at some point. Ha ha.

StarWarsGirl

At one point I had included your parents in that picture, but, I couldn't remember their ages so I took it out. To answer your question there isn't a minute anymore that I don't feel old. All I have to do is remember my YOUNGEST daughter is 42 years old.
They were born 1960 and 1966. So dad was around. Mom was not. Although he likes to add 10 years to her age...when he's going for punishment. :hilarious:

Songbird76

Honest question...is polio still even a thing...?!?!?!
I thought that stuff had been pretty much wiped out like small pox years ago. I, of course, still have my scar from that vaccination. Ultimately, I guess none of that stuff is really ever wiped out. It's just put down for a while and waiting in the wings. Not gonna' lose any sleep over it, though. Although, I really have no intention to leave anytime real soon, we're all gone eventually...!!!!! :hilarious:
I don't know about Polio, but I just saw something last week where a doctor was stressing how important it is to keep your kids' immunizations up and she mentioned that they thought Measles and Whooping cough were both pretty much gone, but then people stopped getting the vaccines for them and suddenly there was another surge, so they are doing those vaccines again. I know whooping cough was bad here about 10 years ago. My son was 3 weeks old and got sick, and was coughing...I couldn't get him to eat because he kept coughing. And he had a really high fever...he was too young for the vaccine. But then, my MIL had been coughing, so we figured he got it from her, and then it turned out that her Sister-in-law had been over a week or so before and she had whooping cough, so my MIL had been exposed, which meant my 3 week old baby had been exposed as well. My nephew was 2, his doctor gave him meds as a precaution because he had been exposed, but our doctor wouldn't even take a look at DS. He just said babies get higher fevers than adults, and his cough didn't sound like a whooping cough over the phone in the background, so no, he was probably fine. DH made a nuissance of himself calling back until we got meds for both the kids. They never did test them to see if they had it, but at least we got the antibiotics. But whooping cough has certainly made the rounds here in the last 10 years. I don't know if ANY of these diseases are necessarily ever gone gone.

21stamps

I don't know about Polio, but I just saw something last week where a doctor was stressing how important it is to keep your kids' immunizations up and she mentioned that they thought Measles and Whooping cough were both pretty much gone, but then people stopped getting the vaccines for them and suddenly there was another surge, so they are doing those vaccines again. I know whooping cough was bad here about 10 years ago. My son was 3 weeks old and got sick, and was coughing...I couldn't get him to eat because he kept coughing. And he had a really high fever...he was too young for the vaccine. But then, my MIL had been coughing, so we figured he got it from her, and then it turned out that her Sister-in-law had been over a week or so before and she had whooping cough, so my MIL had been exposed, which meant my 3 week old baby had been exposed as well. My nephew was 2, his doctor gave him meds as a precaution because he had been exposed, but our doctor wouldn't even take a look at DS. He just said babies get higher fevers than adults, and his cough didn't sound like a whooping cough over the phone in the background, so no, he was probably fine. DH made a nuissance of himself calling back until we got meds for both the kids. They never did test them to see if they had it, but at least we got the antibiotics. But whooping cough has certainly made the rounds here in the last 10 years. I don't know if ANY of these diseases are necessarily ever gone gone.

I remember when my son was an infant, I felt like there was a whooping cough commercial every 5 minutes on TV! It would frighten me every time he coughed.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It has always been fun doing things with my niece. So is up for anything and willing to eat anything. She always says her favorite part of visiting is just being with us. Since we don't have any kids of our own she has been like the grandkids we will never have. She is 13 so maybe she won't want to hang out with us as she gets further into her teen years, but I hope she still wants to hang with us.

Hope so. If you are the cool aunt and uncle she may continue to want to come. It does get harder though in high school with activities and sports, worse likely if she has a job in a few years. Even if the visits slack off for a few years that bond will likely rekindle since there seems to be quite the bond between the three of ya.

My niece is just a different type of kid. She reminds me of a kid that spent her life in boarding school but never did though she went to one of the best private schools in Ohio that does open many doors unto itself. But she is kinda detached if you know what I mean. Even with group family talk happening she will chime in but I can see her eyes move from person to person as they talk absorbing and judging in her own head. She from and infant would be here for a month at a time, often spent the holidays with us. This went on until she could stay home alone while her parents were at work. She is a junior in college, pre-med. She is awaiting to find out of her research is going to be published which will likely seal the deal she will go onto med school.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Whooping cough isn't gone. My niece caught it in the hospital. Touch and go if she would live or die.

Disneyland had an outbreak of measles hitting infants to elderly. At that time measles were also in 10 states.

Polio cases are more in the mid eastern countries. Need for that vaccinations would depend if travel to and from there or from there to here.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Still plague infested. My poor mother is on antiobiotics now. She was taking care of me while being sick herself. And yes, I normally take care of myself when sick, but my parents confined me to my room for a few days, so she was having to do everything, including bringing me food. My brother has the cold and basically doesn't leave his room when he's home. Even my dad is sick. The man is never sick.

I'm back at the doctor for a follow up. My cough has been keeping my up at night even with prescription meds, and that's not good. The only way I've gotten to sleep is having Belle against my chest. Why that works is beyond me, but I get to coughing and she just crawls on top, and it calms down the cough enough so I can sleep.
Sympathy like

Figgy1

Premium Member
That is funny! I was I guess 12 or so when that show came out? I watched it with my family and had a slight crush on Dirk Benedict. Speaking of here is another film we started letting my kids watch, Spaceballs. It went over quite well. Anyway, I didn't seem to be bothered by the violence in The A-Team. It definitely wasn’t as graphic and bloody like a lot of movies are now. I love Colin Firth and dh and I watched The Kingsman. That film was over the top bloody and violent. Too much for me.
I named a crazy kitten Murdoch once. That was pre Barclay

Figgy1

Premium Member
My parents had us watching Rocky Horror Picture Show since I was around five years old. We also watched Pretty Woman and other inappropriate movies, and we watched The Simpsons a lot which our friends weren't allowed. I remember babysitting a friend's kids and print in a movie that was a childhood favorite is mine called Adventures in Babysitting thinking it would be a great movie because I loved it at their age. I had to turn it off after seven minutes because there had already been over twenty curse words :hilarious::hilarious:
James has been watching Star trek since he was born. Enterprise started just after he was born.

Songbird76

There is a very popular kids cartoon on Nick now (not Spongebob) that has a few adultish jokes. Every time one episode plays with a certain joke my daughter says "that sounds so wrong". Littler kids wouldn't think twice about it.
What's that? I think I'm kind of lucky with my kids...DD is incredibly mature for her age, so she's really not into cartoons or anything. She spends most of her free time looking up DIY craft videos (she just made her own Hermione wand out of a chopstick, and a unicorn horn) or google translate sings. (She particularly loves Ed Sheeran's shape of you google translate version, and Mary Poppins medley). I don't have to worry too much about her because she self-restricts. And DS is so IMMATURE for his age that he's into stuff that most kids his age wouldn't watch anymore. He likes some cartoon with little bug-like creatures who race some sort of vehicle and there's always someone who doesn't play fair and there's a whole moral to the story. I can't remember the name of it, but it's more for 5-6 year olds and he loves it. He still gets appalled if Daddy says a swear word, so I'm not too worried. Neither of them have ever watched much Nick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom