The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well I had to call repair services. I was able to get an appointment at least for tomorrow. I hope it is not expensive and I hope he doesn't say it is broken completely. An expensive appliance that only lasts for 13 months. I should have bought the extended warranty. Who would think though that something so costly would break just over a year? I need to become less naive I think.:(

I don't think you're naive at all. There's no reason why a big appliance should stop working in 13 months--that's unacceptable.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ok....I need to vent. I don't know what to do. I've been talking about planning our next trip to Disney and first thing was when do we want to go. On the one hand, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is supposed to open in 2019. My kids are in the region with late vacation in 2019 and 2020, which means they don't go back to school until September...so it might be cheaper travel in those years if we go closer to the end of the vacation....good time to go. BUT, DS, as much as he loves Star Wars, wouldn't do any of the SW stuff in DLP because he was scared...I don't know if he'll be better about that in a year and a half. But even if he is, if it opens on time, it's going to be PACKED. So then I thought...maybe we should wait until 2020, because by then the hype has died down and wait times will be more "normal". BUT, then I remembered ROL got pushed back by more than a year....FEA was pushed back by months...and those were MUCH smaller scale projects....will SW:GE even be open in 2019? If not, then I'd rather go in 2019 and go back in a few years again when the hype has died down and DS is older. So I was debating this and hubby made some comment about waiting until 2022. WHAT??? I said no, because then the kids have EARLY vacation, which means they get out in the 2nd week of July...the height of tourist season and the most expensive travel time. He shrugged and the subject was dropped. So then last night, I asked him what he thought about staying at the Poly for our next trip. It's more expensive, but we did get a bit of money from the sale of the cattle...it would be enough for that. He says "Well....is it really that much better? We've paid for extra things before and it wasn't worth it." He's referring to DLP, paying for the Montana room, which looked old and run down, only had one outlet besides the one in the bathroom, and they put us in the room that was the farthest from EVERYTHING, when we had booked the Montana room specifically to be CLOSER to everything. So, I get that, but hi...that was DLP....a completely different ball game from WDW. Then he says "Look, I know you LOVE Disney, so we'll probably go again," (PROBABLY???) "but it's really not as important to me and I get stuck with DS and don't get to have as much fun. And I get it....you and DD mostly like the same things, so it makes sense that you girls stick together, but then I am stuck with him doing the same 2 rides over and over or sitting at the resort, and I get one morning to do my thing and that's it." Again, he's referring to DLP when DS only wanted to do Buzz Lightyear, and Autopia, or play games on the phone/computer. BUT, the thing is, we were only there for 2 full days and 2 partial days....and of those, DH got one full morning to himself from park opening until lunch time, PLUS another morning after we did Ratattouille, AND he got an afternoon on his own on the last day, and then he also had a morning where I took DS and he took DD....they did BTMRR, Indiana Jones coaster, Carrots of the Pirabbean....all the things he couldn't do with DS. And there was one more afternoon where DD and I were going to do stuff and had bad luck so we went back to the resort to stay with DS so DH could go back into the park and have fun...he chose to take a nap instead. So I had DS half the time, and he got a LOT of time by himself to do the things the kids wouldn't do. And that's just at DLP. When we went to WDW, we did one ride together at Blizzard Beach, and I didn't see him for the rest of the day, because DS didn't want to be left alone, so I stayed with him and took him to all the Winter Summer Games events while DH and DD did every ride in the park together...the whole day. I took the kids while he went on EE, I took DS when DH wanted to do BTMRR, and he took DD with him....and when DS had a meltdown because he didn't want to go into the Haunted Mansion after we had stood in line for half an hour, -I- was the one who took him out and let DH and DD go on the ride, because DS wouldn't even go into the building to the parent swap area...we had to walk back out of the line the way we came and I didn't get to go on the ride. So he makes it sound like it's no fun for him because he has to kid-sit while I do all the fun stuff when that is so not fair. I made SURE he got to do every ride he wanted to do at DLP...He had HOURS to do all the thrill rides. And now that the kids are getting older, DD is doing more of the thrill rides with him. I get motion sickness, so usually I'M the one who is not going on rides. But basically he's talking about not wanting to spend money on Disney. Well where else do you want to go? We're going to have the same situation with DS no matter where we go. One of us always has to stay with him while the others do the stuff....that's just the way it is. The alternative is we just never go on vacation. And pretty much every amusement park we go to involves me sitting with DS while either DH or DH and DD do things...so I feel like, the one thing -I- enjoy, he doesn't want to do because he has to sit out with DS half the time. Well welcome to my world! So now I don't know if we're even going to get to go to Disney again, and if we do, I'll be so stressed trying to make sure HE'S having fun that -I- won't get to have fun. I know it's not fun being the one stuck while the others are off doing their own things, but I've made sure that he's not the only one doing that, and apparently he doesn't feel I do a good job of splitting it up and ensuring he has his fun time. So he only wants to do the things where HE gets to enjoy it and I'M the one sitting there bored out of my mind while everyone else has a great time. He did say once several months ago "What about like....Italy, and Greece, and all those places we wanted to go?" And I reminded him then that we couldn't really do those things with the kids....at least not with DS. DS would not have a good time walking around museums or looking at ruins, or visiting beautiful examples of architecture...we have to wait until he's older for that anyway. But then I just don't know what he WANTS to do for vacation. And I don't want to have HIM pouting the whole time like a child because he didn't get his way. So...how do I get the Disney trip the rest of us really want to do, but also ensure he isn't a grumpus the whole time and that he doesn't resent me for making him endure yet another Disney vacation? Suggestions? Any of you have spouses who are luke warm on Disney? He never said ANYTHING about not enjoying our trips until I started talking about the next trip.

Fortunately my hubs likes Disney as much as I do, well maybe not as much as me! ;) Although he was reluctant to go there when I suggested it as a honeymoon because he hadn't had a good time with his family (hmmm, I wonder why with his sisters....). I would be very frustrated if my partner was not excited about going to Disney parks with me.

Anyway, back to your problem. Your son will be older and may be able to handle rides more, with his new school and program it might be giving him more confidence in himself that could bleed over to that. Maybe even to the point where he could be content waiting more for family members while you and your husband utilize the parent swap. Personally I don't see Disney having many delays with Galaxy's Edge in WDW, Disneyland is ahead WDW in terms of progress and would probably run into problems first which would be then solved quicker in WDW. I also think Star Wars land will be packed for years, so crowds will just have to be expected. With that said would your husband be in favor of a Disneyland & Southern California trip? That would provide for Disney and exploration of non-Disney things.

I know going on rides isn't part of your son's curriculum but I'm sure they work on dealing with issues of fear and such. Perhaps they might have some insight on how to handle or encourage you son to try new experiences.

Or maybe WDW for a bit and a Disney cruise (they are very nice!). Also WDW will be turning 50 in 2021, so maybe that would be a good compromise and let you all attend that celebration and the kids would be older and more mature by then.

Personally I do love the Polynesian and would love to stay there again but I can't justify the cost. Perhaps if we spent more time just relaxing at the resort I could. You could always do a split stay, and enjoy the Poly and splurge a bit.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Well I had to call repair services. I was able to get an appointment at least for tomorrow. I hope it is not expensive and I hope he doesn't say it is broken completely. An expensive appliance that only lasts for 13 months. I should have bought the extended warranty. Who would think though that something so costly would break just over a year? I need to become less naive I think.:(

Sorry about your oven. Ours broke a couple years ago and we were without an oven including the stovetop range for 2 weeks. I did have a small burner that I use in my classroom that I brought home to use, but there was a lot of microwave meals and pizzas from the bar downtown.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I actually could have borrowed more for my mortgage but didn't want to. A few of my friends have mortgages that eat up so much of their money they struggle to even have 1 half decent holiday a year and they need 25 or 30 years to pay it off. Once I calculated how much interest I would pay on a mortgage like that I decided to buy something under budget with a shorter mortgage. Plus I love my little place and my monthly bills are low enoughso I can still have a life.

Plus if it is a smaller place, that means there is less to clean!:);)

A lot of my friends bought big houses and sometimes I'm a little envious because honestly their houses are nicer than mine. But then I think about how much time I would spend cleaning a bigger place and then I'm okay.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
That's the one thing that bugs me about the work world--wish it was like schools, where they have a few hours delay, so that the trucks can keep up with the road clearing. :mad:

It's rare, but sometimes in the past when we have had a really bad storm some businesses have closed down. Even factories have closed and put notices on tv & radio. But I don't think they have ever had publicized delays. It would make some sense though if they did.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My jaw dropped when I read his comment. Seriously??!! Yours was a "family" home--how many family homes have a professional chefs kitchen??!!! :facepalm:

I'd say maybe 5-10% of the homes here 'could' have very upscale kitchens. My appliances were moderate-higher end, like my Dishwasher was a Bosch and 3 drawered $1100 not installed. So we are not talking bargain basement, my cabinets solid wood not sawdust board. Still the house is a middle income family home. I really wonder where they 'landed' if anywhere. They knew what they wanted but both the realtor and I were like good luck with that in this price-point dude.

Gabe1

It starts this Saturday morning!! She has a little friend who is "extra" like she is, so they'll be taking the classes together!

It turns out she was mad because I sent her daddy to pick her up from school instead of going myself. Tough break, kid. The roads were terrible (ice and snow and tons of slippery slush) so you had that other parent who loves you very much (and can drive better in snow) come get you. :inlove::inlove:

Nice she will have a friend!

And Wow! She is just turning 3. Most kids would just have a fit but she had her thoughts all in order. Can't wait to see her at 4 years old, what a hoot she is. :inlove: Love your attitude, tough break kid. When did she finally decide to tell you what she had her short in a knot over...were you able to keep a straight face?

Gabe1

You'd be surprised. It's definitely a real estate trend to remodel your kitchen as a chef's kitchen before putting your house in the market.

Oh not here it isn't. You'd never get that money back out of the home. Sure it would sell quicker but you'd be out a lot of money so nobody does that. The homes here that have a professional chefs kitchen are McMansions that are in the Millions not family homes which 80% of our town is with an odd McMansion plopped in for good measure.

StarWarsGirl

Nope nope nope....I'm not cooking on my vacation! The thing I look forward to the most on any vacation is not having to cook! Plus, the time traveling between the parks and the hotel would eat up too much time. Been there, done that. I might consider renting a car so we could do some excursions, and we ARE planning to visit WWoHP at Universal Studios on our next trip, so it won't ONLY be Disney. But it's not so much Disney Overload that's the problem...it's DH's lack of patience combined with DS's tendency to have meltdowns. And it's not exclusive to Disney. It happens whether we go to my in-laws' house for the day, or go to a techniekdag, or for a weekend in Dublin, etc. Traveling is hard with DS, and I get that, but I don't think the answer is just to never go anywhere. That won't help DS to adjust, or to cope with uncomfortable situations, and it certainly won't make for a happy mommy, because I need a break sometimes.
I don't blame you. My mom cooks when wecre in SC and Hawaii, but anywhere else, she's like, "Nope!" Even last time in Hilton Head, we ate out more than usual. And being on Disney property spoils you. I actually like that I can walk everywhere or just get on a bus and a bus will take me to the front of the park and drop me off at my resort and not have to deal with parking. Parking is the worst. AK and the WPs are the only exceptions. We're usually over at the Epcot resorts, so I'm spoiled by the ability to walk back to my room from Epcot or DHS and be at the hot tub in less than an hour after park closing.

And personally, having a sibling on the spectrum, I agree with travelling if you can. You'll figure out what works for you and him. For us, we've figured out what works. Sometimes that means getting a FP for a specific ride first even though it may not necesarily be the most convenient (looking at you, FoP). Sometimes that means stopping and taking a break and getting a snack. And most of all, it means clear communication with him. We tell him what the plans are. He's usually okay with them, but if therecs something he really wants to do, even if it's something silly to us like riding an elevator at Pizza Rizzo's, we do it even though we're like, "Yeah, why?" As long as it's feasible and not against the rules, we let him. It makes him happy and lets us all have a good vacation. And conversely, if there's something he really doesn't want to do, he doesn't have to. It's pretty rare at this point, but when he was younger, first he didn't want to go on TofT, then later on EE. My parents with me had a once per trip rule with me on every ride, but with him, he genuinely did not want to do either of those two, and they did not force him.

As for your DH, just know that he's normal. He really is. My dad stopped going to malls when my brother was younger because every time they would go to a mall, my brother, being a typical boy, hated shopping, and would melt down, and my father didn't feel like dealing with it. My dad loved going to malls and shopping. He still will drag you into every gift shop in WDW on the off chance that they might have something different in this one even though they usually have the same stuff in each one. But my dad really didn't do my brother any favors because now, every time we walk into a gift shop in WDW, my brother does not want to be there, and he gives my dad more grief in shops than he does my mom or me. Heck, in Hilton Head, my grandma and I went in a department store with him and I tried on clothes and shoes while having him hold my purse, and he was probably bored out of his mind, but he was an angel. And rewarded for it. ;) But he never would have been that way with my dad. He would have thrown a fit about being there, making them both miserable. Instead, if my dad had figured out how to deal with that when he was younger, as my mom did, he wouldn't be this way now. That being said, he has gotten a lot better. It's been an education process, as I'm sure it will be with your DH. But know that he's normal, and he will get there, but he's not Mom, and it will take him longer. But he will get there, and you may have to insist that he still do things like go on vacation, and it will be worth it in the long run.

On a side note, in just dealing with your DS, have you talked to your DD about any of this? Coming from the perspective of being a big sis, I have sometimes had insights into my brother that my mom hasn't. She's said before that she'll talk to me about something going on with my brother, and she'll get anxious that it's a new behavior, and I'll say to her, "Mom, he's a teenager. Of course he's doing that." And then she calms down. Keeping me in the loop gave them insights, as well as gave them peace of mind knowing that there was someone around who knows him as well as they do. And it made me feel valued in m family knowing that my opinion and insight meant something, and I did two separate projects in college for autism advocacy. Just a thought, it might not work for your situation, but you might be surprised what kinds of insights your DD has. And you want to keep a check on her too to see how she feels about this, because she definitely has an opinion and feelings on this.

BTW, Seasons at non peak periods, excellent spot. You get a DAS for Soarin', get on Living with the Land, get a snack at Seasons, and then after 15-20 minutes, he's rarin' to go, and the DAS is good. There's also seating there that's away from noise and people, so if you start to sense that he's heading into meltdown territory, sometimes a sensory break is an excellent thing. It's my antimeltdown formula for when I have my brother and my parents aren't around, and he very rarely melts down. If you want my desensatize spots for when you go back to WDW, let me know. I know them partly becuase of my brother, sometimes because my migraine brain needs 30 minutes away from noise and people with some caffeine.

Gabe1

Ok....I need to vent. I don't know what to do. I've been talking about planning our next trip to Disney and first thing was when do we want to go. On the one hand, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is supposed to open in 2019. My kids are in the region with late vacation in 2019 and 2020, which means they don't go back to school until September...so it might be cheaper travel in those years if we go closer to the end of the vacation....good time to go. BUT, DS, as much as he loves Star Wars, wouldn't do any of the SW stuff in DLP because he was scared...I don't know if he'll be better about that in a year and a half. But even if he is, if it opens on time, it's going to be PACKED. So then I thought...maybe we should wait until 2020, because by then the hype has died down and wait times will be more "normal". BUT, then I remembered ROL got pushed back by more than a year....FEA was pushed back by months...and those were MUCH smaller scale projects....will SW:GE even be open in 2019? If not, then I'd rather go in 2019 and go back in a few years again when the hype has died down and DS is older. So I was debating this and hubby made some comment about waiting until 2022. WHAT??? I said no, because then the kids have EARLY vacation, which means they get out in the 2nd week of July...the height of tourist season and the most expensive travel time. He shrugged and the subject was dropped. So then last night, I asked him what he thought about staying at the Poly for our next trip. It's more expensive, but we did get a bit of money from the sale of the cattle...it would be enough for that. He says "Well....is it really that much better? We've paid for extra things before and it wasn't worth it." He's referring to DLP, paying for the Montana room, which looked old and run down, only had one outlet besides the one in the bathroom, and they put us in the room that was the farthest from EVERYTHING, when we had booked the Montana room specifically to be CLOSER to everything. So, I get that, but hi...that was DLP....a completely different ball game from WDW. Then he says "Look, I know you LOVE Disney, so we'll probably go again," (PROBABLY???) "but it's really not as important to me and I get stuck with DS and don't get to have as much fun. And I get it....you and DD mostly like the same things, so it makes sense that you girls stick together, but then I am stuck with him doing the same 2 rides over and over or sitting at the resort, and I get one morning to do my thing and that's it." Again, he's referring to DLP when DS only wanted to do Buzz Lightyear, and Autopia, or play games on the phone/computer. BUT, the thing is, we were only there for 2 full days and 2 partial days....and of those, DH got one full morning to himself from park opening until lunch time, PLUS another morning after we did Ratattouille, AND he got an afternoon on his own on the last day, and then he also had a morning where I took DS and he took DD....they did BTMRR, Indiana Jones coaster, Carrots of the Pirabbean....all the things he couldn't do with DS. And there was one more afternoon where DD and I were going to do stuff and had bad luck so we went back to the resort to stay with DS so DH could go back into the park and have fun...he chose to take a nap instead. So I had DS half the time, and he got a LOT of time by himself to do the things the kids wouldn't do. And that's just at DLP. When we went to WDW, we did one ride together at Blizzard Beach, and I didn't see him for the rest of the day, because DS didn't want to be left alone, so I stayed with him and took him to all the Winter Summer Games events while DH and DD did every ride in the park together...the whole day. I took the kids while he went on EE, I took DS when DH wanted to do BTMRR, and he took DD with him....and when DS had a meltdown because he didn't want to go into the Haunted Mansion after we had stood in line for half an hour, -I- was the one who took him out and let DH and DD go on the ride, because DS wouldn't even go into the building to the parent swap area...we had to walk back out of the line the way we came and I didn't get to go on the ride. So he makes it sound like it's no fun for him because he has to kid-sit while I do all the fun stuff when that is so not fair. I made SURE he got to do every ride he wanted to do at DLP...He had HOURS to do all the thrill rides. And now that the kids are getting older, DD is doing more of the thrill rides with him. I get motion sickness, so usually I'M the one who is not going on rides. But basically he's talking about not wanting to spend money on Disney. Well where else do you want to go? We're going to have the same situation with DS no matter where we go. One of us always has to stay with him while the others do the stuff....that's just the way it is. The alternative is we just never go on vacation. And pretty much every amusement park we go to involves me sitting with DS while either DH or DH and DD do things...so I feel like, the one thing -I- enjoy, he doesn't want to do because he has to sit out with DS half the time. Well welcome to my world! So now I don't know if we're even going to get to go to Disney again, and if we do, I'll be so stressed trying to make sure HE'S having fun that -I- won't get to have fun. I know it's not fun being the one stuck while the others are off doing their own things, but I've made sure that he's not the only one doing that, and apparently he doesn't feel I do a good job of splitting it up and ensuring he has his fun time. So he only wants to do the things where HE gets to enjoy it and I'M the one sitting there bored out of my mind while everyone else has a great time. He did say once several months ago "What about like....Italy, and Greece, and all those places we wanted to go?" And I reminded him then that we couldn't really do those things with the kids....at least not with DS. DS would not have a good time walking around museums or looking at ruins, or visiting beautiful examples of architecture...we have to wait until he's older for that anyway. But then I just don't know what he WANTS to do for vacation. And I don't want to have HIM pouting the whole time like a child because he didn't get his way. So...how do I get the Disney trip the rest of us really want to do, but also ensure he isn't a grumpus the whole time and that he doesn't resent me for making him endure yet another Disney vacation? Suggestions? Any of you have spouses who are luke warm on Disney? He never said ANYTHING about not enjoying our trips until I started talking about the next trip.
OK, you asked.....

We were a Disney Family, at least once a year for two weeks. It was great family bonding. Until 2005, that was the last Family Trip He took with us. We left him at home. He and I did do MouseFest without the kids and it was fun but again without the kids. Me and Kids just went without him. There are lots of people on the boards that have spouses that are not interested. Given the progress your son is making hopefully he will be able to be left by then for you to enjoy what he doesn't want to do. Also you and your DD can swap out with the special disability FPs. My guess is if the Hubs was always changing the plan in WDW not happy at DLP, he isn't going to be happy at WDW given how he is talking already. His wording of 'stuck' with the son is kinda telling that son might be your responsibility if you return to WDW so it might be best if you guys go enjoy Disney and don't drag him kicking and screaming to WDW where he doesn't want to be. Maybe he'd enjoy the solitude of looking at the Ruins by himself instead?

Gabe1

Yikes. Thank God I don't own a house or want to sell one. I thought all people did was clean the house and remove all the clutter before it was shown to potential buyers for sale.

I cleaned, I painted a few room. I reset a few rooms and removed a few pieces of furniture. Basically the house was in good order to start with, new doors, roof, garage door, the expensive replacements made. No way do we live in a demographic that puts in high end kitchens like that to sell. The ones that have them did it for themselves to use an enjoy. We put in a 7 person granite bar outside with a natural gas grill. We did that for us, our family not to sell the home.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Nice she will have a friend!

And Wow! She is just turning 3. Most kids would just have a fit but she had her thoughts all in order. Can't wait to see her at 4 years old, what a hoot she is. :inlove: Love your attitude, tough break kid. When did she finally decide to tell you what she had her short in a knot over...were you able to keep a straight face?

She's very expressive, I'll give her that, both in words and facial expressions. She's in a rough age with a lot of developmental growth, so she gets mad quite often at some pretty ridiculous things. We're so very grateful she has the words to express why, already. So many of her classmates just throw huge fits and I attribute her ability to remain in control of herself (most of the time) to her early usage of language to really express herself. If any of that makes sense.

So long story short, I laugh quietly to myself quite a bit when she gets mad.

Gabe1

Yes, the learning curve with the new toy--I was also unaware of the time it takes to heat up to the desired pressure. Add to that the prep time (which usually isn't long), but then it also depends on the end of the overall cooking time--if the recipe calls for natural release of pressure, quick release, or a combination of the both. (At least with slow cookers, it's a no brainer--dump the stuff inside, turn on, and come back at the end of cooking time. Done.)

Even with my crock I did prep. I'd braise the meat to seal the juices. I'd saute the onions and mushrooms, stuff like that before I dump'd it and forgot it. We shall see if I buy one. I'm a visual learner and my DD is the one that follows written instructions well. We also both go to YouTube when we are confused. Honestly, so far the meat itself it turning out better in the Instant Pot, more like when I use to slow roast meat at a low temperature. This is the opposite but more the same end results. Time will tell.

StarWarsGirl

. So...how do I get the Disney trip the rest of us really want to do, but also ensure he isn't a grumpus the whole time and that he doesn't resent me for making him endure yet another Disney vacation? Suggestions? Any of you have spouses who are luke warm on Disney? He never said ANYTHING about not enjoying our trips until I started talking about the next trip.
Oh men. Like I said before, he's normal. He doesn't want to deall with it, and it's not what he wants to do, so he would rather avoid it. My dad went through the same thing, although mine was at WFW about 13 or 14 times before I was even born, so there's that too. But other than that, it's exactly like my dad going to the mall with my brother. It was easier not to, so he chose not to.

I would plan for 2020. It's very rare for Disney not to follow up on an opening date once announced. RofL was a rare situation. And it gives your DS more time to mature and more time for your DH to get used to the idea.

The thing is that Disney is one of the best places for a child on the spectrum. The stimulation is actually good for them. We have always called our Disney trips "Disney therapy" because my brother always comes back doing better than when he left. We could basically do Disney trips or Hilton Head for the longest time with my brother. My parents wanted to go to Hawaii. That had to wait until he was older. So unless you're planning on leaving the kids home, your options are limited here.

But based on what you've told us, I really don't think the issue is Disney so much as it is your husband's attitude towards your son with this diagnosis. And that is the issue you need to work through more than anything, and it runs deeper than vacation plans, and it may require more assistance than we can give you on an internet board.

Of course if it were me, I would be like, "We're going to Disney, so..."
2.jpg

Gabe1

She's very expressive, I'll give her that, both in words and facial expressions. She's in a rough age with a lot of developmental growth, so she gets mad quite often at some pretty ridiculous things. We're so very grateful she has the words to express why, already. So many of her classmates just throw huge fits and I attribute her ability to remain in control of herself (most of the time) to her early usage of language to really express herself. If any of that makes sense.

So long story short, I laugh quietly to myself quite a bit when she gets mad.

Yes I understand exactly what you are saying. My son was very verbal like your DD long before he should have been. If he was angry at 2 years old I'd hear a voice and know he had grabbed the cordless phone and dialed up his Grandmother (my Mom) to tell on me. :cyclops: A few times told his Grandma she needed to come get him and he needed to 'stay with her a few days.' lol. His Grandma loves him to death and enjoyed spoiling him.

Flipside I had a totally non-verbal DD and I mean totally non-verbal, what came out of her mouth was gibberish that only her brother could translate. Oddly we found other ways of communicating. She had a very high IQ from young so she learned by herself to balance the world. She read chapter books by age 4 without being taught, she was a wiz on a computer etc. If she was tired she'd come into the kitchen in her jammies. When she got up in morning if I was not up she'd grab a juice box and fruit the pick out clothes and get dressed. She too was a hoot!

Gabe1

Oh men. Like I said before, he's normal. He doesn't want to deall with it, and it's not what he wants to do, so he would rather avoid it. My dad went through the same thing, although mine was at WFW about 13 or 14 times before I was even born, so there's that too. But other than that, it's exactly like my dad going to the mall with my brother. It was easier not to, so he chose not to.

I would plan for 2020. It's very rare for Disney not to follow up on an opening date once announced. RofL was a rare situation. And it gives your DS more time to mature and more time for your DH to get used to the idea.

The thing is that Disney is one of the best places for a child on the spectrum. The stimulation is actually good for them. We have always called our Disney trips "Disney therapy" because my brother always comes back doing better than when he left. We could basically do Disney trips or Hilton Head for the longest time with my brother. My parents wanted to go to Hawaii. That had to wait until he was older. So unless you're planning on leaving the kids home, your options are limited here.

But based on what you've told us, I really don't think the issue is Disney so much as it is your husband's attitude towards your son with this diagnosis. And that is the issue you need to work through more than anything, and it runs deeper than vacation plans, and it may require more assistance than we can give you on an internet board.

Of course if it were me, I would be like, "We're going to Disney, so..."
View attachment 256989

HA! I love that...Buck up, sissy pants.

Gabe1

And @Songbird76 my DD 2 cents worth after also laughing at Buck Up Sissy pants...

He has to give her something and what she wants is WDW every 3 years or so. She moved half way around the world for her hubby, far from her home and country. Coming back to the US to go to Disney every few years isn't a huge trade off for living in his country so far away from hers.

I have to say I agree with my DDs version of fairness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom