The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Well, I love history in general...I like learning about other people and how they live(d). I've done my family genealogy as far back as I could find...my g-g-g-g-grandfather fought in the Revolutionary war. He was captured by the British and held in the Sugar house for a few months. His grandson, my g-g- grandfather fought in the Civil War...he was a captain. He was also the Secretary of State in Kansas for a while, and he was a stone mason who built his own home and 3 churches, at which he preached...he was a minister. He apparently spent some time as a fur trapper/trader, too. I'm at a loss to find out what he DIDN'T do. It sounds like he was a jack of all trades. And supposedly his wife was a distant cousin to President McKinley, but I'll be darned if I can find the connection. (She WAS a McKinley, but I can't find the relative they have in common) There was a story that she attended a rally and he called her "cousin". Moving on to my grandfather, he fought in WWII. I found some fantastic pictures of him in his uniform in his later years when we were cleaning out my dad's house. My dad's brother was something like 15 years older than him and he fought in WWII, but I don't know exactly where. I think my mom said France, but I know HER brother moved around and sent things to her from different places, so I doubt my dad's brother only went to one place. And then my dad served in the Korean War, but he busted his knee the 2nd day of training in a fight with another guy and they found some sort of office job for him for his remaining service. So I have a lot of relatives with military history, but I find WWII the most fascinating. Although I love learning about the people themselves, outside of the war. My family is pretty interesting, in my humble opinion.

DWifey can trace her pops family in this country (or, not even our own country at that point ;)) back to the Revolutionary War, as well.
As far as her moms side, and my mom and pops sides, they all came through the Port of Galveston in the late 1800's. Although, we have traced many of those lineages back many generations in the "Old Country", it has been more difficult.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Good cop, bad cop. I try to keep Jack on a healthy diet of vet-approved dog food. Treats are on occasion only, as too many treats aren't good for their health. Hubs, on the other hand, undoes all the good I attempt to do, and insists on giving him treats every day. :banghead:

So you and hubs balance each other out with Jack? ;)

Walt loved his Dairy Queen and Dixie Cups. I miss him but he had a good and tastee life. In fairness I don't always eat what I should. I'd never survive on what vets believe animals should eat. In the wild they'd never naturally find those foods

My female golden before Walt had so many allergies from grass to grains and then some, contact and ingested. I finally blew off the Vet approved foods and went with real people oatmeal for her 2 meals a day and a handful of cooked ground meat for protein in between. She loved loved loved oatmeal. Her coat got better as did her skin hot spots. I have mixed reactions to Vets and recommendations. Here they are a mix of care and profit margins and many of the 'special' dog foods are beyond pricey. :banghead:

Gabe1

Oh boy, if I had a dollar for every time last year even that my phone wouldn't connect to the Disney network...I could have paid for our resort stay! It was terrible! When we got there, we gave the resort my husband's phone info to send the text because my phone just would not connect. We never did get the text that our room was ready. But it seemed only ONE of our phones worked at any given time, if we could get one to connect. Their system is still not great.

I've over the years I've have had more issues with my phones at WDW then anywhere else in the country, by far too. It has gotten better....obviously still has its issues. Even in our resort rooms the WiFi is often still overwhelmed at certain times during a given day. Texts that your resort rooms are ready is wide spread fails, genuinely hit or miss. I generally avoid pre-check in, my DD though seems to want to like it. Disney is still way behind reliability though admittedly it is much better than when the first MB's were launched.

My DS I'd say up until 4 years ago had to turn his phone off during work to keep his battery from going dead during his workday and he wasn't even in a park. It just kept dropping and searching-repeat. While better it should have been perfected long before that.

Gabe1

Most are 16-22 depending on the course. The last several years they didn't have any classes together and this year they are making up for it. Chorus was an automatic class together together

That is nice. Should make a nice transition. How large is their Freshman class?
We are an area of tiny towns so we do a co-op high school of 7 or 8 communities and special ed being a county wide effort for the greater good. I think my DD and DS had around 800 in their graduating class each. Made for having classes with close friends-not happen. On the flip side it made them reach out to new people which was great, more my DD though, my DS was always a social butterfly and the boys seemed to attract more than his fair share of the girls.

Gabe1

Oh it could totally be the demographics. Mostly, our little town consisted of 2 types of families...either one or both of the parents worked for one of the coal mines, or they were ranchers. They were mostly happy 2 parent homes, the model of old-fashioned family values where dad went out and worked and mom stayed home and tended to the house and kids. In the families where both parents worked, either the kids fended for themselves, or the mom took care of the house and kids when she got home from work. That's just the way it was...it was quite scandalous in the church when my parents divorced. There were plenty in the congregation who thought my mom should be excommunicated and I was told by one girl in my class that we didn't really have a REAL family, because we didn't have a dad. And that we didn't belong in the church as much as she did. She had more right to be there because they were a REAL family. (not everyone was like that...there were several, but certainly not a majority. Several families ended up leaving our church because of those members who were so incredibly judgmental.) So it's possible that my experience is not indicative of the National norm, but it certainly struck me that there was a HUGE difference between what I grew up with and what it was like in the Netherlands.

From my life with my kids your life in the Netherlands is very different than it is here. Further..over the years in the forums we have had many very good Mom's practically raising their children on their own and doing a fabulous job of it, molding kids into future productive adults.

We all have stories of friends and extended family but we are sure a group of different first hand experiences even on this thread. Most of us have things we could have done differently if we had do overs. No matter how we spin it none of us are perfect parents or adults including the good and bad times raising our kids.

Gabe1

{{HUGS}} If it makes you feel any better I did get morning sickness once each pregnancy. Time to find a bigger boulder:oops::oops::oops::oops:

200.webp

Though I didn't suffer from Morning Sickness too badly (though I did throw out one robe cause I sat up unexpectedly from a sound sleep and had zero time to reach my bathroom-enter robe on my bed that went into the trash) in no way shape or form was I a Glowing Mom to be either time. The 9# boy that broke my tail bone and the DD that loved to sucker punch my kidney's for fun...it was anything but an enjoyable experience. But both times I left the hospital in my pre Prego clothing so there was an upside to it all being done with.

Gabe1

I'm sure Disney will get the share of the markets they're looking for sports fans, families with young children, and Disney nerds. I may drop Netflix and add Disney depending on the cost and offerings. We have Hulu for movies and network shows and we're going to pick up CBS in the fall so maybe we'll switch. Netflix stock didn't take the news well at all.

We dropped Hulu and kept Netflix. I'm a fan. If it is up to me I could skip Disney.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So you and hubs balance each other out with Jack? ;)

Walt loved his Dairy Queen and Dixie Cups. I miss him but he had a good and tastee life. In fairness I don't always eat what I should. I'd never survive on what vets believe animals should eat. In the wild they'd never naturally find those foods

My female golden before Walt had so many allergies from grass to grains and then some, contact and ingested. I finally blew off the Vet approved foods and went with real people oatmeal for her 2 meals a day and a handful of cooked ground meat for protein in between. She loved loved loved oatmeal. Her coat got better as did her skin hot spots. I have mixed reactions to Vets and recommendations. Here they are a mix of care and profit margins and many of the 'special' dog foods are beyond pricey. :banghead:

The truth is whatever works for your own dog is all that matters. They're all different, with different needs, just like people. I only get peeved with hubs when he overdoes the treats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom