The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I hope if turns on for you and your morning recovers!!

My husband could be happy never going again. So the next trip we take is going to be a mommy daughter trip. It sounds to me, with your husband the way he is right now and your son the way he is, that you might want to consider a mommy daughter trip! DH and son can do a father son trip wherever they want, and you guys could go enjoy everything you love about Disney.

Boy, as a Mom of a special needs DD, a wife as of a special needs DD, I need to put some thought into this before I fully comment. I've tried a few times but need to cone my thoughts better as a Mom vs a Dad. I keep coming back to that 'stuck' view that haunts me. Lived it. Seen men that believed that. Seen good men that have found comfort elsewhere 'cause of stress on family of Special Needs commitment. Sum of it all Unnerving. So many thoughts. Words difficult.

Figgy1

And @Songbird76 my DD 2 cents worth after also laughing at Buck Up Sissy pants...

He has to give her something and what she wants is WDW every 3 years or so. She moved half way around the world for her hubby, far from her home and country. Coming back to the US to go to Disney every few years isn't a huge trade off for living in his country so far away from hers.

I have to say I agree with my DDs version of fairness.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figgy1

I get that. As I read today that Disney is trialing no cash at WDW at Animal Kingdom Lodge I had that oh stop it now moment. My comfort level with 'tap' for everything isn't there. I cash, I credit and debit card different things at different times. I swing given the circumstances at home and on vacation. My comfort level of being forced to credit or debit an not pay cash for very small items beyond a TIP annoys me. I raised my kids Disney. I'd send them off with $5 to go grab a cup cake. The idea of turning over a credit card to a 10 year old for a $5 item is frustrating given they do not have the wherewithal to watch and understand the sensitivity of what any given person is doing with that card. I had that STOP IT moment with Disney today as they announced this. I know the advantage they are looking for with the Magic Band 'tap for whatever you want' mentality until you get your credit card bill when you are back home....still I've never lived that way, ever. I know some people live the life of advances on their salaries, push their credit cards to the limit but there are many that do not live that life. Not excepting United States Currency in the United States, well disconcerting to me anyhow.
Nope I don't like that at all!!!!! What a PITA it will be to keep gift cards for kids loaded with small amounts:grumpy:

Songbird76

Fortunately my hubs likes Disney as much as I do, well maybe not as much as me! ;) Although he was reluctant to go there when I suggested it as a honeymoon because he hadn't had a good time with his family (hmmm, I wonder why with his sisters....). I would be very frustrated if my partner was not excited about going to Disney parks with me.

Anyway, back to your problem. Your son will be older and may be able to handle rides more, with his new school and program it might be giving him more confidence in himself that could bleed over to that. Maybe even to the point where he could be content waiting more for family members while you and your husband utilize the parent swap. Personally I don't see Disney having many delays with Galaxy's Edge in WDW, Disneyland is ahead WDW in terms of progress and would probably run into problems first which would be then solved quicker in WDW. I also think Star Wars land will be packed for years, so crowds will just have to be expected. With that said would your husband be in favor of a Disneyland & Southern California trip? That would provide for Disney and exploration of non-Disney things.

I know going on rides isn't part of your son's curriculum but I'm sure they work on dealing with issues of fear and such. Perhaps they might have some insight on how to handle or encourage you son to try new experiences.

Or maybe WDW for a bit and a Disney cruise (they are very nice!). Also WDW will be turning 50 in 2021, so maybe that would be a good compromise and let you all attend that celebration and the kids would be older and more mature by then.

Personally I do love the Polynesian and would love to stay there again but I can't justify the cost. Perhaps if we spent more time just relaxing at the resort I could. You could always do a split stay, and enjoy the Poly and splurge a bit.
I think I'll take it up with his psychologist...see if she has any tips for getting over the fear. Our problem with the parent swap last time was that he wouldn't actually go INTO the ride building, which is where the swap is. He wouldn't even get in line until I had asked and confirmed there was a swap at Haunted Mansion. What I didn't know was that you have to do the stretching room BEFORE you get to the swap area. The CM I had asked told me to ask the next CM....so I asked the next CM we saw, about halfway through the line, and he said "Oh that will be at the next CM." so I asked THAT CM and he told me it was right at the door. So we got to the door, and the girl told us, no sorry, you have to actually go in, at which point DS started screaming and refused to go near the door. She told us that if he wouldn't go in, she couldn't help us, we'd have to exit through the line and I'd have to wait in line again. She didn't even offer a fast pass or anything like @dryerlintfan got at FEA. It was more upsetting to me that everyone kept passing the buck and that there was no alternative to actually entering the ride. That stretching room is the scariest bit of the ride...you might as well force the kid to do the whole ride if they have to go through that. And how hard is it to have a little gate between the exit and entrance doors in the line so that when the rest of the family comes out, they let the little kid exit with the other parent? But that she gave me no option after I stood in line that whole time....really poor customer service. I actually went to guest services and explained what happened and SHE gave us fastpasses. But we can't be the only people in the world whose kid was afraid to go in. He's fine waiting outside while DH does a ride with DD....he took her on BTMRR and Haunted Mansion and we waited outside no problem. But that's also why I'm a bit offended that DH made the comment that he always gets stuck with DS and doesn't get to have fun. It's so not true...I'm the one who waits while he does all the coasters and such. But I think what I might do is just book Poly for a night or something. Just to stay there. Or wait until DD and I can do a mother-daughter trip.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I get that. As I read today that Disney is trialing no cash at WDW at Animal Kingdom Lodge I had that oh stop it now moment. My comfort level with 'tap' for everything isn't there. I cash, I credit and debit card different things at different times. I swing given the circumstances at home and on vacation. My comfort level of being forced to credit or debit an not pay cash for very small items beyond a TIP annoys me. I raised my kids Disney. I'd send them off with $5 to go grab a cup cake. The idea of turning over a credit card to a 10 year old for a $5 item is frustrating given they do not have the wherewithal to watch and understand the sensitivity of what any given person is doing with that card. I had that STOP IT moment with Disney today as they announced this. I know the advantage they are looking for with the Magic Band 'tap for whatever you want' mentality until you get your credit card bill when you are back home....still I've never lived that way, ever. I know some people live the life of advances on their salaries, push their credit cards to the limit but there are many that do not live that life. Not excepting United States Currency in the United States, well disconcerting to me anyhow.

As far as I'm concerned, it's to benefit Disney only--they can cut down on CMs to count the cash at the end of the day, so to speak. I have no problem with people who don't want to use cash; I just don't like having only one option (electronic) to pay.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh, a veil, another thing I forgot I will not be doing. My thought on marriage is that we will be entering a partnership. I will not be owned by him. My father is not giving me to him, he will not lift the veil to reveal his prize, and before the wedding, I will not be his property and will not wear a ring to show that unless he also wants to wear one.

Hee hee . . . even those of us who wore a veil (believe me, even a dawg can look pretty in a veil !! :joyfull: ) don't consider ourselves owned by anyone. ;) It is still a partnership. For me, I enjoy the old traditions (white dress, veil) and went with them, but I'm still the crazy gal I always was! :D

MySmallWorldof4

Nope nope nope....I'm not cooking on my vacation! The thing I look forward to the most on any vacation is not having to cook! Plus, the time traveling between the parks and the hotel would eat up too much time. Been there, done that. I might consider renting a car so we could do some excursions, and we ARE planning to visit WWoHP at Universal Studios on our next trip, so it won't ONLY be Disney. But it's not so much Disney Overload that's the problem...it's DH's lack of patience combined with DS's tendency to have meltdowns. And it's not exclusive to Disney. It happens whether we go to my in-laws' house for the day, or go to a techniekdag, or for a weekend in Dublin, etc. Traveling is hard with DS, and I get that, but I don't think the answer is just to never go anywhere. That won't help DS to adjust, or to cope with uncomfortable situations, and it certainly won't make for a happy mommy, because I need a break sometimes.
Well let us know when you want to go. I am sure one of us groups of "Disneyphiles" will be down there and we can help you out.;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Hee hee . . . even those of us who wore a veil (believe me, even a dawg can look pretty in a veil !! :joyfull: ) don't consider ourselves owned by anyone. ;) It is still a partnership. For me, I enjoy the old traditions (white dress, veil) and went with them, but I'm still the crazy gal I always was! :D

There are definitely some archaic traditions that I was completely against. Like asking my fathers permission for my hand in marriage. If my husband had done that, he wouldn't be my husband. But I did enjoy a lot of the old traditions. What I love about weddings is that most of the time you can really see the personality and dynamic of the couple shine through the details and whichever traditions they've chosen. Every wedding is different.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Oh, my mom wore a veil, and yes, they are pretty, but I don't like the history and tradition behind them. I don't fault anyone for choosing it, or for going the traditional route, but it's not happening with me. I just can't get passed the origins of it.

I also won't carry a bouquet because they were originally intended to keep away evil spirits and there will be no superstitions whatsoever at my wedding, so ya know, just my personality here. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom