The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

Got distracted and forgot to reply to this one last night...

On our cruise last month we were told you could take either your drivers license/state ID or your passport, or both, with you to get on and off the ship at our ports of call. We chose to leave our drivers licenses in the cabin safe and take our passports 'cause DWifey wanted us to get our passports stamped. Funny thing is, all they ever wanted to see was our room key/cards. :cyclops: They had a crew member before the checkpoint telling everyone to get their room keys out all 3 times off the ship and all 3 times back on.

Going through customs to get on the ship was considerably more time-consuming. There was a lot of keyboarding going on.
Going through customs to get back in the US was a bit different.
There were, IIRC, 6-8 lines. They split us up into groups of two and sent us to 3 different lines. Oldest DD and SonIL in one, DWifey and youngest DD in one, and myself and DS in the other.
Our line (DS and myself, of course) moved the slowest! :hilarious: We were still about 8 pairings/groups back when Oldest DD and SonIL and oldest DD got through, and DWifey and youngest DD were about 4 back. DS and I finally were next in line, and then the real fun happened...
The lady in the group right in front of us was being quietly scrutinized up one side and down the other.
This, for some reason, took no less than 10 minutes. :bored:
So I'm thinkin' "What might they put us through?!" :cyclops:
It was finally our turn...
We presented our passports and were told to have a nice day and sent on our way...like poop through a goose...!!!!! :joyfull:

Have no clue what the problem was with that one lady, but, it was obviously eventually resolved.
Interesting international travel experience, all the way around...!!! :geek:
We always took our passports in case something happened while on our shore excursion. Reminds me of those videos of people being left behind because they weren't back to the ship on time after being warned multiple times the ship will leave without you.

Our one time of being backed up boarding was the first day due to people having bought a lot of dutyfree alcohol not realizing it all gets taken and you'll get it your last evening of the cruise. Funny on that though. I forgot I bought a bottle of El Presidente for my ex in the Dominican Republic. It went through the x-ray machine and the crew working didn't say anything. It wasn't until we got back to our room I remembered it. Oops. It went right into my suitcase.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

I dont think has to do with cruise policy for entering or exiting. But for proof if something goes wrong in your ports of call. As an ID if something goes bad like health issue and you cant get back to the ship. They technically have your info and your photo on the ships's system.

So smart on using the passport. Less hassle and less fuss everywhere, including worldwide issues.
:joyfull: I should have read further. That's what I just said.:)

Songbird76

I used to watch a show called Bridezillas, which was an amazing reality show about women going absolutely crazy planning their weddings. They were terrible. One thing they had in common though was that they OBSESSED over the chairs. What chairs would look the best and classiest at their wedding. I've gone to a LOT of weddings, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the chairs looked like at any of them. All the guests care about are three things: 1) does the couple look happy/ in love; 2) is the food good; 3) did they have fun.

That's it, though. Everything else just doesn't matter.
Wow....the chairs? Really? We had to fight with the pastor at the church where we got married just to put a small ribbon bow on the side of the pews in the first 3 rows. And to move the candelabras 1 foot to each side so that you could actually see them, because they were in front of big stained glass windows and you couldn't even see them. We weren't allowed to decorate beyond the bows. Those Bridezillas wouldn't have made it where I come from! We also weren't allowed to have pictures during the ceremony. Anything we wanted a picture of had to be re-enacted.
I would definitely not consider myself a bridezilla, but the girl I was super close with and had asked to be my maid of honor was from Canada. I guess in Canada, they do things differently? The bridesmaids get to pick their own dresses? Well, she had been the only bridesmaid in her friend's wedding, and had gotten to pick her own dress. It happened to be dark blue, which was one of our colors. So she wanted to wear that dress for our wedding, but I had 3 other girls, and there was no way for them to get that dress, so I said no. But she didn't TELL me she wanted to wear that until I started looking for bridesmaid dresses....I wanted something simple, but that would be flattering on any figure as none of my girls were small. And I had asked what they wanted in a dress, and one said she wanted either A-line or Empire waistline, one said no cap-sleeves or deep necklines, because she has CP and is on crutches, so her arms are muscular and she has to lean forward a bit, so a deep neckline gives a great view of her cleavage, and my cousin just said "I'd even wear a pink frilly dress for you, because that's how much I love you." So my maid of honor kept complaining. She sent me a picture of her dress from the other wedding. It was a nice dress, but still, I couldn't get that dress for the other girls and I wanted them all to match. She told me a maid of honor can wear a different dress. Yes...IF that's what the bride chooses. Then she told me in Canada, they get to choose their own. Well, we're not IN Canada. I sent her pictures of dresses that looked almost Identical to the one she showed me, but were a slightly different shade....no, she wanted to wear her own. I sent her links to online catalogues with HUNDREDS of dresses...she didn't like a single one. She wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of them. So finally, I grabbed the 2 girls who lived in town and we scoured the catalogues and picked out 4 that met all the requests of the other girls, and I sent them pictures of those 4 and told them to vote. 3 picked the same dress and my "maid of honor" refused to vote because she wouldn't wear any of them. I explained I was sorry, but that was the dress we were getting and I asked for her measurements so I could order it. She wrote back that she didn't want to pay for such a hiddeous dress that she would never wear again. I offered to pay for the dress so she wasn't out the money. She said that wasn't the point. She told me her boyfriend would break up with her if she wore that dress. Well, then he doesn't really love you, does he? Eventually, September 11th blocked out international flights. They opened on time for her to fly...the day before, I think, but she called and told me she just couldn't get on a plane, and she wasn't willing to take a bus or drive that distanc, so she wouldn't be coming. She never did pay for the dress, but I promoted one of my other friends to Maid of Honor and was much happier for it. She actually HELPED me with the wedding, and she remains one of my best friends, while I have hardly any contact with the original MoH...I realized if she couldn't even wear a dress she didn't like for a couple of hours, she really didn't care about me. She had even tried to talk me out of marrying my husband, because he had been interested in her before he and I started dating. (We were all on an online game and were friends) She was mad when he stopped doting on her. Not that she had any interest in HIM, but she liked the attention and was upset when it stopped. So I realized she really just wasn't as much of a friend as I thought she was. SHE would probably call me a bridezilla because I wouldn't let her wear the dang dress. Is there such a thing as a "Bridesmaidzilla"? Now it all seems so silly, and I'm glad that I realized she wasn't a true friend before she was standing next to me on such an important day. I was letting the girls pick the dress, I just wanted them to all have the same one. But it seems ridiculous to me to worry about CHAIRS.

Songbird76

You rode in hail? Ouch!!!:eek: 90mph winds are like tropical force winds. Stay safe. Surprised they wouldn't have closed schools considering so many probably ride bikes. Unsafe for kids who even walk with possible flying projectiles.:oops::rolleyes:
I know!! I couldn't believe it! And yes, I rode through hail. DD had GRID (musical theater) and I have to take her. She missed the week before because she was sick, and this week was an open lesson for parents to come and watch and participate, AND I had to pick up my glasses on the way. The weather was FINE 5 minutes before I left. I had just been to the grocery store and I put away the groceries, switched my laundry over, and opened the door and it was sleet. Coming down in sheets. But I HAD to go because otherwise I wouldn't have time to pick up the glasses, and I looked out the door and it was not going to let up any time soon, so I just had to do it. I stopped about a 3rd of the way there to wind my scarf around my forehead. Then it started hailing...just tiny hail, but still, OUCH...the scarf protected me from most of it though. Then when I got to the school to pick her up, it started hailing pea-sized balls. Kids came out screeching "OW!!!" It finally got smaller again just before she came out of the school, but it was NOT fun. They hardly ever cancel school here. They closed DS's school early one day back in December when we got a big snow storm, but that is the only time in 8 years that I've had to pick up a kid because school closed...and DD's didn't close then. I would rather they cancel school altogether than close halfway through, because if it's that bad, how do they expect parents without access to a vehicle to get their children? I think they don't do that because kids have to have a minimum of so many hours of instruction in a year and they don't have built in snow days because snow is so rare.

MySmallWorldof4

Wow....the chairs? Really? We had to fight with the pastor at the church where we got married just to put a small ribbon bow on the side of the pews in the first 3 rows. And to move the candelabras 1 foot to each side so that you could actually see them, because they were in front of big stained glass windows and you couldn't even see them. We weren't allowed to decorate beyond the bows. Those Bridezillas wouldn't have made it where I come from! We also weren't allowed to have pictures during the ceremony. Anything we wanted a picture of had to be re-enacted.
I would definitely not consider myself a bridezilla, but the girl I was super close with and had asked to be my maid of honor was from Canada. I guess in Canada, they do things differently? The bridesmaids get to pick their own dresses? Well, she had been the only bridesmaid in her friend's wedding, and had gotten to pick her own dress. It happened to be dark blue, which was one of our colors. So she wanted to wear that dress for our wedding, but I had 3 other girls, and there was no way for them to get that dress, so I said no. But she didn't TELL me she wanted to wear that until I started looking for bridesmaid dresses....I wanted something simple, but that would be flattering on any figure as none of my girls were small. And I had asked what they wanted in a dress, and one said she wanted either A-line or Empire waistline, one said no cap-sleeves or deep necklines, because she has CP and is on crutches, so her arms are muscular and she has to lean forward a bit, so a deep neckline gives a great view of her cleavage, and my cousin just said "I'd even wear a pink frilly dress for you, because that's how much I love you." So my maid of honor kept complaining. She sent me a picture of her dress from the other wedding. It was a nice dress, but still, I couldn't get that dress for the other girls and I wanted them all to match. She told me a maid of honor can wear a different dress. Yes...IF that's what the bride chooses. Then she told me in Canada, they get to choose their own. Well, we're not IN Canada. I sent her pictures of dresses that looked almost Identical to the one she showed me, but were a slightly different shade....no, she wanted to wear her own. I sent her links to online catalogues with HUNDREDS of dresses...she didn't like a single one. She wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of them. So finally, I grabbed the 2 girls who lived in town and we scoured the catalogues and picked out 4 that met all the requests of the other girls, and I sent them pictures of those 4 and told them to vote. 3 picked the same dress and my "maid of honor" refused to vote because she wouldn't wear any of them. I explained I was sorry, but that was the dress we were getting and I asked for her measurements so I could order it. She wrote back that she didn't want to pay for such a hiddeous dress that she would never wear again. I offered to pay for the dress so she wasn't out the money. She said that wasn't the point. She told me her boyfriend would break up with her if she wore that dress. Well, then he doesn't really love you, does he? Eventually, September 11th blocked out international flights. They opened on time for her to fly...the day before, I think, but she called and told me she just couldn't get on a plane, and she wasn't willing to take a bus or drive that distanc, so she wouldn't be coming. She never did pay for the dress, but I promoted one of my other friends to Maid of Honor and was much happier for it. She actually HELPED me with the wedding, and she remains one of my best friends, while I have hardly any contact with the original MoH...I realized if she couldn't even wear a dress she didn't like for a couple of hours, she really didn't care about me. She had even tried to talk me out of marrying my husband, because he had been interested in her before he and I started dating. (We were all on an online game and were friends) She was mad when he stopped doting on her. Not that she had any interest in HIM, but she liked the attention and was upset when it stopped. So I realized she really just wasn't as much of a friend as I thought she was. SHE would probably call me a bridezilla because I wouldn't let her wear the dang dress. Is there such a thing as a "Bridesmaidzilla"? Now it all seems so silly, and I'm glad that I realized she wasn't a true friend before she was standing next to me on such an important day. I was letting the girls pick the dress, I just wanted them to all have the same one. But it seems ridiculous to me to worry about CHAIRS.
My college roommates were my Maids of honor/bridesmaids. I let them choose the dresses. It was the same dress but each wore a different pastel color of it. I paid for them as well. Never had any bridesmaidzilla moments nor bridezilla moments. I am way too easy going. It helped that the wedding was small.

Songbird76

We woke up to a freak snowstorm on our wedding day. We got married in early December and it almost never snowed that early. I was devastated. Lots of our guests had to cancel their drives. One of my bridesmaids was flying in from New York and had her flight delayed and delayed and delayed. We ended up walking down the aisle late because she was frantically driving from the airport. She had to change into her dress in the car :hilarious::hilarious: And one of our groomsmen almost didn't make it because he had to drive up from NC and hadn't been prepared for snow in the mountains at all.

But they say rain on your wedding day is good luck, so snow must be too. It made for some really beautiful pictures :inlove::inlove:

View attachment 257271
Oh that's stunning!!! I'm glad they all at least made it!! We got married in September and the week before we got married, it snowed. My in-laws called to ask about the weather so they knew what to pack. So we told them it was snowing. They pack all their winter gear, and then on the day itself, it was 80 degrees. That's the nice thing about the weather in Wyoming...if you don't like it, just wait 5 minutes. It will change!:hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

I know!! I couldn't believe it! And yes, I rode through hail. DD had GRID (musical theater) and I have to take her. She missed the week before because she was sick, and this week was an open lesson for parents to come and watch and participate, AND I had to pick up my glasses on the way. The weather was FINE 5 minutes before I left. I had just been to the grocery store and I put away the groceries, switched my laundry over, and opened the door and it was sleet. Coming down in sheets. But I HAD to go because otherwise I wouldn't have time to pick up the glasses, and I looked out the door and it was not going to let up any time soon, so I just had to do it. I stopped about a 3rd of the way there to wind my scarf around my forehead. Then it started hailing...just tiny hail, but still, OUCH...the scarf protected me from most of it though. Then when I got to the school to pick her up, it started hailing pea-sized balls. Kids came out screeching "OW!!!" It finally got smaller again just before she came out of the school, but it was NOT fun. They hardly ever cancel school here. They closed DS's school early one day back in December when we got a big snow storm, but that is the only time in 8 years that I've had to pick up a kid because school closed...and DD's didn't close then. I would rather they cancel school altogether than close halfway through, because if it's that bad, how do they expect parents without access to a vehicle to get their children? I think they don't do that because kids have to have a minimum of so many hours of instruction in a year and they don't have built in snow days because snow is so rare.
We have to do 180 days here. Sometimes they will take away a vacation day if they used snow days. Last year they took away President’s Day. Of course none of that affects my kids. We are already at 100 days done. Today is 103.

Songbird76

By the way @Songbird76 I am curious and don't know if you mentioned it before, but how did you end up meeting dh? If it is too personal you don't need to answer. Just wondering how a small town girl from Wyoming met someone from the Netherlands, unless he was an exchange student.
Internet. We met on a MUD. (Multi User Dungeon) It's like a game where you create a character and you go around killing mythical creatures...well....imagine Zena: Warrior Princess, in game form. I didn't really PLAY a whole lot...my ex-BF and our best friend played and they constantly talked about gaining XP and doing "corpse retrievals" and needing more dexterity and it drove me nuts because I didn't understand any of it and I felt really left out of the conversation. For a while, we tried a compromise...if he started talking about game stuff, I started talking about feminine hygiene products, something he was grossed out by and would walk around the entire Walmart store just so he didn't have to go by that aisle. But it was too hard for them to not talk about it, and so finally he told me I should try it out and then I would understand what they were talking about. So I went on, and I basically just sat there and talked to people. I played for several years and was still only level 36, where most people reach 99 in a matter of months. But anyway, there was some creeper who was propositioning me for online...stuff, and my now husband was a "Diety", which is like a mod on here. He could listen in on people's conversations, fix glitches, etc. So he was the only diety on at the time, so I told him about the guy, and he listened in and then banned him. We were just friends, but when I broke off the engagement to the other guy, my husband admitted that he had a crush on me and would really like a chance. I made him wait a while because having JUST come out of a super toxic and long relationship, I wasn't ready for anything that serious right away. I dated a bit and hated it, so I gave him a chance, and here we are, married for 16 years and still just as happy as the day we married.

Songbird76

My college roommates were my Maids of honor/bridesmaids. I let them choose the dresses. It was the same dress but each wore a different pastel color of it. I paid for them as well. Never had any bridesmaidzilla moments nor bridezilla moments. I am way too easy going. It helped that the wedding was small.
I just never anticipated the resistance as I was letting them pick the dress anyway. I'd pick out things I thought would match the style of the wedding and send them to all the girls and they all said they liked this or didn't like that. It was only the one girl who kept insisting that she was going to wear the dress from the other wedding, and it was her right as the maid of honor to pick her dress, and to look different from the other girls, and that SHE would never ask someone to wear a dress they didn't like if SHE was getting married. I realize now that she wasn't even looking at the dresses I sent pictures of. She had decided she was going to wear the dress she had so she got another use out of it, and she wasn't going to wear anything but THAT dress. September 11th offered her the excuse she needed to get out of coming to the wedding. I wish she had just told me she didn't want to be the Maid of Honor....I hadn't even asked her to do any of the things a Maid of Honor is supposed to help with...it was just that I thought of her like a sister, and wanted her there on the day supporting me. My other bridesmaids did all those things...looking at flowers, dresses, throwing the shower. So it wasn't like I had asked her to DO anything. The ONLY thing I asked her to do was wear the dress on the day and I even offered to pay for it. I didn't think it was too much to ask of your "sister". But apparently I was wrong. I'm a pretty laid back person, but I figured for one day, it should be about me and not her.

Goofyernmost

Keep going to Florida. North Carolina isn't the place to be today. Looking out my window, which is as close as I am planning on getting to the outdoors today, there appears to be anywhere between 5 to 7 inches of snow on the ground and the current temperature is 20 degrees. Very unfriendly NC weather. I have spent the morning going over my relocation contract and NOWHERE does it say anything about snow and cold. I'm wanting a refund.:mad::mad::eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::mad::mad:

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
We have to do 180 days here. Sometimes they will take away a vacation day if they used snow days. Last year they took away President’s Day. Of course none of that affects my kids. We are already at 100 days done. Today is 103.
Same here, and now Maryland law says they have to start after Labor Day and be out by June 15, so if they have too many snow days, they get a reduced spring break. They had yesterday off again, and we've been known to have a rough time in March, so who knows.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Well, my company has decided that it is time to move me on from my position. And not just from my position, but from the department. I essentially told my boss that IT project management was not an ideal career path for me. He said okay, he understood, it happens more than he would care to admit where he brings in someone and they say that, but they've thought the quality of my work is so high that they want to keep me in the company, but not in IT (thank goodness, so much of this is over my head). So next week we'll have a meeting with HR to discuss what openings are available in the company and where I would fit. Meanwhile, I'm just over here being anxious because I thought I could just stay in my current position until the right position came up and they're like, "Yeah, no, time to move on!" And I'm also looking at other options, just in case (which my boss said if I did take that path, they would support me and give me high recommendations)

So the car purchase will definitely not happen until end of next month or end of March when I know what's going on with work. Ugh! Excited, but, oh my, I'm anxious.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

All my bridesmaids picked their own dresses, as well. I just told them all, find a floor length black dress that you feel beautiful in. We couldn't afford to pay for their dresses, so I wanted to make sure they all got dresses that they loved. The men all rented the same suit.

My original maid of honor was my sister in law. She was my best friend AND my sister, so it made sense. Shortly after we got married, she got pregnant. She still did all the maid of honor things, and threw me the most beautiful bridal shower, but we didn't think she would come to the wedding. She kept saying she was coming and kept saying she was coming, but she didn't even buy a dress. Finally, only two weeks out, she finally conceded that she couldn't make it. A 15 hour drive was too far with a 6 week old baby, and he wasn't old enough to fly.

So I promoted my sister to maid of honor. In the end it worked out because both my sisters got a chance to be my maid of honor, and that meant a lot to me. I made a small photo book of the wedding and reception and photoshopped my sister in law and brother into it. It was hilarious, and they loved it.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Well, my company has decided that it is time to move me on from my position. And not just from my position, but from the department. I essentially told my boss that IT project management was not an ideal career path for me. He said okay, he understood, it happens more than he would care to admit where he brings in someone and they say that, but they've thought the quality of my work is so high that they want to keep me in the company, but not in IT (thank goodness, so much of this is over my head). So next week we'll have a meeting with HR to discuss what openings are available in the company and where I would fit. Meanwhile, I'm just over here being anxious because I thought I could just stay in my current position until the right position came up and they're like, "Yeah, no, time to move on!" And I'm also looking at other options, just in case (which my boss said if I did take that path, they would support me and give me high recommendations)

So the car purchase will definitely not happen until end of next month or end of March when I know what's going on with work. Ugh! Excited, but, oh my, I'm anxious.

That's both terrifying and fantastic! That's awesome that they want to place you somewhere in the company and it speaks highly of your work that even when you don't enjoy your work, you're still producing high quality work product. Imagine the human capital they could get from you if they placed you doing something you LOVE. Good luck!

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
That's both terrifying and fantastic! That's awesome that they want to place you somewhere in the company and it speaks highly of your work that even when you don't enjoy your work, you're still producing high quality work product. Imagine the human capital they could get from you if they placed you doing something you LOVE. Good luck!
Thanks. I've asked to go over to marketing becuase that was my degree's concentration and that's what I really want to do, but my primary goal is that I love this company and I want to stay here. And how many people can actually say that they love their companies?

Not to mention they treat you so well here and the people are fantastic.

So just making it clear that I want to be here and grow my career here. Just not in IT world.

MySmallWorldof4

Keep going to Florida. North Carolina isn't the place to be today. Looking out my window, which is as close as I am planning on getting to the outdoors today, there appears to be anywhere between 5 to 7 inches of snow on the ground and the current temperature is 20 degrees. Very unfriendly NC weather. I have spent the morning going over my relocation contract and NOWHERE does it say anything about snow and cold. I'm wanting a refund.:mad::mad::eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::mad::mad:
You would probably have to head to Key West at this point. It was 31 in Orlando this morning!:coldfeet::coldfeet::coldfeet::eek: Hope your eyes are okay, by the way.

MySmallWorldof4

Same here, and now Maryland law says they have to start after Labor Day and be out by June 15, so if they have too many snow days, they get a reduced spring break. They had yesterday off again, and we've been known to have a rough time in March, so who knows.
Schools in PA have started sooner and sooner every year. I tend to start school again when the public schools start. Schools used to start the week before Labor Day. Now they start around August 17/18. Their reasoning to start so much earlier was so that kids would get a whole extra week to study for the PSSA's, which are the achievement tests. Ridiculous reason.:rolleyes:So when schools say they don't teach to pass a test, that is all lies.:cautious: We do finish before Memorial Day. The only bad part is the weather doesn't get really warm here until July, although the last couple of years, our summers have been cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom