The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Mine is not lukewarm about Disney--he has no interest whatsoever. That's why I do solo!! :D

Sympathy like.
My DWifey is definitely a Disney fan! We both knew that about each other before we were ever married!
She loves the Magic and the experience, as do I, but, I also love the nitty-gritty of the history...everything from Animation to Zurg..!!!!! :joyfull: :geek:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Agreed!! We pinched pennies for our wedding and took an extravagant honeymoon backpacking in Patagonia. We had so much fun at our wedding, but even more on our honeymoon!

I spent a boatload on my wedding-I paid for it, found the receipts for all that last month in a shoe box. It was kinda a wash, the gifts more than covered the wedding and the honeymoon with leftovers. I can't say I enjoyed my wedding 103 degrees in an unairconditioned church who could have fun with that. The reception was fun besides my MIL pout fest long face, which I ignored.

Now the fun we had in Cali and at Disneyland I view as my reward for my poor judgement in not eloping. So much fun was had. My Goofy baseball hat blowing in the wind while riding in the convertible I had rented for Southern Cali weather in the summer. Good times.

Cesar R M

Got distracted and forgot to reply to this one last night...

On our cruise last month we were told you could take either your drivers license/state ID or your passport, or both, with you to get on and off the ship at our ports of call. We chose to leave our drivers licenses in the cabin safe and take our passports 'cause DWifey wanted us to get our passports stamped. Funny thing is, all they ever wanted to see was our room key/cards. :cyclops: They had a crew member before the checkpoint telling everyone to get their room keys out all 3 times off the ship and all 3 times back on.

Going through customs to get on the ship was considerably more time-consuming. There was a lot of keyboarding going on.
Going through customs to get back in the US was a bit different.
There were, IIRC, 6-8 lines. They split us up into groups of two and sent us to 3 different lines. Oldest DD and SonIL in one, DWifey and youngest DD in one, and myself and DS in the other.
Our line (DS and myself, of course) moved the slowest! :hilarious: We were still about 8 pairings/groups back when Oldest DD and SonIL and oldest DD got through, and DWifey and youngest DD were about 4 back. DS and I finally were next in line, and then the real fun happened...
The lady in the group right in front of us was being quietly scrutinized up one side and down the other.
This, for some reason, took no less than 10 minutes. :bored:
So I'm thinkin' "What might they put us through?!" :cyclops:
It was finally our turn...
We presented our passports and were told to have a nice day and sent on our way...like poop through a goose...!!!!! :joyfull:

Have no clue what the problem was with that one lady, but, it was obviously eventually resolved.
Interesting international travel experience, all the way around...!!! :geek:
I dont think has to do with cruise policy for entering or exiting. But for proof if something goes wrong in your ports of call. As an ID if something goes bad like health issue and you cant get back to the ship. They technically have your info and your photo on the ships's system.

So smart on using the passport. Less hassle and less fuss everywhere, including worldwide issues.

Figgy1

That is excellent advice, thank you! And I will certainly want those anti-meltdown spots!! DS was allowed to leave the room at the old school when it got to be overwhelming. He doesn't really need that now with the new school, because the whole place is a big anti-meltdown spot....dimmed lights, carpet to reduce noise on the floors, no artwork in the front of the room where it is distracting...it's fantastic. BUT, Disney is DEFINITELY not that place, so having a few escape hatches would be great.
I talked to DD when we pulled DS out of school, to find out how she felt about it. It was honestly a relief to her. The thing about DD is that she is incredibly mature for an 11 year old, and that has both advantages and disadvantages. I can have an adult, open conversation with her, and she can express herself pretty well. BUT, she is extremely empathetic and maternal...she wants to fix everything, and it frustrates her that she can't. And she's also too self-sacrificing. We've always tried to make sure that if one of the kids gets something, the other does too....so, if DD is doing something with her class and DS's class isn't doing that, we do something with him that's similar so he doesn't feel left out. Or if DS wants to go to such and such a movie, and DD doesn't, we do something else with her. But she understands that he has a harder time with emotions or with things that don't go the way he thinks they will...so, for example, when we were in DLP, the last day, we went to a hotel in Paris and planned to see the major sites the next day. The kids both wanted to see the eiffel tower, and Arc de Triomphe. DD noticed that DS was terrified on the subway....there was nowhere to sit, so we had to stand and hold on to a pole. She stood with her arms around him the whole time, to make him feel safer. And even though her feet were killing her, and he was fine, when a seat opened up, she let HIM sit. And we had planned to go to Notre Dam, but he was getting antsy, she quickly said she didn't need to go...it was fine....she'd see it some other time. She will give up experiences or comforts or whatever for his sake. Really sweet, for sure, but I don't want her to constantly feel like she has to make the sacrifice. She shouldn't have to do that. She is not his mother. I don't want her to feel like her role in the family is dependent on him...like she's only important in so far as she makes HIS life, and therefore our lives, easier. She DID offer some shocking insight when everything blew up back in October, but she is a bit young to have the burden of his situation on her shoulders, so I'm reluctant to confide in her just yet.
That's kind of funny about your dad loving shopping and giftshops. So cute! But yeah, that's pretty much what DH has done....inadvertantly, he's taught DS that he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to. By not expecting him to deal with the situations, he's made DS just expect to get his way. And what it really boils down to is exactly what you said with your dad...he didn't want to deal with it. It's so much easier to just say "Forget it, I won't go into that store." and that really doesn't help DS learn to cope. He won't always get his way, and sometimes what he really needs is a coping strategy. Like...he HATES his clothes getting wet. If he gets a couple drops of water on his clothes, he either wants to change clothes, or like....at school, he'll roll up his pants legs above the knee so he can't feel the wet spots. It might be cold outside, but he'd rather be cold than feel that one spot that's wet. When he was little, he always wanted to take off his pants and socks because he said they itch. We switched to jogging pants and now it's just when he gets them wet. There are some situations where we can make a slight concession without it being a problem for anyone else, and we do those things. But there are other things that we really can't change, or shouldn't. DS knows we won't make him go on any of the rides he doesn't want to do. We won't force him..., but what he needs to get used to is that that doesn't mean we're ONLY going to do the things that HE wants to do. I went on Buzz Lightyear and Autopia several times each in DLP because that's the only thing he wanted to do. We made sure he got to do those things. But it shouldn't mean that the rest of us don't get to do anything else.
But I guess I just have to show hubby that it's worth it to go...that it can be such a different experience. And I think we're better situated on property so he can have a beer with dinner, and he doesn't have to drive, etc, we can do the water parks (I know he had a fantastic time at BB), and we need to have more down time to swim or read or nap, etc. And I'm so hoping that the new school helps DS so that DH doesn't get so upset with him. I think having the diagnosis helps him at least to see that DS isn't doing it to cause problems, he just can't work through things in the same way we do and some things, like having wet pants, are going to affect him more. In hind-sight, I should have given DS a poncho on kali river rapids...we'll do that next time. There WILL be a next time...I am determined to get there!!

I admire your spirit.

Figgy1

That was actually a major consideration. I certainly thought about that. That's what we did the first time we went with the kids and we were staying off site, but I really want to get DS used to eating at restaurants...there's not always a McDonald's available. And to be honest, he did fine at WDW with just a couple of exceptions. I really really really love staying in the bubble. There may come a time when we go back to off-site vacations, but I think DH actually LIKES the bubble part. When we stayed with friends, it was pretty bad, and I think it was a relief for him that I do not want to stay with them again. Thinking about it, I really think it has less to do with Disney and more to do with not knowing how to handle the Autism. He knows now that DS can't help it, and therefore, he shouldn't get mad, but he is still learning. You all have had some great suggestions, and I think it will work out. I think we're just going to have to adjust, and maybe practice with things like amusement parks, museums, different venues, and then maybe some slightly longer trips, and just figure out how to cope as a family before we go back to Disney.
In that case stay in the UNI bubble for that part of your trip. They have morning EMH

Figgy1

Ouch! And our Little Miss @MinnieM123 loves this why? :confused:

26815280_10159806480535366_7880980554329324778_n.jpg
Serious mental health issues!

Figgy1

Yes. We have a microwave. I actually used the oven to bake muffins this afternoon. It worked fine. No worry about food poisoning if the temp wasn’t exact cause they are vegan and fat free. So no eggs, butter, or milk. Yes they taste awesome! I called the repair guy and left a message. I have heard nothing back. I will need to call GE again if he doesn’t contact me tomorrow.
I'm wondering if it was the road conditions. Not much was going on around here, even bingo was cancelled.:cold::coldfeet:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom