The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Living life....
DFZNZBZXcAAKkz-.jpg
DFZNxuuXsAAK6AF.jpg

Maybe more tomorrow as hopefully we can navigate our town.

Nasty.

So, I just had a stray thought, as I was looking at the damaged trees. Whenever a big storm like that hits, I wonder what the birds do? In other words, I wonder if they have a way of knowing that a storm is coming, and if they fly miles away to safety, prior to the storm's arrival?

This thought entered my mind, as I recall years ago, just prior to when the tsunami hit the Phillipines, all the animals went up to the tops of the highest hills to safety. Don't know if it was something they smelled in the air, or some vibrations from the ground, etc., but they all knew to get the heck out.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We went to the zoo today. They have a new area called the Mangrove that has Butterflies, Manatees, and Turtles. DD really wanted to see the Butterflies, so we decided to put our annual passes to good use. I was a bit nervous because I heard on the radio earlier in the week that butterflies had escaped and I didn't know how many, or if they were recovered. But it was fantastic. We walked in and I went to point out a butterfly sitting on a leaf to DD when another one landed right on my outstretched finger. DD was jealous because she's always wanted a butterfly to land on her. DH took a picture, but it's on his phone and I asked him to send it to me, but he hasn't yet. We walked on and there was a guy who had several sitting on him...both kids embarked on a mission to get butterflies to land on them. DS had one, but I wasn't quick enough to get a picture and he was very upset. They sat on some rocks and were very still for a bit.
View attachment 217284
View attachment 217285
We moved on to the part with the glass wall where you could watch the manatees and fish, and we sat on these little steps there and 2 butterflies came and landed, one on each shoulder....another picture DH has on his phone. DS was angry because one of the blue ones had landed on everyone but him. They were not attracted to his white shirt...they LOVED my sea green shirt, and DD was in the same color. As we were walking off, one of the bigger blue ones came and landed on my shirt and would not leave. We were wanting to leave the area to go see the new Mangrove Musical, but I tried walking and it just clung to my shirt...I tried shaking the shirt...he held on. I finally had to get help from one of the people who works there, and she got it off the front...it flew off and landed promptly on my behind. So she got her paper and scraped him off me again. Dobby was a free elf! We should have just stayed in the mangrove...the musical was pretty bad. It was great for little ones....it was a blacklight thing, so really bright colors, which kids love, and it was cheesy, but the singing was just...not good. I've heard worse, but never in a professional performance like that. But at least we got to see the butterflies, and before we went there, we made a side trip to the dessert area to see the owls (burrowing owls....didn't know they existed) and the bighorn sheep. So all in all, it was a great time.
They're all adorable but your children are growing up so fast:joyfull: So very happy all of you got to get out and enjoy some fun time together.

Songbird76

So, I just had a stray thought, as I was looking at the damaged trees. Whenever a big storm like that hits, I wonder what the birds do? In other words, I wonder if they have a way of knowing that a storm is coming, and if they fly miles away to safety, prior to the storm's arrival?

This thought entered my mind, as I recall years ago, just prior to when the tsunami hit the Phillipines, all the animals went up to the tops of the highest hills to safety. Don't know if it was something they smelled in the air, or some vibrations from the ground, etc., but they all knew to get the heck out.
I know I've heard animals sense barometric changes, and in Wyoming, ranchers predict storms by watching the behavior of the cattle/bison. When there's a big snow storm coming, cattle will huddle together with their rears pointed in the direction from which the storm will come. Bison will face it head on. But I don't know about tornadoes and things, and a few years ago, there was a nasty hail storm in my home town....TONS of damage. There were houses that looked like someone used them for shooting practice, all pockmarked from the hail. And people found dead birds all over the place...there was no where for them to take cover and it was late enough in the year that the birds had migrated back north after the winter. So I'm guessing they didn't feel the coming storm...or that there was nowhere for them to go in the time before the storm hit. But that might just be Wyoming because everything is so spread out there and it's pretty barren...not many trees for cover. I doubt birds would fly 100 miles to avoid one fluke storm, but I could be wrong.

Songbird76

They're all adorable but your children are growing up so fast:joyfull: So very happy all of you got to get out and enjoy some fun time together.
They really are!! DD only has one more year of elementary school. And she's extremely grown up and mature. DS is going into 5th grade, which is scary for this mama!! He still seems so young to me! But a lot can happen in a short time. We're enjoying our days out. I'm excited for the Efteling....I'll have a lot of pictures to post of that one, I hope. That reminds me, where does one post a trip report that is non-Disney?

StarWarsGirl

Sleeping babies always awesome. Congrat's. Did the two of them bond any better as the evening went on? Who gets to sleep with you?
Jasmine is still restricted to the basement. I'd be afraid to let her sleep with me at this point; she's too small. She's only 8 weeks old and weighs about two pounds at this point. Belle slept with me as usual, and that will likely continue.

With cats, it's a process, but the good thing is that Belle knows Jasmine's there, and shecs totally fine about it. I had Jasmine playing up by the baby gate, and Belle was all curious about her. So we shall see. They'll work it out.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Kapono and I are having a relaxing morning on the porch. We have invaders coming today. My sister's dogs are being dropped off and will be with us until the first week in August, since my sister and fam will be on vacation. The dogs all get along fine, but my sister's youngest dog still likes to play and chew on Kapono a lot. I've tried to warn her about the invasion and she was more cuddly last night after I told her but peace and quiet for Kapono will be gone for awhile....

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We were going to go to the zoo today. I checked the weather app on my phone and it said cloudy with zero chance of rain. As I was checking the weather in my phone, the skies opened up and dropped buckets of rain on us :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So we went to Bob Evans for piggy pancakes and then went to the bookstore to play with Thomas the Train :inlove:

Songbird76

We were going to go to the zoo today. I checked the weather app on my phone and it said cloudy with zero chance of rain. As I was checking the weather in my phone, the skies opened up and dropped buckets of rain on us :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So we went to Bob Evans for piggy pancakes and then went to the bookstore to play with Thomas the Train :inlove:
So you're saying the weather app doesn't understand percentages? Sorry about the zoo plans, but pancakes and a bookstore sound pretty good to me!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Piggy pancakes? Are those like pigs in a blanket with sausage wrapped in pancakes? Or is there bacon too?

Sorry about the rain. Maybe it will clear off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom