The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
They don't get out until the end of June too in NJ right? My SIL is a teacher in Clifton and she said their last day is in the 20's. Forget which day but here in PA they are done Memorial Day weekend. Public schools don't get as many holidays here. You would think though that they would give a week reprieve for the kids so families could go on a vacation.
OMG another small world thing we had a friend who taught in Clifton left there years ago and I grew up near there. I can't believe how much has been built up in that area:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: The little strip mall that had a Bradlees now is a mega plex with restaurants and movie theater, route 3 doesn't have a square inch of land that doesn't seem to have something built on it:(

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sympathy like. That stinks, but for the pool. Hoping we have a super hot summer so you can enjoy it.:)
THNX a hot summer is forecast so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hanging poolside all summer isn't exactly the end of the world:joyfull: My dh is on the overnight so that throws another monkey wrench into plan making. He'll need a couple of days at either end to adjust to days and nights.

donaldtoo

It is crazy what some people can afford. I don't begrudge them any success, just wonder what the heck do they do and what degree should my husband and me have gotten instead?:confused: My kids would love a room just for tumbling. I drag our plain tumbling mats into the family room so my 6 year old can practice.

Yes, pretty darn crazy...!!! :confused:
I usually ('cause I'm curious ;)) ask the partner what the client(s) do for a living. We've done homes for owners of high tech companies, doctors, lawyers, car dealers, politicians, etc., and everything in between. In this particular case I was told they do nothing...one of them is a trust fund baby... :cyclops: Must be nice...! :rolleyes:
And, obviously, their 3 kiddos are still young because of all the stuff they want for them in the home.
More trust fund babies, I guess...?! :oops: ;)

MySmallWorldof4

Yes, pretty darn crazy...!!! :confused:
I usually ('cause I'm curious ;)) ask the partner what the client(s) do for a living. We've done homes for owners of high tech companies, doctors, lawyers, car dealers, politicians, etc., and everything in between. In this particular case I was told they do nothing...one of them is a trust fund baby... :cyclops: Must be nice...! :rolleyes:
And, obviously, their 3 kiddos are still young because of all the stuff they want for them in the home.
More trust fund babies, I guess...?! :oops: ;)
Gosh! :confused:

MySmallWorldof4

OMG another small world thing we had a friend who taught in Clifton left there years ago and I grew up near there. I can't believe how much has been built up in that area:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: The little strip mall that had a Bradlees now is a mega plex with restaurants and movie theater, route 3 doesn't have a square inch of land that doesn't seem to have something built on it:(
Ha! I know that Bradless, or used to. DH and I went there once when we were dating cause he needed to get something. Been to that megaplex area. Ate at the Applebees there. Think is was an Applebees. I cannot stand it there!! So overcrowded. DH's family all still live in Clifton. We haven't been there is years since we moved to PA. They all come out here to visit to get some fresh air.;)

donaldtoo

How in the heck did you get that? Pretty amazing!!!! I remember reading a blog from someone on Allears that as a kid he grew up near DL in the 50's. He saw many tossed animated cells in a garbage and wanted to take them but his mom said no. He regretted that in the article. I guess back then they saw cells as garbage and not art.

Oh my!!!
Depending on what those cels were from, they could be worth a small fortune today...!!! :oops:
I've seen single cels from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs priced as high as $18,500...!!! :greedy:
Back in the late 30's an art gallery owner from San Francisco named Guthrie Courvoisier made a deal with Walt and Roy to start marketing the cels in fine art galleries all over the country.
Here's a bit about that...

http://www.waltdisney.com/blog/courvoisier-galleries-selling-disney-magic

The pieces I have all came with certificates of authenticity from a reputable online site.
Apparently, a lot of these things would be found (just one example) in a box in the attic after an old Disney animator passed away, as his family was going through his old things, and would be sold cheap at a garage/yard sale. Again, just one example. There are, of course, many other ways they end up on the market. I haven't bought any more pieces in several years, but, I may start up again, soon...! :D ;) :)

Anyway, here's a link the site I purchased them from...

http://www.animationartgallery.com/

MySmallWorldof4

Oh my!!!
Depending on what those cels were from, they could be worth a small fortune today...!!! :oops:
I've seen single cels from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs priced as high as $18,500...!!! :greedy:
Back in the late 30's an art gallery owner from San Francisco named Guthrie Courvoisier made a deal with Walt and Roy to start marketing the cels in fine art galleries all over the country.
Here's a bit about that...

http://www.waltdisney.com/blog/courvoisier-galleries-selling-disney-magic

The pieces I have all came with certificates of authenticity from a reputable online site.
Apparently, a lot of these things would be found (just one example) in a box in the attic after an old Disney animator passed away, as his family was going through his old things, and would be sold cheap at a garage/yard sale. Again, just one example. There are, of course, many other ways they end up on the market. I haven't bought any more pieces in several years, but, I may start up again, soon...! :D ;) :)

Anyway, here's a link the site I purchased them from...

http://www.animationartgallery.com/
Thanks for the site. Just took a peek. $350 for a Cinderella cell. Doesn't seem too terrible for a piece of history. I will have to take time and really go through the site.

donaldtoo

As I remember it, and I may be wrong, the company that owned Children's Place was running the stores. Disney didn't like how it was being run and then took them over. Then a few years back they went through a whole redesign where it seemed that princesses had just taken over. That was the last time we had been in one.

Yes, Disney repurchased all of those Stores from Children's Place about 16 months before I became a CM there.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/02/business/fi-disney2

And yes, at one point there was a 5-year plan to have all Disney Stores reimagined as "Imagination Park" Stores. At some point along the way, that overall plan was scaled way back.
As of right now, the Store I worked at is still one of the old "Pink and Green" Stores. :)

93boomer

Premium Member
So do you remember Ford chewing gum?
64c928c06c4a2dc15fa8a305314faa48.jpg

or remember Disney's Pluto the Collapsing Dog?
19861c775a064c7d44a340c751837191.jpg

Or the day you could mail a letter or make a phone call on most major corners?
8e8ffb918c224c5e96403da0b67a3a0e.jpg

Or the day you could purchase cigarettes as easily as a bottle of water?
e20a91242fe4090390be57ecb3b61796.jpg

Did you play KerPlunk? (I still have mine)
bf5dc0d41faf5ff71138ba47530fb9a9.jpg

Do you remember the creepity Mr. Clock from Capt. Kangaroo?
3071e4eb81ba6f6977e63792b9d53838.jpg

Do you remember making hard plastic labels?
d84e55f073784ae26f674b38c1ac008d.jpg

Did your home have this doll house during your childhood?
My Sis did. (Me I liked guns, GI Joe and baseball more)
d1343b9e624a83bb23d2ca7c5a2ded63.jpg
Yes to all. We still have the dollhouse!

93boomer

Premium Member
I'm a bit upset. It seems between chorus and band we won't be able to get away for even a long weekend this summer:( I guess I'll be at the pool quite a bit:joyfull: It's not getting away but it's not home:hilarious:
Sympathy like. I feel your pain. At least, I can understand it. My sisters both had dancers and band members that had practice, recitals, and band camp all summer. They had to try and work vacation around all. Most of the time, they just gave up on having a vacation in the summer. At least you have a pool! :)

93boomer

Premium Member
So had a follow-up doctor appt this morning about the asthma. We are keeping with the plan since it is working. Very happy to be able to breathe better than I have in years. :happy: Blood pressure not so good though. :banghead: But, in my defense, I did have to wait 10 mts. to check in so I was late seeing the dtr. And I have bloody white coat syndrome! Anyhow, really got to watch that sodium this week. Going back for follow-up in 6 months. :(

Figgy1

Premium Member
Ha! I know that Bradless, or used to. DH and I went there once when we were dating cause he needed to get something. Been to that megaplex area. Ate at the Applebees there. Think is was an Applebees. I cannot stand it there!! So overcrowded. DH's family all still live in Clifton. We haven't been there is years since we moved to PA. They all come out here to visit to get some fresh air.;)
Yup it's Applebee's and yes it's way too crowded there. I avoid that intersection at all costs. The last time I was there I was down visiting somebody in the area and stopped in to see if I could get a certain book. Never again! Believe it or not it was at one time quiet enough for me to ride my bike down that street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom