The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was talking to a co-worker and I told her I was looking forward to the in-the bird stuffing and she was jealous. They go to dinner at her sister-in-law's house and the sil doesn't put the stuffing in the bird because she is afraid of it not getting done. I told her that I'm willing to take my chances. There is only one Thanksgiving we got sick from the stuffing and that was the year when my mom got a new oven and it wasn't calibrated correctly the bird looked done but really wasn't up to temp, and mom didn't use a thermometer. We figured out it was the stuffing because only my dad didn't get sick. He doesn't like stuffing and hadn't eaten any and he was the only one that didn't get sick. So one time in many years, yep I'll gamble.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a food thermometer. I use it for so many things---microwaved cooking, oven cooking, and outdoors on the barbecue. Takes the guesswork out of safely cooking food.

Here's the one I use (from Kohls) --

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMbw1YPE2dcCFcULNwodEOAELg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep, I’m only about 300 pages behind... :(

Yea!!! It's Wrangler-Rick!! We missed you!

Happy holidays and welcome back. :)

Here's a lovely holiday ensemble for your horses. :D

51RQEeGwUQL._SY300_.jpg

MySmallWorldof4

I'll ask my son. He is going to sell many of hit sets with games on ebay. Have about 20 years of old systems with games that just sit there.
It is nuts oh what he has but hung onto.
That will be awesome of you to ask. :happy:I just cannot afford the prices on Ebay though,:oops: so if he is looking to make money I wouldn't want you to guilt him into selling to me.
I was out voted on the turkey this year, there will be 12 of us for Christmas dinner and we are out most day so we will do raclette in the evening. It is easy and we can have lots of different food to suit everyone's tastes. Still going to miss my turkey thou...

Yes, traditionally the Dutch don't do presents at Christmas. Our present day is 5 December, the birthday of Sinterklaas. However since none of the adults ever need more stuff we usually just agree to do something nice together, like dinner in a fancy restaurant or a day out instead of wasting money on presents no one wants. It also cuts down on the stress of thinking of something to buy;)
By raclette do you mean a fondue of sorts? We had fondue one Christmas. It was fun. A few years back I did a Tex Mex Christmas with a fajita bar. It was a lot of work, but the food was delicious and it was different. Last year we ordered in for the first time from Olive Garden. I just didn't feel like cooking for everyone. We always have Christmas at our house and the supermarket trip can be expensive. Olive Garden for all was just over $100. Enjoyed by all.:hungry::)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sure hope they Pups continue to behave. Poor Kapono though, patience of a saint.

She is so patient with the little one. He chews on her and she just sits there and doesn't snap at him or anything. I'm trying to make sure she gets her walk so she gets some "Kapono" time.

So what goes wrong with the gravy, taste, texture, thickness or.....???? I've mastered beef gravy. I've yet to find one that rivals as better. Coming closer with Chicken/Turkey.

I don't know, i must use too much fatas it usually tastes greasy. The meat flavor just isn't there. The pan dripping looks so good and rich this year I was hopeful, it is passable but not great. Hubs doesn't like gravy so thanksgiving is the only time I attempt to make it. I usually just doctor up jarred beef gravy with hens and wine for other dishes throughout the year.

We didn't go out to eat often either, it came with families younger than ours as the norm. Growing up there was always Pepsi and Mt Dew available, my Sis love'd her 'lapa dew' even as a preschooler though the volume was age appropriate. I always remember candy and cookies in the house but I believe because it wasn't a 'special' thing we never gave any of that any special consideration over any other type of food or drink. Growing up we were never a family that ate volumes even in growth years, neither were my kids.

My folks actually had a bar in the finished basement, a thing back then. My folks were not big drinkers, there was sooo much liquior behind that bar but we never touched it, guess our minds never went there. My clients through the years gave me many bottles and it too sat in the basement. As my son hit his high school years I had a reality check, I didn't know what was all down there. I'd never know if bottles disappeared. We were never going to drink all that stuff nor our guests. I kept a bottle each of the 'basics' and poured all the rest down the drain and half filled a recycling bin wondering what the garbage man was going to think of me. :rolleyes:

My mom was a wonderful baker so we always had baked goods around the house. There weren't restrictions put on them but I don't remember overdoing it because there was always stuff. My dad has a sweet tooth so my mom did a lot of baking for his lunches.

Because she was a great baker I really can't stand pre-packed cookies. Hubs loves them, he would rather have homemade, but his mom didn't bake when he was a kid. So he grew up with chips ahoy and Oreos, two things I never buy because I can make better.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
One of the best purchases I ever made was a food thermometer. I use it for so many things---microwaved cooking, oven cooking, and outdoors on the barbecue. Takes the guesswork out of safely cooking food.

Here's the one I use (from Kohls) --

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2178742/food-network-waterproof-digital-thermometer.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=FOOD PREP&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=99427474&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835012&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItIfzgcTZ1wIVSrjACh2a5AhWEAQYAyABEgIC3fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMbw1YPE2dcCFcULNwodEOAELg

Hubs has a couple thermometers that he uses for smoking meat so I have used those it is helpful.

MySmallWorldof4

My mom was a wonderful baker so we always had baked goods around the house. There weren't restrictions put on them but I don't remember overdoing it because there was always stuff. My dad has a sweet tooth so my mom did a lot of baking for his lunches.

Because she was a great baker I really can't stand pre-packed cookies. Hubs loves them, he would rather have homemade, but his mom didn't bake when he was a kid. So he grew up with chips ahoy and Oreos, two things I never buy because I can make better.
Homemade Oreos? Do tell!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom